PDA

View Full Version : [SUPER ADVENTURE BLAST] Saviors of Goldwater ::Cult of Donjon::

cameronpants
2014-02-21, 01:47 PM
SUPER ADVENTURE BLAST
PLAYTEST #1

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bsalhGykw50/TmhlPuHFgpI/AAAAAAAAA3I/aO7sPBqjBzk/s320/ogre-kingdoms.jpg
The sun was shining, the light breeze ruffling the folds in your cloaks. The sky had pockets of fluffy clouds, lazily drifting against the backdrop of the crisp, light blue skyline.

The city around you, however, was not so peaceful. Weeping woman, cowering children, silent men staring at nothing- this was a city on the verge of defeat. Supply lines were interrupted, neighboring city-states and nations refusing the caravans at their borders. Goldwater would soon starve itself out, its supplies dwindling to the point of being unable to save its citizens. Buildings were ransacked, many more abandoned. Droves of men, women, and children left Goldwater, fleeing south away from the oncoming hordes of monstrous giants who crawled from the stone bluffs of Sawtooth Mountain.

You stand there, staring at the distant mountains, jagged line of stone thrusting up into that peaceful sky.

There are so few of you, and so many of them. You can feel the Blood pumping in your bodies, a river of energy rushing by your thoughts and soul. You were a conduit to the Great Aether, the throbbing power hidden behind the multiverse.

The wild man whose arm was made of wood sniffles against the breeze, the light wind bringing him scents of fear and despair.

"We are ready. We have much to do." He glances at the pair standing across the short road from him, in front of the massive northern gates of Goldwater. "And I'm starving. I must feed on meat."

{table=head]Hero-Blooded
Risk Tricksy (Slick Rick) (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=804307)
Simius, The Librarian (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=800435)
Boxon, Of Father Bear (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=804838)
[/table]

JanusJones
2014-02-21, 04:31 PM
The drow adjusts his cloak. "Sounds like a personal problem. I need a few moments to prepare, myself - perhaps you could chase down a farm animal while you wait." He grins and winks at the huge, shaggy man.

He sits gracefully, cross-legged in the dirt and clears a small space.

He then pulls a series of glass flasks from his pack, alongside a rolled piece of leather. He unwinds a rawhide strip and unrolls it into a yard long strip, about a hand's span in length. Held in small holes in the leather are what look to be several dozen needles - a bit too thick for sewing, flattened at one end for ease of grip. Unshouldering a quiver, the elf removes arrows feathered in a variety of colors - red, yellow, green and black - and a strange, brass canister with a pump-handle and nozzle protruding from it.

Cracking his knuckles, the elf selects a glass flask and begins a series of arcane gestures above it.

Gonna make some poisons, y'all!

Let's try several, just for starters. One minute per attempt, creating about 7 gallons (won't be keeping it all, obviously). If I miss, I can try again. Each will last an hour.

First, a contact poison:
[roll0]: Craft DC 25, Terinav Root (DMG) - contact DC 20, deals 1d6/2d6 Dex.

Now, injury:
[roll1]: Craft DC 35: Black Lotus Extract (DMG). DC 20, deals 3d6/3d6 Con.

And a nasty inhalant:
[roll2]: Craft DC 35?: Greensickness (Dungeonscape, MMIII). DC 33, deals 2d6 Str + 1d4 Con/2d6 Str + 1d4 Con.

JanusJones
2014-02-21, 04:34 PM
He dumps out two of the flasks, grumbling, "This will have to do, I suppose." He holds up one flask, filled with a pale amber liquid, then begins using a sable brush to carefully apply it to each needle. When done, he does the same with the yellow arrows, the re-equips. The entire process takes less than ten minutes.

Plerumque
2014-02-21, 04:45 PM
The elderly, bespectacled man looks up from the book resting on his knobbly knees. "Relax, children. We have much to do, yes, but we will not be better served by going unprepared. This is the philosophy which I have lived my life by, and it has served me well." Nevertheless, he closes the book and adds it to the overstuffed pack on his back. From beneath his feet, he produces an enormous roll of parchment, easily taller than his own hunched form, with two polished wooden handles protruding from the ends, and slings it over his shoulder like it's a weapon. "Shall we then- as I believe they say nowadays- go kick some ass?"

JanusJones
2014-02-21, 04:56 PM
The elf shudders at the awkward delivery. "I am SO not being seen in public with you two." He winks out of sight, and his voice floats back, lightly: "I'll let you know if there's anything I can't handle myself."

Stealth: [roll0], plus whatever invisibility adds. Re-upping with a Swift as necessary and scouting ahead.

