PDA

View Full Version : Mount Question for a Dwarf

Hurlbut
2007-01-30, 02:29 PM
The game is in Forgotten Realms, the party is currently inhabiting a keep in or near Cormyr, watching over the lands (but still able to adventures :P).
Character level is 6-7th.
What creatures are avialable as a mount for a dwarf fighter on surface?
Other than the usual pony or horse I mean :P
I was thinking Dire Boar but is that too out of place for the game's setting?

shaka gl
2007-01-30, 02:36 PM
I think its a little out of place, but its your game. For that lvl, maybe some Deep Hounds can do the trick...

Hurlbut
2007-01-30, 02:52 PM
I checked Deep Hound. It seems to be only for Underdark as it has light sensitivity. I was asking about a possible mount for the surface.

Hurlbut
2007-01-30, 03:00 PM
Dwarfs are medium sized; you could just get a horse.

"Other than the usual pony or horse I mean "

Thomas
2007-01-30, 03:04 PM
Dire boars. (And dire bears. Just to honor the motivational poster, if nothing else.) They fit perfectly well (and might've been mentioned as a dwarven cavalry mount in some novel; I'm not sure).

Anything Large that lives underground.

General_Ghoul
2007-01-30, 03:07 PM
What about an ostrich. A bit unusual, but that sounds like what you want. They have great speed, a decent kick attack, and if he ever pisses you off, I hear they taste great.

Hurlbut
2007-01-30, 03:10 PM
What about an ostrich. A bit unusual, but that sounds like what you want. They have great speed, a decent kick attack, and if he ever pisses you off, I hear they taste great.

They have ostriches in Cormyr?

goat
2007-01-30, 05:40 PM
A Dire Beaver. Trees beware!

Hurlbut
2007-01-30, 08:54 PM
Eh I'll go with the classic; Dire Boar cavalry.

Dhavaer
2007-01-30, 08:55 PM
Rhinos. Dwarves love rhinos.

Hurlbut
2007-01-30, 08:59 PM
Okay you got me baffled. Why and how they get them?

Jack Mann
2007-01-30, 09:02 PM
By having a wizard cast Elminster's Infallable Rhino Attractor, obviously.

Dhavaer
2007-01-30, 09:08 PM
By having a wizard cast Elminster's Infallable Rhino Attractor, obviously.

Precisely. The other traditional option is advanced rust monsters, although you have to be careful with them.

The_Werebear
2007-01-31, 01:55 AM
Dwarves...riding Rhinos into combat...

My brain just exploded from the sheer awesomness of that idea.

starwoof
2007-01-31, 02:24 AM
Rhinos. Dwarves love rhinos.

Damn, thats exactly what I was gonna say.

Barring that you can import a tricerotops from Chult or wherever they hide the things. :smallbiggrin:

JaronK
2007-01-31, 02:24 AM
For some reason Dwarfs can ride Ponies, which are medium... which opens up the possibility of riding Dire Badgers and using underground stealth cavalry. Hey, they're dwarfs, they burrow, it's cool. That's more a gnome thing though.

Dwarfs with wood and stone weapons mounted on Rust Monsters is actually mentioned in AEG, I believe, and that's all kinds of scary. Still, the whole party needs to not have metal things. Rust Monsters are evidently very friendly when they're not eating your sword.

Bullettes also seem like a very dwarfy option...

JaronK

Fizban
2007-01-31, 02:33 AM
Since when do dwarves ride ponies? They weigh more than humans, they ride horses. I don't care what anyone else says.

Also the umpteenjillionth person to say: dwarves on rhinos, teh awesome.

For a fighter, it depends on what you can buy in game or cajole the DM into letting you do. With the animal cohort feat, you could get a rhino/dire boar/dire wolf/tiger/brown bear at lv10, but not 7.

Ikkitosen
2007-01-31, 09:03 AM
Warpig! Warpig! Warpig! Warpig!

Meat Shield
2007-01-31, 09:48 AM
Have they updated the Aurumvorax for 3rd edition? That always struck me as a beautiful option for a dwarven mount.

God help you if you ever come up against a Dire Aurumvorax. [/shudder]

Jewish_Joke
2007-01-31, 11:55 PM
I always liked the idea of Dire Rams (or battle rams, if you have access to the Alliance Guidebook for WoW pnp). Something 'bout a grumpy mountain dwarf riding a giant, grumpy mountain goat with a gore attack just sounds like good times to me!

That or dire wolverines....

*shudder*

Person_Man
2007-02-01, 12:09 AM
Yeah, its often overlooked that a PC with enough ranks in Handle Animal can just buy and train some pretty effective mounts, without the need for any special class features. I've alway been a fan of elephants. Trample rules.

