PDA

View Full Version : The Way of the Wicked - Book 1: Knot of Thorns

Taelas
2014-02-23, 10:06 AM
http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/188080/Branderscar_Prison.png
The Way of the Wicked
Book I: The Knot of Thorns

Out of Character thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333125)

The new scar on your left arm is still painful. It has only been hours since you were branded with the large runic F on your forearm.

http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/167940/Branded.gif

F for 'forsaken', for that is who you are: the condemned. Righteous Talingarde has cast you down into Branderscar Prison, the most infamous prison in all the land.

You have been told that your sentence will be carried out in three days by a fat sergeant of the guard, whose name you overheard as Tomas Blackerly. He was the one who wielded the branding iron with seeming glee, laughing at the acrid smoke of your sizzling flesh and your involuntary yelps of pain.

Mostly in a daze you saw others branded also like you. They are now shackled to the wall next to you. All of you are shackled to the people next to you by a long chain tethered to iron cuffs around you ankles. Manacles shackle each of your arms to the wall behind you.

Garth stands on the far left, shackled next to Azara. The third person in the line is Variel, followed by Arianne, then Norkas, and finally Hannah.

Feel free to introduce yourselves.

Athaleon
2014-02-23, 10:43 AM
A dour-looking Elf is the first to speak up. He asks without a trace of mirth in his voice, "So, what are you all innocent of?"

Kon Lesh
2014-02-23, 12:31 PM
A half orc from near the center of the chain gang speaks up in a calm voice. "Innocent? Ha, I'm innocent of nothing. Guily for not wanting to hand out bread for the rest of my life; for wanting more. But innocent, no."

He then reclines his bald, but tattooed head back along the wall. "What of you elf? What have you done to be sent here?"

Athaleon
2014-02-23, 12:58 PM
"I was paid to make some pissant stop breathing" the Elf replies dismissively. "Either he turned out to be someone important, or they really wanted to nab me for some reason, because there was a mage waiting for me when I got there. Guess what happened next."

He sighs bitterly. "I haven't yet seen any opportunity for escape, but I've breached a few locked doors in my day." He gestures with his manacles. "Might even be able to unfasten these antiques, if I had so much as a steel wire to work with."

ellna
2014-02-23, 01:40 PM
Hannah looks around at her situation with frightened eyes, it is obvious that she is far from her comfort zone. Judging by the healthy glow of her skin and her un-marred, until recently, beauty she had never known the likes of such hardship. Behind her pale blue eyes something else lurks, like a caged animal frantically looking for an escape. She twists uncomfortably in the manacles looking around her cell. The burn in her skin, from the brand, hurts uncomfortably and she wishes fervently that she could scratch it. In the Spartan prison rags a tattoo on her upper arm is clearly visible, a skull with writhing twisting tentacles sprouting from it.

As the others make introductions, she can remain silent no longer. If these were to be who she spent her final moments on this rotted earth, she would at least die without lies. She swallows back the terror and chirps up in a voice with strained joviality.

"I'm Lady Ver... Just call me Hannah. My crime would be worshipping a true god, rather than their weak and pathetic Mitra. Guilty of kidnapping, murder and so much more. I guess when they raided my house they had a difficult time picking a crime to sentence me for, but I hear they decided on Blasphemy, death by fire at the stake."

Hannah gave a snort of derisive laughter. She tried to speak with confidence, but the thought of her fate gnawed at her like a thousand rats.

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2013/132/b/4/skulltapus_by_shawncoss-d5ziizh.jpg (deviantart.com/art/Skulltapus-361981853)Hannah looks around the room for anything of note, also what can be seen beyond the cell.

AmusingSN
2014-02-23, 02:13 PM
Arianne checked the chains. She was triple-secured it would seem. Her refined and (apparently) sadistic jailers were taking no chances with her, it would seem. Or any of these others. The young blonde woman had shared in the branding ritual with the others, and she had bitten down on her tongue so hard that she could still taste the blood oozing from it. But she didn't want to give that fat bastard the pleasure of her screams.

She twisted her arm around so she could see the F mark upon it. Forsaken. By whom?

When had she asked anything of these people?

She turned her head a bit to get a better look at the people next to her. Variel, the talkative elf. She considered his words quietly. He was cocky, confident. Overconfident probably. But he said he could pick these locks. Probably information best left little spoken.

"I appreciate," her voice was a tantalizing whisper in the elf's ear, "your pride in your skills. But lets you and I find you that steel wire first, before we brag about your talents loud enough for our kind captors to hear us."

She heard Hannah and she felt a sympathetic pang. It probably wouldn't be wise to express sympathy among this rough and tumble bunch, however, so she kept it to herself.

She focused her efforts, for what little effort she could do so trussed up, on looking for a steel wire or other such implement that might be used by her neighbor to get them all free.

Taelas
2014-02-23, 02:32 PM
The cell you are in is made up of stout iron bars, save for the northern and western walls, which are of stone. You can see several other cells that are similar, but all are empty. Your cell seems to be the largest of the lot.

The northern wall is the one to which you are shackled.

You can hear some creature or other moving beyond the western wall, which seems likely to be a reinforced cell of some kind; you can see the cell door leading inside.

To the south is a mostly-closed door leading to the guardroom. You can hear occasional voices from there, though they are often too indistinct to make anything out. Whispering does not seem necessary to keep from being overheard, though anything louder than normal speech would likely alert the guards.

Tiny
2014-02-23, 02:35 PM
On the right side of the elf stood another half-orc. A female of remarkable size with her back against the wall with matted hair and eyes closed. Her demeanor not showing it but she was listening intently to the conversation and she broke in at an opportune moment. "A true god you say?" An strange undertone in her voice hinted that the question might have been a bit more loaded than it first appeared. Or perhaps it was due to her words being hindered somewhat by the pair of elongated canines that protruded at each corner of her mouth. She opened her eyes and stared right ahead with her pale blue eyes as if in thought. Shivering slightly in the chill prison air making the chain rattle. It is so cold in here my lord. "Burning.... I am envious of you. Myself I face the headsman's axe for not bowing to their misguided notion of the benevolence of the fraud they call mithra. Well.. That and taking vengeance in my own hands."

Turning her head to observe her fellow prisoners in more detail as there was precious little else to do before her head would be severed at the neck and the last of her clans black blood would stain the stones of some mithan execution grounds. I hope they slip in it and fall to their deaths!

I see that you are both adorned by other markings than that of our tormentors? She glanced up at the runic F burnt into her arm. It was still seeping dark ooze. Then back at the tattooed half-orc and the one who was destined for the stake. "Tribal markings?" Muttering a quick prayer to her dark lord for strength. Whispering her thoughts out loud to no one in particular."The blood has not yet thickened.." Why have you seen fit to let me live? Am I still of use to you my lord? Will you grant me the opportunity for vengeance?

Trying to identify the tattoos.
Knowledge roll (Local) (with guidance): [roll0]
guidance between each check
Knowledge roll (Religion) (with guidance): [roll1]
Knowledge roll (Arcana) (with guidance): [roll2]
(Knowledge roll (Nature) (with guidance)): [roll3]

garter_snake
2014-02-23, 02:55 PM
Garth was quiet, while the others spoke, evaluating each in turn.

An elf, who's scarred dirty face was in stark contrast to the lofty pride Garth had encountered in other members of his race. He looked like he had seen action, and frequently. The casual way he spoke of wet-work marked him as an experienced criminal.

Two... orcs? No, half-orcs, Garth could see the human in their features, when the torchlight shown on them. Full-blooded orcs would have proboly been killed instead of being locked up, anyway. A male and female, both heavily muscled. Garth had fought orcs from time to time- good fighters, but they tended to be about as bright as a sack of hammers, and only good for the same thing.

And the strangest were the two other humans. One was a blond, pale blue-eyed beauty, who wore a nasty grin. The other was a slip of a girl, couldn't be over 19, who's brand stood out as the only blemish on her skin. Both of them looked like they'd be more at home on the village square then in chains. Garth noted the blond's (Hannah, was it) spiel on 'true gods', and nodded. Heretics. Made sense.

And what of him? Former knight, present convict. It was almost funny. Garth glanced at the 'F' on his arm. It was a suitable reminder.

Putting those thoughts aside, Garth pulled lightly on the shackles binding his arms. They were on there pretty good; he couldn't move, or even bend over. Blakerly and his men new how to restrain a prisoner, at least. Unless the elf had ropes for bones, there was no way he was going to be able to pick his shackles.

"...It's probably useless to try and escape. Blakerly and his boys are good at keeping people locked up, if nothing else. Noone's escaped from Branderscar for as long as I've lived. Well-" Garth leaned back and tried to get comfortable. "I guess if any of your lots' 'true gods' are watching right now, a miracle might do it. I can't think of much else that would.

ellna
2014-02-23, 03:13 PM
"Yes, a true god. One that doesn't hide behind pious words that protect the cattle. Urgathoa, Lady of Excess. I have tasted wonders beyond this world's grey palate."

It felt good to say the name, to no longer conceal the dark truth she had borne in secret for so long. Hannah could feel the strength of the Pallid Princess growing inside her. Perhaps now was the time for action.

"Envious." Hannah smiled. "There is no need to be envious."

Hannah spoke a word and a spark of fire leaped from her fingertips towards the shackled Half-Orc. She smiled for a moment as the flame appeared to catch, it quickly faded as it became clear that it didn't work. Despite the failure, an idea occurred to Hannah, and with a wink to her would be victim she began to scream. Feigned terror carrying in her voice loud enough for the guards to hear.

"Help, Help! Fire! Please Help!"Casting Spark
Bluff:[roll0]

Tiny
2014-02-23, 04:02 PM
Urgathoa? Was the woman a necromancer then? Her thoughts were interrupted by the small fire beginning to take root in her clothing. Azara looked down at the growing flame. Genuinely surprised by the blonde woman's ploy. The flicker of the flames reflecting in her eyes. Starting a fire in a cell for those judged for death? I see.. Then I will play the part of damsel in distress and hope these humans are dumb enough to not just let us all burn to death in a room with nothing combustible except these rags. Then amazingly as she watched a drop of blood from the oozing 'F' hit the base of the flame and it withered and died. Perhaps this was indeed a sign from the lord of hell. Nonetheless she might as well aid in the blonde womans ploy. The guards might be 'persuaded' to do something stupid.

"It must have been a spark from the torch! Hurry! Guards! I'm burning!"

Eyeing the blond woman between her shouts for help. Azara coldly states, high enough for the human to hear but to low for the guards. "If you try to burn me again to satisfy your pyromaniac urges I will see you burn as well. Some things are to cold to catch fire easily, but my masters touch is flame and it heats metal and burns pale flesh as well as any branding rod." Not a hint of emotion beyond the cold stare as the flames wink out and die.

Bluff to aid other:
[roll0]

Taelas
2014-02-23, 04:22 PM
Hannah looks around for something to set fire to, but there is not even straw for bedding, not that you would have been able to lie down, shackled to the wall as you are. There seems to be nothing in the cell that can catch fire -- unless she wishes to try to set fire to some of the rags you all are wearing.

For now I assume you don't try to burn your fellow prisoners alive, but if you decide otherwise... :smallwink:

Taelas
2014-02-23, 04:31 PM
Hannah attempts to set Azara's clothes on fire, but the only result is a tiny curl of smoke, and no flame whatsoever.

Upon Azara's shout, two guards come bursting into the room. "What're you lot up to, eh?" a young man asks, frowning into your cell. "There ain't a fire 'ere!"

At the same time, you hear the creature in the reinforced cell stir. "Fire?" a deep rumble calls out, and you see a massive shape shadowed through the bars in the door. "Fire? Let me OUT! Fire?!" Two great hands grasp hold of the iron bars, shaking them violently, though they seem to hold up just fine.

"Settle down, Grumblejack!" the other guard calls, walking down the corridor between the cells towards the creature evidently called 'Grumblejack'. "There ain't a fire, these Forsaken bits of scum're just tryin' to avoid the headsman."

The first guard has come up to the door, staring at you with narrowed eyes. "Be quiet, y'hear? Your lot's bad 'nuff already, I reckon, without pilin' on more."

The large creature in the reinforced cell seems to have settled down as the other guard approached his cell door.

ellna
2014-02-23, 05:28 PM
"You'll have to gag me, to silence me. I refuse to be treated this way."

Her initial ploy to start a fire had fallen short, but perhaps Hannah could still entice the guards closer with her false bluster.

Tiny
2014-02-23, 06:58 PM
Using the commotion to try and make out what kind of creature they were sharing a prison with and committing the armaments of the guards to memory. Azara nodded towards Hannah with wild eyes.

"She tried to burn me with her witching powers!" Azara shifted frantically between the scorch mark on her rags and Hannah. "Could you please be so kind as to move me to another cell! Away from this woman so that I might pray to the lord in peace and come to terms with my fate? Please?! For pity's sake!" And get a chance to rip your throat out and steal your keys.. Her voice pleading and smooth as honey at the same time.

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Are the guards armed and with what? Are they inside the cell? I was thinking we might be able to chain murderous command to make one kill the other and if one tries to gag Azara she might be able to bite him to death. *Shrug*

Is it possible to identify what sort of creature this Grumblejack is from the shape and its hands? Knowledge Local or Nature perhaps?
Perception take 20
or [roll1]
Nature [roll2]
Local [roll3]'

Kon Lesh
2014-02-24, 12:55 AM
Norkas continues to recline against the wall, but moves his head back and forth to listen to the conversation between the guard and his fellow captives. Then realizing that the guards are nearby, Norkas decides to look closer at the guards to see if they haveany keys on them.

Norkas's whole body is covered in tattoos. Most are words written in a foriegn language (infernal), but some show depictions of devils. It is quite obvious that this is more than just tribal tattoos, but his prison rags hide the body and leg tattoos, making it hard to know everything that they say.

