PDA

View Full Version : Arrival at Castle Strange

Pages : [1] 2

kreenlover
2014-02-23, 05:59 PM
It is a rainy evening (as usual) and you have been here for a few days, waiting for the carriage to come to take you up to Castle Strange.
The only inn in town is called the Golden Lily.

D20ragon
2014-02-23, 06:12 PM
Willow stands in the street under a ledge, the rain making her somewhat soiled gown droop.
She rested her head on one thin hand, the once fine skin now newly marred with calluses and cuts, her dreamy green eyes picking out the sign through the pouring rain. The Golden Lily. Mother had said to stay away from pubs, but this one looked so welcomingly not wet.
Her lip twisted in irritation. How much longer was her uncle going to make her wait?

DracoDei
2014-02-23, 07:28 PM
Doctor Nathan Dodgeworth relaxes in front of the fire at the inn... a choice location, and one he has had staked out for the last few hours.

His head snaps up everytime someone enters, and studies the new arrival for several seconds before returning to sketching something completely unrelated in charcoal on the vertical stones of the fireplace. The innkeeper initially objected to this, but Nathan convinced him to wait until he saw the finished product.

The sketches are nowhere near the quality of his paintings, but you can't work in oils without a bit of knowledge of how to prototype in charcoal, so they are good enough that Nathan now has carte blanche to sketch at will. Two bowls of water, one soapy, one as clean as any other well-water are on the table behind him, one rag floating in each, plus another to dry after cleaning his "canvas" for the next image.

A bag is under his chair, the draw-strings tied around his ankle lest a common pickpocket make off with his inheritance* while he is distracted.

*For "for all I know my grandfather is still alive and paying court to an elderly but graceful hula dancer" values of "inheritance".

He is looking at the people who enter mostly for the purpose of offering them the seat he is reserving specifically to the most forlorn or chilled/soaked looking of individuals... in other words he took that location out of a sort of charity.

The honest illusionist
2014-02-23, 08:27 PM
Finnegan Morningstar enters the bar and wipes the rain from his rusty hair with the sleeve of his cloak, careful not to stain his suit or damage the sealed envelope he protected from the rain. From the doorway he scans the bar, and sees a man sketching with charcoals, staring in his direction, but not at him. Without attracting attention, Finnegan steps away from gaze, to the peripheral of the man's vision. The man with the charcoals and pierced lip is not here for ale or wine, this he can tell plainly, but why then, Finnegan is unsure. There might be a mark here, Finnegan thinks, or an opportunity.

Finnegan moves towards the bar, on the end opposite from the man with the charcoal and the pierced lip, so as not to attract his attention. He chats up the bartender, orders spiced mead, and asks if the barkeep has heard any good rumours lately. All the while Finnegan sneaks glances at the door and the man with the charcoals, but only when he's sure nobody is watching.

BassWalker
2014-02-23, 08:45 PM
Mara Dae lounged in a chair by the fire, taking shelter from the rain in the inn called The Golden Lily. It'd been several days now since her arrival, and she was growing bored with the wait. She wished that something would happen, or that someone interesting would pass through, or... something. Where was the carriage to take them to the castle?

Or, she would have, if she'd been awake to care. With her feet propped up on the furniture and an emptied wine bottle cradled in one arm, she dozed rather heavily in the seat. Her walking stick was leaned against the chair, but she seemed not to have much else possessions with her; the rest of her belongings were hidden away in her robes. Well, except for the tiny, black kitten resting in her lap, but she was more companion than possession. Yes, much more a companion.

Celesyne
2014-02-23, 08:52 PM
Roma wasn't sure where she was. Nor did she care all that much. She was with Mara... and Mara was warm... and all sleepies. Still, she had her entertainment. This silly clear rock... paws batted at it, pushed it, and teeth nipped at it... but no matter what she did it always seemed to float back over her head. Mara said it was... what did she say...hardless? Noes... Harmless... yes.... that. But, Roma didn't trust it... Crystal blue eyes stared at it in pure curiosity and mistrust. Despite that... she was careful not to move too much. She didn't want to wake Mara... Mara needed the sleepies...

The honest illusionist
2014-02-23, 09:04 PM
Out of the corner of his eye, Finnegan notices a magical stone lazily circling the head of a small black cat, which was perched in a woman's lap. Strange, he thinks as he takes another sip of spiced mead. Why give a pet an enchanted item? Perhaps this is an eccentric wizard and her bonded familiar. Despite the woman's state, he gives the pair a cautious but friendly nod.

Finnegan steals another glance at the door and the man with the charcoals.

kreenlover
2014-02-23, 09:23 PM
As you stand and watch the inn you hear the click clack of wheels on cobblestones. Finally, three carriages pull up outside the inn. All three bar the crest of Castle Strange, a black tower alone in a field, in bold on the doors.
Two of the carriages are slightly beaten up, and older looking, not at all like the sleeker, newer carriage just past them. The coach drivers step down and walk towards the door of the inn. The one from the fancy coach carries an umbrella and is in a finer suit than the other two, although all three are sopping.

Three men step in through the door. They all wear suits, although one is nicer than the other two. They have whips at their belts, and battered top hats on their heads. They look around the tavern room for a few moments before the well dressed one goes to the bar.
"What room is the Lady Willow in? I have come to take her to Castle Strange"
The other two look around and tap their feet. Finally one says rather loudly
"Any servants coming to Castle Strange had best get moving right now 'fore we leave without 'em" The other nods, and steps back out into the rain.
Meanwhile the other one at the bar says "What do you mean the Lady Willow is not staying here? She was to come to town and wait for us to arrive to take her up to the Castle!"

D20ragon
2014-02-23, 09:26 PM
"Really," Willow thinks as she sees the figures, one by one, enter the inn.
"You'd think uncle wouldn't keep me waiting so long!"
She of course, did not recognize the men's uniforms through the torrents of rain, though she did wonder at the carriage they arrived in.
A gust of wind, cheerfully whirling about, chose that moment to spray the small river of the gutter into the girls face. Water filled her eyes, nose and mouth.
Sputtering, she pulled some of the dead leaves from her strawberry blonde (and once perfectly brushed) hair, and angrily stomped her small foot.
"Enough is enough! I don't care what mother used to say about pubs, except that they have hot drinks and food, sometimes.
Clearly, it is not raining inside, and so my choice seems clear. Drown out here, or not drown inside."
With that she set of determinedly, head up, back straight...
And up to her ankles in a puddle. Which caught her with something around the leg as she tried to walk away, causing her to slip and fall, face downward in the dirty puddle.
Where she lay for about half a minute, uttering every curseword she knew.
She did, after a while, make her way to the door of the inn, and force it open against the wind.
Warmth, light, and laughter greeted her, and she had never disagreed with her well-brought-up mothers opinions more.

The honest illusionist
2014-02-23, 09:35 PM
Finnegan drops his silver on the counter and thanks the barkeep for the excellent mead. He walks up to the better dressed of the suited men.

“Well met, good fellow. Allow me to introduce myself: I am Finnegan Morningstar, a solicitor sent to negotiate on behalf of the Icegate city council. I have much to discuss with the Master of Castle Strange and I believe he has been expecting me.”

Finnegan extends his hand for a firm handshake, and quickly steals a glance at the drenched woman in the doorway.

Hiding my rolls.

Diplomacy: [roll0]
Bluff: [roll1]

Celesyne
2014-02-23, 09:56 PM
Uh oh. There were lotsa men here now... Why where they here? They were looking for some- Oooh, shiney! She didn't know who he was, but he'd put a round shiney thing on the table... and Roma wanted to play with it. It was really really prett- Did the men say castle? Mara needed to go to a castle. Maybe they could take Mara to her castle... Roma walked around on her lap a second... she didn't want to wake her... Mara was always fussy when she gotted woked up... and... and... there was no.. sour smelly juice left in her bottle... Mara liked her juice too... Still... "Mrrow?" She pawed at the woman's collar, shaking back and forth on her little legs... maybe she'd notice... if not, well... She'd just go back to playing with the stone.

D20ragon
2014-02-23, 10:22 PM
Willow stands in the door, her heavy dress plastered to her slight 13 year old frame.
Mud was streaked down its front, and along her face as well. More then a few dead leaves were tangled in her hair.
She just stood their for a moment, holding the door for support.
Then she noticed the men in the room, and caught her name.
"Willow. Me. I mean, you're talking about me. I'm Willow."
She swayed.
"Excuse me, ma'am," she said to the sleeping woman.
"But that's quite a nice cat you've got. Just like my kitty at ho..."
But she never finished speaking of her cat back at home, instead collapsing in a dead faint.
For home was 45 miles away, and she had come on foot.

