PDA

View Full Version : Building a "Link" style adventurer.

tadkins
2014-02-21, 08:59 PM
Thinking of a skilled melee combatant that can be competent with a bow when he needs to use ranged attacks. Wouldn't be a character of pure brawn, either; he'd possess an arsenal of magical tools and the intelligence to use them to solve various problems he came across.

Can it be done?

weckar
2014-02-21, 09:00 PM
Which Link? Their skill sets, if we want to mimic them, vary quite a bit.

Santra
2014-02-21, 09:02 PM
I would just take a level of fighter and then X levels of warlock. Fluff each of his invocations as a different unique artifact.

tadkins
2014-02-21, 09:03 PM
Which Link? Their skill sets, if we want to mimic them, vary quite a bit.

For the sake of this discussion, let's go with the Link to the Past one, only because I'm most familiar with that. I imagine most Links share basic traits throughout the series, though; an elf-like swordfighter with a bunch of magic items who solves puzzles and fights evil.

Nettlekid
2014-02-21, 09:04 PM
Although it doesn't (by a long way) capture all of Link's various capabilities, the Eternal Blade PrC from Tome of Battle is probably the best for flavor. It taps into the memories of warriors of generations past, just like Link carries on the reincarnated cycle. Those ancient warrior spirits coalesce and take the form of a floating, glowing ball, you Blade Guide. Hey, listen!

EDIT: Plus, the Elfiness of Eternal Blade and Int-focus of the Warblade fit Link pretty well. Not to mention Weapon Aptitude letting him switch up his style for whatever he picks up, which is what Link often does.

weckar
2014-02-21, 09:07 PM
For what ECL are we building, anyway? Seems to me a non-casting Bard may capture the flavor of Link best... are there ACFs that do away with the casting?

Gray Mage
2014-02-21, 09:08 PM
I'd go Warblade from ToB into the Eternal Blade PrC from the same book, with maybe some Champion of Champion of Corellon Larethian (Elegant Strike for dex to damage in addition to str) and/or a dip into Fighter for feats.

Needless to say Iron Hand maneuvers such as Adamantine Hurricane, Mithral Tornado and Steel Wind are a must.

Edit: Swordsaged.

Malimar
2014-02-21, 09:09 PM
inb4 Factotum

...wait, how has this thread gone several posts without anybody else mentioning factotum? Has it just become too obvious as an answer to every "build X character in D&D" thread? Or is it because factotum has (limited) casting and Link doesn't?

Santra
2014-02-21, 09:19 PM
inb4 Factotum

...wait, how has this thread gone several posts without anybody else mentioning factotum? Has it just become too obvious as an answer to every "build X character in D&D" thread? Or is it because factotum has (limited) casting and Link doesn't?

I felt that warlock refluffed fit his magic items better without having to get DM approval with unique items.

tadkins
2014-02-21, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the responses so far, everyone. :)

Love these ideas. Was a little concerned that it might have been a tall order, seeing as Link can do quite a bit and D&D is a game of limits. A skilled warrior that's also good with magical items? Plus, Link as a character is designed to take on the world by himself; you don't see that a lot in D&D either.

Factotum was the first thought I had too, but I'm personally not a big fan of that class. Wanted to find out if there might have been some other angles to go with the concept.

Stoneback
2014-02-21, 09:30 PM
My first thought was straight-up elf bard. UMD lets him do a lot of the tricks he does and he gets lots of skill points. If there is a non-casting bard, that's probably the way to go. If you want him to be meatier, alternate bard and fighter.

This is not as optimized as the other builds people have shown, but it has the advantage is never leaving the PHB.

Derpldorf
2014-02-21, 09:31 PM
Honestly to me he feels like a feat rogue that's somehow managed to finagle himself several artifact level magic items.

weckar
2014-02-21, 09:34 PM
Half-Elf Bard variant, I think.

Replace spellcasting with fighter feats (lack of BAB will balance it to a normal fighter)

Kalaska'Agathas
2014-02-21, 09:48 PM
Maybe a Bard/Warblade with Song of the White Raven?

Eldest
2014-02-21, 09:52 PM
inb4 Factotum

He does have casting. Ocarina of Time. I'd go with a Factotum/Warblade mix.

AuraTwilight
2014-02-21, 10:45 PM
http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Wandering_Hero_(3.5e_Class)

I personally really like this homebrew class, which is pretty much deliberately designed for exactly this. If your DM doesn't allow homebrew, it's not very difficult to emulate it with official material so you can use it as an idea springboard.