Perception to see if guards have any keys [roll0]

garter_snake
2014-02-24, 12:33 PM
Garth just waited patiently. There wasn't any point wasting energy and the guard's apathy trying to fudge an escape. Instead, Garth focused on the manacles binding their hands and chain linking their legs, trying to identify if there was any weak spot in the assembly.

Knowledge Engineering to determine if the manacles and chain have a weak spot.

manacles:
[roll0]
chain:
[roll1]

Taelas
2014-02-24, 02:17 PM
The guard standing outside the cell by the door snorts derisively. "Whatever, witch. You want to make it 'arder on yerself, that's your choice."

He is about to turn away when Azara begins speaking. He raises an eyebrow, tilting his head to the side when she claims Hannah tried to burn her alive. "So what?" he asks, spitting on the floor. "Ye're a bleedin' fersaken." The last word is almost dripping with scorn, though she also notes a considerable quiver in his tone. "If you burn now, we save on the 'eadsman." He resolutely turns his back on you and moves toward the exit.

Those observing the guards in detail notice that they wear a steel mail shirt, a conical steel helmet, and are armed with a leather cudgel, a longsword sheathed at their waist, and with a shield strapped to their arm. They have a quiver of arrows on the opposite side of their waist, and a longbow slung across their backs.

Neither of the guards are carrying keys.

While the young guard is talking to Azara and Hannah, the other guard is rapping the creature Grumblejack across his knuckles, who lets out a deep rumbling yelp and retreats back into his cell.

You decide Grumblejack is probably an ogre, judging by the size and shape of the knuckles in question. Ogres are quite rare in Talingarde, having been exterminated by the Mitrans.

You can find no faults in the chain or the manacles.

"Oi, you comin'?" the young guard calls to the other by Grumblejack's cell, who nods in satisfaction and they both leave the room. They close the door this time.

After some time, perhaps half an hour, the door opens again, and six of the guardsmen (clad identically to the two from earlier) enter the room, followed by someone you all recognize.

http://www.roleplaymarket.com/topicimages/38678.png

The fat sergeant walks up to the cell, pointing inside at Garth. "You there! That's the scum," he tells his men. "Get 'em unshackled. If any of you makes trouble," he adds, turning back to you, "they'll earn a thrashing!"
He unlocks the cell door with a key from the ring at his belt, and his men go inside, cautiously, wielding cudgels.

"Today's your lucky day, scum," Blackerly tells Garth. He seems somewhat dazed for some reason.

You may all make a Sense Motive check.

The fat sergeant goes on. "You've got a visitor. How you ever warranted such a fine lady is beyond me. Seems she wants to say good-bye. Now step lively," he adds, as the two of the men unshackle Garth, while the rest keep a watchful eye on the other prisoners. "We wouldn't want to keep her waiting."

Garth tries to recall any 'lady' who might wish to visit him and say her good-byes to him, but no one comes to mind.

garter_snake
2014-02-24, 03:03 PM
Something is... off. Garth thought, as the guards released his binds. I can think of a one or two women who might want to say goodbye to me, but none with the pull to arrange for a visit. What's going on here?

Garth staggered a bit as the guards rougly removed the chains anchoring him to the wall. His muscles were stiff. Rubbing his wrists, then legs to warm them up, he nodded at Blackerly, as if this was totally expected. "Lead on, then."

Garth will follow without trying to start anything, assuming nothing interferes with the trip.

Kon Lesh
2014-02-24, 04:13 PM
Norkas's eyes twitches as he sees the sergeant. He then calms down before doing anything stupid. Norkas listens to the man's words and wonders what he wants with the human.

sense motive[roll0]

AmusingSN
2014-02-24, 04:51 PM
Arianne thought about making a play, taking advantage of the moment, but this situation was too curious, she wanted to see how it played out. She considered trying to signal Garth secretly, but decided against it. They had three days before they were all dead. It would be best to wait and watch at least for a while longer before playing their hand. They'd probably only have one shot at an escape.

She sneered at one of the guards who was watching her, but most of her venom was saved for the Sergeant. That fat sadistic inbred villain. She'd see him squeal for mercy before the three days were up, she swore to herself.

She heard that no one ever escaped from this prison. But whether or not any prisoners killed guard sergeants or not was less certain.

ellna
2014-02-24, 05:40 PM
Hannah cursed silently when the guards left. Apparently they didn't breed them stupid, well not stupid enough. It seemed hopeless and the little fire that had kindled inside Hannah waned once more and the gnawing fear began to sprout again. She remembered Azara's words and the look in her eyes and it chilled her. Inside she feel the strength of her lady, but it seemed distant and far from reach and as her fear grew it crept further from her grasp. Urgathoa rewards the strong not the craven, yet Hannah couldn't muster that strength shackled and broken as she was.

When the brutal sergeant arrived later, Hannah's eyes lit up. Another chance for escape! However her glimmer of hope was quickly quashed when she counted the guards. Too many, it was futile. She tried to keep her eyes on Blackerly, but even without his gaze meeting hers she couldn't manage it. She looked at the rough cell floor, shame swirling behind terrified eyes.

Tiny
2014-02-24, 06:36 PM
Azara noted the many metal objects carried by the guards and for a moment she entertained the thought of cooking one of the smug bastards head in his own helmet. That would be only fair... But she dismissed that idea when she saw no means to actually escape the chains by doing something so foolish. She would probably get a better chance to escape when she knew more about her fellow inmates. Like the one in the reinforced cell.. Grublejack...The guard had said his name was. She thought she had recognized the large fists of that particular breed of giant. If I am not mistaken he must be an ogre, or at least a Half breed. There should not be many of his sort left in this country.. Curious. They had been hunted to near extinction much like her own clan. Why was he not merely slain like the rest of his kind? Then again the Mitrans had not killed her on the spot either...

Her thoughts were interrupted by the strange orders from fat sergeant Blackerly. Visitor? Was the human important in any way? And was the sergeant drunk? He seems dazed..
Sense Motive: [roll0]

Athaleon
2014-02-24, 06:46 PM
Lucky dog, thought Variel as one of their number went for one last visit with his soon-to-be-widow. He'd been complacent, he realized, in simply living off the proceeds of his work and not making plans for the future. He had no friends in high places, and no contingency plan for this sort of thing. One more mistake to rectify if he ever got out of this s***hole.

But even through his self-centered musing, he could tell there was something off about the Sergeant's voice, even more than his usual jowly drawl.

Sense Motive: [roll0]

Taelas
2014-02-24, 07:29 PM
You are rather certain that the sergeant has been enchanted somehow. You recognize the dazed look in his eyes.

Garth is escorted out of the cellblock, down the hall and into a small room with a table and two chairs. Sitting in one of the chairs is a hauntingly beautiful woman in an elegant black dress and a soft silken veil. She is dressed as for a funeral. Her hair is so platinum as to almost be white, and her eyes are an almost unearthly vibrant green. They are rimmed with red and there are marks of tears streaking down her cheeks visible under the veil.

http://www.firemountaingames.com/images/tiadora_preview.png

"Oh, dearest!" she proclaims as soon as Garth is led into the room, and shoved down into the other chair across the table from the woman. "I'm so relieved you're alive!"

She is utterly unfamiliar to Garth. He is certain he has never seen her before.

The woman turns to Blackerly, who has just ushered the other guards out of the room. "Could we please have a moment alone, good sir? For pity's sake?"

The man's face goes oddly blank for a moment, then he quickly agrees. "Of course, my lady. For you, 'tis no problem." He backs out of the room, bowing deeply to the woman, and closes the door behind him.

You may make another Sense Motive check.

The instant the door closes, the woman's entire demeanor changes. "Have you forgotten me, dearest?" she asks teasingly, with a smirk. Her pretense at grief seems to have vanished.

"Call me Tiadora," she says, her tone suddenly businesslike. "We possess a mutual friend who would like to meet you and your fellow cell-mates. Unfortunately, our friend is unwilling to visit your present rather accommodations so it seems you must escape."

Something must have shown on Garth's face, for she smirks again. "Don't be so dour. Just because it's never been done doesn't mean you can't be the first."

She examines Garth with an appraising look in her unnaturally green eyes. "If you manage that, cross the moors on the outskirts of town. On the old Moor Road you'll see a manor house with a single lantern burning in the second story. There our mutual friend waits. That is all I know."

She stops for a moment, then reaches up and undoes the veil. "He did want me to give you this," she adds, using it to wipe away a few fake tears. "Something to remember me by, dearest." She drops it on the table.

Tiny
2014-02-24, 07:55 PM
Waiting until the guards had left with the human male to satisfy her curiosity of the creature in the reinforced cell. An ogre! Perhaps strong enough to break her free if motivated enough. Azara went through the words in her head. I haven't spoken this in such a long time.. Not since.. Her apprehension and nervousness regarding the language melted away at the thought of her dead clan. Not since my kin and I shared spoils and shelter with that stone giant five winters ago.. Ettrusk had been a mediocre teacher at best but Azara had had all winter to learn the finer and the not so fine nuances of the giant tongue. That I would use it inside a human prison.. Her heart grew colder as she returned from the memories of better days. Speaking a short few words to the lord of hell for success. Grinning when she felt the fiery answer melt away some of the earlier chill from her bones. "The blood still flows!"
Casting guidance and enhanced diplomacy for an extra bonus of +3 to diplomacy
Diplomacy [roll0]
She took care to roughen her voice and spoke up so that the creature in the reinforced cell would hear. Hels Grumblejack! Det ar di nom eller hur? Am ar Azara af de svarte blod og jeg likt deg ar af de siste af min linje. Vorfor ar det att en jotun holdes fangen innom Branderscar, denne man festing, og varfor later do dem sla deg? Har deg icke styrke nog att bryte deg ut ur dette rom og krig di weg till freheet?

Perhaps the pronunciation had been a bit of?

"Greetings Grumblejack! That is your name is it not? I am Azara of the black blood and I like you are one of the last of my people. How come one of the giant-kin ended up inside the man made prison of Branderscar and why do you accept their beatings? Have you not the strength to break down the door and and fight your way to freedom?"

garter_snake
2014-02-24, 08:37 PM
Sitting down across from the woman, Garth pinched the bridge of his nose. "I'm not really in a position to argue right now, so I'll take you up on that. But it'll be tricky. And we probably don't have much time to talk about it, do we?"

Garth leaned forward, one arm on the table. "Tell me two things, at least. First, as much information as you can give me about the layout of the prison and the surrounding area. Second-" Garth gingerly picked up the veil. "I'm guessing this has some sort of significance beyond matching your hair, as it's wasted on me in that sense. ...I don't really care to put on something that might be magic blind, so would you mind telling me what it's for?"

"Milady." Garth added.

Kon Lesh
2014-02-24, 10:06 PM
After all of the guards leave, Norkas lays his head against the wall, closes his eyes, and then smiles. A single, soft spoken word leaves his mouth "Soon." Then, all expression leaves his face as he softly breathes and enter a meditative state.

Taelas
2014-02-25, 05:13 AM
After Azara finishes her speech, the creature in the reinforced cell comes back to the door.

"Du snakker språket mitt?" he says in the same language, his voice a deep rumble.

You speak my language?

"But little 'un don't speak right," Grumblejack continues, this time in Common, with a soft chuckle. "Is okay. I speaks man-tongue. Whats you want, little 'un?"

He does not respond to Azara's queries.

Tiadora shakes her head. "I have no information to give you about this place. You will need to find that out on your own. If you can't, well, then perhaps you are not what our friend seeks after all." She sends him a self-satisfied smirk.

She makes a vague gesture at the veil. "It's a gift, dearest. Use it as you see fit."

Examining the veil reveals a number of patches in the shapes of various objects, including but not limited to a sack, a pair of daggers, a symbol in the center, a lantern, thin implements of some sort and oddly, a window.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x37/tradgamestock/Way%20of%20the%20Wicked/TiadorasVeil.png

She rises from her chair and a moment later the door opens, letting the guards back in. Immediately, her demeanor changes once more and she is the perfect picture of grief again. "No, I can't bear to leave you!" she sobs, and hurrying to him, she leans in to give Garth a kiss on his cheek. Her lips feel icy cold, and somehow alien and inhuman.

Blackerly shakes his head. "I'm afraid it's time, miss."

She looks deep into the sergeant's eyes and says, "Thank you for letting me say good-bye. There's no need to search my dearest. You are such a good friend for letting me see my dearest one more time."

Blackerly repeats, "Such a good friend," in an almost mechanical voice. He seems to snap out of it and bows politely. "A pleasure, madam."

Tiadora leaves the room, but stops at the door to send one last look back at Garth, catching his eye. She briefly sends him a wicked smile. "Three days," Garth suddenly hears in his own mind. "Don't disappoint me, dearest."

The guards bring Garth back to the cell, and he is again shackled with the others. The lights are dimmed, and you are left alone with only each other for company. Two of the guards seem to be stationed just outside the door to the cellblock.

Tiny
2014-02-25, 06:51 AM
Azara was pleased she apparently still had at least a rudimentary grasp of the language of giants. She replied in common as well. "I do." She shrugged in her chains which made them rattle. "But I learnt it many years ago and from a 'Steinjotun' called Ettrusk." She smiled coldly. This went better than expected.
"What I want, big 'un? Simply put I want you to aid me in leaving this place and take my vengance upon the little 'uns who put us in these cells. You are strong are you not? There will perhaps come a time in the near future when we have a chance to break these chains or steal a key. I can feel it is the will of the father below that I do not remain here. When that time comes Grumblejack.. I would be a fool indeed if I did not seek the assistance of the prisoner in the reinforced cell. The guards must fear you to have put you in there and you would seek freedom as well I presume? "

Azara makes a strength check to try and burst the chains. (Take 20 if possible) [roll0]

AmusingSN
2014-02-25, 09:14 AM
Arianne looked with her pale eyes through blonde waves at Garth, expectantly. It was clear that she expected some sort of update from him, or at least to share the details of his encounter with the woman so that they all could have a vicarious thrill.

