PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5] Druid necromancy school spells

shay7815
2014-02-21, 04:57 AM
Can a neutral good druid use spells from necromancy school?
some spells are marked just necromancy while others Necromancy (Evil).
on the other hand some of them sound nasty and the dm thinks they are "unfit"...

Tommy2255
2014-02-21, 05:00 AM
Can a neutral good druid use spells from necromancy school?
some spells are marked just necromancy while others Necromancy (Evil).
on the other hand some of them sound nasty and the dm thinks they are "unfit"...

Necromancy is not automatically evil. Spells with the [evil] descriptor are automatically evil.

eggynack
2014-02-21, 10:16 AM
I don't see why not. If it doesn't say it's evil, then it's not evil. I barely understand why most evil spells have the evil descriptor, so this feels a lot like it would be going in the wrong direction.

SiuiS
2014-02-21, 10:19 AM
Druids deal with life, death, rebirth. Predation. Remind your DM that nature is vicious, in the creepy way. Zombie fugus ants. Deer who eat the heads of birds for calcium despite being herbivores. Maggots and parasites slowly killing you from the inside out? Rot, foetter and decay? Mouldering down to black earth from which seeds will sprout? That's Druidic.

It's at least as Druidic as the ability to turn into a giant wasp and lay eggs in someone's torso after paralyzingly them. :smallsmile:

eggynack
2014-02-21, 10:26 AM
You should check out animate with the spirit (CV, 52), by the by, if you're trying to get some necromancy theming on your druid. It's technically a conjuration (summoning) spell, but it lets you insert the spirit of a good outsider into a corpse for 10 minutes/level, and that feels a good amount like animate dead to me. It's one of the better ways I've found to pull off the whole necro-druid thing, which has been an odd goal of mine given how antithetical it is to the druid's fluff.