PDA

View Full Version : Savage Worlds Sci Fi vs D6 Space

Maquise
2014-02-23, 03:55 PM
I'm considering, some time possibly in the future, running a science fiction campaign. I'll lay the groundwork for the campaign and setting, and ask what system would work the best.

Some time in the distant future, humanity has expanded into space, forming its own nation in the local interstellar community. There are several other alien powers, and a delicate balance of power. No one really trusts each other, and although there's a bit of trade, interspecies cooperation is rare, and usually discouraged as causing an upset in the balance of power.

All of this has changed with the arrival of a new power, much larger alien power from beyond known space. It appears to outnumber and outgun all of the known species, and has been mowing through space, picking off interstellar powers one by one.

The remaining powers have banded together in a neutral system to form an alliance. The PCs are, for various player-written reasons, in this system during the summit. While it is ongoing, a top-secret project is working on building a prototype warship incorporating the technology of all of the allied forces in order to fight this new threat.

The hostiles attack during the summit, and the prototype is programmed to self-destruct in order to keep it from falling into the enemy hands. The self-destruct is sabotaged, and the PCs are forced to commandeer the ship in order to escape and keep it away from the bad guys. The campaign consists of the PCs fighting the enemy. Or not, if they don't.

My question is which game system would be best to run this campaign in. So far, my ideas include Savage Worlds or D6 Space.

LibraryOgre
2014-02-23, 08:00 PM
Either. Generally, I would say that SW is more success-prone and more familiar to newer players, but if they know d6, I'd use d6.

Really, both are solid games. I think d6 is a bit more traditional in design, whereas SW tends towards a more modern design with a lot of options and slimmer skill system.