PDA

View Full Version : Halfling mount for frostburn

deathwolf669
2014-02-22, 07:49 AM
Hey guys my other half is looking for a mount for her halfling, the champaign is set in frostburn.

I was thinking the glyptodon for its ac but it puts her at was hight for most opponents, where the Megaloceros puts her above most combatants but I can see its antlers getting in the way of dungeoning.

Can anyone suggest something else, she doesn't want a woolly mammy I with collar of shrinkage. I suggested it before :)

She is a halfling begiler who uses a crossbow and her magic, with a bit of cleric domain thrown on top.

Edit: also anyone know where the prices for them would be or can my Druid tame them for her at 0 cost?

RustyArmor
2014-02-22, 07:53 AM
Get a walrus and wand of flying.

A Tad Insane
2014-02-22, 08:01 AM
Get a walrus and wand of flying.

Can... can I sig this? You're a genius.

Arael666
2014-02-22, 08:13 AM
A St. Bernard would look cool (but it's just fluf, since the mecaninc would be of a riding dog). She can even name him beethoven

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/13358/13358-h/images/4-fig1.png

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqbky3vSNk1qgsxiyo1_500.jpg

Drachasor
2014-02-22, 08:24 AM
Can anyone suggest something else, she doesn't want a woolly mammy I with collar of shrinkage. I suggested it before :)

You should have suggested one with a Cloak of Arachnida. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#cloakofArachnida) And it's awakened. And a ninja.

Though in all honestly, who wouldn't want an elephant?

Anyone else think it is odd that trunks aren't statted in any way?

JDL
2014-02-22, 08:27 AM
Let's start with the basics.

As a mount, you want a trainable animal. Aside from core, the options presented from Frostburn are:

Glyptodon (Large Animal, CR 5)
Megaloceros (Large Animal, CR 4)
Woolly Mammoth (Huge Animal, CR 9)
Giant Raven (Large Magical Beast, CR 2)
Tlalusk (Huge Magical Beast, CR 11)

There's also of course the option of taming and training an animal using the Handle Animal skill. If we extend to the remaining selection we have a few more options including Caribou.

There's a few interesting templates too. The Ice Beast template changes the creature to a Construct. Applying this to whatever normal mount you desire means it's a very hardy creature, capable of travelling at forced march without penalty indefinitely. Note it gains vulnerability to fire however, so watch those fireballs. Also it loses any fly speed of the original creature, so don't apply if you want a flying mount. In addition, as a construct it can't be taught tricks using Handle Animal, so won't qualify for a war trained mount.

Note that the fast mount/dismount requires one size difference between the rider and mount, so as a small creature your partner's halfling character will need to choose a medium creature or spend a move action to mount or dismount their chosen creature.

If you're looking for a creature that will aid in combat as well as serve as a mount, I'd suggest the biggest CR your DM will allow. If you're looking for utility, as a ranged character a flying mount will give you good control over where you are in battle, so the Giant Raven is a solid, if squishy choice if you have no other constant source of flight. If you're just looking for a decent pack animal, the Ice Beast template will serve extremely well.

deathwolf669
2014-02-22, 08:37 AM
RustyArmor> she loves this idea, but I do not think it will go down well.

JDL> She just needs something to keep her alive and be a bigger distraction instead of something aiming to eat her.

Drachasor
2014-02-22, 08:43 AM
How about a Riding Dog refluffed as a Dire Rabbit?

Is she spending any feats or anything to make it more powerful? Wild Companion or Improved Familiar or anything?

Edit: Modifying a Dire Badger might be better for a burrow speed. Though you'd need to drop the claw attacks, rage, and up the speed to 50ft, imho.

Edit2: Hmm, or maybe refluffing/modding something into a Dire Winter Platypus.

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-02-22, 08:43 AM
Megatherium from Fiend Folio.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-02-22, 08:52 AM
Take Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) and you get your animal for free.

A halfling can use a medium size mount, so pick something from the Druid list in Frostburn on page 44, such as a Black Bear or Snow Leopard or Wolverine. Or just have him ride the Druid's animal companion.

deathwolf669
2014-02-22, 09:58 AM
Tarlek Flamehai> Not allowed to use the FF but giant sloths are epic.

Biffoniacus_Furiou> I might be able to get her to take wild cohort but I think she has most of her feats planned out.