PDA

View Full Version : Offsets for DrcGraft HP cost on a DFA?

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-02-23, 11:58 AM
Anyone have some good ideas for offsetting the HP cost of Draconic Grafts for a Dragonfire Adept?

Zaq
2014-02-23, 12:07 PM
DFAs are basically CON-SAD anyway. How much HP do you really need?

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-02-23, 12:44 PM
DFAs are basically CON-SAD anyway. How much HP do you really need?

Since you ask, preferably at least 26 additional.

Zaq
2014-02-23, 02:09 PM
Well, the solution to the puzzle of more HP is, basically, more CON. I played a DFA a few years ago, and even though I slapped a few grafts on him, he still had way, way more HP than anyone else in the party, including the Crusader. Being CON-SAD does that to you. He wasn't great at dodging hits (staying out of the way, sure, but his AC sucked), but man, could he ever soak one! He wasn't even a hyper-optimized race; he got a +2, sure, but given that you can pretty easily get up to +6 with LA 0, that's nothing, right? Speaking of that, if you're not already a CON-optimized race and the character isn't already well-established, you could swap to one if you really want to. Mongrelfolk (Races of Destiny) get +4 CON, and you can slap the Dragonborn of Bahamut template on darn near anything for an easy (stackable!) +2 CON.

Anyway, Draconic Toughness gives you an infinitely-refreshable pile of THP, so that's an option. You'll basically never use it in combat, but it lasts all day, so just use it between encounters and start every encounter off with +CL THP. That's probably the easiest method. You won't get +26 unless DFAs have access to CL boosters I don't know about, but depending on how close to full you heal between encounters on a normal basis, that's still pretty darn nice.

Is there something weird you're doing where you need your HP to be a specific number, or are you just unwilling to pay the cost of the graft?

I mean, there are a few other methods you could use: [Improved/Azure] Toughness, Shape Soulmeld: Vitality Belt (though without a meldshaper level, that's not much good), Stone Power if for some reason you actually attack, Shape Soulmeld: Rageclaws or another way of staying upright below 0 HP, items that give THP, and so on. But few, if any, of them are actually very efficient.

Artillery
2014-02-23, 02:25 PM
Could you give us level you will be at, grafts your getting etc. What are the base stats you rolled and if you have race decided yet.

If you are lvl 8 or higher it won't be hard to offset it with great con.

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-02-23, 03:09 PM
I'm taking a pseudodragon, we will be starting at 5th so I won't even have a level of DFA until I hit sixth. I am not wedded to the idea of Grafts, I am just considering thier value for the future. LA buyoff will be allowed.

ST5 CN20 DX16 IN14 WS9 CH13

Flaws: Hot-Blooded, Short Attention Span

Feats: Alertness, Weapon Finesse(B), Guerilla Warrior, Flyby Attack

EQ: Twisted Silk Barding, Wyrmfang Amulet, Ring of Feather Falling

Planned Invocation: Magic Insight
Planned Feat: Entangling Exhalation

Artillery
2014-02-23, 04:23 PM
I'm taking a pseudodragon, we will be starting at 5th so I won't even have a level of DFA until I hit sixth. I am not wedded to the idea of Grafts, I am just considering thier value for the future. LA buyoff will be allowed.

ST5 CN20 DX16 IN14 WS9 CH13

Flaws: Hot-Blooded, Short Attention Span

Feats: Alertness, Weapon Finesse(B), Guerilla Warrior, Flyby Attack

EQ: Twisted Silk Barding, Wyrmfang Amulet, Ring of Feather Falling

Planned Invocation: Magic Insight
Planned Feat: Entangling Exhalation

Are you set on Pseudodragon? There are other comparable Dragons that might work better for you in the same level range.

I did the math to figure out racial modifiers
Tiny Size gives -8 str, +4 dex, -2 con, +2 ac and +2 to hit

Pseudonatural Dragon is 2HD/+3 LA ECL5, Neutral
Racially gives +4 str, +4 con, +2 wis, +4 NA
Total result is -4 str, +4 dex, +2 con, +2 wis, + 4NA, Tiny Size.
Fly speed is 60ft(good), Land speed 15ft
Telepathy 60ft, Spell Resistance 19, Blindsense 60ft

From Dragons of Faerun
Mercury Dragon is 3HD/+2LA ECL5, Chaotic Good
Racially gives +8 strength, +4 con, +2 NA
Total result +4 dex, +2 con, +2 NA, Tiny Size
Fly Speed 200ft(perfect), Land Speed 60ft
immunity to Fire, vulnerability to cold, immunity to blind or dazzle
Breath Weapon 1d8 fire line 60ft every 1d4 rounds

Mist Dragon is 3HD/+2LA, Neutral
Racially gives +8 str, -4 dex, +4 con, +2 NA
Total result +2 con, +2 NA, Tiny Size
Fly Speed 100ft(Average), Land speed 40ft, Swim speed 60ft
Immunity to Fire. Immunity to Acid
Breath Weapon 2d6 cone of steam for fire dmg every 1d4 rounds
Mist Form(Gaseous Form)

From Sharn: City of Towers
Spiretop Dragon is 2HD/+2LA ECL4, Chaotic Good
Racially gives +4 str, +4 dex, +4 con, -4 int, -2 cha, +2 NA
Total result -4 str, +8 dex, +2 con, -4 int, -2 cha, +2 NA, Tiny Size
Fly Speed 60ft(good), Land speed 10ft, Climb speed 10ft
Blindsense 60ft, Evasion
Breath Weapon: Fog Cloud as CL3 Sorcerer every 1d4 rounds

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-02-23, 04:25 PM
DM won't allow those other dragons.

Mithril Leaf
2014-02-23, 08:32 PM
So why specifically are you set on being a dragon?

Why not for example, a Proto Arctic Dragonborn Ooze Paragensi? That could get you 30 HP bonus at level 5 vs a Psuedodragon.

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-02-23, 08:34 PM
A dragon DFA is the whole concept. It's just super-cool.