PDA

View Full Version : Spontaneous Change in Op Preferences at Epic level?

BrokenChord
2014-02-21, 12:40 AM
This is just a trend I've noticed, with players in general but especially in PbP. It's like, most of the time people have to ask specifically for low-op or they'll get Batmans and CoDzillas abound, and even then such tags get ignored fairly often because, I dunno, I guess once you've seen much in a CharOp board it becomes impossible to enjoy the mechanically worse choices you made before. Or something. But I'm not trying to be accusational; I'm making an observation based on what I've seen, but although that foes happen somewhat commonly I know most people on the boards aren't like that.

Anyway, that was mostly ranting, sorry.

The thing is, even though in normal play I see people taking the first opportunities they can find to play some really powerful stuff, the second the word Epic enters the fray, everybody does a 180 and the game that's asking for high-op Epic Gestalt has people crawling over each other to play Monk//Rogue characters.

Have my observation skills failed, or is it true that people suddenly shift into tame mode when the thought of Epic comes up? And if so... Why??? Can this phenomenon be explained to me?

Phelix-Mu
2014-02-21, 12:47 AM
Epic goes a long way to making low-tiers seem like fun.

Why?

Because the wizard already conquered the world a couple levels ago. You don't need the Tier 1 Easy Button in epic, even if the disparity continues (as Epic Spellcasting is better termed Win Always Forever). With enough class levels to play with, you can staple on some Factotum, a dab of low-level casting, or a dash of initiating. Even low tier classes can amass enough tricks to be fun.

That said, the power curves present at epic levels are monstrous, and most DMs have their hands full without Tier 1s or 2s present. A T3 or lower epic setup massively improves the situation for all but the most experienced/savvy DMs,