PDA

View Full Version : Quick animal companion question

NavyBlue
2014-02-20, 09:21 PM
Can an ape wear magic gauntlets? Amulets? Etc?

Tathum
2014-02-20, 09:33 PM
Most animal companions I have in the campaigns I run I allow to wear necklaces (collars) and barding. Don't think I would let an ape use gauntlets and rings.

Still, it's kind of up to the DM. It probably wouldn't upset things too much if they get to use one or two more magic items, but it should ultimately be their decision. If I were running the game, I would definitely allow bracers at the very least and maybe even a simple weapon, like a cestus.

Omegas
2014-02-20, 09:58 PM
Cant say I have seen anything to restrict it. Honestly you can buy Banding (armor) for your mounts and companions and there are no rules against enchanting them. The thing is, it is usually hard enough to magic gear yourself up. Spending large portions of your wealth on your companion only reduces what you can equip.

Companions (even Apes) would not be proficient with melee weapons so their natural attacks would be better. Anything with a command word or items that required mental manipulation like a floating shield would not work for a companion.

Morphie
2014-02-20, 10:07 PM
This (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031125a)might come in handy :)

In our group we made a houserule in which we must buy items made specifically for the animal - with the exception of amulets and others that might easily adapted to fit the anatomy of other creatures. But yes, IMHO the animal companion can wear magic items if he has that slot.