PDA

View Full Version : making sure i understand haste

questionmark693
2014-02-22, 05:48 PM
So when I cast haste, I must be within close range. I must then remain in close range to keep it active. Must the targets remain within thirty feet of each other for it to remain on them?

Samalpetey
2014-02-22, 05:50 PM
No. The targets only need to be within 30 ft of each other when the spell is cast, afterwards they can move as they please

questionmark693
2014-02-24, 07:23 PM
But they do need to stay within close (25 + 5/2 levels) range of the caster, right?

Amphetryon
2014-02-24, 07:28 PM
But they do need to stay within close (25 + 5/2 levels) range of the caster, right?

I know of no such limitation on the spell.

nyjastul69
2014-02-24, 07:36 PM

No. Mass Fly, from CA, is an example of a multi-targeted spell that has language indicating the necessity for maintaining a certain distance to maintain the effect. Haste doesn't contain any such language.

Edit: Careful Playgrounders, ninjas are around.

questionmark693
2014-02-25, 06:19 PM
Don't spells only effect things within the 'range' field? An example being, I cast fireball as centered on the farthest point I can cast it, the far half of the spell won't exist, because it would be out of range. Do I totally not understand that?

Bovine Colonel
2014-02-25, 06:22 PM
Don't spells only effect things within the 'range' field? An example being, I cast fireball as centered on the farthest point I can cast it, the far half of the spell won't exist, because it would be out of range. Do I totally not understand that?

Spells can only be cast on things within the range field. Fireball hits once and disappears so there's no distinction there.

questionmark693
2014-02-25, 06:25 PM
Ah, ok. Got it, thanks so much!

MesiDoomstalker
2014-02-25, 06:29 PM

Your simply confusing terminology. Yes, if you cast a fireball centered on the extreme edge of its Range, only the part of the Area of Effect will be made, the part that is within the range hemisphere.

Spells check Range when the spell is cast. Only when it is cast, unless the spell says otherwise. Your targets must be withing Close Range when the spell is cast. They can go anywhere they please, including other Planes, and the spell will last till its duration is up or someone Dispels it. Thats why the Instantaneous Fireball has a truncated AoE at extreme range, but Haste and other buffs like it persist beyond. If the spell checked Range at all times, Touch range spells be effectively useless.