PDA

View Full Version : Guessing The "all" in Durkon's prophecy can refer to a lot of things

CaDzilla
2014-02-22, 09:20 PM
It can refer to the entire population of the planet, all dwarves, the churches of Thor and Odin, or just the dead high priests of Odin and Thor (through converting their corpses into Hel worshippers.

Ninja
2014-02-22, 09:26 PM
OK then. ignore this

Keltest
2014-02-22, 09:28 PM
All of us who don't own Origin are going to have to take your word for it I guess.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-02-22, 09:30 PM
Death and destruction can also refer to many things. Heck, "returns" can mean many things, depending on what he is returning to. Like many prophecies, this one can go many ways and will probably not be guessed at entirely before it is fulfilled.

NihhusHuotAliro
2014-02-22, 10:11 PM
When next he returns.

So, he can return safely once, but the next time bings death and destruction?

Is it like "next time I hit you again"?

Chantelune
2014-02-23, 10:39 AM
And for what we know, the OotS might come across two artifacts on their way back, one named Death and the other Destruction, thus bringing Death and Destruction when Durkon comes back home with the order. :smallbiggrin:

DeliaP
2014-02-23, 11:10 AM
If the high priests of Odin and Thor had been as imaginative as the forums, they would have sent Durkon out to purchase two pet hamsters, to be brought back as community mascots, and called them..... well, you can figure out the rest!

Mad Humanist
2014-02-23, 11:24 AM
If the high priests of Odin and Thor had been as imaginative as the forums, they would have sent Durkon out to purchase two pet hamsters, to be brought back as community mascots, and called them..... well, you can figure out the rest!

It's quotes like this that make me wish the forum upgrade gives us a retweet button.

DeliaP
2014-02-23, 04:51 PM
It can refer to the entire population of the planet, all dwarves, the churches of Thor and Odin, or just the dead high priests of Odin and Thor (through converting their corpses into Hel worshippers.

A clarification needed....

We found out that the High Priest of Thor had passed away (and apparently not passed on any information about Durkon's mission/banishment to the rest of the priesthood, (otOotPCs spoiler: apart from one priest he told at the time?) )

But have we heard any such thing about the High Priest of Odin?
Who was the originator of the prophecy, but was never actually seen: we heard about his visit and message indirectly from the High Priest of Thor.

In fact, are we even sure that "When Durkon next returns home, he will bring death and destruction to us all" was the exact prophecy spoken by the High Priest of Odin, maybe the High Priest of Thor changed the phrasing?? They had been drinking, after all!

ChowGuy
2014-02-23, 06:36 PM
Or it could just mean bringing a new church of the Death and Destruction domains to the people of the North. And does that mean the existing high priests would welcome it as an equal, or resist it as an incursion?

That's the thing about divine prophecy. Every body [i[knows[/i] Cassandra was ordained to speak the truth but not be believed, so when she did so was it because the gods wanted her to warn the Trojans, or because they wanted them to disbelieve her and let their Greek followers into the city?

King of Nowhere
2014-02-23, 07:23 PM
The most benign interpretation of that prophecy was that durkula got death and destruction as his new spell domains following vampirization, and he will bring those, without causing any harm.
Seeing him as high priest of hel, however, tend to give a much darker cast to the prophecy

ChowGuy
2014-02-23, 07:54 PM
Hel is feuding with Thor, and wants to see him brought down a notch, but the both of them (and Loki - whose church we know exists and is by the way her father in the original mythos) are subordinate to Odin the originator of the prophecy, who has reasons of his own to guard against any of them getting popular enough to usurp him.

As a joke I posted elsewhere that I'm waiting for Durkula to resurrect Tsukiko and have her and Hilgya join him as "Hel's Belles" which is epileptic but not such a WAG as to be impossible.

veti
2014-02-23, 10:40 PM
As a joke I posted elsewhere that I'm waiting for Durkula to resurrect Tsukiko and have her and Hilgya join him as "Hel's Belles" which is epileptic but not such a WAG as to be impossible.

I'm sorry to point out, but - Redcloak went to some lengths to ensure that 'resurrecting Tsukiko' was well beyond his abilities, and he's more powerful than Durkon, so... it probably is impossible, by rules at least.

Gift Jeraff
2014-02-23, 10:43 PM
I still want Tsukiko to return as a ghost who now hates both the living and the undead and wants constructs to take over.