[roll1] for Perception.

cameronpants
2014-02-21, 05:22 PM
The most recent reports state the ogre vanguard is about twenty minutes outside of town, currently enjoying an all-you-can-eat buffet composed of Goldwater's farmers' livestock. The vanguard consists of about fifty ogres and ogrekin, some dozen of them the snarling degenerate ogres that gave ogrekin of all varieties the bad rep. Joining the four dozen ogres are a duo of two-headed giants; one is an ettin and the other, the leader of the vanguard, is an oni.

Janus: you eke out your own path some dozen paces from the main road. You work your way along the winding road North until you see the King's Junction, a four-way intersection of the road, up ahead. Dominating one of the corners is a massive four story house; the Red Festival, a popular road-side inn and taverna for the travelling folk.

Standing by the front doors, which have been ripped off their hinges, is a group of half a dozen ogres and as many humanoids. One young man is being tossed overhand between two ogres, the others jeering and sneering at the sobbing women.

The Beast and the Librarian are a minute behind you, staying at a steady pace along the road. For the ten minutes you traveled you learned the big one is incredibly durable and the bespectacled one is incredibly smart.

JanusJones
2014-02-21, 05:38 PM
I'm gonna go with cinematic, here, assuming I can chuck my darts and stay hidden - I imagine the ogre would think them bee stings.

I was gonna be tricky/fancy, but let's save that for later and get some action going.

[roll0] against the flat-footed ogre's AC. 2 damage 3 tomes, 3 DC 20 Fort saves, [roll1] Dex damage.

Staying hidden, blinking out after I throw. If they weren't looking, shouldn't be too noticeable. Unless the big guy screams.

JanusJones
2014-02-21, 05:45 PM
[roll0] Hide roll with invisibility, and a move of 30 ft.

cameronpants
2014-02-21, 05:57 PM
Fort saves[roll0] +6 to each.

The ogre grunts, swatting at his shoulder where the needles hit. They fall to the ground unnoticed. The ogre blinks a few times then stumbles to the side, then drops to his knees. He mumbles something inaudible and slumps over. The five remaining ogres laugh at their comes and resume their cajoling.

JanusJones
2014-02-21, 06:00 PM
Does everybody notice and go ape****? Does he do a dim, scratching at a beesting thing and I get another go?

cameronpants
2014-02-21, 07:52 PM
No, they ridiculed their friend for drinking too much. I rolled checks IRL for perception. Nada

JanusJones
2014-02-21, 08:51 PM
A huge fart and belch erupt from their friend, who's staggering around drunkenly. He stumbles blearily, looking even more drunk.

Ghost sound plus a subtle Silent Image - just making him look a bit more klutzy. Any barrel they're drinking from? I'll whip up a quick ingested poison if so.

Also, after firing off the spells, I'll go ahead and have him collapse.

[roll]1d20+4[roll] to hit, and [roll0] Dex damage if I hit, three DC 20 Fort saves.

cameronpants
2014-02-21, 11:53 PM
Attack is broken. Also, you did 8 Dex damage to the first, so he is at 0 Dex. He's out for the count. No dice at work, so [roll0] for spotting you the second time.

JanusJones
2014-02-22, 12:13 AM
Any barrel of ale for me to poison? Just asking. Might speed things up! If he's out, I guess we can call that last attack on somebody new.

[roll0] for the attack, Dex damage stands (6 normal damage).

Also, here's my next Hide (-20 modifier after a sniping attack, +20 for Invisibility, so I guess ... standard?): [roll1].

cameronpants
2014-02-23, 01:16 AM
The second wave of needles bounce off the arm of one of the nearest ogres to the tree line where the drow hides. It glances at its arm, then to the ground. Eyeballing the thin metal oddly, he scoops one up between thickly-calloused fingers and begins to pick his teeth with it.

Fort save vs poison (in his mouth, oh yeah): [roll0]

At this point, the hidden drow can see, some hundreds of feet away, the bear-man and the bespectacled senior trudging towards the tavern. They have just rounded a corner and are able to see the ogres playing their foul game of keep away.

JanusJones
2014-02-24, 01:04 AM
Invisible to the loutish ogres, the slender elf whips more needles from under his cloak at the moron picking his teeth with poison.

Let's take him out, shall we?
[roll0] vs. touch AC, DC 20 Fort saves - three - or take, in order, [roll1] Dex damage.
And hiding again, for [roll2] with Swift Invisibility for a +20, but they might see me when I attack. Of course, if the guy I hit keels over, maybe not.

cameronpants
2014-02-26, 10:06 AM
The drow's needles fail to pierce the tough flesh of the ogres. One of the more drunk-looking ones starts scrutinizing the area the invisible drow stands, convinced he saw movement behind the tree line.

