PDA

View Full Version : Little modifications to bump classes up at least a tier.

aleucard
2014-02-20, 10:33 PM
I'm interested in what you people can come up with to take some of the weaker classes up a notch or twenty. The groundrules are as follows;

1, it has to be something simple to explain. If you need more than 3 paragraphs and maybe 1 table to go over the long and short of its rules, then it's probably not allowed.

2, it can't be copying the majority of another class' abilities; we already know gestalt makes classes better, be creative. Ones that take specific abilities (except for casting, invocations, maneuvers, and similar) are allowed, however.

3, the base class (the one you're modifying) has to be T3 or worse, or have a tier adjustment of +0 or worse if a prestige class. The classes that are better than those lines already are powerful enough, they don't need any help.

4, it has to be something easily understood. A semi-newbie DM with a working knowledge on a good chunk of the material out there should be able to get both RAW and RAI from at most 2 readings.

Just to show how good a sport I am, I'll demonstrate. This should give you a decent format, also.

Ability Name: Adaptive Learning
Class Altered: DnD 3.5 Fighter

The Fighter is allowed, with 1 hours' focus and moderate exercise, to change their chosen Fighter Bonus Feats to any other they qualify for at that time. If a specific feat is a mandatory prerequisite for a feat that is being kept (either because it's a FBF that the user wants to keep or because it was taken with a regular slot), it can't be swapped out, though if the user gains a level that affords a normal feat slot they can move the feat to that one immediately and select a new FBF as normal. If the fighter takes another class that has certain feats tied specifically to it (Metamagic for casters, Sneak Attack Modifiers for rogue-types, etc.), those feats may be added to the list of feats the Fighter may use their FBF slots for, though with the training time required to swap them increased to 4 hours (if those feats aren't being swapped, use the 1 hour time as normal).

What do you think? If possible, tell me if you think it'll nudge him up a tier. Considering how close he was already, I'd say yes. The fact that it's not only an actual class feature but one that works with what he already has is a nice bonus.

Grod_The_Giant
2014-02-20, 10:46 PM
The Paladin:

Smite Evil deals +d6 damage/level, and may be used once every 1d4 rounds.
Spellcasting is based off charisma; You know all spells on the list, and may cast them spontaneously; and you may cast one extra spell/day or each level.
Lay on Hands may be refilled 1/2 Cha modifier times/day with 10 minutes of prayer. You may expend 10 points to use Remove Disease.
Battle Blessing as a bonus feat at 6th level.
At 10th level, your mount gains a fly speed equal to its base land speed.

See also (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275054).

GoodbyeSoberDay
2014-02-20, 11:37 PM
Any class can at least appear to be higher tier by optimizing more than the other folks at the table. Bubs can make commoners look overpowered. With that out of the way...

Sorcerer:
Play (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/p/paragon-surge) Pathfinder (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/expanded-arcana).

Fighter:
Dungeon-crasher: T4. Zhentarim Dungeon Crasher with 6+int skill points, relevant class skills, full attack as a (special) standard action starting level 6, T3*.

Barbarian:
Gain scout's Flawless Stride, unlimited use twisted charge, Steadfast Determination as a bonus feat, T3*.

Paladin:
They're already T3 if you give them stuff like Battle Blessing and SotAO. Just give them the pathfinder chassis with 3.5 turn undead, encourage the ACF stuff, and be done with it. Maybe throw in some devotion feats related to their deity, if they have one...

Warlock:
Hellfire (or similar) as a class feature. They were super high T4 anyway; bump that consistent damage and they're solidly in T3.

CW Samurai:
Replace TWF stuff with general bonus feats, throw in Imperious Command and Never Outnumbered for free at low levels. T5 at least.

Monk:
Full BaB, swift action movement, and free partially charged wands :smallwink:

*If Warblades are T3, this is T3.

Phelix-Mu
2014-02-21, 12:10 AM
Soulknife:
- Full BAB

- +1 mind blade at 3rd, improvements every three levels thereafter

- +1 mind blade enhancement at 5th, improvements every three levels thereafter; expand list of selections to include all weapon special abilities that aren't gp-based.

- Expanded Shape Mindblade Abilities: Pick a Martial Weapon at 4th, pick an exotic weapon at 10th.