It didn't seem like there would be many thrills left for them. Still no metal wires for her new "friend" the elf to help get them free. Despite the coming and going of the guards.

ellna
2014-02-25, 11:51 AM
Hannah perks up when Azara speaks in the foreign tongue and when Grumblejack actually responds, she shuffles slightly causing her chains to rattle. Hannah still seems somewhat resigned, but curious about the beast that shared the cell across the room.

garter_snake
2014-02-25, 04:55 PM
Garth sighed at her responses. Why do women always have to be difficult?, he thought. Before he could respond the door opened for Blackerly, and Garth quickly wadded up the veil, clenching it in his right hand so that it was completely covered by his fist.

Garth rubbed his cheek where she had kissed him. Cold lips. He shuddered, tightening his grip on the veil. He need not have bothered hiding it, as whatever Tiadora did to the Sergeant held; he was neither searched nor questioned as the guards returned him to his shackles, and they left without a backwards glance.

Garth ignored Arianne's gaze. Careful not to drop it, he opened the veil, feeling the designs on it with his fingers. If my guess is right... Ah! Pulling gently at the stitching of the small set of embroidered lockpicks, the very real weight of a genuine set appeared in his hand.

Garth smiled. Stuffing the viel into his smallclothes, he turned so that his back and hands were facing Azara. Holding the lockpocks in his opened left palm, he stuck out the index finger of his right hand and traced in her skin:

E

L

F

Tiny
2014-02-25, 07:22 PM
As the human male returned from his meeting Azara thought he seemed more relaxed and confident than before. Perhaps she was a former spouse.. She paid little head to it other than that. It could just as well have been a trick of the light.

As the guards left them alone again she was just about to keep questioning Grumblejack when she felt the warm touch of a finger on her skin. A bit startled she looked to her left and the muscular man that had just returned. Was he not satisfied with the touch of his lover? Then she saw it. In his hand! What a marvelous sight it was. More precious than any gemstone! Her eyes went wide and her heart raced. She drew in a small sharp breath. Azmodeus be praised! That is a lockpick if I am not mistaken. This is it! She remembered the elf on her right brag about his skills with wires and such things earlier..

Azara very carefully tapped her finger in the mans empty hand to indicate that she understood. Then she slowly picked up the invaluable tool and squeezed it in her fist to make sure she would not drop it. This is freedom and vengeance you hold in your hand. Moving the pick between her hands and mimicking the tactic the human had used for her. She presented her closed hand to the elf. She weaved a quick sign to the father below with her empty hand and muttered a prayer under her breath. Then she lightly tapped him on the arm sending a trickle of the dark fathers power forth. Fearing he might be startled and spill the picks from her hand she waited until she had his attention before opening her fist and showing the treasure it hid.

Taking Garth meant Azara, as she was described as the one between Garth and Variel. Casting Guidance (http://paizo.com/prd/spells/guidance.html) on Variel as well as handing him the Thief tools.

Athaleon
2014-02-25, 07:34 PM
Variel took the tools without a word and got to work. No point wondering how they were smuggled in.

Mind racing, he decided on his order of operations. First his hands, then his ankles, then he could get to freeing the others. The brawny half-orcs first, in case the guards showed up before everyone was free. Then the cell door, in case the guards got smart and left the door shut while calling for backup. Then he could get to the rest of the party.

If possible (and if it's enough) I'll take 10 for a total of 21.

Otherwise, here are some Disable Device rolls, in the other mentioned above.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Edit: Rolls assume he has Guidance re-applied for every attempt.

Taelas
2014-02-26, 12:53 PM
Before Azara can attempt to break the manacles, which likely would have caused a great deal of noise (though from the look of them, it might be possible to burst the chain), Garth pokes her and hands her the lock picks.

Grumblejack does not answer for a long moment before he says in a low carrying rumble, "Little 'uns caught me. Dunno why they's not kilt me yet. They's stupid."

He lets out a deep sigh. "You's not want me. They's stupid but they hurts me. Can't fight like dis."

You can't take ten; it's a bit too tense a situation for that.

The first attempt succeeds beautifully, and Variel's manacles click open almost without a sound. Perhaps this success gets to his head, however, as the next attempt on the chain running through the iron bands on your ankles fails, and he drops one of the lock picks with a clanging ring on the floor.

"Was that a rat?" they hear from the direction of the door to the cellblock, which has been left open.

But no one comes to check out the sound, so Variel quickly snatches the pick back up. The lock is similar to the one he opened before, and with a little more caution and a bit of work, it soon clicks open.

All of your feet are now free, and you are only kept shackled to the wall by the manacles on your arms.

Moving quickly to Norkas, the ranger again attempts to open a lock, but again, he seems to have rushed himself, and he fumbles the picks. He doesn't drop one this time, but he bangs his knee into the wall as he scrambles to hold onto them, and a short hiss of pain escapes him involuntarily.

[roll0]

"What the Hell was that?" you hear from the doorway, and a moment later, a figure appears there. "What're you all doin' in 'ere?"

Variel has just time enough to move back to his spot in the line before the guard comes into view of the prisoners.

ellna
2014-02-26, 03:21 PM
Hannah watches the elf silently as he frees himself. She has to suppress a woop of joy, now was not the time for celebration. As noise summons the guard she quickly hides her smile and glares at him defiantly.

Tiny
2014-02-26, 04:47 PM
Thinking on her feet as Varius dropped the pick the first time she started praying to her lord for strength.

And when the time came Azara answered the guards query with a cold calculating stare. Her blue eyes shining like a cat's in the gloom inside the cell.

"We are merely contemplating the different ways Lord Asmodeus have planned to destroy your souls once you killed his servants. I for one would settle for biting your head of right now... Why don't you come inside the cell and see how it feels. Come now.. I'm waiting.. Don't be shy.."

The words invitation resonated through the cell block, not so much trough the intensity of emotion but instead as a cold void in the words where human emotions should have been. An aura of utter inhumanity projected from the half-orcs blue unrelenting stare and waiting fangs.
With a bonus of +3 from guidance and Enhanced Diplomacy. Intimidate: [roll0]

AmusingSN
2014-02-27, 08:44 AM
Arianne was excited by the sight of her neighbor freeing himself, but anxious when the guard showed up. She remained pensive and quiet through the whole ordeal. She was ready to act, but didn't want to push things too fast until everything was in place.

She didn't just want to get out of these chains. She wanted to get out of the Prison.

garter_snake
2014-02-27, 06:00 PM
Garth cursed softly the first time Variel dropped the lockpicks. It may have been a better idea to wait then start something right away. Yeah- The elf dropped the picks a second time, and guard had heard. The cell door opened with Variel only having an instant to jump back into place. -this could go bad fast. The lighting was dim, but if the guard looked closely, it was a sure thing he would notice that the elf's cuffs were off. Garth thought furiously how to distract him, when the half-orc next to him opened her mouth and, in a voice like ice shards, threatened him with damnation.

...she's a cold one. Garth thought, and waited to see if it would do the trick.

Athaleon
2014-02-27, 07:58 PM
As soon as the guard spoke up, Variel hid the lockpick and rushed back to his spot on the wall. He avoided looking at the guard, just trying to let the guard's attention focus on the others until he left.

Taelas
2014-02-28, 06:30 AM
You can make a Sleight of Hand check. It's a full set of masterwork thieves' tools, so you can't hide it "under your tongue", but you can conceal it from sight.

The guard freezes in place just inside the cell block. He seems utterly terrified, and you can hear the faint sound of him pissing himself.

"What's the matter, boy?" asks the other guard from behind him, though he stays outside. He is holding some sort of horn. The frightened guard backs out rapidly. "Bloody Hell boy, you soiled yerself? What happened in there?"
"N-nothing!" he protests, and they both leave the cell block.

ellna
2014-02-28, 12:09 PM
Hannah stifles a giggle at the guards shame, but as the guards depart Hannah can no longer contain her laughter. A genuine smile finds a home on her face.

Athaleon
2014-03-01, 12:44 AM
Variel sighs with relief as the guards depart. That was too close. Good thing the turnkey that came to investigate turned out to be so pathetic.

Now that some of the shackles were undone, he had to finish the rest before another guard came to check on them for whatever reason. As soon as the guards seemed to have settled back into their posts he started again.

Didn't realize the tools were Masterwork. Though I don't think it would have helped on those poor rolls.

Going in the previously mentioned order. First the half-orcs, then the cell door, then the rest.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

Again assuming Guidance on all these.

Taelas
2014-03-01, 05:06 AM
In a matter of minutes, Variel has opened all of the locks with almost ridiculous ease.

You can hear the two guards talking loudly back and forth, almost having an argument. It seems the younger guard wants to leave, but the older refuses to be left alone even for a short time.

Tiny
2014-03-01, 08:19 AM
Following the guards stuttering retreat Azara smirks in satisfaction. They seem to fear you my lord... and rightly so.

As the elf removes her shackles she nods in thanks and immediately head over to Garth. Enjoying the feeling as her blood flows more freely she whispers to the human.

"We have not got much time. I don't know when they come to feed us next time. You met someone earlier and unless the guards did not search you as thoroughly as they did myself..." Her voice tensed at that and she paused a short while before she continued. "My guess is you got those from your acquaintance and that you have a plan on how to leave this place. I want in. How much more assistance can we expect from the outside?"

ellna
2014-03-01, 08:21 AM
Hannah rubs her wrists where the manacles used to be, the skin rubbed raw. An angry red welt against her soft, pampered skin. She looks around at her fellow escapees and smiled. The gnawing fear still hid inside her, but now the strength of her lady had found her. She still had to make the first step to freedom herself, Urgathoa didn't help the weak. The two guards' racket provided the perfect opportunity to plan their escape. However the discord could lead to something...

"Thank you. Patience might serve us now, it sounds' as if the younger guard needs to change his pants. Could be an opportunity."

Kon Lesh
2014-03-01, 09:03 PM
Norkas comes out of his trance, stands, and stretches after being released. "Wonderful. Thanks elf."

Turning to Garth, "Does your friend have any other tricks to help escape or is it just our own devices? If not then I say lets take them out quickly."

garter_snake
2014-03-02, 11:33 PM
Garth rubbed his wrists to get the circulation flowing again, and nodded to Norkas and Azara, indicating that he had heard them. Then he beckened to all of the members of the party. "Right, then. Everyone huddle up for a bit, so the guards don't hear us.

Assuming everyone does so...

"Call me Garth. It looks like all of they praying that you lot have been doing has paid off, as right now we've all got a real shot at freedom. But we also don't have much time. Soon enough, someone's going to check on us, and it'll be us in our small-cloths versus a roomful of armed guards."

"We're on our own in here," Garth said, sparing a glance to Norkas, before returning his attention to the group as a whole. "So what we've got is what we're going with. I need a list of our assets, and what each of you brings to the table, so I know what our options are.

"Myself, I'm a swordsman and soldier. Nothing particularly fancy. As for what my 'acquaintance' gave me... Garth pulled out the veil, opening it briefly so that everyone could see, and pulled out the right dagger drawing. The dagger appeared in his right hand, and he rolled the veil back up and held clenched in his left fist.

http://imageshack.com/a/img22/6906/33cz.png

Red X's are what has been used.

"...you get the idea. I'm going to be conservative with it, as getting caught and having to try again is a real possibility.

"Also- Garth nodded at the door. "Our first order of business is going to be to incapacitate those two guards outside, leaving at least one alive so we can get information on the prison's layout. If anyone has any bright ideas, feel free to contribute.

Sorry about the delay and opening multiple topics of conversation at once; I missed a couple of posts from the control panel, and I wanted to not bog us down.

Also, Szar_Lakol, if pulling out the dagger does something other than what I just described, let me know and I'll delete/edit the post as appropriate. Thanks.

ellna
2014-03-03, 09:36 AM
"Assets, I can fight and kill. You've already seen a fraction of the power my lady grants me. Again sorry about that orc, I would've extinguished you when we escaped. No hard feelings right? If I still had my talisman, I could be of further help. Right now however, I can taste their fear. Fear, obedience even wrath against his fellow man can all be garnered from such weak willed opponents. If only for a moment, a brief display of my power could give you the opportunity we need. Taking one alive will be difficult, but give him to me and I'll show you another of my talents."

Hannah speaks in a low voice and tries to seem confident, but the fact they were still behind bars didn't escape her. Nobody escaped Branderscar, nobody, but better to die trying than live three more days, weak and broken. Urgathoa warmed her blood to anger and Hannah greedily grabbed at that strength. If ever there was a time she needed it, it was now.

AmusingSN
2014-03-03, 04:04 PM
"We all stick together, at least until we get far away from this place. If that's understood and agreed to by everyone, I'm all in. Everything I have, for our revenge and freedom."

Arianne crouched a bit, and rubbed her ankles, then she stood up and adjusted her rags to cover her modesty. She frowned slightly as she studied the brand on her arm, then she looked to Garth with her pale, angry eyes.

"I am a witch. I have one use of a charm spell. One use of a magical armor spell. I can also daze, and detect magic, and place a curse of slumber upon our enemies, which doesn't last nearly long enough to be satisfying."

Athaleon
2014-03-04, 04:14 PM
"If we do this right, a few moments of sleep should be all we need. I wouldn't mind a weapon of my own if you've got any more in that veil of tricks. Otherwise we should get going without any further ado. Just make damn sure that one guard doesn't blow his horn, and the other doesn't escape."

Variel is speaking very fast now, clearly anxious to get moving.

Kon Lesh
2014-03-04, 09:09 PM
"Agreed. Leaving now is better than later. One is even already defeated. All that I can provide are my fists and feet. But with magic added to it they should be down in a second."

Tiny
2014-03-05, 06:53 AM
Azara listened intently to the abilities of her fellow escapees. At the blonde woman's apology she merely kept her cold eyes level with hers. Her expression hard to read. My lord has granted me power to turn foe against foe and like most of you I am no stranger to violence. We should take advantage of our numbers though... She looked over at the reinforced cell but dismissed the thought of freeing the ogre so soon. He would perhaps alert the guard by being to noisy. I do not think we should play this on their terms and attack through the door. If we lure the guards into the cell block we could stage an ambush and bring our full strength to the fight. The young one will be to frightened to go in alone and judging by the other one he will be looking to prove there is nothing to be afraid of. Let us get into position. I would like to leave this place sooner rather than later.