Two other ogres notice the bear-man and the bespectacled man approaching from the road. They tap their two remaining friends and they quickley scoop up makeshift swords and begin trotting towards the oncomers. The final ogre, still curious about what he saw in the trees, slowly approaches where the drow is hidden.

Map Updated (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjCWAi_SBwdSdEdrMFZSVlJOUlNia0pMLThOcDctb Wc&usp=sharing)

Plerumque
2014-02-26, 03:02 PM
Pages flip in the librarian's mind, snatches of every book he's ever read that could possibly be relevent. He closes his eyes for a moment, as images and phrases float in front of them. As he opens them again, he grins a bit too wide and spreads his arms wide, welcoming their charge.

Make a Knowledge check, enter Kirin Style, and activate Personal Weapon Augmentation as a Boost to make my weapon Monstrous Humanoid- Bane.

Knowledge Devotion: [roll0] +4 attack/damage.

Kirin Style: [roll1] +2 on saving throws against their attacks and on AC vs AoOs provoked by movement.

JanusJones
2014-02-26, 05:42 PM
A voluptuous half-giant woman struggles, the ropes cutting into her abundant, creamy flesh. She wriggles suggestively, arching her back and straining against the gag in her mouth, eyes widening in fear and excitement as the brutish ogre approaches.

Yep. That's a silent image, folks. After he looks, I'll chuck some needles at him.

cameronpants
2014-02-26, 07:06 PM
The ogre lout advances on the illusory damsel, knotted hands batting at his makeshift belt, struggling to remove his garments.

Boxon grins, mouth twice as wide and tall as a normal man's should be.
"This... this meat will suffice."

At that, he gallons off, charging the nearest ogre from the back of his horse, Whinneigh. The ogre swings his welded-together sword at the bear-man as he approaches.

I would roll the AoO, but the ogre can't hurt Boxon and has no rider effects on his attack...

Power Attack 1
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Confirm: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

JanusJones
2014-02-26, 07:15 PM
Three silver needles flash towards the ogre's hideous, naked rear.

[roll0], three DC 20 saves or [roll1] Dex damage.

Plerumque
2014-02-26, 07:58 PM
The librarian charges forward as well, as glowing runes begin to etch themselves onto his weapon. He brings it solidly down on one of the ogres, and there is a burst of violet light.

Damage: [roll1]+[roll2]+8=24

I suppose I provoke, my AC would be 17 due to Kirin Style.

cameronpants
2014-02-26, 10:13 PM
Needles bounce off the oaf's bicep. He reaches out to embrace the bound damsel, and roars in confusion as his hands sweep through her entire form.

The ogre fails to notice the librarian leaving himself open as he had just attempted to attack the horse-mounted bear-man. In that same instant the flash of violet light is the last thing he sees before crumpling to the ground, very very dead.

However, his allied ogres surge into action, closing in on the aggressors. Their battlecries are only rivaled in intensity by their breath.

One attack on Librarian:
Attacks: [roll0]
Damages: [roll1]

Two attacks on Boxon:
Irrelevant lol

Ogre tries to spot the source of the illusion:
Perception: [roll2]

Laughing, Boxon lets his armor protect his body from the worst of the force, knowing full well his heightened regeneration from his lycan heritage will heal the wounds even before the ogres could pull their weapons free. Boxon attacks savagely, using his oversized maw and hammer to deadly effect.

Full Attack, PA 1.
Greathammer: [roll3], [roll4]
Bite: [roll5], [roll6] and 1 Con damage

Map Updated (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjCWAi_SBwdSdEdrMFZSVlJOUlNia0pMLThOcDctb Wc&usp=sharing)

((Anyone can see and edit now! Make your changes!))

JanusJones
2014-02-26, 11:41 PM
He needs a Will save vs. disbelief. She rolls away, squirming!

Three more needles flash out of the darkness. The slender elf waves a greeting, then is gone again.

[roll0] Stealth.
[roll1], DC 20 three times, [roll2] Dexterity damage.

cameronpants
2014-02-27, 09:11 AM
Will save is for if he interacts with it in a normal capacity- just seeing a silent image should provide the save. Silent Image cannot actually provide any tactile information so he doesn't need a save when his hand passes through. However, I will call it a Touch Attack as a Figment's AC is provided in the rules. If he succeeds, he knows she is not really there.

[roll0]

The three needles strike him in the chest. The ogre looks down and sags against the tree, suddenly unbalanced. He sniffs the air and starts to move around the tree, looking for the needle-thrower.

He provokes from movement if you want to take it.
[roll1], [roll2], [roll3] Fort saves

He's at 1 dex.

JanusJones
2014-02-27, 09:27 AM
Three more needles flash out of the darkness before the elf, with a grin and a wave, is gone again.

[roll0], three DC 20 Fort saves or ... well, you get the picture!

