PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Teleportation Spells

Newwby
2014-02-23, 04:50 AM
So I spent this morning working on a teleportation-based melee class (trying to combine the blade of orien, crinti shadow marauder and teflammar shadowlord in to a base class) with spellcasting progression as a paladin/ranger. I came up with the four following spells (well really it's two spells with two versions each) and would love some feedback on;
Whether similar or identical spells already exist to replicate the effects (in books not homebrew)
The sor/wiz spell levels feel balanced
Additionally, a one round duration means the spell comes in to effect at the start of the next round correct, as per a summon monster spell? Part of a description assumes as such. For future reference (if infact that is the case) what would I write for a spell that takes a full-round to cast but comes in to effect immediately, 1 full-round action?

WARP CONDUIT
Conjuration(Teleportation)
Level: Stepper 2, Sor/Wiz 6
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Personal and Touch
Target: You
Duration: Concentration, special; see text
Saving Throw: None or Will negates
Spell Resistance: None

You concentrate on a location you are intimiately familiar with, or have at least seen. This location must be upon a flat horizontal surface, with at least enough space for a medium sized creature, within 100 feet per caster level.
Upon the completion of this spell your body shimmers with a hazy blue aura and any creature that touches you is subject to a teleportation effect. You, or the touching creature, may attempt to negate the teleportation by making a will save against the spell but otherwise the creature is teleported to the location designated during the casting of the spell. Any creature too large to fit in the designated location is unaffected by touching the caster of this spell. A creature may not have a load exceeding their maximum load, or else the creature is unaffected by touching the caster. The caster may end this spell as a free action at any time, or the effect automatically ends when they cease concentrating, take any action other than concentrating or when the spell ends when up to 1d6+1 medium sized or smaller creatures have been teleported, where a large creature counts for two medium sized creatures and so forth (as per the spell 'teleport'). Teleported creatures are subject to the same familiarity and on/off target rules as a normal teleport spell, although the effects are determined individually at the time of their teleportation, not at the time of casting.

FORCED TRANSPOSITION
Level: Stepper 3, Sor/Wiz 7
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40ft./level)
Area: Cylinder (30-ft. radius, 90 ft. high)
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

You randomly teleport all matter within the affected area, shunting every affected creature and unattended object randomly in any direction 100 feet + 1d20 * 10 feet. The sizes of any affected creature or object do not alter the effect of this spell in any way. If there isn't any free space within 100 feet of the creature or object's new position the creature/object takes 2d6 damage and is shunted to any free space within 1000 feet. If no free space exists within 1000 feet the creature/object takes a further 4d6 damage and is returned to it's original position.

During the casting of this spell notable wisps of ethereal energy appear in the targetted area. A DC20 Knowledge(Arcana) or Spellcraft check is enough to identify the presence of a spell being cast, even if the caster isn't visible.

WARP CONDUIT, GREATER
Level: Stepper 3, Sor/Wiz 8
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Personal and Touch
Target: You
Duration: Concentration, special; see text
Saving Throw: None or Will negates
Spell Resistance: None

This spell functions like 'warp conduit' except there is no range limit on the designated location and teleported creatures suffer no chance of arriving off target, regardless of the caster's familiarity with the location. Additionally the effect last until the caster ends it, when the caster ceases concentrating, or when 2d6+3 medium sized or smaller creatures have been teleported. The caster may take actions (as long as they maintain concentration) whilst the effect of this spell is active.

VIOLENT TRANSPOSITION
Level: Stepper 4, Sor/Wiz 8
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40ft./level)
Area: Cylinder (40-ft. radius, 120 ft. high)
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will half, Will negates; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell functions like 'forced transposition', except you attempt to violently wrench the component atoms of every creature and unattended object, within the affected area, apart. The spell deals 10d6 damage, save for half, to all unattended objects and creatures within the area of effect. Creatures and objects reduced to 0 hp or lower by this damage are disintegrated (as per the 'disintegrate' spell) during teleportation and any objects previously attended by a creature are now considered unattended and thus subject to the effects of this spell.

FlayerIV
2014-02-23, 06:31 AM
"...with at least enough space for a medium sized creature..."

So small/tiny/large/gargantuan creatures are going to have some difficulty with this? I would probably reword this to say 'must be at least large enough to contain the caster'.