BassWalker
2014-02-23, 10:24 PM
Mmm... That was it... Lower... Lower...

"Hm?" What'd happened to the others- Oh. Preternaturally orchid eyes opened slowly, finding themselves confronted with the wide blue orbs of the kitten. Mara grinned softly at the thing, a little too groggy to be disappointed at being awoken so quickly. "You always have the worst timing. You know that? I was just getting to the best part." With one hand cuddling the kitten to her breast, she pet Roma and chuckled as her gaze inquired into the noisey arrivals.

Oh, they were just here for those going to the castle.... Oh! They were here for those going to the castle! Keeping the kitten cradled in her arm, she rose from the seat and grabbed the walking stick from beside her. Her hair was a mess, she'd lost her shoes at some point and couldn't remember how, and... Where'd that stain come from? Oh, it was wine. Okay, she could deal with that later.

"Yes, we're going to the castle." She called out to the... Well, to the rather well-dressed man at the bar.

DracoDei
2014-02-24, 12:17 AM
These are in aid of the question "Are the whips weapons, or just the tools of wagon-drivers?"

Spot [roll0] to notice in the first place (remember I'm looking at least briefly at everyone who enters).

Sense Motive [roll1] for if they carry themselves like they are especially ready for trouble.

Generalized Int. for if the idea of a nasty sort using a whip in this location makes any sort of logical sense [roll2]
If my suspicions are raised, I'll... untie the bag from my leg, and try to pull out one of the balls of one of the bolos all casual like, and lay it on the ground (with the rope leading to the knot that connects all three balls leading back into the bag) where I can grab it in a moderate hurry.

EDIT: I really should have provided a Bluff check and/or a Slight of Hand check (both untrained) here, but I didn't, so I won't unless you actually ask for it.

Nathan unties the bag from his leg (if he hasn't already), and grabs it before standing up.

"Let me through! I'm a doctor!"

He rushes over to her, and kneels down.

Do I need to roll a bull-rush (or Diplomacy...) to get anyone out of my way?

Heal check.

Going to take 10 if possible, which, since it SHOULD be pretty obvious this isn't a disease it would be logical, if not precisely RAW for a Grace-Gift, and given that this IS a stressful situation (for all he knows she is having a stroke or heart attack, so seconds could count). Without using a "charge" from the medical kit that gives me a 17, which should be enough.

If I can't take 10 I'll actually fish the healer's kit out of the bag if it will give me a bonus to the diagnosis.[roll3] or +7 if the kit can't help.

dark.sun.druid
2014-02-24, 03:06 AM
Demer had sitting quietly in a dimly lit corner of the pub, under the stairs. Of course, she had been observing the goings-on in the pub - Demer was always observing - but to all of the world she seemed to be dozing quietly, holding a nearly-empty glass of nondescript booze at a precarious angle. Not that she'd actually consumed any of the alcohol. Drink didn't sit well with Demer, and that was fine by her. She could observe those around her better if she wasn't inebriated.

Demer had been sitting quietly in a dimly lit corner of the pub, under the stairs, but when the men in the suits entered the building and declared their destination, she'd casually placed her nearly-empty glass of nondescript booze on the table and stood up from her chair. She touched her face briefly - yes, it was fine - made sure her ponytail wasn't too knotted by brushing her fingers through it, and patted her tan cambric smock into order.

Demer walked forward to the barman and paid for the nondescript booze, plus a couple silver extra - not enough to draw undue attention, but enough to ensure the barman wouldn't remember her as a lousy tipper. Then, her affairs here concluded, Demer walked into the general vicinity of the men and said, not quite loudly,

"I'm going to Castle Strange too," making sure she verbally grouped herself with the rest of the petitioners and hired hands.

At that, she wondered who she'd just affiliated herself with. As far as she'd noticed, the only others who had volunteered themselves to the men in the suits were the cat woman, the drenched girl, and the particularly articulate fellow standing near her by the bar. Diverse company, at least; less chance of seeming out of place.

kreenlover
2014-02-24, 06:18 PM
"Well then" The best dressed man scratches his head and walks over to Nathan "Is the lady going to be alright?"
The one who stepped outside steps back in, and waves his hand.
"All the servants, come with me. Bring your luggage, and lets get going. I want to get back to the Castle before too long. The sooner I get back the sooner I can have one of Madame Diligence's meat pies" he licks his lips and waves his hand.
"Come on. There are two coaches, not room in either one for all of you, so lets get going"

The other man steps towards Finnegan and looks him in the eyes.
"The master doesn't like liars, boy" he squints and looks him up and down.
"You mess with the Master and the other staff and you'll answer to me you hear?" he pats the whip menacingly.

So, I got an 19 for his intimidate check Illusionist, so Finnegan should be feeling at least a bit nervous. Also, can we keep the rolls in spoilers from now on? I know, I'm picky about this, sorry.

DracoDei
2014-02-24, 06:23 PM
"Well, I'm the new house doctor, but I can't just leave this lady. She will be fine with a little rest, but I can't just leave her here. Unless... did she say she was coming with you? In that case I suppose it couldn't do TOO much harm if I tend to her on the way, provided there is room to lay her out and you go a bit slow."

BassWalker
2014-02-24, 06:44 PM
Oh, had the poor dear had too much to drink? Mara afforded herself a brief chuckle and stepped around the commotion in the room, glancing at the girl on the floor once or twice... or thrice. The man attending to her had said he was a doctor, but she couldn't stop herself worrying just a little. At the very least, she hoped the dear hadn't bumped her head when she fell.

"Now, you behave yourself while we're in the carriage. We don't need to be made to walk through the rain after all that waiting." She cooed at the kitten as she approached the door, scratching under its chin with a finger.

dark.sun.druid
2014-02-24, 07:02 PM
As the man directed, so Demer did. Or would have done, if that fainting lass hadn't obstructed the door with her body. Demer noticed the how the others were moving toward the door without actually approaching the doctor or his patient, so Demer did likewise, always a step or two behind the person nearest to the entrance.

It occurred to Demer that she should probably try to get into the same coach as the doctor and the girl, if she could without stirring up any kind of fuss. They would definitely draw attention and keep eyes off of her; she was afraid that the rain would wet her clothes enough that her armor would be visible under them, and she'd rather not have to explain that...

Celesyne
2014-02-24, 08:57 PM
Oooooooooh.....Roma stretched and leaned into the wonderful scritching finger. Behave? She always behaved... well, she got distracted sometimes. It wasn't her fault... she just wanted to play! She scampered up the to the woman's shoulder, looking about the room and its inhabitants. At least the ones who were moving towards the door. So these peoples were coming to... to the Strange place too. She eye'd them curiously... none of them looked like they wanted to hurt Mara... But Roma couldn't be sure. Her front paws lifted up to settle on Mara's head... Mara's hair was comfies... She licked the side of the woman's face and continued her watchings of the peoples.

The honest illusionist
2014-02-24, 09:57 PM
Finnegan takes a step back. The Talent was so reliable it was incredibly rare for anyone to even be suspicious of Finnegan, let alone see through his deceptions. He would have to be more careful. Who was this man? A bead of nervous sweat trickled down the back of Finnegan's neck.

Rolling Knowledge (Nobility) [roll0] to see if Finnegan has any idea who this is, be he a nobleman or prominent servant, and any abilities he may be known for.

“I beg your pardon, your grace. I haven't been entirely truthful. Some matters need to be handled discreetly, though I did petition your Master for a meeting and his men did bid me to come.” Finnegan holds up the crisp envelope bearing Master Strange's seal. “Solicitors need to keep some details of their clients... in confidence, I hope you understand.”

Bluff check to not appear absolutely terrified (I completely failed my intimidation save): [roll1]

BassWalker
2014-02-25, 08:35 AM
Mara nearly squealed at the tongue attacking her eye and cheek, though settled for a laugh. Silly little thing, she thought as her hand followed the kitten up to her shoulder and layed on its back. She knew that Roma wouldn't fall off, but that said nothing of her ability to keep from jumping down to go after something.

"We're about to go outside, Roma. Are you sure you want to be up there when it starts raining?" She rubbed the kitten's back and tried to coax it back down.

D20ragon
2014-02-25, 08:52 AM
Willow woke, feeling horribly frail and weak.
Had she really fainted? How embarrassing.
And she was sooo tired.
Looking up from where she lay on the floor, she saw the crowd of people all carefully picking their way towards the door.
She sprung up, or tried to. In reality, she managed to get up on her knees, and then was exhausted.
"I'm terribly sorry, blocking the way like this. Please excuse me."
Her eyes roamed about. A man standing beside her, perhaps a doctor. He looked kind.
A shifty looking fellow, dressed nicely... Her eyes skipped over someone almost completely unremarkable, almost not seeing them at all.
Then... Oh! The woman with the cat was awake now. The small furry creature so reminded her of home... No. Not home any more. But the twitching ears and tail brought back memories of strong wooden halls, lit by candles and a roaring fire, her own bedroom, with its starry ceiling and soft bed, the stone ramparts, along which she wood run when no one was looking...
All snatched away by a plague that left them impoverished. First the oddments were sold, then then the furniture. Little by little it was all taken away, till at last Willows own cat, Leonard, was sold for 5 coppers.
The girls eyes filled up with tears, and she hid her face in her sopping skirts.
I shan't cry! I won't! Lots of little girls have had to leave home falter the plague!
But saying this to herself didn't help any.

DracoDei
2014-02-25, 12:05 PM
Should I? Oh well, whatever I've heard about the castle I doubt I'll regret this.... perhaps not the shield of warm hearth and cool water though. Nathan thinks to himself.

He makes a complicated series of gestures and speaks several words... not the longest of the common spells, but definitely in the top 5%.
Touch of the Grace Gift for 1 point of healing, 23 remaining.

The Shield of Warm Hearth and Cool Water would be Gift of Tolerance.

He finishes by touching the lady's forehead. Then extends both hands to help her up.

"Let's get you into a chair. When you are ready, we can all head out to the coaches... you are going to the castle? Or did I mishear?" he says to her before turning to nearest driver.

"I do hope they ARE coaches, and not open wagons? Else I may have to delay our departure for at least 30 minutes, and procure an umbrella if none is available. Also, how long will the drive be?"

D20ragon
2014-02-25, 12:28 PM
Willow looks up, her scratches and bruises of travel fading away. She attempts to quell her tears, making every effort she can to not look like a weak child. She only partially succeeds.
"I'm terribly grateful, sir"
She says, voice quivering.
"And I'm not usually such a little girl, really I'm not. But the kitty made me think of mine, and he was sold to a old hag, and she pro'lly never feeds him and...."
She stops.
"I'm sorry. My name is Willow , and since my parents sold their estate I'm to live with my uncle in Castle Strange. Who...."
She swallows and starts again.
"Wh- who do I have the pleasure of meeting?"
She says wretchedly, throughly aware that she has botched any attempt to look respectable.

DracoDei
2014-02-25, 12:38 PM
Nathan omits the bow in favor of continuing to hold an effective lifting posture for when she is ready.

"Doctor Nathan Dodgeworth, at your service... rather more literally than most mean it, if you are going to be staying at the castle. I'm the new staff doctor there."

kreenlover
2014-02-25, 01:59 PM
"Well, thats all the servants then. Get yourselves outside.
"And yes Mister Doctor, they are carriages. You think that the Master would send a wagon to pick up a new relative?"
The best dressed man offers his arm to Willow.
"You'll be coming in the Master's own carriage. And I guess that you can as well" he says to Nathan over his shoulder. He raises the umbrella and prepares to open it.
The last man looks Finnegan in the eyes again, and then smiles.
"So long as you've learned your lesson. Still, you could have just said so instead of lying"

As you all step outside there are three carriages. The well dressed coachman leads Willow to the first one, umbrella covering the two while the other two wave to the slightly scruffier carriages behind.
"The rest of you, in there. You can keep your belongings with you, or toss them on the roof. We'll tie them down with the rest of the supplies before we get going"

DracoDei
2014-02-25, 02:12 PM
Nathan smiles.

"Well, all is right with the world then. I'm sorry, I didn't know she was a relative at the time I said that."

He walks out into the rain on Willow's other side, utterly heedless of it. What are a few drops to one who spent many hours under a waterfall.

"I've just the one bag." he says as he climbs into the coach last.

"Err... I've heard some stories in the village. Is there an outside chance the trip might prove... eventful? If there is even the slightest chance, I can make a few preparations as we ride. If not, I'd prefer to not show up on the front step with metal instead of wool as my covering."

kreenlover
2014-02-25, 02:29 PM
As Nathan and Willow get into the carriage you disturb a sleeping young man.
He jerks upright, lunges forwards to catch his top hat, and then scrambles to help Willow into the carriage.
As Nathan gets in he looks at him quizzically.
"I didn't know that two more relatives were coming. But where are my manners? I am Xavier Dodgerow, but everyone calls me Cousin Xavier. I'm the Master's apprentice in writing, although I'm not quite sure how I am related to him, or how much he has taught me" He smiles a bit abashedly, and pushes his mop of blonde hair away from his eyes "Let me be the first to welcome the both of you to Castle Strange, and to our family" He bows in the tight confines of the carriage, no mean feat.
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs43/f/2009/100/1/8/VICTORIAN_ERA_by_nairchan.jpg

"Oh, and no, there is no danger. The road is quite safe. I don't know what rumours you were listening to, but they are wrong"

D20ragon
2014-02-25, 02:40 PM
Willow, clinging to the doctor and the servant, suppresses a giggle at the sleeping boy's speedy recovery.
She drops a clumsy curtsy, then overbalances and tumbles into a seat.
"Hello Xavier," she manages.
"I'm afraid I'm... Rather.... Tired...."
Yawning hugely, she tries to find the most comfortable position on the carriage seat.
"I'm sure we'll get along splendidly."

DracoDei
2014-02-25, 03:03 PM
"Doctor Dodgeworth, at your service. I'm not related, it is just that I'm the new staff physician, and the lady is not feeling entirely well."

He gets himself situated next to Willow, or failing that, directly opposite her.

kreenlover
2014-02-25, 03:24 PM
Xavier smiles at the both of them.
"Well, why don't you rest then Miss? I'll be sure to be quiet so as not to disturb you" He then turns to Nathan and extends a hand.
"I was just up in Hamlet. Taking my monthly trip you see. I like to get out and about and explore, get some fresh ideas. Its good to have you Doctor"
As Xavier extends his hand the carriage begins to glide forwards. The movement is accompanied by the crack of a whip, but it is dulled and far away. Evidently the carriage has some good soundproofing.

The other two coaches are a bit shabby, both inside and out. The seats are a bit ratty, and they smell faintly musty. There are four seats in each carriage. The drivers wait until you are seated before the carriages jolt into motion with a crack of the whip.

dark.sun.druid
2014-02-25, 04:27 PM
Demer hurried quickly from the pub to the coach, avoiding the rain as much as possible. The last thing she wanted right now was to end up getting her clothes soaked through. Unfortunately, it seemed that the doctor and the girl were to take their own coach, but all things considered it wasn't a huge loss.

Instead, Demer jumped into the closest empty coach, and took a spot in the back corner, so nobody would have to climb over her to get in. At this point, she began to mentally steel herself to answer questions. If she was lucky, she'd end up with someone quiet, and she wouldn't have to talk about herself. She knew, though, that if she ended up in a coach with someone who wanted to talk, she'd draw more attention by refusing to than she would be engaging.

DracoDei
2014-02-25, 04:46 PM
Nathan shakes hands. He considers
"I am well acquainted with the value of new perspectives and ideas." he says, somewhat more quietly than the conversational distance would normally indicate.

Should I be quiet to let her rest? No, I do believe that she is far enough gone that she will rest even with some quiet conversation.

"If I might inquire, what new ideas did you encounter this time around?" he says, leaning towards Xavier to speak even more softly.

The honest illusionist
2014-02-25, 06:31 PM
With bruised pride, Finnegan hefted his carry on bag and approached the wagon. He followed the nondescript and avoidant woman whose name he did not yet know into the grubby carriage, and waited for her to sit down before occupying the seat beside her.

He whispered through a polite grin, "Here's a friendly tip, love. If you want to keep a low profile, don't attract attention to yourself by going to an obnoxious effort to avoid people. If you're too carelessly deliberate they'll catch you, sure as I did. You need to always have a plan that takes slip ups into account."

Finnegan widens his smile, "Speaking of slip ups, you will tell me who you are and what you're up to this minute or I'll make a fuss. Who knows, if I am amused on this carriage ride you might find yourself a temporary ally."

[roll0]

dark.sun.druid
2014-02-25, 11:05 PM
Demer was actually shocked at this man's audacity, and frankly a bit worried! There was nobody else in the coach yet, but... She couldn't tell this man, not yet. She'd watched him interacting with the guard, and had absolutely no reason to trust that he was being sincere when he said he could be an ally. Admittedly, having an ally would be nice, especially someone as overwhelmingly charismatic as this fellow, but... No, she would play the game out for a while longer.

Demer's reaction, which was so quick that the pause was nearly unnoticeable, was to feign innocent surprise at being affronted in this way. Her eyes widened and she leaned away from him, blinking,
"M-my name is Mariah, sir! I'm here to petition work at the castle, so I can send money back to my family. I wasn't avoiding anyone, I just don't know anyone here..." She trailed off, and turned here gaze back toward the floor of the coach. Demer was surprised to find that the pace of her heartbeat had actually quickened...

Bluff check to convince Mr Morningstar that my feigned innocence was genuine: [roll0]

The honest illusionist
2014-02-25, 11:17 PM
Finnegan raised an eyebrow. From her voice and demeanour, Mariah seemed genuine. But Finnegan's suspicions were raised by circumstantial evidence, he knew she was hiding something, and decided to press his advantage.

"You are going to have to explain to me," Finnegan hissed, "how a peasant skulking about could obtain that gaudy magical trinket you are brashly attempting to conceal in your hair. I would love to hear your tale, as I'm certain it will be as entertaining to our hosts as any conspiracy."

"You can be assured I will be a much more sympathetic judge of character."

dark.sun.druid
2014-02-26, 12:05 AM
Demer had forgotten about the headband! She'd been wearing it there for so many days now, it hadn't even occurred to her that someone might notice it. Fat lot of good a headband of intellect was if it didn't even make her smart enough to realize that this could happen!

"I-" Demer stumbled over the word; she hated it when that happened! She realized as she was composing herself, though, that this man had given a bit of information away about himself as well. More, confidently, Demer siad,

"It's an heirloom. We've had it in the family for generations now," Demer reached up and carefully untied the cord from her hair, holding it out for the man to see in an act of good faith. That part was actually true, it was a family heirloom. Well, in a sense. "I didn't want anyone to notice it, it's so valuable..." She let her sentence trail off again.

The honest illusionist
2014-02-26, 12:15 AM
"One would suspect," Fineggan smiled, "that such a magic item would be wasted on a lowly servant. Especially when it's so valuable..." He let the word trail off.

"You either have means or resources that could keep you out of a life wasted in rags in the servant's quarters. Who are you really, Mariah?"

dark.sun.druid
2014-02-26, 12:26 AM
Demer blew some air out of her nose, and looked around the coach. They were still alone...

Fineggan:
"Alright," she said, the façade of the demure young servant girl gone entirely. She reached up to tie the cord back into her hair, talking while she did. Her movements betrayed a confidence of purpose that came from equal parts training and resignation to the fact that she'd been caught out so quickly.

"I'm not going to Castle Strange because I need the money. I've been hired to look into some strange rumors about the castle, and I figured this would be the best way to get in unnoticed. I forgot about the damn headband. Look," she said, addressing Fineggan bluntly, "Is what you said before true? You're perceptive, almost as perceptive as I am, and I saw the way you were talking to that guard earlier. I'm laying my chips on the table for you so tell me, if you meant it when you said I might have an ally in you: who exactly are you? Be quick, the others will be here soon."

The honest illusionist
2014-02-26, 12:48 AM
Demer:
Finnegan closed his eyes and thought carefully. This woman had no leverage over him, aside from her rumours, but to go through the risk of deception over this and not gold? She had Finnegan's attention.

Finnegan chose his honest words carefully. "A rumour about an estate does not explain why you are taking such lengths to equip yourself with magic and conceal your identity from Master Strange's men. Make no mistake, Mariah, I am a third party, who, like nearly two thirds of this caravan, am here for my own profit. I am not loyal to kings or old gold, much less those who cart humanoids around like rabble in dirty wagons. If you can convince me you are here for a truly noble reason that one like me would be loathe to ignore—or that by leveraging your rumour I can stand to gain personally—we will indeed be allies. Tell me your rumour or tell me your cause."

dark.sun.druid
2014-02-26, 01:07 AM
Fineggan:
Demer was torn... In her experience, the truth brought with it no love. But perhaps she could stand to reveal a bit more. An ally could really be useful. Still, this man could be a danger to her. She proceeded cautiously,

"My employer doesn't like having attention drawn on them, so I will avoid that topic; I'm afraid that even if I wanted to, I couldn't reveal anything about them. But I digress.

"The rumors are the same ones that most people in this town seem to have heard. Entire wings of the castle closed off from any sunlight, rooms that people enter and never return from, things of that nature. I've even heard it suggested that it's impossible to know the floor plan of the castle. Normally I would put these off as obviously false, but it seems someone believes otherwise. I intend to find out.

"I don't know if the information can benefit you or not, sir, but I've now volunteered far more information than I am comfortable with. We cannot be strangers now. We are enemies or we are allies. Respond how you will." Demer's voice grew quieter as her sentence came to a close, and she cast a glance toward the door before returning her gaze to the man who had presumed to pry into secrets that were not his to know.

The honest illusionist
2014-02-26, 01:18 AM
Demer
"So you were listening to my conversation? I gave that exact same excuse..." Finnegan grinned. "I have heard much the same rumours, but I hadn't given it any thought. I think you are quite foolish—but if there is danger it will pay to have allies."

"Want to know a better rumour?" Finnegan grinned wider. "I have it on good authority that over half the aspiring so-called servants have enchanted trinkets too. There will be danger, but I am not certain if it will come from the Strange family."

dark.sun.druid
2014-02-26, 01:24 AM
Demer storred that little tidbit away for later with an appreciative nod, and a grin.

"Very well then," Demer extended a hand for shaking. She'd bristled a bit at being called foolish -- foolish! Bah! -- but this wasn't the time to heckle the man about it. "What should I call you? Or is 'That man' a title you're used to carrying?"

The honest illusionist
2014-02-26, 01:28 AM
"I've been called a lot of things, but I prefer to be called Finnegan." He said as he extended his hand. "Shall I continue calling you Mariah?"

dark.sun.druid
2014-02-26, 01:32 AM
"If you want. A name doesn't mean much. It will make things simpler in the future if you call me that," Demer said.

Celesyne
2014-02-26, 05:29 AM
WET WET WET WET WET!! Roma scrambled claws first up the wooden step and into the carriage, black and white fur soaked and matted. She hadn't paid much attention to Mara at all.... and then she'd stepped outside... and waters started getting in her ears... Roma liked water, Roma really liked a bath! But... Waters in Roma's ears really hurted... She'd bolted off Mara's shoulder and across the short way to the carriage, but not before her tiny body had been thoroughly drenched.

Two of the peoples from the Inn were already in here, it seemed... not that Roma much minded. They were talking about... something or another... something Roma didn't care about cause... she never heard anything about foods... or warms.... or drys anywhere.... and Roma woulda noticed. She huddled in the corner of the floor, shivering and trying to lick herself clean and dry... this would take... forevers... "Mrrrrr....." She mused in frustration...

The honest illusionist
2014-02-26, 08:19 AM
"Case in point," Finnegan whispered, pointing to the drenched cat with a magical stone orbiting her head that just entered the carriage. "I think you can see that." He could also see the miserable creature was wet and shivering with discomfort.

"Here cat," Finnegan produced a clean handkerchief from his pocket and unfolded it for Roma. "This will help with the rain."

BassWalker
2014-02-26, 08:51 AM
"Roma!" Mara exclaimed as she poked her head into the carriage, chuckling away at the kitten's antics. Finnagling her walking stick into the vehicle, she took a seat across from the two and picked her soaked companion up from the floor. Aww, she'd gotten water in her ears. "Poor dear. You could've hidden in my robes, like always." With one hand holding the kitten to her lap, the fingers of the other danced about briefly as she mumbled in a tongue largely comprised of what could only be described as yips and barks.