Realized I should have gotten some sort of Cha to attack feat. Annoyed that the only one I know says "bows only." Guess I could go bow only, but three hits for the price of one makes poison pop, you know?

Need to make some more, too.

SAB is getting me thinking about chargen. I'm starting to get angry about my archer. WHY is d20 so ****ed for archery!? Two feats gets you Power Attack for thrown weapons, and a 10th level CLASS ABILITY is the only way to get it for bows?! You can STUN with boomerangs, but not arrows? You get to throw DOUBLE the number of boomerangs with a 6th level ability and TOUCH ATTACK on FULL ATTACKS by 10th, but you only get splitting for arrows as a +3 enchantment (which means total +4 cost!!!) and CAN'T get touch attacks, even with SPELLS, for arrows?

Man, what the hell. It's like they hate the very archetypes that make people want to play the game. Stupid, stupid designers. Gonna have to find arrow-related brew, now.

JanusJones
2014-02-27, 09:28 AM
Oops! Rant got in the way of my functional stuff ... Hide roll with invisibility: [roll0]

Plerumque
2014-02-27, 04:47 PM
The librarian sighs as the ogre's attack swishes past him, pushing his spectacles up the bridge of his nose before striking back out with the heavy scroll.

Damage: [roll1]+[roll2]+8=26

cameronpants
2014-02-27, 11:57 PM
The ogre laughs as the librarian's spinning, twisting scroll bounces harmlessly off his massive chest. He returns the favor, chopping down at the elderly man overhanded with as much power as he could muster. The other two continue to pound on the bear-man who, to the dismay of the ogres, begins to giggle.

The ogre that entered the tree line is getting angry and has started to smash the tree with its sword, attempting to cut it all the way down.

Attack on Librarian: [roll0], Damage [roll1]

Attacks on Boxon: NOPE

Attack on tree: [roll2]

Boxon swings his greathammer at the ogre on his left and chomps at the one to his right.

No PA this time.
Greathammer: [roll3], Damage [roll4]
Bite: [roll5], Damage [roll6] + 1 con damage

Also, can you guys link your character sheets? I don't really want to leaf through the CoD thread for them.

cameronpants
2014-02-27, 11:58 PM
Man, if this does well, Boxon ended two in one round!
[roll0], Damage [roll1]

OOF. Missed by 1!

Plerumque
2014-02-28, 08:40 AM
The librarian staggers backwards, his glasses knocked off his face and shattered by the blow. "You bastards!" he cries, swinging blindly.

Attack:
Damage: [roll1]+[roll2]+8=19

JanusJones
2014-02-28, 08:52 AM
The Drow appears behind the ogre. "You should really consider meditation. I've heard rage is bad for your health." he mentions off-handedly, before planting several more needles before disappearing yet again.

Meh. I considered an image, but at this point its just a wasted round.

[roll0] or [roll1] with three Fort 20 saves before he's legless.

cameronpants
2014-02-28, 10:58 AM
The librarian's scroll surprised the ogre by ripping his arm from its socket, blood spraying across the green grass at the edge of the packed dirt road. One ogre remained in a melee with the bear-man and the book-worm.

The ogre swings at where the drow just appeared, a rough and brutal motion of anger and pain.

You didn't move your D, Janus. I will make the attack roll and miss-chance here just in case.
[roll0], higher than 50 misses.
Attack [roll1], Damage [roll2]

The ogre smashes repeatedly on the bear-man with its bent piece of heavy iron. The bear-man's laughs die down and are replaced with a calm, focused look in his eye.
Ogre attacks Boxon in a panic.

Mouth opens, ogre bitten, massive hammer slamming onto large frame, bones breaking.

Greathammer: [roll3], [roll4]
Bite: [roll5], [roll6] + 1 Con damage

JanusJones
2014-02-28, 05:00 PM
I always move. 20 feet (speed 40), but keeping within 10 so I can shoot next round. I figure circle to left or right. Sorry about the map - please don't kill my character. Or do, and I'll re-spawn, I guess!

Plerumque
2014-02-28, 06:13 PM
The librarian's fingers grope blindly at the stone of the path, searching for the twisted frames and shattered glass of his lenses. "You killed 'im yet?" he calls out in a rough, scratchy voice.

Five-foot step to AI42.

cameronpants
2014-03-01, 04:02 PM
A fierce battle between the ogre and Boxon ensues, ending with the bear-man dropping his hammer and taking great chunks of flesh out of the giant's legs. A few ravenous gulps later, Boxon removes a waterskin from his pack and washes the gore from his face.

Ogre can't win and fights to the death.

The ogre swipes at open air and takes a needle to the knee, dropping to the ground, paralyzed.