AmusingSN
2014-03-05, 01:08 PM
Arianne seemed agreeable to anything at this point. However, she did assume that if the guards looked in and saw any of them free, the first thing they would do is sound that alarm, so she got back up into her chained to the wall postion, and pretended to be locked there.

Athaleon
2014-03-05, 06:13 PM
"So we taunt a guard into coming back, we put him to sleep, then repeat for the other one. If that's the plan, places everyone."

AmusingSN
2014-03-05, 08:28 PM
"He won't stay asleep long, if he does succumb. So you'll have to strike fast, very fast." Arianne adjusted her rags again, trying to look all helpless and restrained.

garter_snake
2014-03-05, 09:55 PM
Garth nodded at Azara. "That sounds fine. With one addition. I'm going to try to capture one of the guards, so we can get some information." Garth opened the viel and 'pulled' the rope stitching out of it. A length of hemp appeared in his hand. Nodding, he tossed the dagger he had pulled out previously to Variel. "Here. I'm going to need my hands, so you take this."

Stashing the veil in his smallclothes, Garth took his position on the prison line, both hands behind his back as if he were still shackled up, holding the length of rope in it, his body hiding it from view as he faced the door.

ellna
2014-03-06, 07:44 AM
Hannah grinned fiercely as the plan formed and nodded. She took her position in the chain and prepared to act.

Imma Ready

ellna
2014-03-06, 12:04 PM
Once everyone was in place Hannah called out to catch the guard's attention.

"Hey, I'm dying in here. Can a girl get a glass of water. I've got a piece of gold the sergeant missed, I'll tell you where I hid it if I can have a drink."

Taelas
2014-03-06, 02:26 PM
Within moments, the door opens fully to admit the older of the two guardsmen. He walks into the cellblock, glancing back over his shoulder at the younger guard, who is standing in the door clutching the horn, looking terrified.

"What's the durn racket?" the guard calls out, approaching cautiously with his cudgel drawn. "If'n ye can't shut up, I'll rap yer soles!"

Anyone who attempts to hide their freed state by slipping into your places in line and putting the manacles on your wrists can make stealth checks. Do note that the guard in the doorway would likely see if anything happened to the one coming closer.

Tiny
2014-03-06, 04:27 PM
Slipping into her cuffs she realized they had forgot to lock the door to their cell again. Cursing under her breath she wondered how they would get out of the situation now. If he realizes the door is unlocked... I will have to do something to distract him.

Responding to the guards threat with one of her own. Azara frantically tried to buy time for her companions to come up with some way to salvage the situation.

"Sooo... The old one wants his soul eaten as well? Why don't you send for reinforcements already and spare Asmodeus the tedium of destroying you one by one? Your friend is at least clever or cowardly enough to stay all the way back by the door to send for help should something happen. Pity it wont be in time to save your soul.."

Intimidate roll in OOC

Taelas
2014-03-07, 08:03 PM
The guard stops well short of the door to your cell.

He looks surprised and involuntarily takes a step back in the direction he came when Azara speaks her threat. Then his face hardens considerably and he resolutely walks closer, brandishing his club.

[roll0]

"Ye bleedin' fersaken, I'll get you ter shut up!" he snarls, his voice shaking, then he stops right in front of the door. He glances down at the lock, then mutters a curse. "Boy! Fetch me the keys! I'm goin' in ter teach this lot to be quiet!" he calls.

"Get 'em yerself! I ain't goin' back in there!"

With a frustrated noise, the guard turns his back on the door and heads back towards the guardroom. "You're a bloody coward, Davin," he says with a shake of his head.

Athaleon
2014-03-10, 05:30 PM
Damnation, the younger guard was scared so s***less that he wouldn't approach the cell. And he held the trumpet.

Only one thing to do now, strike while they were both together in the room. He signals for quiet, and for the others to follow, as he slips out into the hallway.

Stealth: [roll0]

Variel will move up quietly until he's spotted, or it sounds like they've been detected. If he can charge-attack, he will do so. If he can't charge, he will move up into melee with the guard holding the trumpet. Or he will attempt to grab the trumpet if the guard put it down.

garter_snake
2014-03-10, 09:33 PM
Garth nodded at the elf and followed him into the hallway.

Stealth: [roll0]
Initiative?(just in case): [roll1] edit:oops, rolled stealth again. brain derp.

Tiny
2014-03-11, 08:25 AM
Following the pair as silently as she could, Azara was ready to call upon her lord to force these troublesome guards into fighting each other with a moments notice. Offering a quick prayer inside to the dark forces before heading out into the corridor. My lord.. Cover my dark intent and I shall turn this Davin into a sacrifice upon who we will make our escape.

Guidiance then Sneak! And readied action to cast Murderous command on the one with the horn or the one closest to the horn.

Stealth:[roll0]
Initiative:[roll1]

ellna
2014-03-12, 05:07 AM
Hannah crept out of the cell follow her other cell mates.

Stealth:[roll0]

Taelas
2014-03-12, 09:13 AM
The two guards are talking back and forth as you sneak out after them. The guard in the doorway has just stepped aside to allow the older guard to pass him when Variel rounds the corner. The guard's eyes open wide upon the elf stepping out into the open, and he lets out a half-strangled yelp. He lifts the horn to his lips while taking a deep breath as the other guard spins on his heel at the noise.

"How in the blazes--" the guard stammers, lifting his cudgel threateningly.

E1: [roll0]
E2: [roll1]

Variel, you can charge the guard with the signal horn.

Athaleon
2014-03-12, 10:59 AM
Without a sound or a moment's delay, Variel rushes the guard with the horn. He ignored the one with the cudgel, he would just have to risk taking the hit. This was his one shot at making this work.

I didn't use Guidance on the Stealth roll, so I'll use it up on this attack.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

In case of Crit:
Confirmation: [roll2]
Extra Damage: [roll3]

Taelas
2014-03-13, 02:27 PM
The guard, though clearly still taken aback, manages to block Variel's strike with his arm, leaving a long gash down its length.

Tiny
2014-03-14, 08:30 AM
As the elf charged the guards and stoke out with his dagger, Azara's pulse quickened. It was now or never. If that horn sounded they would most likely be swarmed by Blackerly and his lackeys in short order. Steping round the corner she shouted a command bearing with it the doctrine of hell itself. The meaning was straightforward. Obey or be damned. "Davin! Strike the Mithran down and we will spare your life!" The words meant little and the promise might as well be a lie. But the syllables were infused with hellish sorcery and Davin would have to be strong of will to resist the command.

5 foot step to w9
murderous command on the horn carrier. DC 16 Will Negates It should be just in range for the spell. if it is not in range she will turn the 5-foot step into a move action to get right behind Variel. And allow for the more martial types to fight.

Athaleon
2014-03-16, 08:39 PM
Heedless of everything else going on around him, Variel brought the dagger down again on the frightened guard. He could not be allowed to blow that horn.

Moving around to a flanking position if possible, eating the attack of opportunity if necessary.

Attack: [roll0] +2 if flanking

Crit Confirm: [roll2] +2 if flanking
Extra Damage: [roll3]

garter_snake
2014-03-17, 06:59 AM
On the heels of the Elf and the Orc, Garth barreled into the guard holding the horn, dropping the rope as he did so. He reached out and grabed the hand that was going for the horn and twisted it around the guard's back.

Move action Move adjacent to the gard, in a flanking position with either Variel or Azara
Free action to drop the rope, for two free hands
Standard action to grapple.

[roll0](bonus is +6 CMB, +2 flanking)

vs CMD of the guard. Note that as the guard is flat-footed, he does not add his dex bonus to his CMD and does not get an AoO; he would have both if he wasn't.

AmusingSN
2014-03-17, 10:42 AM
Arianne moved closer and cast her Hex upon the guard with the cudgel, hoping to put to the ground asleep, so that her dagger wielding companion can more easily and quietly dispatch him.

Slumber Hex on the Cudgel Guard. Will Save DC 15 to resist.

Taelas
2014-03-19, 07:09 AM
The second guard crumbles to the floor, asleep.

Tiny
2014-03-19, 08:14 AM
Seeing an opportunity present itself as the older guard falls to the floor. Azara runs up to the Garth and Davin and begins tugging at the held horn. Frustrated by the resistance she encounters, the half-orc clamps down on Davin's arm with her teeth to force him to release the horn.

Move to 13X and make a Disarm attempt. (Pun might be intended.)

[roll0]

Taelas
2014-03-19, 11:02 AM
Davin cries out in pain and relinquishes the horn reflexively, and Azara snatches it away from him without any problems.

ellna
2014-03-19, 01:04 PM
Hannah smiled as the obviously more experienced guard collapsed as his weak mind faltered. Obviously her new allies were more than just bluster. Seeing and opportunity she darted towards the fallen foe scrambling to tug free his sword. With steel in her hand she felt more confident. She called out to the younger guard, her voice tinted with false concern.

"Give it up Davin. Do it now and I'll keep them from killing you."

Move to W10 and grab the sleeping guards' longsword.

Diplomacy:[roll1]
Intimidate:[roll2]

Not sure which it is or if it's needed...

Taelas
2014-03-19, 03:50 PM
The young guard struggles valiantly with Garth, trying to get away from the larger man.

[roll0]

He fails, somewhat spectacularly.

ellna
2014-03-20, 07:08 AM
Seeing that Davin was restrained for the moment, Hannah kicked the cudgel away from the slumbering guard and rested her blade at his throat. When he awoke, he'd find his plight very real, very real indeed.

5' step into the guard's square.
Ready an attack against the sleeping guard, if he tries to rise or attack, or reach for a weapon or something.

Athaleon
2014-03-20, 09:59 PM
With the guards subdued, Variel moves to place himself between them and the stairs just in case one tried to make a break for it. If the sleeping guard stirred, Variel was in a position to stop him from rising.

"Felt good to get the juices flowing again", a statement he punctuated with a crack of his neck. "Davin, is it?" He fixes the frightened young guard with a stare, and his voice takes on a tone mocking that of a Mitran confesssor. "It's not too late for you. Would you like to know how to be Saved?"

Move Action to go to V13

Standard Action to ready an attack against the sleeping guard.

Variel will start using Intimidate to convince Davin to give them information: [roll0]

Taelas
2014-04-08, 03:36 PM
With both Davin and his older friend subdued, this is victory for the good guys!---err, the bad guys!

You hear the ogre pound on his door from back in his cell, seemingly excited by the sight of you leaving your cell. He seems to have sense enough not to shout out, however.

As you contemplate what to do next, you realize that, while they are out of the fight, the guards could potentially still alert someone by, say, shouting. The staircase leading downstairs is close by, after all. For a battle, the fight was rather quiet.

Tiny
2014-04-09, 06:30 PM
When the fight was over Azara acted quickly and efficiently speaking in a hushed yet icy cold voice. "Get them into our old cell and close the door to the guardroom. We would not want them to try and scream for help now would we? Especially when it would mean we would have to kill them at the first sign of any such attempt.."

Looking over the room in search of something to use as a gag made sure none of the gourds could scream and she assisted Garth in hogtying them. The talk about a key had not escaped her notice either.. And while she looked for suitable gag material she kept her eyes open. Never relinquishing the grip on the horn. Suddenly she realized one more witness had to keep quiet.

Running up to the reinforced cell she addressed the ogre. "Grumblejack, by the grace of the father below we are no longer chained by these mithrans. You could earn your freedom from your chains as well. If you swear to follow our lead and don't do anything rash like screaming.. Who knows.." She smiled. Showing her sharp tusks and looking back toward the two now helpless guards and made flirtatious wink. Her voice took on a strange tone for someone that seemingly regularly threatened to destroy the souls of her enemies, one might even take it as a playful. "You could even get a free meal out of it.. Do you swear by the lord of Hellfire not to betray me in this or would you rather stay for your own execution?" (Always assume guidance for most of her rolls) Magic boosted intimidate to keep the guards on their toes. Intimidate:[roll0]

Perception: [roll1]
And finally a magic guided aid other to help a eventual use rope roll or something simmilar. Aid other [roll2]

And just in case a guidance and a roll for unexpected stuff: [roll3]

Athaleon
2014-04-09, 11:36 PM
While the others look around for a gag, Variel turns back to the guards. After relieving them of their weapons, he gestures back toward the door to the cell block, all the while keeping himself between the guards and the stairwell. Without waiting for a response, he continues with his confessor impression. "You can still Save yourselves. Do exactly as I say, and answer my questions truthfully, and the hounds of Hell may spare you yet."

ellna
2014-04-10, 04:56 AM
Hannah worked to force the guards into their old cell, neither being gentle or kind. Once the guards were secured she simply smiled and waited for them to answer her friends questions. If they didn't, well their would be a lot of pain...

Taelas
2014-04-20, 09:51 AM
Grumblejack, now that you can see him properly, seems to be oddly weakened and rather bruised, likely from abuse from the guards.

http://oi59.tinypic.com/xpvg54.jpg

The ogre manages a grin -- which is directed down at Azara, an unusual situation for one of her height. "Little 'uns are stoopid," he says, nodding at the door. "Dey shouldda kill't me long time ago. I won't scream. I follow you and dis father o' yours. So swears Grumblejack!" He pounds his chest, and his smile widens with anticipation. Despite his show of bravado, you are not sure he would last long against the guards in his current condition,. He also seems rather frightened of Azara's open display of spellcasting.

Athaleon
2014-04-20, 12:37 PM
Meanwhile, Variel takes the guards back to the cell for questioning, and asks the others to chain them up. He tears off a bit of his prison rags and stuffs it in the older guard's mouth to keep him quiet. With that, he turns to the frightened young guard and brandishes his dagger.

"Tell us the truth and I'll leave you here unharmed. Lie to me, and I hurt you. Refuse to talk, and I'll recommend you to Azara's good graces - You remember her, right?"