"I'm terribly sorry. She's easily excited." She said to the two sitting across from her. As with each stroke of the kitten's wet and matted fur, the moisture was pushed away to reveal a perfectly dry Roma sitting in her lap.

dark.sun.druid
2014-02-26, 01:30 PM
Demer could indeed see the little clear stone circling the cat's head. She thought she'd seen something before, in the pub, but had dismissed it as a trick of the eyes. It seemed she would have to stop dismissing anything at all; things here weren't as expected at all.

Demer smiled at the woman as she dried off the cat; it appeared there was some more magic at work here, but apparently that was going to be par for the course here. She decided to take Fineggan's advice, and addressed the woman,

"That's a very pretty cat," Best to keep the conversation simple, she decided.

Celesyne
2014-02-26, 01:57 PM
Oh! She was being talkededs about. And was dry... which was much betters. The pets was even better. Roma circled on Mara's lap a time or two... and then her curiosity got the better of her. Her front hunched down, her little rear waggling before she jumped across to the other seat. Little paws and claws skittering on the seat as she scrambled to get her footing. A little wet black nose poked against the woman's hand... and then pressed her head up under it. "Meow?"

dark.sun.druid
2014-02-26, 06:16 PM
Demer jumped a little bit when the cat bounded across the coach onto her lap. She hadn't been expecting that! It was almost as if the little fuzzy thing had heard and understood her! She looked from Fineggan to Mara and back again before deciding that thus wasn't too bad. Looking down on the cat she smiled, and scratched it behind the ear.

BassWalker
2014-02-26, 06:36 PM
Mara was chuckling away at the kitten's antics, straightening her robes and finding them rather drenched all the while. Not that she was particularly worried about much showing through her undergarments, but it was rather uncomfortable. So, with a snap of her fingers, the problem was fixed and her clothes dried. In fact, the carriage was quite musty...

"Her name's Roma." She offered her companion's name to the woman, and... Oh, what the hell; another snap of her fingers dried the pair off. There, she thought, that was much more comfortable. "And, I'm Mara." She added with a slight bow of her head.

The honest illusionist
2014-02-26, 07:19 PM
What luck, Finnegan thought. So many interesting people in the same wagon.

"Pleased to meet you, I am Finnegan Morningstar, solicitor, negotiator, and experienced legal expert in the service of lords and war-weary champions. I must say you have impressive talents, Mara. And that is quite a clever companion you have. May I ask what your business is with the master of Castle Strange? I am terribly curious."

kreenlover
2014-02-26, 09:59 PM
"Oh, you know, the usual. Mostly just rumours. I like to listen to the stories of adventurers, especially anything to do with mysteries. There was this one story I heard about a murder. The victim was found in her closet, with no flesh remaining on her bones. Well, the watch was quite stymied, until..."
he rambles on about the story of a murder, a runaway bride, a runaway sister, a child and a sordid romantic affair, all tangled together into some semblance of a tale.
He is not a bad storyteller; if his writing is as good as his narration, then its not surprising that he's apprenticed to the Master.

D20ragon
2014-02-26, 10:09 PM
Willow drifted in and out of sleep, catching snatches of the story, and entwining it with her dreams.
Cousin Xavier was a nice boy, it seemed like. She hoped she would get to see more of him, and perhaps hear more stories. It was nice to know that she had something of a family after all. The Doctor was a kind man, and Xavier seemed like the sort of person she would be friends with.
The cat was marvelous, and it's owner seemed like a nice lady. As for the shifty man... She shrugged. She didn't think he would hurt her.
Maybe the woman would let Willow pet the kitty.
Maybe... It seemed like she was forgetting someone....
But at this point Willow fell asleep again, drifting into a dream of runaway brides and mysterious murders, in which Willow was a duchess and a pirate at the same time, and solved the mystery, and the bride turned out to be her mother, on the run from an ogre prince, who Willow challenged to single combat.
She let him think he was winning, and then finished him off with a single blow. Then she freed her father, who was under the ogres curse, and brought him and her mother aboard her ship, and together they sailed into a sea of roses, full of golden swans, and silver fish that turned into ladies when you weren't quite looking.

DracoDei
2014-02-27, 04:02 AM
Nathan listens to the story. He is tempted to raise a few medical details about the condition of the corpse, but decides not to.

Celesyne
2014-02-27, 12:53 PM
Ohhhhhhs.... More scritchins... Roma was very very happies right now. She couldn't help herself, little body purring loudly. She circled in the woman's lap a time or two. Pausing but a few seconds to knead at what she thought was a hard spot, then curled up in her lap. She was comfies... And dry... And didn't smell of stinky juice like Mara did sometimes. She yawned wide, little blue eyes blinking for a moment... Before slowly sliding shut as she dozed off in the strangers warm, dry lap.... It was okies... Mara was here... Nuffing to worries bout...

BassWalker
2014-02-27, 02:56 PM
"Oh, there's not much to say." Mara answered, watching the kitten with a grin. "We're coming to work at Castle Strange for a little while, maybe do a little cleaning. Beds don't pay for themselves, after all." She chuckled, and refrained from adding anything further.

"And what of you two?"

dark.sun.druid
2014-02-27, 03:12 PM
Patting the cat's head, Demer answered simply, "I'm also going to the castle for work, to make some money to send back to my family."

Demer felt a pang of jealousy. She knew, of course, that it wasn't her emotion. It was Artemis, jealous of the attention she was giving the new animal. Demer made sure to let Artemis know that he wasn't being replaced, by sending some loving emotions to the rat. Gradually, she felt the jealousy recede.

The honest illusionist
2014-02-27, 09:15 PM
"I'm chiefly here to negotiate with the Master of Castle Strange, for what business I can not say." Finnegan mused, "Though I may be available to offer my talents on other matters if the Master needs time to consider. New hires and departures create all kinds of legal and tax burdens." He smiled.

kreenlover
2014-02-27, 09:51 PM
The rest of the carriage ride is bumpy for the servants, and smooth for Willow and Nathan. The drivers keep the coaches running through the night. As dawn breaks you can see a small wayhouse pass by.
It is not until that evening that the carriages finally begin to slow, even as the rain picks up.
As you come around one last bend you see a great castle rising up before you. Built in the Gothic style, it is imposing. However, some of the ramshackle appearance takes away from the overall effect.
The lack of light in any windows though has quite a bit of an effect on you all.
However, as you draw closer you can see a flickering light approaching the mains doors through the impressive stained glass above.
The carriages draw to a stop as the main doors open. Three men run out with umbrellas to help Willow and Xavier inside, but Xavier just smiles, and walks through the rain whistling as he twirls his cane.
The servants are left to grab their bags and run in on their own.
Once inside a tall room opens up above you, and a fire is starting to get going in the grate.
An elderly man, not stooped, but getting on in years, stands holding a candle.
"Ah, the new help. And you must be Miss Willow. Welcome back Cousin Xavier" he bows to Xavier and Willow, and shakes the hands of the servants with a surprisignly strong grip. His voice is little more than a whisper, but has a sense of both strength and command in it.
"I am Hirram Dustham, but you may call me Master Dustham. I the head Butler and Chief of staff here at Castle Strange"

dark.sun.druid
2014-02-27, 10:11 PM
After making sure that Artemis was with her, Demer dodged quickly through the rain and into the building, in time to hear a man addressing the group. With the back of a hand, she wiped the rain from her brow, and took a look around the entry room. It was tall, imposingly so. The little pool of the light from the fire looked warm, but something about the castle felt strangely damp and cold. She was starting to wonder if coming here had been a good decision. But, then, she didn't have much of a choice.

She could feel Artemis rustling around under her clothes. He was attempting to hide in the folds of her clothing. She could understand the feeling; the castle felt like it had once been a living being, but that now it was dead and cold and they were standing inside its corpse. It wasn't a particularly pleasant thought...

The honest illusionist
2014-02-27, 10:12 PM
"That's quite a grip you have there, old sport. And this is quite a manor to oversee, if I do say so myself," Finnegan says as he examine's the gothic architecture, a massive rotting carcass of old fortune, slowly chipped away over time. "I have seen castles belonging to kings that are not its equal in scale. It must have taken thousands of men, several decades, and a clever sage or two to assemble..."

After a long moment of concentration, Finnegan composed himself. "And a small army to maintain. Forgive me, I lost myself in the bricks and mortar. Do you know when the Lord of the House will be available for an interview? I believe we arranged a meeting." He held up the envelope bearing the Strange seal.