- Bonus feat (fighter or psionic) at 2nd/5th/8th/11th/14th/17th/20th.

- Deceive Item like warlock but for UPD, warlock-like Imbue Item at 10th for psionic item creation stuff.

- Add psionic feats that allow Psychic Strike to affect more enemies, add damage based on how many psionic feats the soulknife has.

Aiming for T3 without incorporating manifesting. Tricky...getting to T3 without a subsystem definitely takes some doing. Not quite sure this covers it yet, but didn't want to make it too complicated.

Monk:
- Full BAB; you hit things. Now HIT THEM!

- Wisdom to attack and damage (at least instead of strength, but could be in addition to as well).

- 6+Int Mod Skill Points

- Brains Over Brawn, but for adding Wisdom-mod to Dex and Str-based skills and checks, including combat maneuvers.

- Monk may move up to half their speed as a swift action every round.

Telonius' Arcane Archer Fix:
- Refluff warlock: Such an interesting idea I thought I'd post it. Hope Telonius doesn't mind, and that I've not left out any significant details.

aleucard
2014-02-21, 03:08 PM
I was mainly shooting for specific abilities that add new dimensions to the class without changing it any other way, rather than things like modding existing abilities like an ACF. Meh, it technically fits, but still. I'd like to hear what you guys thought of my idea in the original post.

Anyway, another idea.

Ability Name: Soulborn Weapon
Classes Altered: Warblade, Crusader, Swordsage

In trade for reducing their weapons proficiency to the weapons focused on by the styles they learn from in their first level (can learn the weapons of another school if 3+ maneuvers or 1 maneuver & 1 stance of the new school is learned), they gain the ability to manifest a supernatural copy of a single weapon they have proficiency with (if the weapon can be dual-wielded, then as many as is allowable can be manifested). This copy has a hardness equal to the user's Will save, and HP equal to their level plus their Constitution or Wisdom score, whichever is higher. If the weapon is destroyed by any means other than being dispelled (whether by another person or the user's free action), another can't be manifested for 2d6 rounds (may have a relevant will save to reduce this to 1 round).

This manifested weapon is in all other ways besides visual identical to a masterwork version of that weapon, though it always counts as magical. The user may add enchantments to the weapon, though the various weapons share enchantments unless in an incompatible form (an enchantment for a slashing weapon won't work with a bludgeoning weapon, for example). If the user is wielding a material version of the weapon, the enchantments are combined as if there's one weapon with all the enchantments of both on it (though most overlapping enchantments don't count for double). The process of enchanting the supernatural weapon requires expenditures equal to the cost of enchanting a normal weapon.

Grod_The_Giant
2014-02-21, 03:24 PM
Your original idea? Ehh... it helps, I guess? Fighter was so close to T4 that it might be enough to push them up, but it doesn't really address most of the classes' issues. Ironically, it makes the fighter an even better dip, since one level can turn any feat into a floating bonus feat.

I'm not sure what Soulborn Weapon is supposed to do.

May I ask why you're so attached to new mechanics? Improving existing ones seems to better fit the mark of "simple to explain and understand."

aleucard
2014-02-21, 04:16 PM
Your original idea? Ehh... it helps, I guess? Fighter was so close to T4 that it might be enough to push them up, but it doesn't really address most of the classes' issues. Ironically, it makes the fighter an even better dip, since one level can turn any feat into a floating bonus feat.

I'm not sure what Soulborn Weapon is supposed to do.

May I ask why you're so attached to new mechanics? Improving existing ones seems to better fit the mark of "simple to explain and understand."

To answer your question, it's because simple stat adjustments are almost literally mindless and don't really add anything interesting to a character. I was hoping for something creative and amusing, not just flat moving of sliders for the existing tables.

Soulborn Weapon was something I was thinking would be similar to a cross between the Kensai PrC and the Soulknife base class. It ensures the user isn't unarmed at almost all times (and even if he fights unarmed normally, he can take one of the schools that has unarmed strike as a school-specialized weapon), and doesn't make having an actual weapon redundant as long as proper attention is made to enchantments. The fact that it guarantees that he has something that at least might work if he runs into a ghost as a non-caster at all times is gravy.