The 1d6+1 also poses a problem, as in a party of four having only half the party successfully teleport 100 metres away can be a tactical/strategic problem.

The damage for the forced spells seems off to me too. I'd do the damage based on '1d6 for each square that is occupied by wall' that they have to pass through in order to land at the nearest empty space to a maximum of the d6 times caster level. Granted, this could be abused (by say teleporting to a cave just small enough not to contain them with about a mile to the exit), but it seems more appropriate for such high level spells.

My thoughts.

Newwby
2014-02-23, 02:47 PM
"...with at least enough space for a medium sized creature..."

So small/tiny/large/gargantuan creatures are going to have some difficulty with this? I would probably reword this to say 'must be at least large enough to contain the caster'.

The 1d6+1 also poses a problem, as in a party of four having only half the party successfully teleport 100 metres away can be a tactical/strategic problem.

The damage for the forced spells seems off to me too. I'd do the damage based on '1d6 for each square that is occupied by wall' that they have to pass through in order to land at the nearest empty space to a maximum of the d6 times caster level. Granted, this could be abused (by say teleporting to a cave just small enough not to contain them with about a mile to the exit), but it seems more appropriate for such high level spells.

My thoughts.

Taken on board - I think I will increase the damage, I was just using dimension door as an example. The forced transposition spell is intended as a save-or-fail effect however, halting any encounter where the foes cannot save high enough to prevent random dispersal at significant distance, but I don't see why it can't be used to this offensively by a prepared caster.

The conduit spell isn't really intended as a party movement spell, the class it was designed for can use teleport x/day as an SLA before they gain the appropriate spell level. You're definitely right about the range though, it's useless, particularly as the class I designed it for currently has half caster levels (leaning toward revising it back to full, even as a partial-caster, this may be the push needed).

I added the lesser version later and I'm struggling to see the point for it now, but the greater version is supposed to allow the caster to forcibly teleport creatures by touch, as it doesn't affect the caster (is this clear in the text?) - I originally envisioned the idea thinking about a caster swallowed by a creature using a spell to move the creature without moving the caster (may add a no-save-to-negate-if-swallowed cause).

Maybe if I make it so the caster can determine the location per creature to give it a use apart from teleport? Namely sending the party to various different locations with a single spell. I may additionally increase the number of creatures teleportable by each version and increase the range on the lesser version.

Definitely going to reword the 'area big enough' section, it's messy writing.

Edits will not appear on this post, after the forum table update and I get my tables in order then I'll post the class with the updated spell descriptions.

jedipotter
2014-02-23, 11:33 PM
WARP CONDUIT is this a spell to effect foes or allies? Is it everyone touch the wizard and teleport? Or is it for foes? If it is for foes does hitting the wizard with a weapon count as 'touching' the wizard? And if so, why have the spell not work until after the caster took damage? Why not have the spell effect the area around the caster? And why does it not have spell resistance? It is a harmful/unwanted effect....

FORCED TRANSPOSITION sounds more like what a ''warp conduit' would do...

Trobriand's Baleful Teleport(Waterdeep book) is 6th level and effects one creature teleporting it away, and the Baleful Teleport psioninc power just does damage.

Newwby
2014-02-24, 10:42 AM
WARP CONDUIT is this a spell to effect foes or allies? Is it everyone touch the wizard and teleport? Or is it for foes? If it is for foes does hitting the wizard with a weapon count as 'touching' the wizard? And if so, why have the spell not work until after the caster took damage? Why not have the spell effect the area around the caster? And why does it not have spell resistance? It is a harmful/unwanted effect....

FORCED TRANSPOSITION sounds more like what a ''warp conduit' would do...

Trobriand's Baleful Teleport(Waterdeep book) is 6th level and effects one creature teleporting it away, and the Baleful Teleport psioninc power just does damage.

Lack of spell resistance is an oversight, cheers for spotting that!

Warp conduit is to affect both foes and allies, it's a utility spell for sending allies to multiple locations or an offensive spell to get rid of enemies. The weapon question is something I should have really considered already, I will adjust it to function on the moment of strike with the caster taking damage. Might adjust it's level up for sor/wiz then.

Maybe adding an area of effect would be a good way to differentiate the normal/greater version - it's more difficult to avoid an area than a touch (for enemies).

The names are subject to change, I'm usually quite good with coming up with names but I really struggled with the names for these spells actually.