Finnegan is using his innate detect magic ability to find the presence, number, and location of magic auras, as well as taking a look around.

Untrained spot check as I'm looking around at the castle and its occupants: [roll0].

Finnegan is also attempting to flatter and gain favor with Master Dustham.

Diplomacy [roll1]

BassWalker
2014-02-28, 10:35 AM
Having taken the slumbering kitten from the woman's lap shortly before their arrival, Mara followed the others through the rain with no true rush; she didn't mind getting a little wet. She did cradle Roma beneath her arm to keep her as dry as she could, though.

"It's nice to meet you, Hirram." She said with a slight bow of her head, mixing formal with informal as though it didn't matter. "I am Mara, and this is Roma." She hefted the kitten from under her arm to hold her more comfortably. Was she still asleep? Poor dear. "It's been a long trip. Do you suppose we could get a meal before any discussions begin?"

kreenlover
2014-02-28, 11:27 AM
"Of course of of course. Master Finnegan, this has been built over hundreds of years by dozens of masons. Several wings were constructed by magic alone.
"The Master will not be available for a meeting for some time; you'll discuss your business with me. In the meantime, we shall all eat some of Mistress Dilligence's fine fare"

Hirram is wearing a pair of magical cuffs that glow with abjuration magic, and something in his pocket glows with an array of colours

DracoDei
2014-02-28, 12:12 PM
"That sounds well to me, both personally, and, dare I say, professionally. The young lady had a rough journey in the earlier stages." He says, gesturing to Willow.

Celesyne
2014-02-28, 12:55 PM
Shhhhhes.... She could see the mousey... Mousey thought it was safe... hidins under the bed. But Roma knew it was there... and she could smells it... She prowled around the bedside table, looking for a better view. Ahhh... there was mousey... a big ones... Mousey would be tasties... not as tasy as fishy... but Roma had yet to find a fishy in the bedroom for her to catch...

Oh! It turned away! She lept down from the table, sliding under the bed by inches and pinned the little ball of tasty against the wall. She stared at her prize, licking her teeth in anticipation. Mousey opened its mouth to squeak its capt- "we shall all eat some of Mistress Dilligence's fine fare"

Roma jerked awake in Mara's arms. Where was she? What had happened to the mousey? And why had it sounded like a really really old guy? Ohs... there was a really really old guy... Had Roma been dreamins? She yawned and stretched, a small growl of hungry frustration escaping her before she climbed back up Mara's sleeve to perch on her shoulder. She brushed her head against the woman's cheek.. and paused a moment to lick it gently. "Mew?"

The honest illusionist
2014-02-28, 10:57 PM
Finnegan considered his options. Ideally he would be alone with the Master of Castle Strange for his demonstration to work to it's maximum persuasive effect... This clearly wasn't happening. The butler stressed that The Master would not be available for some time. What the delay was, Finnegan did not know, though he intuited the matter was not up for discussion.

Finnegan sensed that Master Dustham could not be threatened as easily as a wealthy trust fund child who was used to being insulated from the concerns of honest work and mortality. No, relying on that sort of threat to Dustham wouldn't work at all for Finnegan's purposes of shock and subterfuge. Unless... Unless Finnegan appealed to the Chief of staff's sense of duty. Dustham did seem to have the necessary authority over the castle staff. The plan could still work, and if it didn't, he would still have a viable backup.

"As you are a trusted lutenent of Master Strange, and chief of the intermediaries I have dealt with until now, I would be honoured and obliged to speak business with you in place of Master Strange. At your convenience, of course Master Dustham."

BassWalker
2014-03-04, 12:32 PM
Mara chuckled and followed the kitten with her hand, cuddling it to her cheek for a moment before scratching behind its ears. As the others seemed to be conducting business of their own, she remained content to pet the kitten while she awaited their meal.

kreenlover
2014-03-04, 03:59 PM
"Well, if that is all the business at hand, please, follow me"
Hirram turns and walks off down the corridors. Porters take your baggage and run it off somewhere while he leads you all into a warm cozy room. A fire burns in the hearth, and cozy armchairs are arrayed around the room.
"Miss Willow, I apologize. I hope that you do not mind this more informal setting tonight, but-"
Before he can continue the other door to the room swings open and a large woman in an apron walks through, a tray of food in her hands.
"Nonsense Darling. This is the perfect place to warm up after that abysmal rainstorm out there"
"My dear Madame Diligence, I was talking to the new help, and the new Cousin. I'd thank you to not call me darling inf ront of-"
"Oh you can ignore my husband" the woman forcibly pushes everyone into chairs as she bustles around the room. Soon the secnt of a delicious meat pie fills the air as she cuts into the tortiere.
"He just doesn't like how I'm in charge of the servants. Today is his only day to be all official"
"My dear, that is not at all true, and you know it..."
The back and forth banter goes on for some time as the old couple sees you all seated and with food within easy reach. A bowl of delicious garlic-ey soup, a glass of some kind of am-azing cool drink that is a bright purple in colour, and that meat pie that everyone has been raving about.
As you eat other household staff walk in and out, wandering through to the kitchen to grab a bite to eat, or just coming to say hello to the new help.
Cousin Xavier entertains you all with tales and tall stories as Madame Diligence and Master Dustham argue like the old married couple they are. One of the maids makes eyes at Finnegan while a few of the stablehands seem very interested in Mara's kitten.
As the night grows old the room is filled with the warmth of the fire, and the warmth of camraderie.
When Madame Diligence finally shoos you out with escorts to bring you to your rooms the moon is high in the sky.
"Remember, you will start your duties very early in the morning. I'll have someone come by to collect you so that I can give you a rundown on how everything will work before you start the day. Master Finnegan; the Master has instructed me to tell you that until he or Master Dustham have a chance to deal with your questions you will serve as a butler. Master Dustham will assist you in that duty. Now then, off to bed! You'll need to be up bright and early in the morning. Not you of course, Miss Willow, Master Xavier, but the rest of you, bright and early on the morrow!"

D20ragon
2014-03-04, 04:31 PM
Willow eats, almost still half in a dream.
Warmth, the laughter of endless waves of people, the soothing sound of Xavier's voice telling yet another story, and the soft fur of the kitty beneath her hand serve marvelously to close her eyelids.
Halfway through a third helping of pie, her head droops again, and she falls asleep with her head on the tablecloth, lulled by the food, warmth, and mere notion, that now, perhaps, everything will be fine.

She awakes when the cat, tired of being squashed by her sleeping hand, wriggles out from under it.
In her dream, there had been a king and a queen. As the pirate duchess, she had swung in on a chandelier and objected to their marriage at the last moment, and then revealed the king as a Doppleganger, thus saving the queen from being kidnapped and taken to the moon.
The cold floor shook her out of her still sleepy fog, at least long enough to pat the kitty once more and thank the woman who showed her the bed.
Then she slept, resolving to wake before anyone else, and go exploring.

DracoDei
2014-03-04, 06:14 PM
Physicals it is... I suspect everyone will be in good health. Hope I don't yawn to much during... he thinks to himself.

The honest illusionist
2014-03-04, 06:45 PM
During the dinner Finnegan took the food and conversation as opportunity to use his detect magic ability, with an eye towards Madame Dilligence and Cousin Xavier.

They expect me to serve as butler... Finnegan mused to himself. I suppose old gold makes all those it possesses see mere common folk as indistinguishable. Still, Finnegan wasn't above singing for such a masterful supper as had been cooked by Madame Diligence. Besides, he had posed as a butler on two other grifts and was prepared for the challenge. He told Dustham that it would be his pleasure to serve at Castle Strange until they were prepared to discuss matters.

At least Master Strange has good taste in maids. He resolved to wake early to get his bearings in the castle and make whatever acquaintances he could meet.

dark.sun.druid
2014-03-05, 01:32 AM
Kreen:
Demer, also, will use detect magic (caster level 2, so it lasts two minutes). She is paying particular attention to sweeping the room for auras, but would likely notice if any person had an aura emanating from them. Anything she finds she makes note of for future investigation.

Demer enjoyed the food and drink. Quite a lot, in fact; it had been a very long time since she had tasted anything so good, or felt so satiated. Almost she let herself be lulled into a sleepy sense of security, but not quite. She remained alert throughout the dinner, listening for anything of note.

Untrained wisdom check to pick out any information that may be important from the night's conversation (especially pertaining to the castle and its permanent inhabitants, but also anything worth noting about the group that arrived with her):
[roll0]

When Demer was lead to her room at the end of the night, she found it passable, although somehow she had been hoping for something more. She was here as a servant though, she supposed.