Ogres are defeated! 1600xp

JanusJones
2014-03-01, 08:05 PM
The elf is sitting cross-legged on an ogre's body as the others walk up. He's unrolled his poison-making gear and is muttering and making arcane gestures over a set of flasks.

[roll0], DC 35 for Greensickness (DC 33; 2d6 Str + 1d6 Con)
[roll1], DC 35 for Black Lotus (DC 20; 3d6 Con)
[roll2], DC 24 for Sinmaker's Surprise (DC 24; 1d6 Con +1d6 acid)
[roll3], DC 20 for Cave Terror (DC 20; confusion effect)

Hmm. Tempted to go for Turn Undead plus Lloth's Blessing, so I can force secondary saves immediately. It's a swift, though, so it would make me give up being hidden - a not-so-good thing. I also need Darkstalker in there somewheres, would like some BaB, wouldn't mind Loresong or Crafter's Fortune ... also, annoyed that there aren't any really good ways to up Poison DCs later on. My DCs don't suck NOW, but come 6th level, even 33 will be meh. Holler if you know some 3rd party for it!

JanusJones
2014-03-01, 08:07 PM
The elf pours out three flasks of foul-smelling liquid, wiping the corners on the orc's rags. It twitches underneath him, pale and sweating, staring upward.

With one flask filled, the elf cracks his knuckles and tries again.

[roll0], DC 25, for Sinmaker's Surprise.
EDIT: Should've tried for Black Lotus!!!

Plerumque
2014-03-02, 12:02 AM
The librarian fishes out a spare pair of glasses from his rucksack, carefully dropping the shattered pieces in for mending later. Settling them on the tip of his nose, he blinks rapidly for a few moments before continuing. "I presume that was the scout force for the vanguard? I suppose we ought to come up with some sort of tactic for facing the main troops. Do we want to focus fire on their leaders or eliminate the body of the vanguard first?"

JanusJones
2014-03-02, 12:32 AM
The drow stands up and begins tucking away his flasks. At his feet, the massive ogre convulses, then begins twitching spasmodically. Finally, he staggers to his feet, drooling, and picks up his massive club.

The drow appears blithely unaware, fully engaged in re-arranging his gear.

The ogre staggers forward, head at an angle, and digs around in his filthy rags for a moment before pulling something out of its clothes. It unrolls a massive parchment, on which is inked, in passable brushwork:

"Ogre problems?
Why not try treachery, stealth, guile, ambush, and assassination?
Hire the services of a specialist: Risk Tricksy, esq.
Fees dependent on services rendered.
All expenses paid, extermination guaranteed.
Proof of expiration available upon request.

It then rolls the scroll up, bows, and falls back into precisely the position it formerly occupied, where it spasms once and lies still.

Finishing his re-arrangement of materials, the drow turns and gives a courtly bow. "At your service. If you'd rather take them one at a time, we can play bait and hook - I'd be providing bait, and you and our brutish friend," here he gives a nod to the massive shifter, "would be the hook. I'd prefer just putting something in their ale, though - quicker, less chance of word spreading, and more of them done at once."

"If you'd like, I could also skulk about till I find the lout in charge, then come back and give you directions. Of course," here he again eyes the blood-soaked, bestial barbarian, "that would require a modicum of patience."

With this said, he leans down and expertly slits the unconscious ogre's throat, wiping the blade on the thing's rags before re-sheathing it.

cameronpants
2014-03-02, 04:17 AM
Boxon watches the theatrics with a massive, toothy grin. He approaches the inn as his dark-skinned friend prepares batches of poison. The bear-man notices the residents of the taverna have entered and tightly shut the door, obviously uncomfortable with the violence that just transpired.

"Don't be scared, peasants. We have slain the ogres. Now bring us meat for our journey."

Boxon removes his plate mail and lays it haphazardly on the deck of the inn. He then commits to binding the paralyzed ogre at his feet, by the entrance of the Red Festival, with the rope he has on his mare. He continues tying and tying, the entire time whispering harsh words in Giant to his new captive.

For those that speak Giant: Boxon is explaining, in accurate and gruesome detail, how he will dine on this ogre's body. In great detail.

The inhabitants of the inn obey the giant man's wishes and provide several days worth of salted pork and tuber mash. Satisfied, Boxon begins eating as he walks, his horse dragging the 4-wheel cart which now carries a bound and paralyzed ogre.

JanusJones
2014-03-02, 10:03 AM
Risk looks at the scholar, nonplussed. "Apparently he's got a strategy all figured out, and it involves dragging along a paralyzed ogre. It does not involve discussing plans of attack with us."

He looks thoughtful. "So, do we follow along and involve ourselves only when he needs us, or try to come up with some sort of plan on our own? I'm comfortable with being paid even without doing the work myself."