What class issues (besides the big one that feats do not equal class features even in these numbers) does this not address? A fighter with this if built right can adjust to fill any role that his feats will allow for inside of at most 4 hours, and while fairly limited regardless that is a VERY large amount of ground that's covered. And yes, this DOES make the class much more tasty for dipping; part of the utility of this class was as dip-material in the first place, and giving him a jury-rigged version of the Chameleon's floating feat sounds perfect for that. I envision the 3.5 fighter to be best built as a switch-hitter under this setup. Maybe add a second class feature that lets the user have a second list of selected feats, and the user can switch between them once every couple minutes with 1 round of focus? That should make even more versatility, that STILL works with what's already there.

Grod_The_Giant
2014-02-21, 05:37 PM
To answer your question, it's because simple stat adjustments are almost literally mindless and don't really add anything interesting to a character. I was hoping for something creative and amusing, not just flat moving of sliders for the existing tables.
I think boosting trademark-but-near-useless abilities like the paladin's smite or the hexblade's curse are key parts of any decent class fix, but I understand where you're coming from.

What class issues (besides the big one that feats do not equal class features even in these numbers) does this not address?
You can fill any roll... provided that it doesn't require different equipment, or abilities not obtainable through fighter bonus feats.

Anyway, to provide something constructive again, the Knight:

<Good Fort save like he should have had, 4+Int skill points, add Bluff, Craft, Diplomacy, Knowledge (History), Listen, Profession, Sense Motive, and Spot to the list of class skills, gain Tower Shield proficiency>
Tower Shield proficiency
Fighting Spirit: When attacking a foe under the effect of one of your challenges, you deal bonus damage, based on your opponent's challenge rating:

{table=head]Opponent's CR|Bonus Damage
Level -2 to Level|Charisma modifier
Level +1 to Level +2|Charisma modifier + 1/2 knight level
Level +3 and up|Charisma modifier + knight level[/table]

Knight's Mount: At 2th level, a knight gains the services of a special mount. This mount is normally a heavy warhorse. Treat it as a druid's animal companion, without the Share Spells ability and with an effective druid level equal to your knight level. A knight may replace an unwanted or fallen mount with a week of intensive training. If he doesn't have time for intensive training, his mount still gains the first step of benefits, and gains one additional "step" on the table for each week it spends in the knight's service.
Strike of Denial (Ex): Beginning at 7th level, any foe successfully struk by one of the Knight's attacks of opportunity must halt his movement for the turn.
Righteous Indignation (Ex): Starting at 11th level, whenever a creature within the Knight's reach attacks one of the Knight's allies, that creature provokes an attack of opportunity from the Knight. For the purpose of this ability, any non-harmless, targeted spell, ability, or effect counts as an attack.
Fast Reach (Ex): Beginning at 13th level, a Knight threatens creatures in melee as though his reach were 5ft longer than normal.
Improved Strike of Denial (Ex): Starting at 15th level, a Knight's attacks of opportunity resolve before the provoking action, and should such an attack hit, the provoking action fails entirely, spent with no effect.
Master Shield Ally (Ex): At 18th level, a knight's Shield Ally ability improves still more. As an immediate action, he may move up to (five times his Strength modifier) feet in order to place himself adjacent to an ally being attacked.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2014-02-21, 05:41 PM
Vanilla fighters are T5. All you need to go from T5 to T4 are better numbers for their main trick - in this case, murderstabbing things. Then you just make that trick much more reliable, and give them at least a little bit of love in areas outside that trick, and presto, you have a Warblade-style T3.

You're turning the Fighter into something... a little weird. I have a hard time wrapping my head around the fluff of the floating feat, even when it's the Chameleon doing it. I'd rather just give fighters a maneuver progression and be done with it.

Metahuman1
2014-02-21, 05:55 PM
I think boosting trademark-but-near-useless abilities like the paladin's smite or the hexblade's curse are key parts of any decent class fix, but I understand where you're coming from.

You can fill any roll... provided that it doesn't require different equipment, or abilities not obtainable through fighter bonus feats.