She checked the moon out through the window quickly, attempting to ascertain the time. At a rough guess, she could be awake before dawn, and perhaps check out the castle a bit before she had to start her day's duties.

The bed smelled as if it hadn't been used in a long time when she crawled into it...

====================

That night, Demer dreamed of home. A thin layer of soot covered everything. Matt was there, also covered in a thin layer of soot. They were playing in one of the forges, late at night, having a contest to see who could throw chunks of copper ore the furthest. Matt won every time. Suddenly, Rathul appeared, holding a hooked hammer and wearing an apron. The big smithy owner attacked Matt with the hammer, and used the boy's body to make a meat pie in one of the great furnaces. When Rathul offered the pie to the other workers (who had arrived without Demer noticing), Demer protested,

"You cant serve that! That pie is baked full of soot!" Nobody took any notice of Demer though, and the hungry boys devoured the pie while Rathul stared at Demer, hammer still in hand...

====================

It was at this point that Demer awoke.

BassWalker
2014-03-05, 12:05 PM
Mara found the food to be delightful, and made sure to share her opinion with the madam who had served them. Though, she did suppose that a glass of wine would've complimented it nicely. Well, she thought, there was always the next meal.

"Come along, Roma." She cooed as she lifted the kitten and cradled it in her arms. The meal had been nice after the dreadful carriage ride, but they were being shooed off to bed and shown where to go. "I know you've been enjoying yourself, but it's been so long since we've gotten to cuddle together in a real bed." She chuckled and scratched the kitten's belly, and closed the bedroom door behind her.

Celesyne
2014-03-06, 02:46 PM
Awww.... but she'd just woken up not too long ago... and all the peoples at the table had been really nice.... and the one hoomun had been petting her... even if Roma had been sneaking bits of her food when she wasn't looking...

Still.... the Mara was rights... Roma couldn't remember the last time Mara had had a bed thingy to sleep in. They were really comfy.... and Mara was warm... and soft... and petted her til she fell asleep...

In the end, despite her hesitations, there had been no contest. She skittered across the table and accidentally up into Mara's sleeve instead of on top of it... and got lost and confused... Then again... it was kinda warm... and comfy... So, she laid down. "Mrrrr...."

kreenlover
2014-03-06, 03:53 PM
The dawn light brings with it a chance to better see the rooms that you are in.

The room is beautiful. Large bay windows are set on either side of glass doors out ton a balcony. From the balcony you can see behind the Castle; there are several small gardens, and a path that winds away through some trees. Beyond the little forested area three tall mountain peaks rise up to cut off the sky.
The room has a four poster bed with curtains, a walk in closet, an adjoining bathroom, and many other nice things.
Through one door is the bathroom; through the other is the rest of your little suite. A sitting room with comfy armchairs and a fireplace, along with another door leading into a small dining area, should you choose to take your meals in your room.
What luggage you had has already been put away in the drawers and closet.

Your rooms are currently spartan, but nice. A chest of drawers and a wardrobe sit across the room from the bed. A basin stands in one corner with a mirror. Three windows look out over cliffs below. Far below these cliffs fall into a large body of water.
Your beds are comfy, and big enough for two if necessary.
Your luggage sits across the room from you, by the wardrobe and the drawers.

Your rooms are small, and utilitarian. A bed, a basin, and a desk with a three legged stool greet you when you awake. There is a small chest of drawers for your things.
The things in question sit just inside the door.

DracoDei
2014-03-06, 06:38 PM
Nathan gets up and heads either to breakfast, or inquires of a more experienced servant (in either case taking only his healer's kit with him):

"I was told I would be starting bright and early. Since there is no way of predicting when illness or injury may strike, I can only assume I'm to be giving physical examinations today. Where should I set up for that and how would I find out who I will be seeing? Are there any sort of medical records on file around here? Probably not, but it never hurts to check."

He carefully washes his hands before his word-day starts.

D20ragon
2014-03-06, 07:42 PM
Willow springs up, eyes dazzled by the sunlight pouring in through the window.
The rain had gone, and in its place the sun shone brightly, as if trying to make up for its poor performance yesterday. The sky was still strewn with dark, dramatic clouds, the last hangers on of the storm.
She had forgotten how nice soft beds were. The comforter and silk sheets seemed almost unearthly against her skin, accustomed to hay, rough sheets, or cold ground.
Hurriedly, she pulled on stockings and shoes, rejecting a more beautiful formal dress in favor of a light yellow play one, and, splashing some cold water on her face, crept out into the hall.
She was now, she decided, the Pirate Duchess Alina Stormwise, trapped in the palace of the Dread King Dragon.
The halls might be filled with his vile servitors! She thought, as she peered around a corner, ready to spring back at the first sign of anybody.
She had been trapped in a dungeon for days, she decided, and the first thing she must do was creep down to the kitchens and snatch something to fill her belly.
She was making ready to brave the spiral stairs, when she encountered a problem.
If she had been in a dungeon, why was she not in one now? Who had let her out?
Hmmmmm. Perhaps not a dungeon....
Ah! That was it! The Dread Dragon had stolen ShadowShiver, her famed sword. And without their sword, what is a Pirate Duchess?
Motive rediscovered, Willow crept down towards what she hoped was the kitchen.

kreenlover
2014-03-06, 08:19 PM
A maid sees you walking about and pauses to answer your questions.
"You'll be wantin' ta talk ta Brother Caleb" she says as she looks him over. Her accent seems familiar, but hard to place "He's tha one in charge of the medicine and healin' of the staff. If you're plannin on doin' physicals though, I wouldn't mind one meself"
She giggles as she points Nathan in the direction of the castle's chapel.

Not three staircases, four corridors, and five chambers later, you are lost. You turn a corner, and suddenly the suit of plate mail beside you shakes violently.
It steps off the pedestal, and begins to raise its arms, the sword coming with them, clenched in gauntlets.

The honest illusionist
2014-03-06, 08:50 PM
Finnegan squinted as the light poured into his room. He could see very well in the dark, far better than most humans he knew, but the light filled in the details. Finnegan approved of his accommodations. Practical, he thought.

He got out of bed and walked towards the nearest window, to cliffs and greenery. The castle may have been a magnificent eroding wreck, but from here the view was spectacular. Finnegan thought of the kobolds, waking up to a dawn such as this. He thought of the dawn songs that Arda, the infamous Kobold bard, had sung in his honour.

Finnegan dressed for the day's work, concealing his failsafe below his shirt and vest. He heard something outside. A voice. Perhaps the doctor's.

Before opening the door, Finnegan briefly pauses and remembered the carriage servant's words, to the effect of the Master of Castle Strange not allowing liars in his court. Well, Finnegan thought, let's see if he can catch me.

Finnegan knew Master Dustham would send for him, so he had no intention of straying too far from his room, but he was eager to make acquaintances. Perhaps there would be some way to gain the trust of the new arrivals. He already seemed to have Mariah's support—perhaps, Finnegan thought, we should compare notes. Maybe she's uncovered some of that mystery of hers.

Finnegan opened the door, to meet with the servants he could find before he was called away to serve with Master Dustham.

Finnegan will be attempting to make acquaintances with and gather information of rumour from whatever servants and family he has time to chat up.

Diplomacy [roll0]
Gather information [roll1]

dark.sun.druid
2014-03-06, 10:51 PM
Demer awoke just before the sun came up, as the horizon was turning light blue in anticipation of the day. There was enough light in her room to see; the place was bare to a fault. She had certainly slept in worse conditions though, especially in the early years...

As the sun crept over the horizon, Demer washed her face and hair in the basin. She wasn't used to having hair this long, and she managed to soak her back as she washed. Lacking any sort of towel, she dried herself using a corner of the sheets before pulling on her armor and clothing. The armor was comfortable and hardly noticeable, designed for concealment as it was, and she always felt safer with it on. She proceeded to strap her stiletto to her leg, but decided against the rest of her weapons.

She rummaged through her things as her hair air dried. It wouldn't do to carry all of this around all day. She elected to bring one pouch full of items and leave the rest in her room. She placed her candles on the desk -- perhaps she should get some writing implements, along with the little mirror that she brought.

Her more sensitive items she hid out of sight. She flipped her mattress over and, using one of her spare daggers, cut a small slit in the covering. She carefully stowed the rest of her items in the hay, being careful to keep the small vials away from anything that might crack them.