Slipperychicken
2014-02-21, 10:59 PM
My advice? Get the other players on board with this and go in with a full team of different-colored Links.

Blue = divine casting/healer -> Cleric, Favored Soul, etc.
Purple = arcane casting -> Factotum, Sorcerer, or Wizard
Red = beatstick #1/dps -> Warblade, Crusader, Barbarian, Duskblade, etc.
Green = face/skills/beatstick #2 -> Rogue or Bard.

The trick is to make sure the GM doesn't figure it out until at least several sessions in. Have each player come in with a different description of Link's outfit (i.e. long [color] cap, [color] tunic, white leggings, brown belt, brown boots), in the proper color, same race (human, half-elf, or elf) similar physical descriptions (blonde, blue eyes, sharp ears, thin, muscular), and probably similarly-described shields to boot :smallbiggrin:

atomicwaffle
2014-02-21, 11:02 PM
Full Elf Bard.

Full Elf gives him proficiency with Longsword and Longbow, plus ears are longer. Ocarina as instrument. Link CAN cast spells (he has a magic meter after all). Either that or Ranger

Averis Vol
2014-02-21, 11:08 PM
How bout Half elf (Eww, but it is technically correct) targeteer fighter 2/warblade 4/crusader 1/Champion of corellon larethian 2/warblade+1/Eternal blade 10

with one flaw you can have all the feats you need to get into CoCL, crusader meets the armor requirement as well as gives you some devoted spirit maneuvers (Always nice) as well as not hurting your IL much. At level 6 you can take companion guard style to weapon finesse your longsword, and if you want to stick to the character all gung ho, you can pick up whirlwind down the line a bit.

So you have a fairly dex/int SAD character, deriving to hit and damage from dexterity, as well as having a good AC, reflex and touch from the high dex as well as good to hit with your bow and dex to damage with it as well.

you also have 9th level maneuvers, but that was kind of obvious.

Nihilarian
2014-02-21, 11:17 PM
The Ranger has a spell that allows him to attack everyone around him. Bladestorm, I think? That could mimic spin attack fairly well. High level, though.

I'd consider making a Swift Hunter.

You might want Wild Cohort to get Epona. Which reminds me of the Bowman Charger from Dragon 325, as well. Might be able to make an interesting Link build from that.

Ancestral Relic could be used to get you a special magic weapon that grows in battle as you adventure.

The best way, as others pointed out, is Warblade/Eternal Blade. Maybe with a Factotum dip.

Knaight
2014-02-22, 12:03 AM
How bout Half elf (Eww, but it is technically correct) targeteer fighter 2/warblade 4/crusader 1/Champion of corellon larethian 2/warblade+1/Eternal blade 10

How is it technically correct? Sure, Link has pointy ears, but other than that the whole Hylian-Elf connection is tenuous at best. Hylians are pretty much typical human in build, and while Link tends to be short he also tends to be at least a bit stocky (past age 10 or so). Human would work fine, and the extra feat helps given that Link is a generalist.

Drelua
2014-02-22, 12:54 AM
I'm not too familiar with link, but a Ranger/Paladin might work, with Devoted Tracker to get Epona as both your special mount and animal companion. You could take Serenity from Dragon Magazine to make Paladin Wisdom based, since Link probably doesn't have too much Charisma, judging by how much he talks. Paladin seems to fit him pretty well flavour-wise, though I can't quite put my finger on why. It's definitely not as optimal as some of the other ideas here, but it could be fun.

Oh, and he definitely needs a Handy Haversack. He has way too much random stuff to actually be carrying all of it, plus that explains how he becomes lighter when he takes his iron boots off.

georgie_leech
2014-02-22, 02:07 AM
You could take Serenity from Dragon Magazine to make Paladin Wisdom based, since Link probably doesn't have too much Charisma, judging by how much he talks.

I dunno, he sure makes plenty of allies and, if the fandom is to be believed, makes multiple people fall in love with him. Without ever saying a word. Doesn't seem like that's a feat that someone without Charisma could do. Although his speaking parts do seem to make more enemies than allies...

Paladin seems to fit him pretty well flavour-wise, though I can't quite put my finger on why. It's definitely not as optimal as some of the other ideas here, but it could be fun.

Fights with Sword and Shield, Smites (fights) Evil, wields a Holy Avenger (The Master Sword in whatever form), Immune to Fear, has a summon-able Mount...

