PDA

View Full Version : The Utility of a Composite Bow +0

RCJak44
2014-02-22, 11:14 AM
My gaming group is starting up a Pathfinder game shortly, and I decided to pick up a bow for my character. I looked at the composite longbow at 100GP as opposed to the standard at 75 GP.

Reading the description for both, I understand the function for a composite longbow, and will eventually want to make use of my strength modifier, but at the moment (character creation), I just can't afford the increase in cost associated with grabbing that +1.

So as far as I can tell, there is seemingly no point to a composite longbow +0, if you could call it that? 25 GP nets a marginal increase in range (10ft.), so why would anyone ever pick up a composite longbow +0, why does this item exist as written if it is only a hair's different from its standard incarnation? I'm certain I must be missing something if the prices are so different between one and the other.

Eldariel
2014-02-22, 11:17 AM
It's mostly the range. That and Composite Longbows can be used mounted while normal Longbows can't.

hymer
2014-02-22, 11:17 AM
If PF is like 3.5 in this regard, you can use a composite longbow while mounted, but not a standard longbow. That said, prices don't always make a lot of sense.

Edit: Sniper'ed.

nyjastul69
2014-02-22, 11:22 AM
Composite longbows can be used while mounted, unlike regular longbows.

Edit: Yikes! Ninja'd big time. I guess that's what I get for leaving the window open while checking the PFSRD. :smallredface: