PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder New Player Race: Flumphs!

QuackParker
2014-02-23, 01:33 AM
I spent some time adapting the flumph aberration monster into a playable race. Let me know what you think.

Flumph Player Race

http://i.imgur.com/f1lgBJd.jpg?2

Flumphs are not natives of this plane, but rather come from an exotic corner of the multiverse closely related to dreams. Flumphs have a difficult time relating to humanoid races due to their bizarre appearance, but are generally good natured and helpful to others. Their history is mired in mystery and suffering on their homeworld and they only recently arrived in our plane. As newcomers, they aim to please whenever possible or else keep out of sight in hostile settlements.

Physical Description: This pale, jellyfish-like creature floats gently in the air, two long eyestalks extending from either side of its puckered mouth.

Society: Flumphs lived under oppression on their previous plane, but often tend toward democratic societies when they have the opportunity to live autonomously of other rulers. More often than not, however, flumphs keep low profiles as productive citizens under whatever government they live under. Flumphs rarely engage in humanoid religious systems, but often adhere to the local laws and faith traditions of the societies to which they belong in order to remain welcome. Flumphs prefer to settle near water sources where their larvae can swim and develop.

Relations: Flumphs were the enemies of the Akata on their home plane, but hold little animosity toward the races of our own. Alas, flumphs are often viewed with suspicion and fear by those unfamiliar with them.

Male Names: Flurrrbyl, Fluttie, Flemphit, Flistle, Florgrnthal, Flanders, Flumphrey

Female Names: Florbetty, Flenessa, Flunetta, Flumphissa, Flannie, Flella

Flumph Racial Traits

+4 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma, -4 Strength: Flumphs are dexterous, wise, but not exceedingly personable. Their appearance is frightening to some.

Small: Flumphs are Small creatures and gain a +1 size bonus to their AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –1 penalty to their Combat Maneuver Bonus and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks.

Very Slow Land Speed: Flumphs have a base speed of 5ft

Flight: Flumphs can fly 20ft at perfect maneuverability. Flumphs can hover and therefore have no need to land under normal circumstances.

Darkvision: Flumphs have darkvision up to 60ft.

Easily Recognized: Flumphs have an extremely unique appearance and receive a -8 to disguise checks to appear as another race.

Unusual Body Shape: Flumphs possess a rather unique body structure and thus have a difficulty wearing normal humanoid clothes and armor. A flumph can only wear armor or clothing suited for its special needs. Such attire may be purchased or refitted at 1.5 times the base item cost.

Flumph Stinger (Ex): Flumphs possess harmful spikes on their underbelly. These spikes function as a stinger which deals 1d4 piercing damage as a natural attack.

Tentacle Balance: Flumphs can use their extra tentacles to help balance themselves and are granted a +4 racial bonus to their CMD.

Nimble Attacks: Flumphs gain Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat.

Keen Senses: Flumphs receive a +2 racial bonus on Perception skill checks.

Acidic Oozing(Ex): 3 / per day, as a standard action a flumph can secrete an acidic ooze onto a single melee weapon or single projectile adjacent to or held by the flumph. This ooze coating deals an additional 1d4 points of acid damage. This acid effect remains on the melee weapon or projectile until it successfully hits its target. The flumph may apply acid to multiple weapons, but the effect does not stack with its own acidic effects.

Languages: Flumphs begin play speaking Common, Flumph, and Aklo. Flumphs with high Intelligence scores can choose from any other language.

Alternate Flumph Racial Traits

Wise Diplomat: This Flumph possesses insight into the art of woo. He uses his Wisdom modifier instead of his Charisma when calculating Diplomacy, Bluff, and Intimidate checks. This trait replaces Tentacle Balance.

Stench Spray (Ex): 1 / per day, as a standard action a flumph can spray a chemical stench from the pores on its body in a 20 ft line. This spray functions like the stench universal monster ability, except it only affects creatures struck by the spray, which must make a DC 10 + ½ character level + flumph's Con mod Fortitude save or be sickened for 5 rounds. The save DC is Constitution-based. Alternatively, the flumph can concentrate the spray on a single target within 5 feet. To use this version of its stench spray, the flumph must succeed at a ranged touch attack. If the target is hit, it must make a DC 10 + ½ character level Fortitude save or become nauseated for 5 rounds; otherwise, it is sickened for 5 rounds. The odor from this spray lingers in the area and on all creatures struck for 1d4 hours, and can be detected at a range of 100 feet (creatures with the scent ability can smell it at double this range). This ability replaces Acidic Oozing.