He let that sink in for a moment before starting with the real questions.

"All right, now real quick. What is the fastest route to the gatehouse? How many guards between here and there?"

Tiny
2014-04-20, 03:04 PM
Azara grinned herself as she studied the tall creature with some admiration. Even if Grumblejack was clearly in a rough shape it was not often she met anyone that could tower over her, and she had to admit it was not an unpleasant thought to have an ogre sworn to Asmodeus guarding her back. Especially when she did not yet know how trustworthy her other companions would prove themselves to be. His apparent respect of her powers was a bit intoxicating as well.

She let her icy gaze wander over his bruised but still muscled frame and caught herself chewing on her lower lip. The blood still flows. "You have chosen well Grumblejack. I bid you welcome in my.." She caught herself and continued as if she had intended the small slip. "..and Asmodeus service." She smiled coyly. "I believe we will have a wonderful time together."

She looked through the key chain she had taken from the guards and tried one at random in the large lock on the door to the reinforced cell. The click as the mechanism turned resounded in her ears and she could not help but chuckle. The first try? Dark father be praised! The blood really does flow.

"Come Grumblejack. Let us pay those guards that beat you a visit and ask them the layout of this prison.. I am sure you would be most helpful in convincing them to talk." Azara joined the others in the big cell and almost as an afterthought she walked up to the human that had gotten them the picks and who had been so adept at wrestling. "Garth. Meet our new acquaintance, Grumblejack. He has sworn to follow our lead in this prison break in exchange for his own freedom." She glanced back towards the ogre. "He has been beaten half to death and my skills are more suited to slaying than healing. But if I remember correctly there was a picture of a bottle on the wail.. It might be one of healing." That window looked strange as well.. "In any regards I would like to examine it more closely with the aid of the father below."

I am going to assume that we found the keys to the cells in the guardroom. Otherwise Azara will ask Variel to pick the lock. Time to see what is up with that darn veil! Spellcraft checks on the Magic veil if Garth is forthcoming, Aided by Detect Magic, Read Magic and guidance. One for each item on the veil?

Spellcraft: [roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

ellna
2014-04-20, 04:33 PM
Having chained the guards Hannah stands just outside of the cell which formerly was hers, watching the guards enjoyment of their reversed roles. She turns her own attention to the newest ally, Grumblejack.

"Let me have a look at him before you give him some alchemical cure-all. Healing and killing are just two sides of the same coin for me."

She approaches the ogre.

"With your permission of course."

Hannah quickly examines the damage Grumblejack had taken at the mercy of the guards and makes a judgement on his health.

Heal:[roll0]

Taelas
2014-04-23, 08:36 AM
The ogre looks down at Hannah then nods, once. It becomes quickly apparent to Hannah that Grumblejack has been drugged or poisoned, leaving him considerably weakened, on top of the beatings he has received.

Davin spills his guts, the words falling out of his mouth so quickly it is difficult to comprehend. "Th-the gatehouse is t'the north," he babbles. "Down the stairs, then out the front door, past the fountain. But I-I can't say how many guards will be between here and there! There's three down in the barracks, off-duty, and there's usually a pair stationed in the hallway by the front doors--"

The other guard begins making noise, trying to speak through the gag. He glares at Davin harshly.

The younger man closes his eyes, whimpering in fear.

ellna
2014-04-23, 09:07 AM
Hannah finishes her examination and her lip curls in disgust. She throws a look at the guards before informing her former cellmates of the verdict.

"They've given our large companion something to keep him complacent. A drug or toxin. I don't think a simple healing potion will do much for him."

Athaleon
2014-04-23, 10:10 PM
Variel drops his mocking tone and his face suddenly takes on a sincere cast.

"Listen, real talk for a moment - I'm not a vindictive man, you've no need to be so fearful. You're doing great so far. The last thing I want to know is, are there any nasty surprises, like a magical barrier or what have you, waiting for us out there?"

Taelas
2014-04-24, 03:49 PM
The guard looks up at Variel, then shudders, clearly not reassured.

"I-I... I don't know!" he stammers. "The Warden is a powerful mage... so I suppose it's... possible?"

He does not look at all certain.

Azara examines the veil, and determines after a few moments that it is a veil of useful items. Aside from the patches already removed -- the Thieves' Tools, the pair of daggers, and the 50-foot coil of hempen rope -- there is a pile of coins, a bullseye lantern, a window, a potion that Azara identifies as a potion of cure light wounds, a bulging sack, and in the center, an unholy symbol that she immediately recognizes as being of Asmodeus.

ellna
2014-04-24, 03:58 PM
Hannah watches the young guard with interest. She quietly talks to her companions.

"Well he is probably telling the truth. The other one might know more, I'm sure I could make him speak. It's only a matter of time really, time and pain. So do you have a plan, do you want to get further answers or should we go? We can avoid the barracks and it shouldn't be much trouble to take the two guards at the front gate."

Hannah's eyes flick over the veil as it gets examined.

"Perhaps placing the window patch on a wall might create a exit? Just a guess on my part."

Athaleon
2014-04-24, 10:32 PM
"I think we should get going, unless anyone has any specific questions?" Variel makes an exaggerated motion to spread his arms and look around at his companions, to invite a question. "Never know when someone'll come looking for these two."

At Hanna's suggestion, he shrugs "Is that a one-use thing? Better save it for when we've got no other option."

Tiny
2014-04-26, 02:37 PM
Dissapointed that the bottle was not something more useful Azara newertheles removed the patch and gave the bottle to Grumblejack. This is not an antidote but it should help you recover enough to be able to fight properly. It seems Garths friend serves the father as well. That bodes well for us.

Turning towards Hannah she eyed the captives with a thoughtful expression. First we should take their uniforms so that we can use it as a disguise that might at least buy us a moments hesitation if we meet more guards. Then we should throw them into the reinforced cell and jam the lock. Unless you want to cut their throaths and be done with it? Either way time is not on our side. We should move as soon as we can. Grumblejack? When you are done with the potion help me guard the stairway. Then she gave back the veil to Garth and took up a garding positon on the side of the stairway. Indicating for the ogre to take the opposite position that they would be able to catch any hapless guard unawares.

Taking up flanking positions with Grumblejack on each side of the staircase and preparing an action to strike anyone that comes out of the staircase.

Taelas
2014-04-27, 03:23 AM
Grumblejack takes the potion eagerly, draining it in one quick gulp. Some of his bruises fade almost immediately, and a cut on his arm is gone. "When's next guards come?" the ogre asks, pointing in the direction of the two imprisoned guards. "New ones come three times a day. Morning, middle of day, and middle of night. Is it time yet? Not feel like middle of night yet."

[roll0]

The staircase does not allow for a flanking position, as half of it is against the wall. Still, the ogre dutifully takes up position next to it.

Standing so close by the enormous fireplace, Azara can hear weak sounds coming from the chimney. It seems to come from below.

ellna
2014-04-27, 07:32 AM
Hannah steps towards the helpless prisoners and smiles.

"Such lovely uniforms. It'd be a shame to get any blood on them."

She rapped her fingers on the stolen blade in her hands thoughtfully. Before turn the pommel on the guards, bludgeoning them until they fell unconscious. She did this with no small amount of anger and energy, relishing each blow she landed on them. Once they slumped she quickly stripped them of their uniforms, to the skin. She did this with an ease that suggested she had done this before. Hannah set the uniforms in two neat piles along with anything else her strip-search had discovered.

Then Hannah simply slit their throats. This done she placed her hands on their throats and chanted until the blood stopped flowing and she was sure they were dead. As she chanted her hands pulsed with a weak red light with the beating of their dying hearts.

"Go now to death, my lady waits, she hungers for your souls, she hungers for your flesh. Urgathoa, hear me, give me strength, make me strong enough to take what I want, what I need. Their life for mine, their weakness shall fuel my strength." *

This done she turns to the others.

"Best you wear the uniforms, don't know if they have women in the guard. Eh Grumblejack. Do you know how to use a blade?"

Hannah walks over to the ogre and offers him the freshly bloodied blade, with a warm conversational smile.

*=Necril

Casting bleed on the guards to ensure they... well bleed out.

Taelas
2014-04-28, 08:38 AM
Each of the guards had the following in their possession:

-chain shirt
-heavy steel shield
-longsword
-leather cudgel (œ non-lethal)
-longbow w/ 20 arrows
-unique key

The ogre frowns at the weapon, studying it. He takes it gingerly. "Too small," he mutters, giving the weapon a few swings. Indeed, in the ogre's fist, the longsword looks more like a big knife, and he can't hold it properly, as the handle is out of proportion compared to his hand. He hands the sword back. "Fists are better."

Tiny
2014-04-28, 11:38 AM
Feeling a pang of jealousy as Hannah talked so relaxed to Grumblejack Azara tried ineffectively to shake the feeling. I can't blame her. Those horns and that rugged beard are quite attractive after all. She remembered Ettrusk and the winter in his cave with some fondness.

Walking over to the fireplace to clear her head she listens intently down the opening to try and make out the conversation. After a while she looks over to her companions and speaks with a lowered voice. "Garth... You are most likely of us to pass as a guard. You, elf, I am going to assume that you know how to use a bow." She pointed at Variel. "I prefer to be close enough to spit the mithrans in the face if needed as I have never grasped the finer points in archery. So I will don the other uniform shield and armor. Unless anyone else feels called to stand in front?" She raises an eyebrow to emphasize the question. If there are no objections she dons one of the uniforms, complete with shield, chainshirt, horn at her hip and cudgel drawn. Muttering silent prayers to help her and Garth look more guard-like. Dark father help me deceive these mithrans and escape this forsaken place. Hoping the guards would not see trough their ruse.

Looking around the room secretly pleased that the Ogre had refused the other woman's gift her eyes caught the well made table and the chairs. "Grumblejack, if those weapons are to small. How about just fashioning a club out of one of those?" She points towards the furniture. "That would fit your hands better would it not?" She flashes a smile similar to that of Hannah's before.

Perception for the fireplace: [roll0]
Edit:I Just read that disguise are supposed to be secret rolls so we dont know how bad rolls we get, sorry.
Disguise(Azara):[roll1]
(If he agrees) Disguise(Garth): [roll2]

Azara thinks they are good enough anyway. :smallwink:

Azaras reasoning is to be in range for murderous command that she already have an impressive ac and to use the fact she has a bite to fall back on (and she sucks at ranged combat). If she and Garth are blocking/tanking Grumblejack, Hannah and Variel should be able to handle killing any foes they encounter.

ellna
2014-04-28, 12:05 PM
Hannah assisted the others in donning the guards armour. The guards' longsword, she gave to whoever took the guards armour. Hannah then walked over the the stairs ready to follow the others when they left.

Hannah is quite happy as without a pointy stick. I can kill them with my faith alone. Also aid another,
Disguise:[roll0]
Disguise:[roll1]

Athaleon
2014-04-28, 11:30 PM
Variel accepted the longbow, and pulled the string back experimentally before nocking an arrow. He grins back at Azara and ventures, "Way I see it, an ignominious death from afar is all they deserve. Let's not linger here any longer, though." He gestures to the newly disguised Garth. "Lead on, guardsman."

Taelas
2014-05-01, 08:08 AM
The ogre shrugs his powerful shoulders. "Dunno how to," he says, noncommitally. "Swinging chair's not better than swinging small sword."

He straightens slightly, stretching. "Fists will do," the giant maintains stoically.

Note: The furniture can't easily be fashioned into weapons. At best, they would still be improvised weapons.

Down the stairs, you find a smaller room, twenty-by-forty feet (which is half the space of the room you just left). There's a door in the north wall; otherwise, the room is bare, save for a sconce with a torch lighting the staircase.

Edited the map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Alk0oZfGjFJxdEw5ZG1PMG8tZV9mSTI2aEVPd1RkM 3c#gid=0).

ellna
2014-05-01, 08:28 AM
Hannah puts her hands behind her back as though they were manacled and prepared to fake being a prisoner of her "guards" if it was required. Besides this she simply waited for those clad in the armour to lead the way, her hands clenching into fists.

Athaleon
2014-05-03, 11:33 AM
Variel suggested "If we're all ready to be rid of this place? You with the disguises, lead on. Signal the rest of us forward if the coast is clear."

ellna
2014-05-05, 02:40 PM
Hannah pushes open the door and stumbles through as though pushed by a guard behind. Once through she continues forward, looking grim and dejected.

Taelas
2014-05-06, 05:20 AM
The corridor ahead is about eighty feet long, and twenty wide. There are two doors on the left hand side and another one on the right, and at the end of the corridor, a pair of great double doors, each flanked by a guard. The room is only lit by two sconces holding torches.

"Who goes there?" calls one of the guards. The other is holding a signal horn similar to the one you took from the two others.

Tiny
2014-05-06, 01:58 PM
Silently Azara mentioned for the others to be ready to dash forward and strike the one with the horn. Leaning on Garth, she wobbles forward bent and clutching her side to disguise her height and face. She answers the guards call with a raspy cough and seems to be in considerable pain "It's me!" *Cough* "Davin." *Cough* "I fell and hurt my chest and I need to get a replacement for the rest of my shift." *Cough, wheeze* "By Mithra is hurts.." *Wheeze* "Could you give me a hand so" *Cough* "over here can go back to the cells?"

Moving forward with Garth and trying to buy time. The name of 'his* fellow guard comes out as just another cough to disguise the fact they newer learned the name of Davins friend.
I guess bluff is the appropriate skill here.
Bluff: [roll0]

EDIT: I LOVE YOU DICE ROLLER!

Taelas
2014-05-07, 02:07 AM
The guards frown. "Why in the holy name of Mitra would you... take the prisoners along...?" the guard not holding the horn begins, trailing off slowly. His eyes go wide. "That ain't bloody Davin!" he shouts, and the other guard gives a start, but then lifts the horn to blow a warning. The first guard draws his cudgel.

Initiative, everyone.