Plerumque
2014-03-02, 11:09 AM
The librarian looks over at Boxon with a grimace on his face. "I believe it involves... eating the ogre. And... ergh. Ew. Ew! Boxon, stop tormenting that poor ogre, for my sake if not his own." Plugging his ears with his fingers, he continues. "All right, you sneak something into their ale, and him and I will be Plan B. The leaders might not drink, though. Can you keep hidden while taking them out?"

JanusJones
2014-03-02, 05:39 PM
Risk pauses and thinks. "If you can get him to wait a bit, I might have an idea that at least might give us an edge if he's bound and determined to walk into the middle of that rat's nest." He jogs over to the inn's door and gives a perfunctory knock.

"Goodman! Apologies for the delay in resolving your dilemma. I trust you find your establishment better off for our involvement, however, yes? If you'd do us the service of lending us a few items - for which the town will gladly recompense you, as the council of Elders has signed off on all expenses for my services - you'd get us one step closer to having all these giants cleared out and business back to normal."

After a bit of discussion, Risk convinces the doubtful inkeep to follow the cart and mule with a few casks of ale of, at best, dubious quality - a few show a bit of what might be mold on a corner. When Simius leads Boxon over, Risk addresses "I understand you're chomping at the bit, but this might give you an edge you don't need. Since we might need one, though, and it never hurts to have an extra, I'd be obliged if you'd play along."

When the barrels are loaded, Risk climbs in the cart alongside the paralyzed ogre. He stretches a tarp over the body, then sits comfortably on its chest and pours out the contents of one of his flasks, bit by bit, into the barrels.

DC 20 Cave Terror - causes confusion! Ingested! WOO!

"Right. I'll duck ahead. I'll come back when I know where to head - then you can go on with your 'walk right into the middle of them and tear their heads off' plan. Well, I'd prefer if you'd let me make you look like this one," here he thumps the ogre he's seated on, "get them drinking, and THEN go ahead with the murder and mayhem. They'll be easier to kill, and may even do you the favor of killing each other. Just don't talk when we walk up - I'll handle that part."

Plan: sneak up, find big party of ogres enjoying looting and pillaging, hide in cart, use Silent Image to make Boxon look like the guy in the cart under a tarp. Use Ghost Sound + Silent Image + Effortless Trickery to sustain my Silent Image and Ghost Sound at the same time, have the Image offer the drink that he looted, let ogres quaff a bit, then enjoy the ensuing chaos as they all take swipes at one another, Boxon rips faces off, Simius bashes skulls, and Risk needles them into a stupor.

Everyone down, I hope? It seems like an appropriately SAB plan, no? Cinematic, plus loads of violence at the end! :smallcool:

Plerumque
2014-03-02, 06:03 PM
The librarian shrugs. "Works for me." He peers into one of the casks and hawks up a gobbet of phlegm, adding his own gift to the ale. "I am worried about the ettin and the oni, though. Ideally, we'd have no survivors to report back to the main army, and the captains are the biggest risk in that regard. Plus, if they can figure out what's going on before they get involved in the chaos, they might be able to prevent it before it spreads to the whole vanguard. Perhaps we should attack from two directions?"

JanusJones
2014-03-02, 06:16 PM
Risk considers the idea.

"Hmm. Well, this'll last another two hours." He thumps a keg. "I'd need to go along with, so I could be the one to play bartender. If he's thumping heads somewhere else, though, I'd wager nobody would be drinking - they'd all be running ass over heels to wherever the carnage was. Also, I'd rather not float this trick solo, though I suppose I'd have a better chance alone than with someone without my particular skills."

"Ideally, I'd say yes, but it would be handy if there were some way for you to know when I'd kicked the party off, so as not to prevent all our new friends from having their fair share of drink."

cameronpants
2014-03-02, 06:41 PM
Boxon waited for his allies and listened intently as the plan was explained to him. The brutish man snorts at appropriate times, and smiles a wide, toothy grin at the mention of violence.

"Agreed. While my appetite for meat is nearly all-consuming-", he pauses for the pun to sink in, "I believe I can play along with a charade long enough to fool any ogre or giant in our path."

Risk scouts on ahead and finds the vanguard encampment a mere half hour away. It is split into two central camps, both clusters of sleeping mats and campfires around a large central pavilion-esque tent, obviously a commander's quarters.

The Eastern camp is composed primarily of ogres, though an ettin is evident on the outskirts of the camp, skirmishing with a handful of ogrekin. Their commanding officer is an oni with grey, taut skin and a feral demeanor.

The Western camp is much more chaotic. Infighting and brawls break out frequently and spontaneously- the bulk of the troops are degenerate ogres, stronger and more stupid than their sane cousins. This camp has no ettin or oni, but is instead commanded by a black-scaled hill giant and a minotaur of immense stature.

