PDA

View Full Version : Warcraft RPG

GolemsVoice
2007-01-30, 02:42 PM
I have always been a fan of Blizzard's Warcraft series, and like the whole world also beyond the sheer game horizon. I consider myself a serious fan, not only a fanboi of the games.
So I thought about ordering the World of Warcraft Role Playing Game.
Has anyone ever played it and can give me a short statement? From what I heard, it's not the best of games around, but I would ignore that just because of the flair. It is absed on the DnD mechanics, but what makes it special, aside from the Warcraft-World? And finaly: Do you think it's worth buying it?

Saithis Bladewing
2007-01-30, 03:03 PM
Personally, I disliked the newest version of it (the World of WarCraft Roleplaying Game) and prefer the version that came out before it, which was just WarCraft the Roleplaying game (if I recall correctly) and came out before WoW was even released. I found that both versions were disappointing representations of the world, from my point of view. The only redeeming feature for me was one that people don't necessarily like. It was set up with tons of Prestige Classes, to the point where if you weren't playing a prestige class, you were probably wasting a lot of potential. It was interesting, but eh. I only liked playing it to just make tons of different characters recreating units and heroes from the games.

Marius
2007-01-30, 06:55 PM
I'm DMing the World of Warcraft RPG right now. I like it a lot but it has several problems. First they didn't change the magic system to a mana magic system instead they just allowed the casters to studied several spells for a day and then cast them like a sorcerer this makes magic in WoW even more unbalanced than in D&D.
The tech crafting system is cool but a little loose.
The fluff is ok but it has several mistakes too.
In general I think it's a good setting and in the boards of the game you can find a big unofficial (but made by the designers) errata topic among several fixes and house rules that many of us usually use.

Sulecrist
2007-01-30, 10:25 PM
I like it.

The spell lists are pretty tight, and it's high-magic enough that noncasters can compete with casters. It doesn't need to be played on a grid, which is good, but a lot of the rules are copy-pasted in--the editing's a trifle subpar.

All in all, with a good DM, it can be an excellent game.

Woot Spitum
2007-01-30, 10:35 PM
Run away! Don't just walk away from it, RUN! The Warcraft RPG was one of the worst decisions I ever made! They can't decide if it's D&D or Warcraft and frequently confuse the two. It's too late for me, but you can still save yourself!

Fizban
2007-01-31, 12:01 AM
Am I the only one that knows about the existance of the Warcraft Campaign Setting?

Indon
2007-01-31, 12:35 AM
I like it. It's a bit higher-power than standard D&D, though.

Fizban: Potato, potatoe.

Fizban
2007-01-31, 02:58 AM
I get the feeling it's a lot more different than potatoe, considering that it doesn't have any wacky WoW related rules. It's just a set of campaign books (that annoyingly all require each other to be very useful). The only new mechanic that's not mostly fluff is craft technological device, and that's best done by DM adjudication after formulae, just like normal magic item rules. Just like any campaign setting some things are well done and some less so, in particular the scourge just doesn't seem to work, but that's taste. I don't see why anyone would want to play a WoW specific RPG anyway, isn't there a whole freaking WoW MMORPG for that? If you want PnP then DnD+ warcraft setting is the logical choice to me.

Woot Spitum
2007-01-31, 11:27 AM
That's my biggest gripe about the Warcraft campaign setting, the way they seem to have designed it with the core book not being self-contained, and you are forced to buy nearly all the sourcebooks just to get the default content. Practically every other campaign setting I've seen gives you all you need to play the game right away:Eberron, Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, Star Wars, D20 Modern, all of them give you everything you need to start playing. Their extra sourcebooks are just that, extras. But with Warcraft, you find that many of the things in the original sourcebook are incomplete, and require additional sourcebooks to be complete.

GolemsVoice
2007-01-31, 01:58 PM
So, the WoW RPG tries to be World of Warcraft, as the video game? That's bad news. I like WoW really, but it's a video game. It has colours and pretty, half naked elves. DnD has rules, numbers, and feats. I either play WoW or RPG.
Meh.

Marius
2007-01-31, 02:21 PM
So, the WoW RPG tries to be World of Warcraft, as the video game? That's bad news. I like WoW really, but it's a video game. It has colours and pretty, half naked elves. DnD has rules, numbers, and feats. I either play WoW or RPG.
Meh.

Not really it adaps the classes to look more like the classes in the MMORPG but all that really changes is the setting, rules wise is almost the same as D&D

Joran
2007-01-31, 02:33 PM
Never played it, but I own the book.

I thought it was a fascinating read, but they definitely should have reworked the magic system into mana based system.

I also stated a Tauren rogue that was dual-wielding totems...

Marius
2007-01-31, 02:42 PM
Never played it, but I own the book.

I thought it was a fascinating read, but they definitely should have reworked the magic system into mana based system.

I also stated a Tauren rogue that was dual-wielding totems...

It's not a good build, rogues are not even proficient with Tauren totems (they are martial weapons to taurens so you'll still need a level in tauren or in any class that grants martial weapons) Plus you'll need monkey grip, TWF and you'll still have a -6/-6 on your attacks (-4/-4 for TWF since your off hand is not light and -2/-2 for using monkey grip)

Ebonwoulfe
2007-01-31, 03:46 PM
Yes indeed, but he would still be dual wielding totems.

Arlanthe
2007-01-31, 03:47 PM
My friend DMed a Campaign on the original "Warcraft" setting (not the altered "World of Warcraft" setting that came later). Most certainly the PnP Warcraft setting came before the game, because it turned out that we ran that campaign for two years. I rather liked it. It had a very Warcraft feel to it (as it should I suppose) and we had fun wth the Gnomes and Dwarfs and all that business. I played a Night Elf Rogue with the "Infiltrator" prestige class, and had an absurd diplomacy score.

The funny thing is, we played in what would later be called "the Barrens" and a central town was Ratchet. Indeed, we travelled the Gold Road long before WoW came out, and I must say my version in my head was nothing like the PnP.