Silent Flumph: Some flumphs hover extra silently and thus gain an additional +2 racial bonus on stealth checks. This ability replaces Keen Senses.

Flumph Items

Flumph Reach Knife: Crafted for their personal use in the farthest reaches of the multiverse, flumphs have developed a highly adaptable weapon. The Flumph Reach Knife can be altered by a flumph as a standard action into either a dagger or longspear suited for its size. On their homeworld, such an item would cost no more than a normal longspear. On other planes, however, such a weapon has a base cost of 300 GP.

Flumph Racial Feats

Flumph Quickened Flight:
Prerequisites: Flumph, Flight, Dex 14
Benefit: A flumph’s flight speed increases to 30 ft with perfect maneuverability.

Flumph Swift Flight:
Prerequisites: Flumph, Flight, Flumph Quickened Flight, Dex 23
Benefit: A flumph’s fly speed increases to 40 ft with perfect maneuverability.

Flumph Acid Attack:
Prerequisites: Flumph, Flumph Stinger, Acidic Oozing, base attack + 4
Benefit: A flumph’s natural attacks deal an extra d4 acid damage.
Flumph Tentacle Attack
Prerequisites: Flumph
Benefit: The flumph gains use of one extra natural tentacle attack. This attack deals 1D4 damage.
Special: You can gain this feat up to three times. If this feat allows you to qualify for Multiattack or Improved Natural Attack, you may take these feats.
Note: Weapon Finesse applies to natural attacks.

Flumph Tentacle Tangle
What a flumph lacks for in size, it makes up for in tentacles.
Prerequisites: Flumph, Flumph Tentacle Attack
Benefit: The flumph gains the use of its tentacles to assist in grapples against an opponent. The flumph receives a +2 bonus to CMB during grapple checks for each time it has taken Flumph Tentacle Attack.

Flumph Grab
Prerequisites: Flumph Tentacle Attack (2x +), Flumph Tentacle Tangle
Benefits: You gain the use of the Flumph Grab monster ability:
Flumph Grab (Ex) If a flumph with this special attack hits with its tentacle attack it deals normal damage and attempts to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. A flumph with this ability may do so against a creature of medium size or smaller. The flumph has the option to conduct the grapple normally, or simply use the part of its body it used in the grab to hold the opponent. If it chooses to do the latter, it takes a –20 penalty on its CMB check to make and maintain the grapple, but does not gain the grappled condition itself. A successful hold does not deal any extra damage unless the flumph also has the constrict special attack.

Flumph Advanced Eldritch Ability:
Prerequisites: Flumph Tentacle Attack (2x +), Flumph Tentacle Tangle, Flumph Grab
Benefits: You gain use of one of the following modified monster abilities:
Constrict (Ex) A flumph with this special attack can crush an opponent, dealing bludgeoning damage, when it makes a successful grapple check (in addition to any other effects caused by a successful check, including additional damage). The amount of damage dealt is equal to the flumph’s natural attack damage, usually 1D4.
Rend (Ex) If it hits with two or more tentacle attacks in 1 round, a flumph with the rend special attack can cause tremendous damage by latching onto the opponent's body and tearing flesh. This attack deals an additional amount of damage, but no more than once per round. The additional damage is equal to the damage caused by one of the attacks plus 1-1/2 the flumph's Strength bonus.
Strangle (Ex) An opponent grappled by the flumph cannot speak or cast spells with verbal components.
Special: This feat may be taken more than once, in which case it grants a different ability. If applicable, these abilities may work together in concert, such as constrict (ex) and strangle (ex)

Flumph Agile Tentacles:
Prerequisites: Flumph Tentacle Attack (2x +), Flumph Tentacle Tangle, Flumph Grab
Benefits: The flumph’s natural attacks act as though they have the Agile weapon enchantment.

Flumph Tentacle Master:
Prerequisites: Flumph Tentacle Attack (3x), Flumph Tentacle Tangle, Flumph Grab, Flumph Advanced Eldritch Ability, Flumph Agile Tentacles
Benefits: The flumph gains use of a fourth tentacle as a natural attack and all of their tentacle attacks are treated as being one size category larger for calculating damage dice. The tentacle attack thus then deals 1D6 instead of 1D4. This feat also grants the flumph an additional +2 to grapple checks. Note: If you already have Improved Natural Attack, calculate the damage dice as an additional size category higher, most likely 1d8.

Flumph Favored Class Bonuses

Alchemist: + 1/5 to acid based extracts, 1 level lower than maximum extract level.

Cleric:Select one domain power granted at 1st level that is normally usable for a number of times per day equal to 3 + the cleric's Wisdom modifier. The cleric adds 1/2 to the number of uses per day of that domain power.