Tiny
2014-05-07, 04:57 AM
I guess the jig is up then. Get them before reinforcements arrive! Azara readies herself for the fight and flight of her lifetime.

Init: [roll0]

ellna
2014-05-07, 09:08 AM
In a frantic attempt to hold off the inevitable, Hannah calls out.

"Wait I paid them, I can pay you. A thousand gold each, just to let us walk."

It was a weak ploy, pathetic really, but it might just buy a few valuable seconds and a few valuable feet closer.

[roll0]

Taelas
2014-05-09, 04:32 AM
Guard
Garth
Grumblejack
Azara
Arianne
Variel
Guard
Norkas
Hannah

Neither guard reacts to Hannah's attempt at stalling them.

The guard with his cudgel drawn charges forward, attacking Hannah, who is furthest into the corridor.
To hit: [roll0]; damage: [roll1] (half non-lethal)
She just manages to side-step the blow.

Garth slips around him to run to the guard with the horn, drawing his sword on the way. He doesn't manage an attack yet, however.

Grumblejack comes barging into the corridor, then slams his sunken knuckles into the guard standing by Hannah, his long arm easily reaching over her head. The guard retaliates, hitting at the ogre's hand with his club, but his swing is wide.
Guard Attack of Opportunity: [roll2]; damage [roll3] (half non-lethal)
Grumblejack unarmed smash: [roll4]; damage [roll5]

Tiny
2014-05-10, 08:57 AM
Azara follows Garth's lead and rushes forward to to repeat the earlier feat of a quick victory. Charging into the frey with a reckless desperate strike. If possible Azara charges the guard by the double doors and tries a disarm manuver on the horn of that guard. Risking a attack of oppertunity. If it is not possibleto get a clear line, turn it into a charge at guard 2 instead. [roll0], If attack [roll1]

Taelas
2014-05-11, 12:21 AM
How are you dealing 1d4+6 damage? Unless I'm mistaken, I believe you should only deal 1d4+4. It doesn't matter much here, since 7 damage is enough to put the guard down when combined with the 5 damage from Grumblejack, but for future reference, I'd like the clarification.

As the guard with the horn is not in a straight line, Azara charges the other guard. She hits easily, and he crumbles to the floor.

Arianne runs up the corridor, but her intended target is too far away for her to affect him with her hexes or spells.

Athaleon
2014-05-11, 01:37 AM
Variel had no clear shot, so he drew his dagger with his right hand and charged into the melee. No time to **** around now that the alarm was out.

Charging to V5 and attacking the guard with his dagger.

To Hit: [roll0]

Taelas
2014-05-14, 10:16 AM
The guard lets out a long, deep blast on the horn. Immediately, you can hear faint sounds of activity from behind the door on the right-hand side of the corridor.

Norkas comes running up the corridor, and noting the sounds, takes position next to the door, next to Hannah.

G3: [roll0]
G4: [roll1]
G5: [roll2]
B: [roll3]

ellna
2014-05-14, 10:27 AM
Hannah swore viscously as the guard managed to sound the alarm, she had been to slow. She turned to face the door, steeping back and drawing her hands into fists. Words of power mustered on her lips, ready to fling at the approaching guards.

Ready action to cast murderous command on the first guard that steps through the door.

Taelas
2014-05-14, 01:50 PM
Garth swings his sword at the guard, cursing under his breath at his failure to stop the blast. The swing is immediately followed up by a bash from his shield. The guard easily dodges the sword, but the dodge places him directly in line with the shield, and he slumps to the floor, dazed, his eyes unfocused.

Attack (sword): [roll0], damage: [roll1]
Attack (shield): [roll2], damage: [roll3]

Grumblejack moves into position at the door, standing behind Hannah.

Tiny
2014-05-14, 03:23 PM
Seeing the guards fall a bit to late from the combined blows of the former prisoners her hart sank. But Azara was not ready to give in to despair just yet. Yes, the alarm had been sounded that was true. But they were armed now and the guards had not managed to seriously hurt any one of them yet and by her count four of the bastards were probably busy apologizing to Mithra in person for their incompetence.

Guessing by the pose Hannah had taken as to what she had in mind, The amoured half-orc smiled and nodded in approval and mimicked her movements. Mowing into a good angle to see into the room if the door opened. Thoughts spinning in her head. The number of guards will count for nothing due to the doorway. In fact they will probably curse their luck they are not alone. The blood still flows my lord!

Azara started to mutter prayers to the lord of hellfire. When that door finally opened, the first guard would be surprised indeed to find a sword.. In his back. She managed a crocked smile despite the chanting.

5 foot step to get a good line of sight and a readied action as following: When the door opens Azara casts murderous command on the second guard she sees. DC 16 [Will]

Taelas
2014-05-15, 09:26 AM
Arianne casts some sort of spell at the guard Garth just knocked silly.

[roll0]

The guard falls to the floor, dead asleep.

Arianne then moves a few steps closer to the door behind which the activity is coming.

Athaleon
2014-05-18, 01:33 AM
Variel bent down and slit the sleeping throat's guard. He had no idea how long the guard would be out for, but he would not risk this one waking up and charging at their backs. then moved up beside the door, dagger in hand. "Let 'em through and take 'em, then we move on."

Sorry for the posting delay, I'm out of town this week.

Taelas
2014-05-18, 10:41 AM
The door suddenly bursts open, and a guard stumbles forward. He is holding a club in his right hand and a belt, scabbard and longsword in the other, to which he also has strapped his shield. He halts abruptly in the door, his eyes wide. He is not wearing armor. Behind him, another guard in a similar state of disarray comes to a sudden stop. It seems they were off-duty relaxing when the horn sounded.

Hannah casts her spell as soon as the door opens, and Azara follows up immediately after.

G3: [roll0]
G4: [roll1]

The first of the two guards succumbs to the spell, but the second shakes it off with seeming ease. With a glazed look in his eyes, he drops the club, draws the sword, drops the belt and scabbard, then rounds on his ally. He is clearly going to attack, and his colleague seems shocked, taking half a step back. Behind the two, a third guard is trotting up, coming from another door deeper inside the room.

Norkas and Grumblejack, who both had been on the verge of storming the guard, hesitate upon the spells being cast, and they hold back.

Garth runs closer, but as everyone is crowding the doorway, stops just outside the group. Arianne moves closer as well, getting ready to cast another spell. The second guard crumbles, his mental defenses overwhelmed this time, falling asleep.

Garth
Arianne
Variel
Hannah
Azara
Guard
Guard
Guard
Grumblejack
Norkas

Athaleon
2014-05-19, 12:21 AM
Variel edges closer to the door, tucking his dagger into his belt and retrieving his longbow and an arrow.

Edit: Couldn't actually attack this turn.

Put away the dagger and moved up beside the doorway, drawing the longbow as part of that move action.

ellna
2014-05-19, 05:03 AM
Hannah smiles broadly showing her teeth to the approaching guards. She raised her fist, shifting her weight into a fighting stance and waited.

Total Defense.

Tiny
2014-05-19, 11:26 AM
Seeing the second guard slump to the floor ready to receive the wrath of his comrade. Azara quickly spoke to Norkas and Grublejack. "He is compelled to strike his friend. Help me kill him when he has done our work for us." She readied herself to pounce on the unsuspecting puppet of Hannah as he carried out his grimm work.

Reading an action to attack the guard E3 after he has attacked the other guard. Attack:[roll0], Damage: [roll1]

Taelas
2014-05-20, 10:11 AM
The guard takes his time to stab his colleague through the throat; he dies immediately.

After this, the guard looks shocked down at what he has done, but only for a moment, for Norkas and Grumblejack take this time to go into action.

Norkas moves in in front of Hannah, spinning on his ankle to deliver a kick to the guard's back.

Attack: [roll0]; damage: [roll1]

Azara moves close to bite the man, but she misses completely. She realizes a moment too late this is because Norkas' kick broke the man down, and he lies unconscious on the floor.

Grumblejack would have hit, but the man is already down.

Guard AoO: [roll2]; damage: [roll3]
Grumblejack: [roll4]; damage: [roll5]

The last of the three guards draws his sword, dropping the club and scabbard by the door, and hurries over to check on the downed man. One glance is enough for him to see the state of him, however, and he glares at the prisoners with fury in his eyes.

Then suddenly the door behind Grumblejack also bursts open, and Sergeant Blackerly comes through, his sword swinging for the ogre.

Attack: [roll6]; damage: [roll7]

Garth
Arianne
Variel
Hannah
Norkas
Azara
Grumblejack
Guard
Sergeant Blackerly

ellna
2014-05-20, 10:51 AM
Hannah steps through the door eager for blood. The guard's fury heighten's her enjoyment of what was soon to be his death. Her hands begin to glow with the gift of her patron as she reaches out for the doomed man.

Using bleeding touch, [roll0] Touch Attack if succesful [roll1] Damage.

Athaleon
2014-05-22, 12:15 AM
Variel grinned savagely at the fat sergeant as he recognized him. "Time to earn your keep, tubby!" he taunted as he loosed an arrow at Blackerly.

I guess I should post since I'm right after the NPCs? Also I might just not be looking hard enough, but I can't find a link to the map.

Tiny
2014-05-22, 05:32 AM
Azara spinns around as the good ser Blackerly storms in. Upon recognition her eyes go wide and her face turn into a mass of open fury and her previous smile breaks down into a hateful sneer, marring her visage. "You will burn Blackerly! You will burn in the fires of my lord! Your hands will blacken to match the state of your cursed soul! Rue the last day of your life! Rue the days you took up arms against the servant of hellfire!" She raises a crocked finger and points straight at him. Cold blue eyes shimmering as if burning with intense heat. "BURN!"

Casting burning disarm at blackerly. Ref save 16 or take [roll0] damage

Taelas
2014-05-22, 08:38 AM
The Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Alk0oZfGjFJxdEw5ZG1PMG8tZV9mSTI2aEVPd1RkM 3c#gid=0)

Garth slips inside the room, attacking the last remaining guard with his sword.

Arianne casts her hex at the guard, after moving closer. Unfortunately, it has no effect.

G5: [roll2]

Hannah's attack misses. Even without his armor, the guard is not quite that defenseless.

Norkas moves into the room as well, leaving the sergeant to the ogre, Azara and Variel. He punches at the guard, but swings wildly.

Attack: [roll3]; damage: [roll4]

Blackerly chooses not to drop his sword, withstanding the pain as it becomes red hot. Lacking a weapon in this situation would be as good as being dead.

The ogre, in the meantime, has turned to face the fat sergeant, and a rumbling laugh comes from the creature. He smashes a fist down at Blackerly, who manages a slash at the ogre's unprotected side.

Attack of Opportunity: [roll5]; damage: [roll6]
Grumblejack: [roll7]; damage: [roll8]

Both hit, but the ogre does decidedly more harm. Blackerly looks quite wounded now, though he's still standing strong. He swings at Grumblejack, but barely misses the giant.

Taelas
2014-05-22, 08:50 AM
(Forgot to start over again... :smallsigh:)

Garth slashes at the guard once more, following it up with a bash from his shield. The slash hits, and he goes down without a word.

MH Attack: [roll0]; damage: [roll1]
OH Attack: [roll2]; damage: [roll3]

Arianne turns to cast her hex at Blackerly this time.

SB: [roll4]

The fat man sways for a moment, then falls to the floor, asleep.

COMBAT OVER! (assuming you take the time to CdG Blackerly, or he'll wake in a round...)

ellna
2014-05-22, 09:11 AM
Hannah smirks, self-assuredly, as the guard falls. Behind her she can her the fat sergeant being dealt with. She moves among the butchered guards, checking pulses and finishing those that still draw breath. Her hands pulsing with violent red light as she coerces their souls into fleeing their broken bodies. She calls out to her allies.

"Anyone hurt?"

She checks over the injuries of her erstwhile colleagues. Binding wounds where she can with blood-soaked strips torn from the dead guards, before she sets to work quickly rummaging through the barracks for any valuables or equipment she can pilfer. She takes the opportunity to strip off her prison tatters and grabs some fresh clothing, donning the armour and sword of a guard when she locates them. Underneath the prison scraps her tattoos continue, running along the soft skin of her back.

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/119/b/c/bc62f6b0f9f5adb3b098ff19a070fb07.jpg (http://exileden.deviantart.com/art/Phoenix-139538752)Casting Bleed on any guard still drawing breath, till they die.
Perception:[roll0]

Tiny
2014-05-22, 02:34 PM
As Blackerly falls Azara acts with a quickness she rarely displayed. Dashing forward and wasting no time disarming the fat man.

"Grumblejack, be a dear and restrain the sad sack of lard before he wakes up. Don't kill him yet though! We should interrogate him about any surprises waiting for us such as the amount of men on guard and that spell casting warden Davin spoke of."

She takes a quick glance into the room the sergeant came from before shouting out to her comrades again. "Garth? Could you and Arianne guard the main door and make sure we are not taken with our pants down like the guards were so we have time to arm and armor ourselves fully?"

Perception: [roll0]

Taelas
2014-05-23, 10:50 AM
Grumblejack reaches down and yanks Blackerly to his feet, and the man wakes up immediately. The ogre has both arms around the man, pinning the his arms to his sides.

The sergeant immediately begins to struggle. He manages to free one hand, and he quickly pulls out a flask from his belt, which he uncorks by biting the cork and spitting it out. He then swallows the potion, and some of his bruises fade.

[roll0]

He then proceeds to struggle more violently, attempting to get out of the ogre's grasp.

[roll1]

His efforts are a success, and he starts running off, seemingly not in the mood to fight any longer.

Tiny
2014-05-23, 12:40 PM
Azara's jaw almost dropped open as Blackerly displayed a surprising ability for wrestling ogres. Catching herself staring she quickly sprung into action. "Get him! Do not let him rally more troops!"

She threw herself against the fat man hoping to buy them time to surround and subdue him.
In case of AAO: try to grapple the fat man. [roll0]
on Azaras turn try and trip the sergeant. [roll1]

Athaleon
2014-05-24, 11:56 AM
Following Azara's attempt to tackle Blackerly to the ground, Variel loosed another arrow at him. It would have been good to take him alive, but dead would suffice just fine.

