PDA

View Full Version : Burning THAC0 and Cross Genre Adventures

AMFV
2014-02-21, 02:06 AM
I've been reading about Burning THAC0, which is a conversion to use Burning Wheel to run old school dungeon crawl type adventures. I'm curious if anybody else has any experience trying to run a style of game with a system that isn't designed for a particular kind of game, I'm curious as to exactly how that caused the experience to vary, and if you have any good stories.

Fabletop
2014-02-21, 05:00 AM
Like using CoC for everything?

Call of Cthulhu adds another layer of conflict with the Sanity stat; psychological. Fits 'sword & sorcery' fine, with all the danger/monsters.

Added plus, the overall system is still super-easy for task resolution.

YMMV.

AMFV
2014-02-21, 09:56 AM
Like using CoC for everything?

Call of Cthulhu adds another layer of conflict with the Sanity stat; psychological. Fits 'sword & sorcery' fine, with all the danger/monsters.

Added plus, the overall system is still super-easy for task resolution.

YMMV.

Have you actually used it for that? How was it?

Knaight
2014-02-21, 12:55 PM
I've been reading about Burning THAC0, which is a conversion to use Burning Wheel to run old school dungeon crawl type adventures. I'm curious if anybody else has any experience trying to run a style of game with a system that isn't designed for a particular kind of game, I'm curious as to exactly how that caused the experience to vary, and if you have any good stories.

I use generics all the time, and they work fine. That said, as regards Burning THAC0 - it's obsolete. It's a quick hack that does a decent job, but Torchbearer is a game built on the Burning Wheel engine from the ground up for exactly what it is, and it's better at it.

AMFV
2014-02-21, 01:10 PM
I use generics all the time, and they work fine. That said, as regards Burning THAC0 - it's obsolete. It's a quick hack that does a decent job, but Torchbearer is a game built on the Burning Wheel engine from the ground up for exactly what it is, and it's better at it.

That sounds really interesting, I'm not so much interested in generics, as how different systems take to different adaptations. It was mostly brought on by reading the Burning THAC0 bit and seeing some of the differences that they were identifying between styles of play.

It got me thinking about how would different systems handle Old School dungeon crawling, how would they be different or the same as D&D. For example how might an nWoD game vary in comparison to AD&D in that respect, how would a dungeon fare in TRoS, just generic stuff along those lines, it's more idle curiosity than anything else at this point.

obryn
2014-02-21, 02:04 PM
...Isn't Torchbearer basically converting Burning Wheel into an oldschool dungeon crawler? :smallsmile:

fake edit: Whoops, looks like Knaight covered that.

Dungeon World takes the Apocalypse World enginge (imo improving it) and uses it for dungeoncrawls, too.

Anyway! No, I generally prefer to play my systems pretty "straight" - that is, using their default assumptions and running with them. If I want the campaign to have a different theme, I use a different game.

AMFV
2014-02-21, 09:36 PM
...Isn't Torchbearer basically converting Burning Wheel into an oldschool dungeon crawler? :smallsmile:

fake edit: Whoops, looks like Knaight covered that.

Dungeon World takes the Apocalypse World enginge (imo improving it) and uses it for dungeoncrawls, too.

Anyway! No, I generally prefer to play my systems pretty "straight" - that is, using their default assumptions and running with them. If I want the campaign to have a different theme, I use a different game.

I just read through most of the relevant free PDFs, and I'm actually liking the present hack less than I liked Burning THAC0. Since it seems like the Torchbearer thing is cutting off some of the more unique aspects of Burning Wheel, at least to my thinking, I might be somewhat mistaken about this, since I haven't read the entiriety of the rules, but it seems like stapling the class system is probably a step-backwards.