Erik Vale
2014-02-22, 02:40 AM
I dunno, he sure makes plenty of allies and, if the fandom is to be believed, makes multiple people fall in love with him. Without ever saying a word. Doesn't seem like that's a feat that someone without Charisma could do. Although his speaking parts do seem to make more enemies than allies...

Fights with Sword and Shield, Smites (fights) Evil, wields a Holy Avenger (The Master Sword in whatever form), Immune to Fear, has a summon-able Mount...

... Point has been made.

I could definitely see Link as a Elf Paladin/Bard. Bard for Ocarina and the skills [perhaps bardic knack rather than knowledge, given that bardic knowledge would have covered several plot central expositions]. However Bardic Music + Ocarina music is very different.

Ziegander
2014-02-22, 02:58 AM
Factotum is actually horrible for... any character. Just putting that out there. Shots fired as tumblr would say.

grarrrg
2014-02-22, 03:23 AM
Max ranks in UMD.
Make him a Kender.
No, wait, hear me out.

Link is TOTALLY a Kender. He's cute, he's lovable, he's a klepto, and he'll just walk right into your house, break all of your pottery, steal all of your rupees, and you'll STILL love him.

ericgrau
2014-02-22, 03:28 AM
Fighter (or similar class) with a lot of magic items. The composite bow should really be a backup option so you don't lose too much focus; not that it was crazy strong in the game anyway.

You can get around jack of all trades master of none issues on magic items by devoting only about 1/4 of your wealth to non-melee-combat items and selecting cheap ones. In D&D they are still well worth it, especially if you're clever. In fact it is better to select a lot of cheap ones than a few good ones, and you can play up the Link 30 special item arsenal bit. The thing is D&D charges a big premium for permanent items and you're only going to use any particular item a couple times anyway, so go with expendables instead of permanents.

While not strictly necessary, UMD does help. Wands don't have arcane spell failure btw. And you only need a +10 UMD to reliably use wands between combat. Just keep retrying. In combat you need a +19, but you probably don't want to use bargain bin wands in combat anyway. Just to be tricky between fights.

tadkins
2014-02-22, 03:34 AM
Factotum is actually horrible for... any character. Just putting that out there. Shots fired as tumblr would say.

I'm not a fan of the Factotum. Skillful characters are great, but you don't need to throw every single skill onto them. Especially ones that make no sense, like Iaijutsu Focus and Autohypnosis.

Furthermore, your big power is that you can make yourself the best at everything? Screams a boring Mary Sue-type character to me.

Ziegander
2014-02-22, 03:41 AM
I'm not a fan of the Factotum. Skillful characters are great, but you don't need to throw every single skill onto them. Especially ones that make no sense, like Iaijutsu Focus and Autohypnosis.

Furthermore, your big power is that you can make yourself the best at everything? Screams a boring Mary Sue-type character to me.

Actually, a Factotum's big power is supposed to be that he can be as good as an average example of any other class, not the best. Unfortunately, this is not at all the case. The Factotum, as I have discovered, perhaps more painfully than anyone, requires just as much specialization to be effective as anyone else. The fact that he can specialized to do more things than other classes does not change the fact that he is not actually good at anything at all without specialization, and is, in fact, really bad at everything without that specialization. That's why I say the Factotum is really bad for almost everybody. If we're talking gestalt, well, disregard my statements.

tadkins
2014-02-22, 04:10 AM
Actually, a Factotum's big power is supposed to be that he can be as good as an average example of any other class, not the best. Unfortunately, this is not at all the case. The Factotum, as I have discovered, perhaps more painfully than anyone, requires just as much specialization to be effective as anyone else. The fact that he can specialized to do more things than other classes does not change the fact that he is not actually good at anything at all without specialization, and is, in fact, really bad at everything without that specialization. That's why I say the Factotum is really bad for almost everybody. If we're talking gestalt, well, disregard my statements.

It's still enough to have rendered other skill classes like Rogues obsolete, unfortunately.

Kalaska'Agathas
2014-02-22, 04:46 AM
Whatever the build, the character must have a Rod of Ropes. Absolutely must.

Gemini476
2014-02-22, 05:50 AM
Most of Link's more unique abilities amount to magic items or artifacts - the main things that are more unique to Link himself are general skill is swordsmanship and a dizzying variety of weapons.

So Warblade, basically.

Oh, and puzzles. But mostly he's just very good at using the items he finds, be it boomerangs, bows, hookshots, or giant ball & chains.