Monk: Add a +1/4 bonus on combat maneuver checks made to grapple or trip.

Rogue: + ¼ bonus to stealth and ¼ bonus to feints.

Sorcerer: Add +1/2 to the sorcerer's caster level when determining the range of any spells with the acid descriptor.

Wizard: Add one spell from the wizard spell list to wizard's spellbook. The spell must be at or below the highest level he can cast and be of the conjuration (calling) subschool or have the acid descriptor.

QuackParker
2014-02-23, 03:06 PM
Addition:
Adventurers: Flumphs find themselves ill at ease in humanoid settlements and thus are eager to seek out adventure. Flumphs are sought after party members for their unique skill sets. Their ability to fly, incredible dexterity, and acidic attacks make them prime candidates for the role of adventurer.

Debihuman
2014-02-24, 10:16 AM
Not sure what the Race Point Cost of these would be. See here: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/creating-new-races

Debby

QuackParker
2014-02-24, 02:42 PM
Debihuman,

Since a couple of its racial traits are purely adaptations of flumph monster traits and thus don't have exact equivilants in the race builder, it is difficult to assign it an exact number of Race Points. That said, in all reality it would fall somewhere between dwarf and svirfneblin in comparitive cost.

QuackParker
2014-02-27, 11:44 PM
Flumph it up

dragonjek
2014-02-28, 01:31 PM
Have you read "Misfit Monsters Redeemed"?

There's a quite a lot about Pathfinder Flumphs you haven't touched at all. There's a lot there that would influence Flumph feats and items, and you don't have favored class bonuses for the Paladin, Ranger, or Bard that the Flumphs tend towards.

Also, you have the Flumph Sprinter give up flight to have a better speed on the ground... but with just a single feat, a Flumph can take get that same speed while retaining flight and perfect maneuverability. The trade between the two isn't equal at all. Maybe you could have some feats catering towards Flumph alternate racial traits?

sktarq
2014-02-28, 01:35 PM
as someone who played a flumph back in 2e (before there were rules for this sort of thing) I highly approve and wish this existed from the beginning of the game....they are so much fun.

QuackParker
2014-02-28, 03:16 PM
dragonjek,

I can't much difference its abilities should have after reading Misfit Monsters. Few elements of its extraplanar star hopping have survived into my homebrew simply because it is relevant to my settings. I may further evaluate some of its feats and items though and keep expanding those options, along with maybe even some class archetypes.

QuackParker
2014-03-02, 01:14 AM
dragonjek,

You will be pleased I am working on some new racial archetypes and and adjustments after doing more reading through Misfit Monsters.

Ziegander
2014-03-02, 06:02 AM
No tentacle attacks?

QuackParker
2014-03-02, 06:11 AM
No tentacle attacks?

Having a hard time incorporating them in a way that doesn't over power. Maybe as an alternate trait to replace acid?

Codex
2014-03-11, 10:01 PM
Maybe you should call them Fluhmphs. The extra H is for HAMAZING! Sorry about Kid Icarus Uprising joke. I really do like what you've done here, since Flumphs have always been among my favorites, if not for seriousness than goofiness. I actually had a Flumph with PC class levels in one of my old campaigns, he was a Paladin. It was a parody of the start of No Cure For Paladin Blues, and I figured, what could make Miko goofier than having her be a floating Jellyfish? Fortunatly, none of the party members were attracted to him.

QuackParker
2014-04-19, 06:32 PM
Maybe you should call them Fluhmphs. The extra H is for HAMAZING! Sorry about Kid Icarus Uprising joke. I really do like what you've done here, since Flumphs have always been among my favorites, if not for seriousness than goofiness. I actually had a Flumph with PC class levels in one of my old campaigns, he was a Paladin. It was a parody of the start of No Cure For Paladin Blues, and I figured, what could make Miko goofier than having her be a floating Jellyfish? Fortunatly, none of the party members were attracted to him.

I do always enjoy extra letters. Thanks for the positive feedback!

QuackParker
2014-06-18, 04:29 AM
Ok everyone, some of you were disappointed that my flumph race did not particularly utilize its tentacles. So, I am play testing some new feats all centered around potential uses for its tentacles. Also, I am trying to work on a prestige class for either rogue, monk, or fighter called the Flumph Grappler, so any ideas there would be helpful. The flumph race in all its glory is at the beginning of this thread. Here are the new feats:

Flumph Tentacle Attack
Prerequisites: Flumph
Benefit: The flumph gains use of one extra natural tentacle attack. This attack deals 1D4 damage.
Special: You can gain this feat up to three times. If this feat allows you to qualify for Multiattack or Improved Natural Attack, you may take these feats.
Note: Weapon Finesse applies to natural attacks.

