PDA

View Full Version : Damsel Dossier

Ziegander
2014-02-22, 02:52 AM
I really want to make this (http://pathfinder-fan-page.tumblr.com/post/77390112325/revolutionaryk-jbnogard-disney-princesses-as) into a d20 game. I am actually very likely to do so. I would provide specific mechanics to play any Disney princess as well as generic mechanics to create your own "heroic damsel who responds to distress."

http://th09.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2013/322/0/5/damsel_dossier_by_geryes-d6dinls.jpg

Would people be interested in playing such a game?

The "specific" class design would, probably follow a philosophy close to that of Elysia, Virtuous Noble (http://lorewardenlair.tumblr.com/post/75465158685/really-really-specific-class-design-episode-1), but I would detail a very long, open-ended chapter toward creating your own "character classes," that, while open, would result in options that were flexible to create, but in-play, no more powerful or flexible than Elysia.

Thoughts?

Vadskye
2014-02-22, 03:28 AM
Disney princesses don't really... do anything. Pocahontas is obviously a druid or ranger, and Mulan's probably a rogue/fighter multiclass. Okay, and the girl from Brave. But the rest are defined by events that happen around them, not by any particular talents, events, or even personality that they have. You can assign them to existing class archetypes if you want, like the image does. But you can't create a "Cinderella class". It's like trying to turn a 5-level prestige class into a base class, but worse.

Ziegander
2014-02-22, 03:53 AM
Disney princesses don't really... do anything. Pocahontas is obviously a druid or ranger, and Mulan's probably a rogue/fighter multiclass. Okay, and the girl from Brave. But the rest are defined by events that happen around them, not by any particular talents, events, or even personality that they have. You can assign them to existing class archetypes if you want, like the image does. But you can't create a "Cinderella class". It's like trying to turn a 5-level prestige class into a base class, but worse.

I think you're missing the point.

Admiral Squish
2014-02-22, 04:01 AM
Well, the idea's certainly cool, and I'll be peeking in on this thread from time to time. I'd love to see the classes you come up with for it, but I can't help but think that this seems more like a themed campaign than a whole little system-thing.
I mean, other than the players being all female characters, how is a game played with these ladies different than any other D&D game?

Vadskye
2014-02-22, 04:05 AM
I think you're missing the point.

It's been known to happen on occasion. But I think Admiral Squish put what I was trying to say better; this is material for a campaign, not a subsystem or class redesign. Part of the beauty of the d20 system is that you don't need to reinvent the wheel every time you want to play around with wonky character themes.

Ziegander
2014-02-22, 04:11 AM
It's been known to happen on occasion. But I think Admiral Squish put what I was trying to say better; this is material for a campaign, not a subsystem or class redesign. Part of the beauty of the d20 system is that you don't need to reinvent the wheel every time you want to play around with wonky character themes.

Feel free to disagree, but I think that's actually a strong weakness of the d20 system.

Realms of Chaos
2014-02-22, 10:51 AM
I for one would LOVE to play in this sort of game.

I for one can certainly see the need for a base class here as most characters saving others would benefit from specific skills (such as open lock or escape artist) and could certainly benefit from types of abilities that other base classes don't reliably get. A prestige class could potentially work but it would stop bar this concept from low-level games. As feat taxes are generally awful things, a base class does seem to be the best way to go about it.

With that said, princesses probably have enough differences between each other that simply creating broad menus of abilities within a single class or two may not be the best way to model these changes.

Instead, I would propose that the game goes gestalt, with each princess choosing a class to represents who they are (Pocahantas may be a druid while Ariel becomes a bard) and a second to represent who they are in Damsel Dossier.

Just restrict one side of the gestalt to a new liberator (freeing damsels from towers), champion (fighting the battles that they cannot face on their own), or Inspiration (working towards peace and idealistic resolution for everyone as they empower damsels to help themselves) class.

If you want, you could make a new "noble" or "princess" class as an option for the other side of the gestalt as well, allowing for more vague princesses to still have a place.

A template where new abilties are gained over time (like the shadow template), while a bit more odd, would also make sense for this purpose.

Vadskye
2014-02-22, 12:02 PM
Realms of Chaos, I think you are nudging towards the right idea, but full gestalt sounds unnecessarily complicated. Instead, what if we kept the existing base classes, but each princess was like a template that is added on? It would work like the UA bloodline traits. Obviously we'd ignore nonsense like LA; princesses are more powerful than "normal" characters, and that's completely fine.

Then Mulan might look something like this:

Be A Man (Ex): Mulan always treats Bluff and Disguise as class skills.

Ancestral Guardian (Ex): At 2nd level, Mulan gains a familiar named Mushu. This functions as the sorcerer class feature, except that the base creature is not an animal. <insert stat block for Mushu>

Creative Climber (Ex): At 3rd level, Mulan adds her Intelligence bonus to Climb checks.

Improved Weapon Mastery (Ex): Mulan takes no penalty to attack rolls with improvised weapons.

Fireworks (Ex): At 5th level, Mushu gains the ability to use fireworks. Once per day, Mushu can unleash a firework. <Fireworks stats - probably based on Pyrotecnics, mimicing other spells later>

At 8th level, and every three levels thereafter, Mushu may fire an additional firework per day.

Swift as a Coursing River (Su): At 7th level, Mulan gains a 10-foot bonus to her land speed.

Strength of a Raging Fire: At 9th level, Mulan gains a +2 bonus to her Strength.

Mysterious as the Dark Side of the Moon: At 11th level, Mulan is affected by a continuous nondetection effect, with a caster level equal to her character level.

I'm a little fuzzier on higher-level ideas, but what do you think?

Realms of Chaos
2014-02-22, 12:10 PM
Templates certainly are a workable idea, as I mention at the end of my last post. :smallwink:

The reason that I'm hesitant about doing "princess-specific" bloodlines and such is that even though we are originally making this for the disney princesses, it would be nice to be able to make new princesses without having to make an entirely new bloodline for each one.

I guess that I'm more looking for general rules on "damsel dossier creation" as opposed to rules that let you most accurately recreate each specific princess from a limited roster.

Vadskye
2014-02-22, 12:49 PM
Templates certainly are a workable idea, as I mention at the end of my last post. :smallwink:
Oh. Uh... yes, you did say exactly that, didn't you? I'm so creative

The reason that I'm hesitant about doing "princess-specific" bloodlines and such is that even though we are originally making this for the disney princesses, it would be nice to be able to make new princesses without having to make an entirely new bloodline for each one.

I guess that I'm more looking for general rules on "damsel dossier creation" as opposed to rules that let you most accurately recreate each specific princess from a limited roster.
If only we had some way to represent some combination of who a character is and what they choose to do...
koff koff classes and feats koff

Debihuman
2014-02-22, 02:24 PM
I really want to make this (http://pathfinder-fan-page.tumblr.com/post/77390112325/revolutionaryk-jbnogard-disney-princesses-as) into a d20 game. I am actually very likely to do so. I would provide specific mechanics to play any Disney princess as well as generic mechanics to create your own "heroic damsel who responds to distress."

Isn't that every heroic/romantic fantasy game? Blue Rose would certainly be an appropriate setting. If you want darker, throw in some Grimm. There are plenty of fairy tale 3.5 materials already published. See even my fairy godmother prestige class (and check out my Disney Maleficent too) as examples.

I believe there was a thread on Dicefreaks that converted Disney characters to 3.5. as well.

Debby