Take a Warblade with some way to get Knowledge(Dungeoneering) as a class skill and you'll be well on your way towards making a good Link.

The only Link I know of that had non-item dependent magic would be the one from Adventure of Link, and his spells are pretty hard to quantify. Maybe a Divine Crusader would work? It's way more of a Psionics system, though, so maybe the way to go is more War Mind or something.

For ALttP Link specifically you might want someone with a good UMD or access to some specific spell lists, since he uses staves and suchlike.

ArcanistSupreme
2014-02-22, 06:44 AM
He needs at least a Crusader dip to represent finding hearts (he can heal himself with the life energy of fallen foes).

Erik Vale
2014-02-22, 07:14 AM
Lay on hands, cure light wounds, potion drops.

Mato
2014-02-22, 11:41 AM
Warblade is a must imho. Mithral tornado and adamantine hurricane are your spin attacks. Finishing blow is, well your finishing blow (twilight princess). Steel wind even gives you the opportunity to deal damage damage in the form of two attacks at the 1st level, kind of like N64's jump attack. Iron heart focus is like having a fairy in a bottle and iron heart surge is the embodiment of Link shrugging off effects he shouldn't using the triforce of courage.

The MMX forums also have a partially completed homebrew look at using incarnum for Link's treasures if you're looking into house rules too.

Slipperychicken
2014-02-22, 12:03 PM
He needs at least a Crusader dip to represent finding hearts (he can heal himself with the life energy of fallen foes).

I prefer to think he just rips their hearts out and eats them.

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/356/2/b/link_needs_hearts__happy_halloween__by_shattered_e arth-d5joz57.jpg

Manly Man
2014-02-22, 12:15 PM
Be a Warblade//Bard gestalt, and see if your DM would let you use this (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/super-genius-games/adept-godling/archetypes/super-genius-games---adept-godling-archetypes/spellhammer#TOC-Bard) little feature instead of being able to actually cast spells (just gains spell slots to use for the Spelldrive feature).

Gemini476
2014-02-22, 01:57 PM
Hmm, yeah. OoT Link is a bit Bard-ish, what with all the musical instruments. TP Link and WW Link are probably Warblades, given their martial capabilities (and TP Link has Iajutsu Focus, somehow). I'm not sure what the other Links have that make them particularly different from anyone else, but I guess that TP Link might also be a Lycanthrope or something?

Prime32
2014-02-22, 02:11 PM
Hmm, yeah. OoT Link is a bit Bard-ish, what with all the musical instruments. TP Link and WW Link are probably Warblades, given their martial capabilities (and TP Link has Iajutsu Focus, somehow). I'm not sure what the other Links have that make them particularly different from anyone else, but I guess that TP Link might also be a Lycanthrope or something?I'd say Twilight Princess Link is probably the best overall swordsman to date, due to all the different sword skills (http://zeldawiki.org/Hidden_Skill) he can learn (plus wrestling!), but he also has the fewest magic powers - even his wolf form isn't something he can use on his own. Minish Cap and Wind Waker come second due to Tiger Scrolls (http://zeldawiki.org/Tiger_Scrolls) and Parries (http://zeldawiki.org/Parry) respectively, and Skyward Sword required you to feint against some enemies before you could hit them. Adventure of Link had more midair options than usual, with his upward and downward thrusts.

Skyward Sword's Link is probably the most athletic. ALttP's Link probably has the largest number of magic items, while OoT/MM Link relies the most on music. ALBW Link has regenerating mana, which is something, while AoL Link was an outright gish.

Nihilarian
2014-02-22, 02:20 PM
Hmm, yeah. OoT Link is a bit Bard-ish, what with all the musical instruments. TP Link and WW Link are probably Warblades, given their martial capabilities (and TP Link has Iajutsu Focus, somehow). I'm not sure what the other Links have that make them particularly different from anyone else, but I guess that TP Link might also be a Lycanthrope or something?You would have to alter the template a bit so it doesn't turn you evil, but otherwise, yeah. Alternatively, There's a first level Ranger spell called Aspect of the Wolf, or even the shapeshifting ranger variant from UA.

For Twilight Princess I'd go Shapeshifting Ranger 6/Warblade 4/Eternal Blade 10

For Majora's Mask, I could see going SSRanger 5/Master of Many Forms 3/Warblade 3/Eternal Blade 9. Although, Warblade 6/Master of Masks 6/Eternal Blade 8 would likely fit the flavor better. Or if you don't mind losing IL, Warblade 5/Master of Masks 10/Eternal Blade 5.

ericgrau
2014-02-22, 02:30 PM
He's not that good at being a bard though. Again it's the items. There are a lot of musical and skill based magic items in general in D&D that only take a few ranks.