Flumph Tentacle Tangle
What a flumph lacks for in size, it makes up for in tentacles.
Prerequisites: Flumph, Flumph Tentacle Attack
Benefit: The flumph gains the use of its tentacles to assist in grapples against an opponent. The flumph receives a +2 bonus to CMB during grapple checks for each time it has taken Flumph Tentacle Attack.

Flumph Grab
Prerequisites: Flumph Tentacle Attack (2x +), Flumph Tentacle Tangle
Benefits: You gain the use of the Flumph Grab monster ability:
Flumph Grab (Ex) If a flumph with this special attack hits with its tentacle attack it deals normal damage and attempts to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. A flumph with this ability may do so against a creature of medium size or smaller. The flumph has the option to conduct the grapple normally, or simply use the part of its body it used in the grab to hold the opponent. If it chooses to do the latter, it takes a –20 penalty on its CMB check to make and maintain the grapple, but does not gain the grappled condition itself. A successful hold does not deal any extra damage unless the flumph also has the constrict special attack.

Flumph Advanced Eldritch Ability:
Benefits: You gain use of one of the following modified monster abilities:
Constrict (Ex) A flumph with this special attack can crush an opponent, dealing bludgeoning damage, when it makes a successful grapple check (in addition to any other effects caused by a successful check, including additional damage). The amount of damage dealt is equal to the flumph’s natural attack damage, usually 1D4.
Rend (Ex) If it hits with two or more tentacle attacks in 1 round, a flumph with the rend special attack can cause tremendous damage by latching onto the opponent's body and tearing flesh. This attack deals an additional amount of damage, but no more than once per round. The additional damage is equal to the damage caused by one of the attacks plus 1-1/2 the flumph's Strength bonus.
Strangle (Ex) An opponent grappled by the flumph cannot speak or cast spells with verbal components.
Special: This feat may be taken more than once, in which case it grants a different ability. If applicable, these abilities may work together in concert, such as constrict (ex) and strangle (ex)

Flumph Agile Tentacles:
Benefits: The flumph’s natural attacks act as though they have the Agile weapon enchantment.

Flumph Tentacle Master:
Flumph Tentacle Master:
Prerequisites: Flumph Tentacle Attack (3x), Flumph Tentacle Tangle, Flumph Grab, Flumph Advanced Eldritch Ability, Flumph Agile Tentacles
Benefits: The flumph gains use of a fourth tentacle as a natural attack and all of their tentacle attacks are treated as being one size category larger for calculating damage dice. The tentacle attack thus then deals 1D6 instead of 1D4. This feat also grants the flumph an additional +2 to grapple checks. Note: If you already have Improved Natural Attack, calculate the damage dice as an additional size category higher, most likely 1d8.

Beelzebub1111
2014-06-18, 07:59 AM
Something important that is missing: They are completely helpless when turned upside down. It's one of the features that earns the the title of "most pathetic monster"

Thealtruistorc
2014-06-18, 10:03 AM
Debihuman,

Since a couple of its racial traits are purely adaptations of flumph monster traits and thus don't have exact equivilants in the race builder, it is difficult to assign it an exact number of Race Points. That said, in all reality it would fall somewhere between dwarf and svirfneblin in comparitive cost.

That would put it practically anywhere. The two are on opposite ends of the spectrum. Let me do some math quick.

Anddddd

I've extrapolated that this thing has about 18 RP. About the same as pathfinder's stronger LA 0 races.

QuackParker
2014-06-18, 03:59 PM
Something important that is missing: They are completely helpless when turned upside down. It's one of the features that earns the the title of "most pathetic monster"

While that was true in older editions, Pathfinder removed that limitation from flumphs. Now they are merely the game's most pathetic looking monsters.

QuackParker
2014-06-18, 04:06 PM
That would put it practically anywhere. The two are on opposite ends of the spectrum. Let me do some math quick.

Anddddd

I've extrapolated that this thing has about 18 RP. About the same as pathfinder's stronger LA 0 races.

Thanks for calculating that for me. Slightly more powerful than I intended, but still certainly within the realm of legal and playable races.

Any thoughts then on the new racial feats anyone?

Debihuman
2014-06-22, 03:51 PM
A few things seem to be missing from the flumph.

The stinger should probably do piercing damage.

Acidic Oozing should be a standard action. How many weapons can it coat with its ooze? 20? 100? Since you don't have a maximum number, I could see PCs totally abusing this ability.

