PDA

View Full Version : Level 1 Wild Shape homebrew concerns

Grod_The_Giant
2014-02-22, 10:39 AM
I've been working on a (revision of a) class over in the homebrew section-- the Beastman (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=17051960). His main schtick is wildshaping-- he gets it going from level 1, at-will. The main balancing factor, besides the usual HD limits, is the number of forms he knows. He knows all the normal (non-dire or dinosaur) animals in the MM1, but beyond that only 1 form/level.

I also had originally renamed his ability "Beast Shape" to shut him out from stuff like Master of Many Forms, with only a quick note about magic items. Lately, however, I've been wondering if that was an overreaction. Between the two limits-- and I would include text to make sure that they still apply-- how broken would it be if he went into MoMF at 2nd level, or took Aberration Wild Shape at 1st level?

Sian
2014-02-22, 10:41 AM
considered looking at shapeshifting ACF in Players Handbook II?

Grod_The_Giant
2014-02-22, 10:59 AM
considered looking at shapeshifting ACF in Players Handbook II?
Looks good on the Druid, but it's way too boring to be a class in and of itself.

Nihilarian
2014-02-22, 11:33 AM
Shapeshifting's pretty bad.

As far as the MoMF goes, consider giving him "Beast Shape", and then at level 5 or so upgrade it to Wild Shape, or put text somewhere that says "beginning at 5th level, Beast Shape counts as Wild Shape for the purpose of feat/PRC prerequisites."

Alternatively, just work the MoMF into the class so they don't have to take the PrC.

Snowbluff
2014-02-22, 11:49 AM
It's only ever as strong as a creature of your HD. It's not that bad unless you have access to Ex or Su.