Golthur
2007-02-01, 12:15 AM

In an old AD&D campaign, I played a dwarf who was trying to create a battle cow he could ride, but now that you mention it, a warpig sounds awesome.

Meat Shield
2007-02-01, 12:17 AM
Found it!
Aurumvorax (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20001222c)

Pity, looks like they shrunk it from 2nd Ed. Could have sworn it was five feet long at least....

Still want to see a Dire Aurumvorax....

The_Snark
2007-02-01, 01:35 AM
Ah, I saw this thread and went, "Rhino," but it seems others have already made the suggestion. So long as it doesn't have to function undergroud, the rhino is perfect for a dwarf.

Monkeyking
2007-02-01, 02:10 AM
Damn I was way off track! I thought a dire Billy goat.....when I should have thought rhino!

Fizban
2007-02-01, 03:40 AM
Yeah, its often overlooked that a PC with enough ranks in Handle Animal can just buy and train some pretty effective mounts, without the need for any special class features. I've alway been a fan of elephants. Trample rules.
But where are the costs for these mounts listed? It's really annoying, for example, the arms and equipment guide has a whole section on mounts. Cost for egg, cost for young, cost for training, training DC's, but never the cost of a trained adult, or even an untrained adult. Most adventurers don't have the time to raise a baby for a mount, and with no cost listed for an adult you're even more on the DM's mercy for finding one to tame.

Leon
2007-02-01, 03:55 AM

"The great boar charges, the hammer falls and blood soaks the battle field"

Thundertusk Cavalry

Renegade Paladin
2007-02-01, 04:28 AM
A griffon. They just win. Especially when advanced and given the proper feats. :smallbiggrin:

JaronK
2007-02-01, 04:36 AM
Desmodu Hunting Bat! Excellent detection, great manueverability, great stats...

JaronK

Maquis
2007-02-01, 05:56 AM
A Dire Mountain Lion (using slightly tweaked stats for a normal dire lion, or dire leopard, if there aren't any already) could be fun, though I have no idea if it'd fit in the setting.

Though I will admit I've had fun with a Dire Giant Tortoise, when speed wasn't important.

Person_Man
2007-02-01, 11:18 AM
But where are the costs for these mounts listed? It's really annoying, for example, the arms and equipment guide has a whole section on mounts. Cost for egg, cost for young, cost for training, training DC's, but never the cost of a trained adult, or even an untrained adult. Most adventurers don't have the time to raise a baby for a mount, and with no cost listed for an adult you're even more on the DM's mercy for finding one to tame.

Yeah, it is sorta annoying. I usually just ask the DM for a side quest to find one. And if they don't feel like derailing the main plotline, they'll just assign an arbitrary gp cost. Usually its quite reasonable, since animals can easily be killed and require regular care.

bosssmiley
2007-02-01, 11:32 AM
Okay you got me baffled. Why and how they get them?

Tan Bag of Tricks? :smallwink:

Oh, and I'd let dwarves ride around on Dire Mountain Goats. Think about it: stubborn, wilful, foul-smelling, great on crags, horrendous charge. Match made in heaven methinks.

The_Werebear
2007-02-01, 11:37 AM
Has anyone suggested riding a bear?

Ikkitosen
2007-02-01, 11:49 AM
Has anyone suggested riding a bear?

Not to the bear :smalleek:

Thomas
2007-02-01, 11:55 AM
Cost for trained adult = cost of young + cost of training ?

I covered bear cavalry already, Werebeat... :smallwink:

Hurlbut
2007-02-01, 12:06 PM
What feats should I consider? I picked up Mounted Combat but that's all I could think of.

Hurlbut
2007-02-02, 02:53 PM
What about Thundertusk Cavalry? I can't believe I didn't recall it earlier.

FdL
2007-02-02, 06:42 PM
If I recall correctly, the dwarves of Mithral Hall rode some kind of war dogs to battle in a book by Salvatore. So there's an antecedent.

Norsesmithy
2007-02-02, 06:48 PM
I always liked the idea of Dire Rams (or battle rams, if you have access to the Alliance Guidebook for WoW pnp). Something 'bout a grumpy mountain dwarf riding a giant, grumpy mountain goat with a gore attack just sounds like good times to me!

That or dire wolverines....

*shudder*
2nding Dire Wolverines

Thomas
2007-02-02, 07:13 PM
If I recall correctly, the dwarves of Mithral Hall rode some kind of war dogs to battle in a book by Salvatore. So there's an antecedent.

You'd need Large dogs, with a pretty high Str score.