PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Any advice for a noob?

Gallifreyman
2014-02-22, 01:42 AM
I'm taking my first foray into tabletop gaming-I've tried my hand at it before, and I even wrote up a (horrible) character sheet once a few years ago. So any advice for where I should start at and do first?

Knaight
2014-02-22, 02:53 AM
If you have any friends that play RPGs, inform them that you're interested when the opportunity comes up in the context of normal conversation. If not, see if any friends are interested, and see about trying something out - this is particularly easy if you already have some sort of regular board game gathering or similar. It might also be worth seeing if there's some sort of local event at a game shop, though I can't say I've personally had much luck with that sort of thing.

Gallifreyman
2014-02-22, 05:05 AM
All right, thanks. I'll try out your suggestions. I know of a place that does games every once in a while, so I might ask around there.

Fabletop
2014-02-22, 07:58 AM
Check-out "Meetups" online. Maybe there are local groups in your area. That's how I discovered my local gaming community. Our game shop has a focus on card & board games. That's cool, but few people run rpgs there anymore.

You can also game here with us on the OotS forum. Tons of players, games and resources for ya:smallsmile:

kyoryu
2014-02-24, 04:29 PM
While playing in person is preferable, there's also a good amount of gaming that happens online, and that's certainly an option.

I'd highly recommend *playing* in a game before trying to *run* one, if at all possible