Skipping ahead through the nitty gritty travel chatty. Two camps- one built for power and violence with little in the way of real leadership. The Minotaur is Huge sized, as is the Half-Black-Dragon Hill Giant. Degenerate Ogres are stronger than standard Ogres but are also prone to wild fits of aggression, even in the midst of pitched combat, against their own allies. This makes fighting them partially easier- even though they hit much, much harder.

The camp controlled by the Greyskin Oni seems much more professional- many ogres are seen wearing armor and using crafted armaments- massive bronze shields, javelins with barbed tips, and even one wielding a double-bladed sword. They also have more structure to their camp and have readily visible supply carts.

Janus, I leave it to you to set the scene of the PCs arriving, to which camp, and introductions. The PCs will be greeted at the East camp by a group of chainmail'd ogre guards, while the west camp will just swarm any newcomers.
EDIT: Oh yeah. After a quick count, the Eastern camp has about thirty ogres while the West camp has twice that in Degenerates.

Plerumque
2014-03-02, 07:42 PM
Simius thinks for a few moments, scratching at his scraggly white beard. "I can maybe take care of them on my own, or at least hold them off for a while, if I have the right tools. I don't think we want to assume that they'll be directing the army from the back instead of charging in, so I'll want to get to them before you start the chaos. Then, if I survive, I can attack the army from behind and try to kill as many as I can with the element of surprise. It'll need to be close, though- you'll have to start serving drinks before they realize what's happened, especially if they kill me first."

Can we hold off on arriving for a bit longer? I want to formulate a strategy first.

JanusJones
2014-03-02, 08:40 PM
But intel helps us strategize, no? So okay, let's talk strategy.

Risk produces a parchment and quill shaped from an expensive-looking ebon wood. He sketches a map of his findings for his companions as Boxon begins snacking on meat.

"We've a divided bunch. These," here he points to the larger camp, which he's drawn with ragged edges, "seem less organized. More prone to my idea, I expect - they'll not have the discipline to resist free booze, and they brawl enough that my trick shouldn't be too much a surprise. I'd say the key here will be the two largest and ugliest - I'll need to prepare arrows for them. You two might be comfy dancing with them, but they're too heavy-hoofed for me."

He points at the other camp - a regular set of defensive bulwarks, sentry squads, and orderly camps. "These - well, you'll be of more help than I, Simius. They'll need out-thinking, and those in charge are going to be a worse challenge, if only because they'll be fighting with their heads, not just their muscles. If anything, I say we'd be better off taking the chaotic camp first - if we play our cards right, we can do it without tipping off the others. They're enough a mess that if we let them fight it out after a few drinks," he pats the barrel, "it'll seem like they degenerated into an all-out riot. It's not too far from the truth."

"If you've got ideas for what to do with these," he places a gloved finger on the military camp, "I'm all ears." Here, his ears grow pointed and above his head. He grins. "Keeping in mind all our assets, of course." Here, Boxon's rear grows and lets out a peal of flatulence as he munches.

cameronpants
2014-03-02, 11:09 PM
Boxon watches intently as his coworkers discuss the matter at hand.
"I understand why we feel the need for espionage. I understand the frailties some possess that prevent them from doing what must be done, and quickly. Should we delay even an hour too long the rest of the army will march. If that happens, we three cannot hope to stop it before it reaches Goldwater. We must be direct, decisive, and loud. We want the ogres to retreat, to run screaming for their kings and warlords: 'Forsake this land for it is defended by GODS!' are the words they will cry."

The werebeast straightens his loose hanging shirt, brushes a shoulder off of dried ogre blood, and looks his allies each dead in the eyes.

"We do not possess frailties or an abundance of time. We have each other, a mission, and the strength to overcome. We are the blessed, the chosen, the blooded."

He begins gorging on the salted pork, teeth gnashing, spittle flying.

JanusJones
2014-03-02, 11:55 PM
There's an awkward pause as the scholar and the scout regard one another.

Finally, Risk clears his throat. "So yes, I think the ale would be best for the chaotic camp. If we strike both, I rather think its either myself or Boxon who can do best alone - me because I'm rather talented at scarpering, and him because he evidently doesn't need or want to."

Plerumque
2014-03-04, 08:25 PM
"Right. Them first, then. It's a shame to think that we'll lose the element of surprise, but if we hide soon after getting the party well and truly started, we can use guerrilla tactics. You can strew chaos around the disciplined camp with illusions and poison, the bear can devastate small areas and leave before they've noticed, and I... well, I'd rather not dance with the ogres either, as you put it. I've only got so many spare pairs of glasses. If I had a bow, I could shoot from far away, I suppose. O'course, I'd hate to abandon Regina here, but sometimes you have to make sacrifices for the greater good." S.S. strokes the battered scroll sadly.

JanusJones
2014-03-05, 04:39 PM
"Right. So I'll take the chaotic camp by myself, and beat a quick retreat if things get too hairy. You two can either accompany me and step in if they get wise, or assault the second camp."

"Gonna need a bit more ..."

Rebuilding a tad, then some craft rolls, then lets go pick a FIGHT! I'm sprawlin' fer a brawlin'!

Plerumque
2014-03-05, 05:03 PM
"No, we can all tackle the chaotic camp, that works for me. I was just thinking on how to preserve the element of surprise afterward." Simius looks hopefully over at where Risk is conjuring some plants. "I don't suppose you could rustle me up a bow?" he asks.

JanusJones
2014-03-06, 12:02 AM
Risk looks thoughtful, then shakes his head, ruefully. "Look, I'm still getting used to what I can do - I assume its the same with you. Here's what I can tell."

He raises his right hand, removing his close-fitting leather glove. There's a slight purplish haze, almost imperceptible, floating near the dusky skin. Using his left, he begins to pull and spin it, coaxing what looks like a long, low, liquid droplet of bluish-purple to drip from his fingers. As his companions look on, he begins to weave the spirit-stuff, his left shaping and stroking, pulling it into a long, slender shape.

In a moment, he hands Simius a thick stick of darkwood. It's uneven, but polished.

"I can shape it into anything natural, but nothing I can't make myself. I've been trained as an assassin, so poisons are easy enough, but I'm no smith or carpenter. If we had time and you the skill, I could give you the raw materials you needed to work with, but I doubt it would last much longer than it would take you to shape the bow."

Plerumque
2014-03-06, 07:03 AM
"Not a problem," the sage replies. "I can provide the skill you need." He taps Risk, and suddenly the drow's brain is flooded with the memories of a thousand different artisans, woodworkers, and fletchers, and he sees the schematic of the bow as clearly as if it had been laid out before him. Simius sits back expectantly.

JanusJones
2014-03-06, 11:02 AM
Risk's eyes widen suddenly, and he puts a hand to his temple before looking up in wonder at Simius. "Oh, now that's a proper power! Why've you wasted so much time swinging around a big roll of parchment when you can do that?"

He rolls back his sleeve with almost feverish excitement. The purplish shadowstuff is coiled about his skin in translucent strands, which he wraps about his fingers and begins to unwind and shape.

[roll0]; you want composite or arrows with that?

Assuming we have ~5 minutes to do this if I don't swing it first try.

In a moment, he hands Simius a slender, smoothly polished bow of darkwood that gleams with a cold, sinister lustre. Risk rubs his hands together as though bringing the warmth back into them, an almost feverish look in his eye.

"I don't suppose you could do that for something other than bows, could you? There's this lovely plant I've only read about - bit of a legend in my circles, really - and I've been doing my level best to re-create it, but I just can't seem to get the balance right ..."

Plerumque
2014-03-06, 02:36 PM
Yeah, I'd love a composite bow. That'd be high enough to get +4 strength rating, right? Arrows would be nice as well.

"I've not studied poison much, though I've picked up a few things here and there," Simius says, accepting the gift. "But that shouldn't really matter. All knowledge wants to find a good home, in someone who will remember it well and put it to use. Even if the skill I can provide is transient, it's still a bit more in the world." He smiles, eyes crinkling at the corners, and touches the elf lightly on the forehead.

JanusJones
2014-03-06, 05:09 PM
Risk is quickly sunk into a flurry of creation, fingers dancing as he weaves materials out of nothing.

Assuming you give me some ranks in smithing so I can also make myself some needles, and ...

ROLLS!

Black Lotus (DC 35): [roll0]
Greensickness (DC 35): [roll1]
Needles (MW, ammo, out of a steely wood): [roll2]
Arrows (MW, ammo, out of a steely wood): [roll3]
Some thin-skinned plant balloons (think seaweed pouches, sealable): [roll4]

JanusJones
2014-03-06, 05:54 PM
[roll0] for Greensickness again.

JanusJones
2014-03-06, 06:04 PM
[roll0] ... again. Argh! GOOOOOOO!

JanusJones
2014-03-08, 08:26 PM
Risk lays out all the equipment he's shaped over the past few minutes. After preparing it all carefully, he recruits Boxon's help loading the cart and the team goes over the plans a final time.

"Right. Boxon plays ogre, brings in cart. I stay close-by, hidden. Ogres drink, go nuts, start bashing one another. Boxon joins the party, I pick off stragglers. Simius joins in when commanders show up, or before, depending on need."