PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Epic spells, multiple/other energy types

Zweisteine
2014-02-22, 08:16 PM
When developing an epic spell with the Energy seed, what if you want multiple types of energy damage, or nontraditional types?

Examples:
electricity and sonic damage
frostburn damage, or other types of damage introduced in various supplements, such as vile or hellfire (which might be a special case)
positive or negative energy damage (restricted to divine casters, of course)
force damage
desiccation damage (might require a different seed)
slashing, piercing, and bludgeoning damage (this might belong under another seed, but I suspect it might belong under an identical, but differently-named, evocation seed, or an identical, differently named conjuration seed, if it creates something like a crystal explosion, like some psionic powers)*

Would you have to apply the seed twice to deal both types of damage?
What if (using the bolt option), you want to split the damage equally (5d6/5d6)? (I assume that might be either an ad hoc mitigating factor to reduce damage, if you have to apply the seed twice)?
Would you need separate seeds for some of these?

*As a sub-question, what if a spell creates an effect that deals weapon-type damage (slashing, etc)? How would that work, and what seed would it use in an epic spell?

EDIT:
And if you are using multiple seeds (such as Destroy and Energy), would you only apply area-changing factors once, or would you have to do it for each seed providing damage? (and the same question regarding increasing saves on multiple-seed spells)

Zweisteine
2014-02-23, 12:06 PM
Any answers?

drack
2014-02-23, 12:23 PM
Firstly, after just 4 hours you're already impatiently bumping the thread? :smallconfused: give it time mate.

For two types I believe you'd have to apply it twice, and normally it cannot do unconventional damage types. That said a GM can always change these things.

for two seeds you only change area and such once, though I think you take the shorter base range/area of the two seeds. Though epic spells get funky, and I don't think all the examples take the lower of the two...

Since the damage is simultaneous, DR and such would only apply once.

Weapon damage: dunno.

Vrock_Summoner
2014-02-23, 02:13 PM
It hasn't been 4 hours, "mate", there were 16 hours between his first post and the followup.

EDIT: I don't think there IS an Epic seed for the weapon damage. As for the energies, see above post.

drack
2014-02-23, 02:14 PM
ah, whoops. :smallbiggrin:

Zweisteine
2014-02-23, 02:15 PM
Thank you!

And, yeah, that's 16 hours, not 4.