Anyway, to provide something constructive again, the Knight:

<Good Fort save like he should have had, 4+Int skill points, add Bluff, Craft, Diplomacy, Knowledge (History), Listen, Profession, Sense Motive, and Spot to the list of class skills, gain Tower Shield proficiency>
Tower Shield proficiency
Fighting Spirit: When attacking a foe under the effect of one of your challenges, you deal bonus damage, based on your opponent's challenge rating:

Level +3 and up|Charisma modifier + 1/2 knight level[/table]

Knight's Mount: At 2th level, a knight gains the services of a special mount. This mount is normally a heavy warhorse. Treat it as a druid's animal companion, without the Share Spells ability and with an effective druid level equal to your knight level. A knight may replace an unwanted or fallen mount with a week of intensive training. If he doesn't have time for intensive training, his mount still gains the first step of benefits, and gains one additional "step" on the table for each week it spends in the knight's service.
Strike of Denial (Ex): Beginning at 7th level, any foe successfully struk by one of the Knight's attacks of opportunity must halt his movement for the turn.
Righteous Indignation (Ex): Starting at 11th level, whenever a creature within the Knight's reach attacks one of the Knight's allies, that creature provokes an attack of opportunity from the Knight. For the purpose of this ability, any non-harmless, targeted spell, ability, or effect counts as an attack.
Fast Reach (Ex): Beginning at 13th level, a Knight threatens creatures in melee as though his reach were 5ft longer than normal.
Improved Strike of Denial (Ex): Starting at 15th level, a Knight's attacks of opportunity resolve before the provoking action, and should such an attack hit, the provoking action fails entirely, spent with no effect.
Master Shield Ally (Ex): At 18th level, a knight's Shield Ally ability improves still more. As an immediate action, he may move up to (five times his Strength modifier) feet in order to place himself adjacent to an ally being attacked.

I'd make them able to ignore the -2 form the tower shield, and seriously think about allowing them to get the benefit of the Tower Shields miss chance with out loosing the ability to attack and the shields AC bonus. If your gonna make them heavy on Defense, might as well make them heavy on defense.

Now that I think on it, Mettle wouldn't hurt either.

Kennisiou
2014-02-21, 06:05 PM
Lurk: Give d8 HD; Trapfinding as a class feature at level 1; trade shield proficiency for medium armor proficiency; Disable Device, Search, Open Lock, Diplomacy, and Sense Motive as class skills; +2 Skill points per level; give the lurk unlimited use of augments/day, eventually it gains the ability to apply its augments to more than one attack/round. Psionic sneak attack starts at +1d6 at level 2 and rises by an additional 1d6 every 3 levels (as opposed to every 5). Lurk rises to T4, possibly a low T3. It could arguably hit T3 easily by giving it some unique powers that are just psionic versions of spells from the bard and assassin spell lists (like glibness and haste) and by expanding its class skills list further (maybe add decipher script, forgery, some knowledges like Dungeoneering and The Planes, and use rope) and giving it some psionic powers that allow it to gain bonuses to any skill checks. It basically turns into a psionic factotum.

Phelix-Mu
2014-02-21, 06:53 PM
Vanilla fighters are T5. All you need to go from T5 to T4 are better numbers for their main trick - in this case, murderstabbing things. Then you just make that trick much more reliable, and give them at least a little bit of love in areas outside that trick, and presto, you have a Warblade-style T3.

You're turning the Fighter into something... a little weird. I have a hard time wrapping my head around the fluff of the floating feat, even when it's the Chameleon doing it. I'd rather just give fighters a maneuver progression and be done with it.

The problem with just tacking a maneuver progression onto every martial class is that some people don't like playing with subsystems. I know that isn't terribly evident on boards like this, but I have several friends who can swing and swing and swing, but one ounce of resource management and they are suddenly having less fun (or at least stressing out more than they should). Fighter, to me, is about simply being really good at combat without having to do anything funky or complicated (beyond addition).

Now, it should be an option to be more than just Mr. Full Attack, but I think that is best done more with combat stuff like grapple or trip and some decent out-of-combat schtick (which is currently entirely absent).

Firechanter
2014-02-21, 09:27 PM
I've found that "moving the sliders" works much better than introducing new mechanics.

Example: Ranger
D10 HD
Pet at full class level
Expanded bonus feat List -
Real feats instead of virtual ones
Full Caster Level
+2 Spell slots per level

This is all simple, natural and easy to understand, and I can tell you that it works like a charm.

Santra
2014-02-21, 09:43 PM
Fighter gains SR and Dr/- equal to his fighter level. Gains 6 skillpoints per level. Gains UMD as a class skill.

