PDA

View Full Version : Paladin mounts and templates.

Ethelesin
2014-02-23, 09:07 AM
So, a quick question, are there any rules or "restrictions" for applying templates to paladin mounts? For example, could i take a griffon mount (DMG provides rules for this) and then apply warbeast/half-celestial to it or is that a no go? Thanks in advance.

Urpriest
2014-02-23, 11:02 AM
You can only pick the creatures that it says you can, so you can only pick a templated creature if it's on the list.

Ethelesin
2014-02-23, 11:37 AM
Ah, well thats a shame, hmh, back to the drawing board.

Particle_Man
2014-02-23, 03:21 PM
That said, you might do something cool with the leadership feat and the cohort as special mount. Buy a box of girl scout cookies, give them to your DM, and show him the optional rule about paladin cohort mounts on page 200 of the DMG.

Urpriest
2014-02-23, 05:15 PM
That said, you might do something cool with the leadership feat and the cohort as special mount. Buy a box of girl scout cookies, give them to your DM, and show him the optional rule about paladin cohort mounts on page 200 of the DMG.

That rule tends to be a bad idea. You can get a better mount by just taking a cohort and not making it your Paladin Mount, since being a Paladin Mount adds a ton to the ECL via all the bonus HD.

Clistenes
2014-02-23, 05:15 PM
What about using rituals to give your mount templates? Like, you hire somebody to perform the ritual that gives your mount the Dreadnought template? Would that be kosher?

Urpriest
2014-02-23, 05:17 PM
What about using rituals to give your mount templates? Like, you hire somebody to perform the ritual that gives your mount the Dreadnought template? Would that be kosher?

No, once you do that it stops qualifying to be your mount.

Also, where's Dreadnought from?

veti
2014-02-23, 05:40 PM
Your mount is a gift from your god.

If you're even thinking that it's not exactly what you need, ideal for your purposes, and could not be improved upon in any way whatever, then you're not much of a paladin.

Clistenes
2014-02-23, 05:48 PM
Your mount is a gift from your god.

If you're even thinking that it's not exactly what you need, ideal for your purposes, and could not be improved upon in any way whatever, then you're not much of a paladin.

Whatever. They become annoyingly squishable as you level up. They should have more HD.

No, once you do that it stops qualifying to be your mount.

Also, where's Dreadnought from?

Silverthorne Games' Book of Templates, Deluxe Edition. The 3.5 version doesn't mention how to become a Dreadnaught, but the 3.0 version says that it's a level 7 clerical spell/ritual.

Particle_Man
2014-02-23, 06:26 PM
I think Book of Exalted Deeds has a feat that gives your mount the celestial template.

Clistenes
2014-02-23, 07:06 PM
WotC themselves suggest here: The Griffon: Paragon of Majestic Power (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20040409a) that a player could, with the DM's permission, select a Griffon with the Warbeast or Celestial templates at level 10th.

So I guess it could be acceptable to add templates to other mounts.

Urpriest
2014-02-23, 07:10 PM
WotC themselves suggest here: The Griffon: Paragon of Majestic Power (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20040409a) that a player could, with the DM's permission, select a Griffon with the Warbeast or Celestial templates at level 10th.

So I guess it could be acceptable to add templates to other mounts.

Note that it has a different level requirement with templates up.

Basically, a templated creature has to have its own entry in the paladin mount table. If it doesn't already, you have to homebrew it. There's no formula to find it in terms of the base creature's entry.

Clistenes
2014-02-23, 07:29 PM
Note that it has a different level requirement with templates up.

Yup, I said it myself in my post: You have to be a paladin of level 10 or higher to select a Warbeat Griffon or a Celestial Griffon instead of a regular Griffon (which can be take at level 8).

Basically, a templated creature has to have its own entry in the paladin mount table. If it doesn't already, you have to homebrew it. There's no formula to find it in terms of the base creature's entry.

Actually, there is: Your paladin level must be the creature's CR+3 or higher, unless the mount is a flying creature, in which case your paladin level must be the creature's CR+4 or higher.

Ethelesin
2014-02-23, 11:06 PM
"Not much of a paladin" Well... Thats highly debateable (not that im interested in that at present time) I mean, if i "wanted" to be "all that" I could go Crusader4/1Cleric1/RKV10/Crusader+5 or Cleric+5. Or Cleric4/OrdainedChampion1/BoneKnight10/Ordainedchampion+4/cleric+1. I'd have all the paladin/death knight flavor but less "hassle" this is currently just a personal experiment in wringing as much cool stuff out of a paladin20 as possible. And as you might gather from my post, i've hit a wall with the mount.
"Edit" Bah, im comming off as overly hostile wich is not my intention it is simply far too late an hour for me to think straight and it sours my mood.