Flight should mention that these are naturally buoyant.

You are missing designations such as Su, Sp and Ex from your traits.

DCs are 10 + 1/2 creature's HD + ability modifier. The ability portion is missing from Stench Spray. Also, it should be standard action to use this. You should designate which ability should be used.

I am not a big fan of feats which grant creatures special abilities since there are so many classes, prestige classes, and templates that already do this.

Debby

QuackParker
2014-06-23, 07:59 AM
A few things seem to be missing from the flumph.

The stinger should probably do piercing damage.

Acidic Oozing should be a standard action. How many weapons can it coat with its ooze? 20? 100? Since you don't have a maximum number, I could see PCs totally abusing this ability.

Flight should mention that these are naturally buoyant.

You are missing designations such as Su, Sp and Ex from your traits.

DCs are 10 + 1/2 creature's HD + ability modifier. The ability portion is missing from Stench Spray. Also, it should be standard action to use this. You should designate which ability should be used.

I have made some changes to reflect your suggestions.

There is no limit to the number of weapons it can coat, but the extra damage only lasts the one attack, so while yes, I suppose players might outfit an army with weapons coated in the acid, the extra 1d4 for one attack with that weapon I doubt could cause too much harm.

I couldn't think of a relevant ability modifier to use with Stench Spray. Dex perhaps?

Debihuman
2014-06-23, 05:21 PM
The official PF version of the flumph has stench spray being constitution-based.
So in a standard round a flumph could coat a trillion weapons since there is no cap; I am so calling shenanigans on that. It's a terrible ability. If I were a flumph, I'd just coat all the multiple weapons in a big city for a fee of a single gp per weapon. I'd be filthy stinking rich in no time.

Debby

Thealtruistorc
2014-06-23, 11:21 PM
I have made some changes to reflect your suggestions.

There is no limit to the number of weapons it can coat, but the extra damage only lasts the one attack, so while yes, I suppose players might outfit an army with weapons coated in the acid, the extra 1d4 for one attack with that weapon I doubt could cause too much harm.

I couldn't think of a relevant ability modifier to use with Stench Spray. Dex perhaps?

For the latter go with Con, as that covers volatility of internal concoctions on most other creatures.

For the issue with coating weapons and its abuse, I have one word: Manyshot.

Debihuman
2014-06-24, 07:57 PM
The Manyshot feat lets you shoot a maximum of four arrows (with increasing penalties every time you add an arrow). Letting a flumph coat all the arrows the whole party has a standard action just seems grossly overpowered. For that reason alone, I wouldn't let anyone play one of these and if the BBEG has one as a minion, the party is fubared.

Debby

UristMcRandom
2014-06-26, 02:09 AM
Unless I am terribly mistaken, not only can you acid-coat as many weapons as you like at once, they don't even have to be nearby. Since there's no limit to the range, you can acid-coat every weapon on every plane in the entirety of existence as a Standard Action, three times a day.

EDIT:

...if the BBEG has one as a minion, the party is fubared.

On that note, three times a day the BBEG's entire army gets additional Acid damage on their weapons until they hit something, regardless of geographic and/or planar location relative to the Flumph.

QuackParker
2014-06-27, 07:21 PM
The Manyshot feat lets you shoot a maximum of four arrows (with increasing penalties every time you add an arrow). Letting a flumph coat all the arrows the whole party has a standard action just seems grossly overpowered. For that reason alone, I wouldn't let anyone play one of these and if the BBEG has one as a minion, the party is fubared.

Debby

Duly noted.

Originally Posted by UristMcRandom
Unless I am terribly mistaken, not only can you acid-coat as many weapons as you like at once, they don't even have to be nearby. Since there's no limit to the range, you can acid-coat every weapon on every plane in the entirety of existence as a Standard Action, three times a day.

Also noted.

New edit to the ability clarifies at what range the flumph can apply the ability. Also, I have remedied the problem with the arrows.

Acidic Oozing(Ex): 3 / per day, as a standard action a flumph can secrete an acidic ooze onto a single melee weapon or single projectile adjacent to or held by the flumph. This ooze coating deals an additional d4 points of acid damage. This acid effect remains on the melee weapon or projectile until it successfully hits its target. The flumph may apply acid to multiple weapons, but the effect does not stack with its own acidic effects.

Debihuman
2014-06-28, 05:54 PM
New edit to the ability clarifies at what range the flumph can apply the ability. Also, I have remedied the problem with the arrows.

Much better. Is that 1d4?

Debby

QuackParker
2014-06-29, 05:15 PM
Much better. Is that 1d4?

Debby

Yes it is.