Divide by Zero
2014-02-21, 09:50 PM
Fighter gains SR and Dr/- equal to his fighter level. Gains 6 skillpoints per level. Gains UMD as a class skill.

Should be SR 5/10+level if you want it to be worth anything. I also have to disagree with UMD, even though it would make them more powerful it makes absolutely no sense from a flavor perspective.

Santra
2014-02-21, 10:00 PM
Should be SR 5/10+level if you want it to be worth anything. I also have to disagree with UMD, even though it would make them more powerful it makes absolutely no sense from a flavor perspective.

I disagree. I feel that UMD fits for almost any class. It might not fit the flavor for the character you are playing however.

Zweisteine
2014-02-21, 10:40 PM
If you let sorcerers learn spells for the same costs wizards do, they'd be bumped up two tiers, into the virtual tier 0. Being able to cast any arcane spell spontaneously? Count me in!

If you also let them do that with the non-sor/wiz spells they might be able to learn otherwise, they go into negative tiers, and nobody uses any other caster ever again (except for dips to get turn undead).

Divide by Zero
2014-02-21, 10:54 PM
If you let sorcerers learn spells for the same costs wizards do, they'd be bumped up two tiers, into the virtual tier 0. Being able to cast any arcane spell spontaneously? Count me in!

If you also let them do that with the non-sor/wiz spells they might be able to learn otherwise, they go into negative tiers, and nobody uses any other caster ever again (except for dips to get turn undead).

Just make sure to take away their familiar so they don't get too powerful. They already can't specialize.

Zetapup
2014-02-21, 10:58 PM
Level +3 and up|Charisma modifier + 1/2 knight level[/table]

Level +1 to Level +2 and Level +3 and up are the same thing (cha mod +1/2 knight level). Did you mean cha mod + knight level or something similar? Other than that, looks pretty good.

Lans
2014-02-22, 03:28 AM
Dragon Shaman-Gains additional auras at the given rate, which maybe chosen from the marshal, or divine mind list.

May manifest an additional aura levels

Gains additional breath weapon every 4 levels, up damage to a d6 a level

Gains claw and bite attack at 1st

Warlock-Let them shoot an EB for every itterative possesed.

Make invocations go up 1 a level

Rakaydos
2014-02-22, 03:33 AM
Fighter: Get Skills like the Expert NPC class, bonus feats can be chosen from any type, and from level 12 on up, can take epic feats that the fighter meets all other qualifications for.

Gemini476
2014-02-22, 05:56 AM
Quick & Easy Soulknife Fix:
Gestalt it with the Soulborn.

Quick & Easy Soulborn Fix:
See above.

Is that enough to boost 'em up a tier, or am I off my rocker?

Grim Reader
2014-02-22, 09:00 AM
Hexblade: Gains Witch Hexes, and Hex progression.

Hexblades curse becomes a Hex, always the first Hex gained by a Hexblade. Swift action, usable any number of times per day, but has the Hex limitation that any target that saves cannot be targeted again for 24 hours.

Duskblade: Becomes a prepared caster, can learn spells like a Magus and has the Magus spell list.

Healer: Becomes a spontaneous caster with access to its entire list, similar to the Beguiler and Warmage. Advanced Learning allowing them to pick up other spells every two levels or so.

Ranger: Replace the pet with wildshape.

Dread_Head
2014-02-22, 09:31 AM
Scout fix:

Increase the range Skirmish can be used at to 60ft and at a higher level 120ft
Ignore the errata which bans mounted skirmishing
Get UMD as a class skill
Possibly gain some sort of trap setting as the (combat) trapsmith prc
Give it a choice of three combat styles:
Mounted Skirmishing - Gain an Animal Companion as the Druid and some mounted combat bonus feats
Rapid Attacker - Gain either the Spring Attack, Bounding Assault, Rapid Blitz line of feats and the ability to use TWF with Spring attack. Or gain pounce or swift action movement or standard action full attacks. I haven't quite worked out whats best here but some ability to move and full attack.
Ranged Skirmisher - The ability to full attack with a ranged weapon as a standard action and some archery bonus feats

Lans
2014-03-04, 10:13 PM
Soulborn fix-1 Tier slide incarnum meldshaping progression up 3 levels, 2 tiers use Totemist or Incarnate progression for meldshaping and binds