Taelas
2014-05-24, 02:18 PM
"I can't hex him again!" Arianne cries, her hands curling into fists. Garth comes running out, moving out in front of Blackerly, to cut him off. He levels a vicious slash at the man, clearly not trying to subdue him, simply kill him.

Norkas comes running immediately after, jumping up high to level a kick at Blackerly's shoulder.

Garth's attack hits, but Norkas misses.

Attack: [roll2]; damage: [roll3]

Azara misses catching the sergeant, and Variel's arrow hits the wall just behind the fat man.

Roaring, Grumblejack reaches out to try and grab hold of the sergeant again.

CMC: [roll4]

He succeeds, and this time, the fat man sags, all fight gone out of him. "Please don't kill me," he pleads, his voice shaking, and tears start running down his chubby cheeks.

Athaleon
2014-05-24, 05:02 PM
Variel

"Come along, fatty, and play nice: You might just live through this night. Order any guards in our way to stand down, and steer us clear of any nasty surprises that may be in store."

Taelas
2014-05-25, 01:39 PM
The two guards you killed in the corridor have:

-chain shirt
-longsword
-heavy steel shield
-leather club
-longbow with 20 arrows
-unique key

The three in the room with the tables and benches have
-longsword
-heavy steel shield
-leather club
-unique key

Perhaps the remainder of their gear is in the room they came from, just to the north?

Blackerly's gear:
-chainmail
-masterwork longsword (which Azara took)
-sergeant's uniform
-30 gp
-key ring

ellna
2014-05-25, 03:36 PM
Hannah enters the room to the north, which she presumes to be a bunkhouse of some sort, wary for any straggles, but eager to change out of her prison rags. Outside she could hear Blackerly blubbering, but he could wait, she had faith in her allies.

Hannah enters the room to the north of the tables and benches and searches it.

Taelas
2014-05-26, 09:35 AM
Inside the room, Hannah sees a few cots, and a dozen chests (presumably the guards' belongings). It seems this is the barracks, and those three guards were off-duty.

Tiny
2014-05-26, 11:28 AM
Azara held her new sword to the sergeants throat.

She narrowed her eyes and spat on the floor. "We are taking him hostage.

Grumblejack? Would you mind carrying him and use him as a club if he tries anything funny."

"Remove his armor and bind his hands and feet Garth.
We would not want to have any stray arrows to have go through iron if his friends open fire at us."

Azara stared into the sergeant's eyes and took a measure of the man who had branded her.

"Tell us how many guards there are in Branderscar at the moment? Where do you keep your supplies? Tell us of the warden and all your ways to bar an escape and we will let you go after we have left this place."

Diplomancy?[roll0]
Intimidate?[roll1]

ellna
2014-05-26, 12:17 PM
Hannah smiles and rummages through the chests of the deceased guards, quickly stripping out of her prison tatters and redressing in fresh clothing. She grabs a sword, shield and armour and rejoins the others.

"We keeping him alive, shame. I'm sure he's got a lot of blood."

Taelas
2014-05-26, 01:04 PM
The chests are all locked.

Garth nods, and with Grumblejack's help pulls the uniform and the chainmail off of the sergeant. After a moment, Garth decides to don the sergeant's armor and uniform. "It's ill-fitting," he says, closing his belt another notch, "but maybe it'll help. Besides, the armor's decent." He ties Blackerly's hands together deftly on the man's back, and his feet as well, giving him about a foot of shuffle-room. "Wouldn't wanna carry the fella -- even Grumblejack here deserves better than this fat bastard's stench all over him," the former captain says, a sneer on his lips.

Grumblejack chuckles, a deep bass rumble.

He gives the sword Azara is holding a glance. "I'd be better off with that, too. No offense, but that's a mighty fine blade you've got there, and you look like you might cut off your own foot swinging that around."

Blackerly is staring at Azara with fear in his eyes, but he puts up a blustering front. "There're over three dozen guards in the prison!" he spits. "But the armory is over there. The rest of the supplies are back through the door I came from." He nods his head at the door up the corridor on the left-hand side. "The keys are in my ring. But you won't get away with this. My men'll catch you and you scum'll be thrown back in your shackles, if we don't hang you outright!"

He growls in his throat, then continues. "Warden Richter's a powerful wizard, but he keeps to his tower. The big one, to the south. He prefers reading to actual work. There's only one way off the island: the bridge. You could also jump from one of the towers," he adds, suddenly grinning grimly, "but you'd never survive the fall. Even if you did, the current's rather nasty, round 'ere--you'd drown, like the miserable rats you are."

For all his bluster, he's talking rather a lot. Of course, he could still be lying...

Tiny
2014-05-26, 02:39 PM
Azara hands the sword to Garth with the hilt first. "Take it. I much prefer axes, and the good sergeant spoke of an armory." She smiled at Blackerly, or rather, showed him her teeth studying the fat mans face.

"Three dozen guards you say? Awfully few showed up when the alarm was sounded.. Are you sure you are counting them right?"

Sense motive: [roll0] actually 18 with Guidance

She pushes the sergeant in front of her back the way he had came from. She gently placed a hand on Grumblejacks arm. "Be a dear and keep him in check while we search the room. Perhaps there are more healing potions in here. Then we will search the armory for something you might use instead of fists to kill these "three dozen guards"." She was not to sure there were that many men in Branderscar.

Having searched the room using Blackerlys keys to check drawers and chests they proceeded to the armory to look for useful equipment. Always with Blackerly in striking distance.

Perception:[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]

ellna
2014-05-26, 03:00 PM
Hannah smiled menacingly at Blackerly as the good sergeant spilled what he knew. She had to admire Azara's talents at making the plump guard quiver and shake, though a small part of her wished that just one would put up a fight.

[roll0]

"Only three dozen, I'm not sure my lady will look so kindly on such a pitiful offering. At least this warden might be a satisfying treat."

Taelas
2014-05-26, 03:37 PM
[roll0]

There's nothing about him that indicates he's lying. Either he's a damn good liar, or he's telling the truth.

The first room seems to be Blackerly's office. It's a plain affair with a single cluttered desk and a couple of chairs, and a pair of sconces holding torches for light.

There are two additional doors: one in the western wall and one in the north wall.

"Supplies are in there," Blackerly says, gesturing with his bound hands at the northern door.

Athaleon
2014-05-26, 10:05 PM
Variel just grunted at the Sergeant's attempted bravado. "I might cut you just a little, so you'll bleed out only if you don't get timely help. Your men love you, don't they Blackerly?" The elf abruptly shifted to a more thoughtful tone. "After we escape, your paymasters might get to wondering how it happened. Men would scramble to cover their arses with one hand and point fingers with the other. But you were doing your duty, to the best of one man's abilities." Variel put his arm around the Sergeant and leaned in close, as though he was conspiring with his one-time gaoler. "You were wounded in the line of duty, trying to stop us. A good scar for the ladies, nothing serious in truth", he hastened to add. "The blame rests on... whomever you would like. Maybe we had a man on the inside, in whose footlocker they'll find a fat purse of coin. But it'll only work if we get out of here unseen."

Taelas
2014-05-29, 05:00 AM
The sergeant sends Variel a look of utter disgust. "I don't need yer coddling, scum," he growls. "No one gets the best of Tomas Blackerly. No one!"

Inside the supply room, you find hundreds of torches, ten lanterns, two kegs of lantern oil (probably around 10 gallons each), six spare guard uniforms, a dozen signal horns, twenty or so 50' lengths of rope, and two barrels labeled 'emergency rations'. Opening the barrels reveals moldered iron rations. Perhaps they are still edible, though.

In a special rack, you also find several brands with the same runic F symbol and a special brazier for heating them. You immediately recognize these as the brands that marked you as forsaken.

Hannah can scrounge up seven of the keys from the guards you've killed so far. Opening the seven of the chests where the keys fit, she finds

-A collection of cheap, tawdry, crudely printed books about dashing heroes, daring-do and amply-bosomed damsels prone to fainting and outdoor bathing (no resale value).
-A small coin pouch with 3 gp in miscellaneous coinage.
-A bottle of whiskey without label.
-A change of peasant clothes.
-A collection of letters from home. Poignant, but ultimately worthless.
-A whetstone, cleaning supplies for a chain shirt, extra bowstring, and a small book of military regulations.
-Hidden under peasant garb are two decks of cards (one regular, one marked) and a bag of 12 gp worth of mixed coinage.

There is still the door to the west in Blackerly's office, as well as the door the sergeant named as the armory in the corridor. There is also a door in the southern wall of the mess hall, presumably leading to the kitchen.

ellna
2014-05-29, 05:42 AM
Hannah rummages through the chests, reading the letters lacklusterly before shredding them and letting the scraps tumble into the pooling blood. She pockets the pair of decks, happy to have pockets once again, though the itchy clothing was far from perfect. Inside the supply room Hannah picks up a brand and spins it experimentally watching the sergeant with malice in her eyes.

"Enough lamp oil here to make some fun, we could take a couple of barrels to the wardens tower and choke him with the smoke, maybe make a bonfire with the dead. Blackerly could take the spot of honour, I bet he would taste delicious. I say we grab what weapons we can from the armoury and carve up the rest of the guards."

Hannah rests the brand in the heating brazier, allowing the iron to become red-hot. While it heats she goes to open the armoury...

Athaleon
2014-06-01, 03:49 PM
Variel simply shrugged at Blackerly's rebuff. "Worth a try."

He asks the others anxiously, "Are we going, or are we checking their spare pants' pockets for coppers?"

Tiny
2014-06-05, 10:13 AM
"Not the pants, and not for coppers." Azara chuckles at Variel's comment.

"Let' see what they have stored in that armory of theirs...." Then almost as an afterthought. "Then let us set that on fire along with the wizards tower." A grim smile creeping across her features.

Taelas
2014-06-08, 01:52 AM
Blackerly snorts in laughter. "Set it on fire? This is a stone fort, scum! Ain't enough lamp oil in all of Talingarde to burn down stone!"

You approach the door to the armory, finding it locked. A key on Blackerly's ring fits. On opening the door, you find the room utterly black, as there is no light source inside. Someone grabs a torch, and soon you can see.

Inside, you find enough gear to equip another six guards with chain shirt, longsword, longbow, and heavy steel shield. There is also a dozen more leather-wrapped clubs, and around a dozen quivers with 20 arrows in each. All of them (save the clubs and the arrows) bear the mark of Talingarde upon them.

There is also a random assortment of weapons that have been confiscated over the years. There is a women's metal comb fashioned into a shiv, a heavy mace, a spear, a quarterstaff, a battleaxe, a rapier, a greatsword, a trident, and a glaive. They are unmarked.

ellna
2014-06-08, 05:30 AM
Hannah snarls and punches Blackerly across the jaw, hard enough to scrape the skin from her knuckles.

"There is enough for your sorry ass though. So do save your breath for screaming when the flames lick your toes."

Once inside the Armoury Hannah quickly discards the longsword in favour of the heavy mace. The comb-shiv brought a smile to her and she quickly wound her into a tight bun and stuck the comb in, as a hair pin. She then gives the mace a cursory swing before smiling to her allies.

"Well I'm ready to reap some more of these slack-jawed weaklings."

Athaleon
2014-06-08, 07:34 PM
"Anyone who can shoot, grab a bow and arrows. Variel took for himself an extra quiver. "I doubt this mail would fit me... Oh, hello." Variel found the rapier, drew it, and gave it a few practice thrusts. Nodding, he sheathed it and attached the scabbard to his belt.

Tiny
2014-06-09, 04:12 AM
Azara spit in Blackerly's face."Last time I checked the support beams were made of wood." She stared into his sweaty face and peered into his beady bloodshot eyes with her own. "Learn when to shut your mouth. Her idea of roasting you slowly, sure sounds more and more appealing by the minute." Looking over the assorted weapons and armor her she walks forward grabs a crude looking axe and sighs. "To small.." She mutters before belting it anyway. Then he sorts through the remaining weapons and decides on the unmarked spear. "Good enough to stick a noisy pig with." She looks to Blackerly as she utters the words.

Finally she taps her chin, grabs the greatsword, the trident and the glaive and walks up to Grumblejack. With a flirtatious smile she offers the items to the ogre. "I come bearing gifts. Anything that strikes you fancy?"

When everyone has chosen their new equipment she beacons them to leave the armory. Promptly shuts the door locks it and walks up to Blackerlys office. Tests the different keys until she finds one that fits and enters. "You probably have something in here that could be worth our time... Any more of those healing droughts that you drank earlier?" She proceeds to search the room.

What general points of interests are there in the room? If there is a desk or something she searches through that. Any places that could hide an hidden escape route? etc..

Taelas
2014-06-09, 07:22 AM
Blackerly spits out a mouthful of blood, but he seems heartened. "You idiots don't know what you are doing, do you? The Warden'll catch you, you'll see." He grimaces when Azara spits in his face, clearly disgusted.

The room just off the hallway -- next to the storeroom -- is the office. There is a desk there, covered in papers.

The ogre tilts his head, scratching his hair. "Soz, little 'un. They's too small," he says apologetically after having studied the weapons for a moment. He points at the spear. "I can use that. But is small."

The ogre is only proficient in simple weapons, and these are all inappropriately sized for him. He would take a cumulative penalty for non-proficiency and sizing.

The door Azara opens leads into what seems to be Blackerly's private quarters. The sergeant glares at Azara, then mutters, "There's a bottle of whiskey in the wardrobe."

The room is slovenly kept, with a bed, a small table and wardrobe. They contain Blackerly's personal effects, which are largely worthless. There's a bottle of rotgut whiskey in the wardrobe just as the man claimed. "It's my medicine," the man complains wretchedly.

