PDA

View Full Version : corpsecrafter and lich

lordzya
2014-02-22, 12:51 AM
A simple question for the playground: if you have corpsecrafter feats and you animate yourself into an undead, do you get the benefits?

lunar2
2014-02-22, 12:52 AM
they apply to any undead you create, and a lich creates themselves, so yes. a lich can make especially good use of the one that makes them blow up when destroyed. set them up for kamikaze tactics.

Segev
2014-02-22, 01:04 AM
While I would certainly consider it within reason to rule that a Corpsecrafter who makes himself undead via ritual (lich, necropolitan, etc.) gets the benefits of his feats, I think the technical RAW would require that he do it explicitly by means of a necromancy spell. The feat calls out those words specifically.

Santra
2014-02-22, 01:05 AM
While I would certainly consider it within reason to rule that a Corpsecrafter who makes himself undead via ritual (lich, necropolitan, etc.) gets the benefits of his feats, I think the technical RAW would require that he do it explicitly by means of a necromancy spell. The feat calls out those words specifically.

Pretty sure there is at least one necromancy spell involved in the process of making yourself a lich.

Segev
2014-02-22, 01:09 AM
Pretty sure there is at least one necromancy spell involved in the process of making yourself a lich.

You'd think so, but it never does quite say...

In short, that would be one way for a DM to certainly allow it.

Lord Vukodlak
2014-02-22, 01:21 AM

The fact is Liches aren't created via a necromancy spell they're created via craft wondrous item. You became a Lich by creating a phylactery not by casting a necromancy spell(Wizards with nercomancy as a banned school, Bards and even Adepts can become Liches so a necromancy spell isn't required).

Crake
2014-02-22, 03:17 AM
UA has Enhance Undead, a necromancer ACF that you can take that trades out extra spellslots for what is essentially corpsecrafter, minus the "with a necromancy spell" clause, so it would work for this.

Dread necromancers get a similar ability called Undead mastery at level 8, pretty much exact same wording.

Dont forget to desecrate the area you finalize your transformation in too.

If you combine all that stuff together (dread necro 8/necromancer 1/Ultimate magus or something) you can get +4 str/dex and a total +6 hp/HD

lordzya
2014-02-22, 10:21 AM
So the trick to get this to work RAW is to get a contingency to raise yourself as a free-willed intelligent undead upon your death (Mummy? Mohrg? I've seen class levels on those). Then you are defiantly using a spell.