PDA

View Full Version : Which Paragon Path for my human rageblood barbarian?

SuperCracker
2014-02-22, 01:21 PM
Hello fellow forum-goers. I'm fairly new to 4th Edition, and I've found myself in a tabletop game where I'm playing a human barbarian.

I've read the Appetite for Destruction Barbarian Handbook, and I've applied most of his suggestions to the build.

Starting stats are Str 18, Con 14, Dex 14, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 10.

I plan to mostly raise Dex up for AC/reflex purposes, as well as raise Con up to 17 ultimately (if we go the full 30). Strength will be boosted every chance I get.

He wields a fullblade and will specialize in charging and beating people up.

Now, where I am having trouble making a decision is which Paragon Path to take at 11. My current choices are Kensei (because I'll be MC fighter anyway), Dreadnought (leaning against that, since we have a fighter and a swordmage to really defend), or Adroit Explorer.

Mostly between Kensei and Adroit Explorer.

Kensei because +1 accuracy, +4 damage is great, especially since barbarians have less accuracy features than other strikers.

Adroit Explorer because the features are great. Attack bonus when bloodied, eventually 2 action points (!!!), and the 11 power I can use to grab another use of Curtain of Steel.

Both are very tempting. Adroit Explorer has something at every rank. Kensei has a very not-great encounter power, but the accuracy/damage is great.

So, Giant in the Playground... what should I do?

Tegu8788
2014-02-22, 01:46 PM
What level are you? Because unlike, previous editions, building way into the future isn't always useful. And if you are still fresh, you may find differences between what you read and how it plays. It may help you to play a bit longer, then decide on your path as you get closer.

GPuzzle
2014-02-22, 01:48 PM
Whoa - excellent Barbarian there. Also, nice choice on the Barbarian Handbook.

Kensei buffs up your DPR, Dreadnought improves your toughness (but off-tank Striker+2 Defenders is already ridiculously tough) and Adroit Explorer is the all-rounder. Choose what you prefer. Pit Fighter's also pretty good (sweet, sweet +1 AC bonus...).

SuperCracker
2014-02-22, 02:01 PM
What level are you? Because unlike, previous editions, building way into the future isn't always useful. And if you are still fresh, you may find differences between what you read and how it plays. It may help you to play a bit longer, then decide on your path as you get closer.

Only level 2, but I like to plan ahead. We have solid encounters. Our group comprised of me, a warlord (doesn't always show up), a bard, a two weapon fighter, sword burst spamming shielding swordmage, and a summon wizard.

I feel that it skews our party defensively. So I need to crank up some offense.

RedMage125
2014-02-22, 02:39 PM
I'd say Adroit Explorer. Barbarian Striker effect is rolled into their powers (unlie most other strikers who have damage mechanics like Hunter's Quarry, Sneak Attack, or whatever). So the ability to refresh your powers in combat is amazing.

That said, of the Barbarian PPs, Bear Warrior is worth a look, too. I played a Gnoll Rageblood to 13, and really enjoyed the benefits of that PP.

But between what you're looking at, I'd go for Adroit Explorer. Especially since you're the only Striker.

Nightgaun7
2014-02-23, 02:24 PM
Of those options, Adroit Explorer. I have a charger barbarian in Paragon and in my experience you should very rarely miss, especially with two leaders and a controller. Bear Warrior is too defensively-oriented for your party.

SuperCracker
2014-02-23, 03:14 PM
With Kensei, I can use reserve maneuver to get rid of the sub part encounter power. The +4 damage at 16 seems to me like it would really add up during an encounter.

Can I have an example or an explanation of how Adroit Explorer would compare, damage wise? I'm assuming more uses of things like Storm of Blades.

Yakk
2014-02-24, 01:50 PM
+1 action point (+1 attack/day)
daily that is another +1 attack/day (when bloodied)
Encounter power that is +1 attack/day

Resist 10->20 when spending action points (almost every encounter)

+5 to hit when a foe bloodies you.

+1 hit/+4 damage might beat out adroit by end epic if your powers are all ridiculous. But with kensai, you need to find 4 ridiculous powers with one under 11 and spend a feat -- with adroit, you need 1 ridiculous under 13 and 2 above, or 4 ridiculous powers with one 13 or under. As that strikeback power is one of the best barbarian powers... (off-turn, so doesn't bother your charge-cheese, extra attack, not a free action so does not overlap with rampage).

MC fighter vs MC avenger is a question. Double rolling on a 19-20 crit range with 4 attacks and a bonus attack+encounter attack power recharge on a crit is a rather tasty opening at epic. But MC fighter/encounter power swap for a 3x attack with your gouge that recharges on AP expenditure (martial mastery feat) is also really good. Can't do both. (My favorite avenger does: Strnotavenger).

mathewt
2014-02-24, 03:50 PM
I don't have the books (or DDI) in front of me, but when I played a rageblood barbarian, I had a lot fun using the Nocturnal PP (from Heroes of Shadow I think). Some of it was just fun fluff (summoning shadow wolves), but I remember there being a power that let you phase while charging, which was pretty useful.