PDA

View Full Version : debating losing my psicrystal

paperarmor
2014-02-21, 04:45 PM
so I'm working on a transhumanist psion that wants to use the fusion/astral seed suicide trick in order to become more powerful I was wondering if it would be worth it to fuse with the psicrystal or keep it around

Phelix-Mu
2014-02-21, 04:50 PM
I'd keep it around. There are like a half-dozen decent tricks involving psicrystals, and generally they can help round out utility stuff for a class that can't just plunk down useful spells in a spellbook.

BTW, I don't know if you are planning to hit epic, but they are pretty rockin' at epic levels.

CIDE
2014-02-21, 06:54 PM
Assuming the most OP RAW we can here...

Once you're at a level where you can do the astral seed/fusion trick and have the experience use psychic reformation to replace all feats you can with improved psicrystal. Assuming RAW here and when you do this it increases psicrystal's HD as well. As per fusion the combination has the higher of the two HD.

So Fuse, astral seed, and then upon awakening psychic reformation with one of your changed feats being psicrystal affinity for a new crystal and have fun with your new higher character level and feat options in your choice of your class.

paperarmor
2014-02-21, 07:45 PM
How do I always manage to forget Psychic Reformation? I don't actually have to lose anything to do this thanks guys

Phelix-Mu
2014-02-21, 10:31 PM
How do I always manage to forget Psychic Reformation? I don't actually have to lose anything to do this thanks guys

The TO of psionics pretty much always leads to closed-loop infinity things. It's cool like that. I like it because the modularity lends itself to being toned down in a more granular way than spells, in my mind.

I don't know if you are hip to the current TO, but the logical extreme of RAW allows psions to know all powers and all spells via psychic chirurgery and some psion somewhere having access to an StP erudite. Once a the spells are known by psions, telepaths are hired to teach other psions psychic chirurgery, and liberal use of thought bottles allows enough psy reform and psy chirurgery that any psion with the power/money can know any spells/powers that they want, all manifested sans components and without having to memorize stuff.

Pretty cool beans, if you ask me

paperarmor
2014-02-21, 10:50 PM
Yeah it's pretty awesome. I even got my dm to ok thought bottles. This is the first high op character I've ever tried to build so I'm trying not to get too terribly deep into the TO although we are headed toward epic so I may not have a whole lot of choice.

Phelix-Mu
2014-02-21, 11:34 PM
Yeah it's pretty awesome. I even got my dm to ok thought bottles. This is the first high op character I've ever tried to build so I'm trying not to get too terribly deep into the TO although we are headed toward epic so I may not have a whole lot of choice.

Ah, pick up a telepath cohort/thrall and go to town. This will at least alleviate most of the issue of picking powers (which can soak up a lot of irl time). Once the cohort/thrall has 9ths (or as soon as the DM lets you nab psychic chirurgery yourself), just write down "all powers" on your powers known sheet, lol.

More specifically, you should ask your DM if Epic Manifesting is on the table once you reach that level. Just like Epic Spellcasting, it is a serious gamechanger. Otherwise, feats like Epic Psionic Focus and such are all quite fun to play around with.

Finally, with fusion/astral seed on the table, see if the DM is open to synchronicity loops. Linked Power itself is mega-useful, and if you Metapower a Linked Synchronicty thing, you end up with an infinite actions loop. Even if your DM puts a limit on it, it's still a good way to milk the action economy, which is one of the strong suits of psions (via temporal acceleration, hustle, and the like).