Under the bed, Azara finds an iron strong box, which rattles quite a bit as she drags it out. Blackerly curses softly under his breath, shutting his eyes tight. After fiddling for a few moments with the key ring, she finds the right key and opens the box. Inside is another case of rotgut whiskey, a dozen bottles. It is also filled with coins -- platinum, gold, silver, coppers. Blackerly is rich, it seems -- far, far too rich for a man of his standing. Obviously the man has been stealing from the prison.

The sergeant seems utterly defeated as Azara opens the box.
"Whoa!" Garth lets out when he sees the coins. "Looks like our sergeant here's been a naughty boy, eh?"

There seems to be nothing else in the room.

ellna
2014-06-09, 10:23 AM
"Looks like the good Sergeant here is buying us all a round of drinks when we get out of here. Good thing we're all honest criminals here, else we might of had to report him to the authorities."

Hannah laughs, smiling broadly. She is clearly enjoying the sergeant's discomfort.

"Shame he ain't got no more health pots, but I guess that'll be fine if he's walking us out the front door, like a good little hostage. Well I think we've got everything worth getting, shall we proceed."

Athaleon
2014-06-09, 11:02 AM
"Ain't that a shame, Sergeant? If you'd taken me up on my offer, you could have led us right past your retirement fund." Variel grinned wickedly. "But hey - At least you still have your health."

Tiny
2014-06-09, 06:41 PM
Azara looks down at her new axe and mutters. Before giving the spear to the ogre. These Mithrans make everything to small... But it is still better than having the guards cut your hands when you punch them. Take it with my blessing.

She smiled at the hidden stash and Blackerlys defated look. The blood still flows my lord. Then she walked over to the desk and looked over the papers. Yes, Hannah. We really should get a move on.. But first lets see if there might be a map of the surrounding area or anything like that in this pile of trash.

He is a commander after all! There should be some interesting papers here. A list of suplies etc.

Taelas
2014-06-10, 04:34 PM
The paperwork is mostly uninteresting, but after about a minute of searching, Azara finds what seems to be a map of the prison.

http://i.imgur.com/gg0ffQL.png

The map is marked with what seems to be guard stations. At the guard house by the gate (1), on top of the gatehouse (3), patrolling the battlements (6), as well as the great hall entry way (8), the barracks (9), and the guard room (17), though you have already dealt with those.

Tiny
2014-06-10, 07:10 PM
With a look of triumph and a chuckle. Azara pulls the map from the pile and glosses over the markings waving the others over to her side. Careful not to let Blackerly out of her sights for any extended amount of time.

"What do you think? Judging from this and the amount of beds you saw in the barracks Hannah, there can't be that many guards left. Those that did not respond to the horn are probably still up here on the battlements or in the tiny guardhouse at the end of the bridge.." She points at the map to emphasize her points.

"Hmm...The warden sure looks lonely in that tower of his I must say.. and there seems to be a back door going out from the kitchen that we could use to get a more direct path there.." She studies the map more closely. "We should be able to silence him before he can rally the survivors. Thoughts?"

She grins wickedly."I say a dead mage is a good mage. And one that can't follow us later. Besides I have a score to settle with the bloody Mithrans." Her F shaped wound makes sure to remind her of that.

ellna
2014-06-11, 09:16 AM
Hannah smiles wickedly, her thoughts tantalised by imagined screams and thick flames.

"My thoughts are we kill him, the mage, this warden might actually put up a decent fight. We can hit him now and swiftly I doubt his art will do him much good when he's drowning in his own blood. The real question is do we really need Blackerly, the fat pig seems to have only one use left... meat!"

At the last she bares her teeth at Blackerly, her delicate features contradicting the viscous smile that sits on her lips.

Athaleon
2014-06-12, 09:43 AM
"Might as well deal with this wizard on our own terms", Variel agreed at length. "I hear it takes them time to prepare their spells, so better to catch him in bed than for him to catch us. Blackerly's too useful a hostage to kill just yet. Gag him so he don't wake up the mage."

Taelas
2014-06-13, 05:54 PM
Garth nods. "All right then. But before we go anywhere, we should find something to transport all this money in. Wasn't there a sack on that veil thing?" the former captain asks.

Blackerly stays despondently silent.

Tiny
2014-06-14, 10:59 AM
Azara rolls up the map and put it in her belt. "I believe you are right regarding that Garth let us see what is still left on that thing." As she studies the veil she sees the bag and begins to remove it but then her attention is drawn to the symbol of her dark lord. The blood still flows! So he he had a hand in this! She pulls at both patches hand removes them from the cloth. With the sack in hand she goes and fills it with the contents of Blackerly's chest. "Thank you for your generous donation Blackerly." She studies the other object before showing it to the group. "Comrades! It seems we have been blessed indeed! Garth must have powerful friends indeed to warrant that visit earlier for this is the sign of my dark father. Lord of hellfire and power incarnate!"

I had forgotten about the veil. :smallredface: Doesn't clerics require holy symbols to channel? Perhaps Hannah can use this one?

Taelas
2014-06-15, 02:38 AM
As soon as Azara pulls the patch of the sack from the veil, she realizes it is already full. Inside, she finds common spell components (equivalent to a spell component pouch) as well as an outfit for each of them, sized for them.

The symbol of Asmodeus is made of silver.

Athaleon
2014-06-16, 11:10 PM
Variel was glad of his zealous new friends' benefactors, but he was getting impatient to get going. He wasn't quite able to hide the sarcasm in his voice as he joked "Let us make haste, then - Asmodeus hungers!"

ellna
2014-06-18, 06:27 AM
Hannah looks at the holy symbol with a wistful gaze, without a proper conduit to Urgathoa, her power was limited. She took the five-pointed star from Azara, before walking over to one of the fresh corpses. Hannah began to peel a bloodied mass of flesh from the corpse, doing her best to carve it into shape of a fly. In the end she settled for a rough flap of skin, with two smaller flaps for wings. It wasn't pretty, but perhaps Urgathoa would look kindly on the sentiment. The point's of Asmodeus star served as a suitable scaffold to hold the charnel symbol. Then Hannah did something she had never done before, prayed to Asmodeus. She clasped her hands and knelt before the brutalised corpse.

"Lord Asmodeus, forgive this slight. Though I serve another, we both seek now to let the blood flow freely. Allow this humble servant of Urgathoa save passage to the will of her lady."

Then Hannah clutched at the brutal effigy she had constructed.

"Urgathoa, lend me you strength now though I am weak. Lend me you power so I might use it. Lend me you hunger so that I might eat."

Hannah then stood and wiped her bloody hands on the dead man at her feet before returning back to the others, ready to proceed to the wizards' tower.

Unholy symbol of Urgathoa?

Taelas
2014-06-20, 12:00 PM
As Hannah prays to the Prince of Darkness, she is filled with a vague sense of unease. Cold shivers run down her spine. She receives no direct reply. The symbol of Asmodeus grows hot, a small trail of smoke rising from the flesh it touches.

The feeling she gets when she prays to Urgathoa is one she recognizes immediately; the Pallid Princess has acknowledged her prayer. It seems the effigy will serve as a makeshift unholy symbol to her patron, at least for now. The Asmodeus star is still uncomfortably warm.

ellna
2014-06-21, 07:54 AM
Hannah allows the heated metal to rest uncomfortably against her bare skin, hanging the gruesome symbol around her neck and tucking beneath her pilfered clothes.

"It seems Urgathoa answers, let us press on."

To the wizards tower... via kitchens right?

Athaleon
2014-06-22, 10:13 PM
Variel lost his joking mood and was visibly becoming quite impatient. "If you're done bothering your gods? Those of you in uniforms move up, and signal the rest of us if it's clear."

Tiny
2014-06-23, 06:22 PM
Noticing the tension in his voice Azara realized that they had stayed to long. She tossed the spell components to the witch and grabbed the chest of coin and looked at the assembled criminals. "You are right Variel. Let us make haste. Could you carry this on your back Grumblejack?" She gave the big ogre her most seductive smile. But it could as well has been a show of dominance as she mentioned for him to grab the chest. Most sane people knew little to nothing about the intricacies of how orcs and ogres flirted .

Then she followed the others towards the kitchen and the waiting wizard.

Taelas
2014-06-25, 09:13 AM
The ogre grumbles a laugh. "I can do this thing," he says, nodding, and he swings the chest up on one shoulder, the coins rattling inside. "Maybe bash little 'uns with it, eh?"

Garth nods and walks on ahead, opening the door to the kitchen. Immediately you hear a muffled gasp from inside the room, and the former soldier lifts his new sword threateningly.

"It's clear," he says over his shoulder. "Just a couple of servants."

Inside the kitchen, you find the usual collection of plates, bowls and other cooking paraphernalia. Cowering in one corner are a pair of servants. The woman is huddling in a ball, shuddering in fear. The man, rather large of size, is sheltering her with his arms, glancing fearfully at the door. "Please!" he says, "We're no threat to you. Just leave us be; we won't betray you!"

The fireplace is almost comically large (a relic of the old castle great hall), and there is a fire burning there. Around the room there is quite a bit of food, though not much of it is suitable for travel. (There are equivalent to fifty days' worth of food rations here, with about ten days' worth being iron rations, and the rest perishable.)

There are also six large knives and a long meat cleaver spread around on the counters. (The knives are equivalent to daggers, and the meat cleaver is equivalent to a short sword.)

Athaleon
2014-06-28, 02:31 PM
In his excitement at the prospect of escape, Variel had forgotten how famished he was. He threatened the cowering servants with his sword, ordering them to "Stay still, and stay quiet, and you'll live." With that, he went to a table and downed several bites of the food that had been laying around. Afterwards, he grabbed a tablecloth and bundled up whatever non perishable food was within ready reach. "Might need these, my lady, he explained to Azara in a clear voice. "Your man on the ship had better not take too long picking us up from the island." He hoped his companions got the picture.

ellna
2014-06-30, 05:59 AM
"Live? Do we need extra hostages... Really."

Hannah stands close to the cowering cooks, her mace held threateningly. She looks at her companions judging their reactions. It's clear Hannah doesn't care for wasting time dealing with securing additional prisoners.

Taelas
2014-07-02, 01:32 PM
Garth shrugs. "Up to you."

He doesn't seem to care one way or the other.

The two servants cower further into the corner when Hannah casually threatens them, the woman sobbing loudly.

Tiny
2014-07-02, 03:37 PM
Quickly deducing Variels ploy for a wild goose chase. Azara waves away the question as if it is of little importance. "The ship will head to Yutak in a couple of hours and the food might indeed come in handy during the voyage.. In any case we will leave this stinking pit behind. " Looking around the room as if the servants did not even exist. "Do what you will Hannah. Try not to waste to much time. Now where is that door.."

ellna
2014-07-03, 06:06 AM
Hannah smiles menacingly at the cowering servants, the only shame here was that she couldn't savour their terror. Hannah glanced at sergeant Blackerly coyly.

"Don't let them worry, tell them It'll be OK. You wouldn't let any harm befall them."

With that Hannah laughed cruelly and proceeded to set apon the helpless cooks, swinging the heavy mace in a lethal hammer-stroke.

I'm assuming I don't have to roll to murder helpless cooks? Anyhow corpses made Onwards, through the back door.

Athaleon
2014-07-04, 01:24 AM
Variel sighed. At least one of the psychotic women with him understood what he was trying for. He rushed forward to help silence them before they could shout a warning.

Taelas
2014-07-09, 02:35 AM
The door is exactly where the map says it should be.

Hannah has no problems dispatching the servants; one blow to the head each is all it takes.

Athaleon
2014-07-09, 05:54 PM
"Onward and upward. That sorcerer isn't going to kill himself, Variel muttered. "Lead on," he tersely waved his uniformed compatriots to the door. He'd come back for the food later. Truth be told, he didn't know what the plan was after escaping, but one step at a time.

Tiny
2014-07-13, 11:08 AM
Tapping one of her tusks in thought as the servants are bludgeoned to death. Those two certainly wont betray us now us at least. Azara carefully watched Blackerlys reaction to see if this would trigger an escape attempt from the overweight man.

Then she walked up to the ogre and gently placed a hand on his lower back. She saught his gaze and gave him a toothy smile. "Grumblejack? We don't know how far we will have to run when we finally get out of here... Grab what food you can find that and put it in the chest along with the valuables." She turned to Norkas. "Check the door if the coast is clear. When we are done with the food in here we get the wardens head." Finaly she proceeded to search the room for any hidden valuables or curious items. Stopping by the bloody bodies of the two servants to check it they had any concealed jewelry on them.

Sense motive: [roll0]
Perception: [roll1] Searching the corpses and any containers for things like oil, potions or hidden coins. etc.

Taelas
2014-07-18, 11:25 PM
Norkas nods, and leaves to examine the door and peer through it.

Grumblejack starts shoving food at random into the chest, occasionally eating something particularly tempting.

The servants have nothing of value, and Azara finds nothing hidden about the room.

"Way out looks clear," Norkas announces, and he, Garth and Arianne go outside.

Athaleon
2014-07-19, 11:23 PM
Variel nodded and slipped silently forward, to the door of the Warden's tower. He took a quick look around before examining the handle.

Some rolls, in case they're needed to open this door:

Disable Device: [roll0]

Stealth: [roll1]

Tiny
2014-07-22, 04:04 PM
Before she followed the others out Azara made a gag out of a dirty kitchen cloth and proceeded to gag Blackerly with it. "It would not do to warn the warden now would it? It would ruin the surprise and make me very disappointed in you..." She showed her teeth in what was much more savage then an ordinary smile. The intent was clear and if it was a hidden threat it was so remarkably badly hidden that a blind dead mouse could have found it.

Having made herself clear. She exited the kitchen put her mind and senses on high alert to spot any patrols or stray guards encroaching on their position.

ellna
2014-07-25, 04:33 AM
Hannah smiles as the servants blood splatters free from their flimsy skulls. The elation quickly fades though as she moves with her companions, pausing only to purloin the long meat cleaver. Hannah is relatively sure that she can put it to some savage use later. As they try the door leading to the warden's tower Hannah is sure to keep a wary eye on the now gagged sergeant.