Swordsmanship improvements come with the consoles, and most aren't any better than what ordinary skill provides. He seems more like the most basically built fighter imaginable with whirlwind attack. But he gets a lot of cool items.

Averis Vol
2014-02-22, 04:58 PM
How is it technically correct? Sure, Link has pointy ears, but other than that the whole Hylian-Elf connection is tenuous at best. Hylians are pretty much typical human in build, and while Link tends to be short he also tends to be at least a bit stocky (past age 10 or so). Human would work fine, and the extra feat helps given that Link is a generalist.

1) build requires elf or half elf.
2) he meets pre reqs just fine.

You seem to think half elves are elves. While they are slightly shorter then humans, they are burlier than elves with less pointed ears. There is also the deep mysticism around the Hyrulains. And, while never outright said, I believe they are a quasi-human race, so I think half elf is fine.

There are tons of different interpretations, mine is rather common amongst the folks I know that like the series, so it's the one I use (and agree with).

Erik Vale
2014-02-22, 07:05 PM
Warblade is a must imho. Mithral tornado and adamantine hurricane are your spin attacks. Finishing blow is, well your finishing blow (twilight princess). Steel wind even gives you the opportunity to deal damage damage in the form of two attacks at the 1st level, kind of like N64's jump attack. Iron heart focus is like having a fairy in a bottle and iron heart surge is the embodiment of Link shrugging off effects he shouldn't using the triforce of courage.

The MMX forums also have a partially completed homebrew look at using incarnum for Link's treasures if you're looking into house rules too.

2 Words:
Whirlwind Attack

Manly Man
2014-02-22, 07:10 PM
2 Words:
Whirlwind Attack

Which is a waste of feat slots that could be better spent elsewhere on getting the rest of his abilities to match him better.

Erik Vale
2014-02-22, 07:39 PM
Your claiming Link is optimized? :smallconfused:

Nihilarian
2014-02-22, 08:09 PM
Your claiming Link is optimized? :smallconfused:Yes, they are generally the most competent guy around. That's why they always save the princess and beat the bad guy.

More to the point, few people want to play an incompetent character. Especially if the character is based off of a character they grew up idolizing.

Erik Vale
2014-02-22, 08:34 PM
There's a difference between incompetent and supper optimised.
And there's a difference between a un-optimized level 6 and a optimized level 1. One can save the world, one cant.

I think perhaps we should make a list of things Link can do, and build characters that can do such. Here's mine from Majora's Mask, OOT, Twilight Princess.

Be really courageous.
Be good with a wide variety of weapons. [Sticks, Swords, Boomerangs, Hookshot, Bows of various size, bombs. Replicatable with feats in exotic weapon proficiency, and since when is that optimized]
Is agile. [Ranks in tumble]
Able to utilise magic items/some spells. [Ranks in UMD]
Able to play a variety of instruments. [Versitile Performer, Ocarina, Singing, Guitar, or just ranks in each]
Ride a horse/have a animal companion [Epona].
Transform into a wolf that can track [Ranks in Survival, Lycanthrope [Or Dire Lycanthrope?], however this is rather world specific]
Able to wear a variety of armors, but prefers light to heavy.
Faster than most things. [Speed boost, see below or go scout]

I'd go Paladin/Ranger [Ranger swapping out Fighting Style for Fast movement... And wildshape that he never uses or trades for something else?] using spell points instead of vaniacan casting.

Invader
2014-02-22, 08:48 PM
I can't believe no one has brought up EWP Talenta boomerang and the boomerang daze feat. It's pretty much a staple.

Nihilarian
2014-02-22, 08:50 PM
Speaking of unoptimized, the Psychic Weapon Master (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040827d) could do a great job of mimicking one of the Links. Ability to enchant sword, Whirlwind as a standard action and manifesting "magic" progression.

The Blade of Arvandor (BoED) grants you a sword beam.

Prime32
2014-02-22, 08:59 PM
I can't believe no one has brought up EWP Talenta boomerang and the boomerang daze feat. It's pretty much a staple.Rather than taking the EWP feat you'd be better off with a level of Exoticist-variant Fighter, or Master of Masks. Link's used a lot of weapons that would qualify as exotic.