PDA

View Full Version : wearing a dead cloaker....

The Shadowdove
2014-02-21, 11:32 PM
So.....my newbie monk fought a cloaked and won ( I rolled 1 three times in a row)

Afterwards he decided to actually wear the damned thing.

What do I do?

-dove

StreamOfTheSky
2014-02-21, 11:34 PM
So.....my newbie monk fought a cloaked and won ( I rolled 1 three times in a row)

Afterwards he decided to actually wear the damned thing.

What do I do?

-dove

Give the Monk its Moan ability.

The monk will actually be playable after that. :smallwink:

Flickerdart
A cloaker is 100 pounds and 8 feet across. It would be like trying to wear a lead curtain as a cloak - futile and liable to get you killed.

SlaadLord
Let him...wear it? If not properly preserved, it'd rot over time, but what's wrong with him wearing a dead cloaker? Just tell him it fills his cloak magic item slot.

FirebirdFlying
2014-02-21, 11:37 PM
Also, I'd think it would rot without spells…

Maybe you could let him take it to get worked over by a leatherworker and/or wizard, and then come up with a custom magic item flavored off of the cloaker's abilities.

The Shadowdove
2014-02-22, 12:03 AM
Also, I'd think it would rot without spells…

Maybe you could let him take it to get worked over by a leatherworker and/or wizard, and then come up with a custom magic item flavored off of the cloaker's abilities.

Good idea!!

Anyone care to throw some ideas at me?

Red Fel
2014-02-22, 12:17 AM
First off, a Cloaker (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/cloaker.htm) is an intelligent, Large aberration capable of communicating. Killing one and wearing it like a cloak is like skinning a Goliath and wearing it as a kilt. Ew.

Second, I could think of several things you could do with it.

1. A Cloaker has a Moan ability. I don't see how you could replicate that with just the corpse, but you could probably refluff it as a per-day standard action use of the Unnerve ability.

2. A Cloaker can envelop. This is actually perfect for a Monk. The Cloaker Cloak gives the wearer the benefit of the Improved Grapple feat, if they do not already possess it. If they do possess it, say that it improves their grappling to such a degree that they can use the Cloak's features (e.g. its decorative jaws) to perform a bite attack on a grappled target in addition to the normal attacks that can be performed in a grapple.

3. A Cloaker can manipulate shadows. This is powerful magic, particularly the concealment chance. I would give the wearer a bonus to Hide checks, and possibly per-day concealment for 1d4 rounds, as the Cloaker's Obscure Vision ability.

Zaydos
2014-02-22, 12:17 AM
Maybe Moan 1/day or a blur-like effect so many times a day?

OldTrees1
2014-02-22, 12:18 AM
Good idea!!

Anyone care to throw some ideas at me?

Rather than giving the user abilities that mimic a cloaker, give the cloak abilities that mimic a cloaker.

Engulf: As a standard action provoke the cloak into engulfing you. You gain Total Cover for 1 round.

Dimers
2014-02-22, 12:47 AM
Well, a cloaker can fly despite its weight, so it probably has a sort of "lightness" resonance to it. You could start off with +10 to Jump checks, eventually increasing it to +20, +30, +60, even flight when the monk is a few levels higher. People who play monks often enjoy mobility and fantastic leaps.

The cloaker's active powers include concealment and mirror image, silent image, a special kind of grapple, a tail attack, and four kinds of mind-affecting sonic debuffs.

I don't really get mirror image in this list, but concealment is straightforward. Depending on how effective the monk is compared to the rest of the party, there's a spectrum of possibilities running from a standard-action power that grants 20% miss chance against enemies with normal vision only, all the way up to an always-on power that grants a 50% miss chance against anything other than true seeing. For a mid-level power that gives the monk a consolation prize when he can't flurry, have the concealment activate automatically when the monk moves 20+ feet on his own turn. (The cloak is flapping and throwing off both shadows and shadow-plane material.) And when you decide, remember how concealment and total concealment interact with Hide skill.

Silent Image? Sure, why not. This might as well be usable at will, maybe with some sort of skill roll to shape the illusion well (Profession: Illusion Artist? Runs off Wisdom, so that's better than Craft or Perform for the monk.)

Grapple: You could give the monk a constant bonus to grapple checks, or one that only works when the monk initiates the grapple. You could give a free grapple check when the monk hits, or a free tail attack against somebody else when the monk uses an attack action to start a grapple. A separate possibility: whenever the monk is grappled/grappling and some other creature/effect damages him, half the damage is applied to the other grappler instead.

Tail attack: The monk could make one attack per round with the tail's 10' reach, or could make one extra attack with the tail while flurrying. Make sure you count it as a "special monk weapon"!

Moans: The hardest category. No matter what, unless the monk has built to make use of Cha or Int, base all the DCs off his Wisdom or Constitution. You do NOT need a monk becoming more MAD. I'd suggest a 5' aura of whisper-quiet moans rather than targeted effects at a distance, unless the player spends a lot of in-game resources learning to 'operate' the cloak. The moans might reduce enemy speed (lesser stupor), force a save versus stackable shaken/frightened/panicked each time the monk hits a creature in the aura (lesser fear), impose a morale penalty on attacks and damage (lesser unnerve), force a save against nausea (lesser nausea) ...
For any effect you feel is powerful enough to restrict but do want to see in play, let the monk learn to use it by channeling ki -- spending stunning fist attempts! The player could choose one such power each time he takes a level in monk while still using the cloak.

Prime32
2014-02-22, 07:49 AM
A cloaker is 100 pounds and 8 feet across. It would be like trying to wear a lead curtain as a cloak - futile and liable to get you killed.So treat it like weighted training clothes, and 3/day have it grant Strength bonuses for a few rounds when you take it off. :smalltongue: (if you want to encourage doing this only when things are getting tough, have this also restore hp).

A Tad Insane
2014-02-22, 08:34 AM
So treat it like weighted training clothes, and 3/day have it grant Strength bonuses for a few rounds when you take it off. :smalltongue: (if you want to encourage doing this only when things are getting tough, have this also restore hp).

So getting naked makes you stronger in this game?

(or how ever that quote would go)

Sian
2014-02-22, 08:37 AM

That and it makes you more stealthy :smalltongue: Just ask Elan

Talya
2014-02-22, 08:39 AM

Getting naked is an excellent and underutilized tactic!

Drachasor
2014-02-22, 08:57 AM
A Magical Cloaker Coat....

+5 bonus on move silently and hide checks.
It has shadowy extradimensional spaces similar to Portable Hole. The user can divide this volume into separate spaces as a free action, as long as enough room remains in any space for whatever it is holding. Successfully pinning a creature lets you place it into one of these spaces as a free action. You can also transport any willing creature within your reach into the cloak by enveloping them as a move action. You may release anyone held as a move action as well.

Anyone held in the cloak requires no air to breath or food to eat, but remains conscious. Each round they must make save against Fear (Will), Nausea (Fort), or Hold Monster (Fort) just like a Cloaker's Moan. The effect any particular round is randomly determined.

Though, that's probably too much. I like the idea of a cloak you can stuff people in though.

Big Fau
2014-02-22, 09:08 AM

I believe a better version is "So nudity makes you stronger in this campaign?"

Darrin
2014-02-22, 09:15 AM
In Savage Species, there's a magic item called a Cloaker Flute. I'd probably refluff it as something similar.