Finally she tied her headband into her nearly-dry hair and left the room. She decided the kitchen would be a good first port-of-call, and so she headed off in the rough direction she expected she would find it in...

DracoDei
2014-03-06, 10:53 PM
"Thank you kindly ma'am, and I do hope that brother Caleb and I can discover the nature of your ailment." he replies, hoping to set things on a more professional track by ignoring what he sees as a quite unprofessional, and indeed, grossly improper in a general sense remark.

Bluff to say that with as much of a straight face as possible.
[roll0]

He then sets off to find his boss? Coworker?
Sickness shall be prevented or cured, and the injured made well... that is all that matters in the end.

Celesyne
2014-03-10, 11:51 AM
Roma had never really gone to sleep. She'd laid and snuggled against Mara until Mara had gone still and sleepies... and she'd stopped petting her. Roma had never understood why Mara'd always taken off her fur in order to sleepies.. but that didn't matter much. Once Mara'd drifted off to sleepies, Roma'd fled the bed and spent the better part of a few hours prowling the room. There wasn't much here, a few of the hoomun... wooden things they sat and played on, but they didn't mean much to Roma. What did matter to her was the skitterings of itty bitty feets she'd heard on the stone floor. Those were the itty bitty feetsies of mousies! She'd get one now, especially since no one had given her any food at diiner.... well... she'd snuck little bites... but... those didn't count.... Mara always gave her her own noms. She jumped down from the tall wooden thing and---

Her little head jerked up from beneath the blankets, eyes foggy and jaw wide in a yawn. What had happened? Ohhhh...... She'd fallen asleep with the Mara pettins her.... and was now trapped underneath her.... Claws dug into the bed and strained, but she couldn't pull herself free without disturbing the woman.... "Mrrrrreow....."

kreenlover
2014-03-10, 12:28 PM
The maid winks at Nathan as he walks away.
"So professional...I like that"
After a while you find the small chapel at the far end of the Wing.
A man stands inside, bowing to a statuette, and performing a small ritual.
Finally he finishes and turns towards you. His eyes narrow in dislike.
"You must be the new 'Doctor'. Well, I've looked after this household, seen to their aches and pains, for fifteen years now, by myself. I don't need you help, and did not want it. But since you are here, lets get started"
He rolls up his sleeves and leads you to a small room next door.
"We'll be seeing the staff today. They get to complain about any aches and pains, and then we answer their questions, fix whatever we can, get medicine for the rest, and send them on their way. Understand?"

As you struggle to get free you see movement across the room. Its a mouse...

The servants are very polite to you, and many seem quite taken with your charm. The one runs up.
"Mister Finnegan? Master Dustham wants you now. Follow me please"
And so begins a day of hard work learning how to buttle.

"A Miss Mariah. Excellent" Another maid passes you a bowl of porridge and a bun.
"Eat up, hurry, and then come back. We'll be scrubbing the floors today you and I"

DracoDei
2014-03-10, 12:45 PM
"Certainly." replies Nathan, not wishing to get caught up in politics... at least not until he understood the situation well enough to actually argue his case, and to know if it was a lost cause to do so or not.

The honest illusionist
2014-03-10, 09:17 PM
Finnegan followed the servant, feeling quite certain he could buttle with the best of them. Along the way to meet with Master Dustham he chatted with the servant, briefly trading anecdotes about the Kobold ethnographies he ghost-penned for Lord Brightly (truly a noble people, the kobolds, there is much we could learn from their so-called savage culture).

"Ah, I'm sorry," Finnegan apologized, "here I am rambling, and I haven't even asked your name. I beg your pardon."

kreenlover
2014-03-10, 09:37 PM
"David. David Drakhollow. It used to be Darkhollow, but a spelling error on an official form made us into the Drakhollows. And no worries, I've been enjoying hearing about your travels"

After a long day of work (which we can go into further if you'd like, I'm just trying to sync timelines) you are sent to the infirmary for a physical inspection.
Nathan, the Doctor who you arrived with, is waiting for you.

The servants pass by in a long line of questions, tediousness, and odd ailments.
"My back hurts right here"
"...You have a tick the size of a rat in the small of your back"
"Oh, so thats where he went! I've been looking for little Robert for a while! Try not to hurt him will you?"
And so on.
After a long time Finnegan, the man who arrived at the same time as you, walks into your room.

The honest illusionist
2014-03-10, 10:05 PM
"Ah," Finnegan said, "the Good Samaritan from the bar. I noticed you were scribbling away with charcoal sketches before we departed. I hear it's quite common for those in the medical professions to have a fascination with structure and form."

Finnegan shook Nathan's hand, "I am Finnegan Morningstar, and I am in good spirits and suffer from no malaise. Yet I was brought down here for a consultation. I am sure this will be a waste of your talents."

Finnegan paused, "Out of curiosity, what brought a defender of the weak and downtrodden like yourself to Castle Strange?"

DracoDei
2014-03-10, 10:50 PM
"Oddly enough, the art and medicine are somewhat separate interests for me, although, of course, they do overlap from time to time. I mostly do still life's and the occasional landscape.

As for this being a waste of my talents... perhaps not, especially if some of the rumors I've heard about this place are true. Or rather, you could be as healthy as you will ever be, and this little examination could still save someone's life in an emergency. Perhaps yours, perhaps mine, perhaps someone else's it is a little complicated, and I'd prefer to explain AFTER I've taken your measure physically.

As for what brought me here... gainful employment actually. You could say I just graduated with my medical degree. I've a bit of an inheritance, but it was mostly in certain goods that I very much prefer NOT to be parted from. In other words, the weak can be located and defended almost anywhere, but employers willing to hire someone with an diploma written in a language that I can't even read are somewhat rarer."
[/QUOTE]

For all my patients I'm going to be paying especial attention to... well, I've had a pretty long day IRL, so I'm just going to say this in game terms rather than trying to find an in-world way of saying it. I'd like to be able to put as many people as possible in a rough ranking by their hitpoints and maybe separately by fortitude save. That way I'll know who to hit with my Gifts if there is some sort of attack pr a fire where the flames are actually more dangerous than the smoke (hitpoints) or a normal fire or a nasty disease going around (fortitude save).

Myth-weavers won't let me look at my sheet just at the second, so I can't properly roll a heal check for that... or multiple heal checks if necessary.

dark.sun.druid
2014-03-11, 01:09 AM
Demer drank the thick porridge straight out of the bowl, using the bun to mop the insides clean. She saved a little bit of the bun by stuffing it into her pocket, and whenever the maids weren't looking she would rip a small piece off and drop it into her clothes where Artemis was hiding. It wouldn't do for him to be seen out and about in the kitchen.

When she was finished, Demer asked the maid,

"Where can I find the cleaning supplies, ma'am?"

The honest illusionist
2014-03-11, 10:00 AM
"Certainly," Finnegan surreptitiously dismissed his invocations, so as to avoid any detection of his magical gifts.

"Doctor," Finnegan asked, somewhat more anxiously without his glammer, "how confidential are your check ups? Can I expect the same assurance of privacy from you as I would expect from one with more traditional credentials?"

DracoDei
2014-03-11, 12:24 PM
"Oh, well... hmm... you've caught me in a bit of a bind there to be perfectly honest. It isn't that I wouldn't follow the rules, it is that I don't actually KNOW all the fine details of the medical ethics of our motherland, so I'll just have to follow my own conscience if anything REALLY tricky comes up. So yes, I keep confidentiality and all that, but I haven't actually had three terms of courses in the subject. I'm making it up as I go, until I can do a bit of research at a medical library.

Let me five you some for-instances... and I'll turn away so as not to see the look on your face at each item..."

He does so, making sure there are no mirrors by which they might catch eachother's eyes.

"If I should find an old stab-wound, and you should let slip some incriminating circumstances under which you received it, then I would not be contacting the police.

If I should find something more recent, I'd wish to make sure that the matter would be lawfully resolved, and might need to consult with my superior, or at least ask him for his books.

If I should find that you have a disease of an... intimate nature, then I'd keep that to myself until and unless I should fine someone else with the same disease but a more recent infection, in which case I should ask about you by name to them if they did not supply a name without such direct prompting and give you the chance to make reparations, and my personal opinion of you would drop. I'd also wish to head off such necessity if I should be aware that you were wooing one of the female staff dishonorably... and just possibly if honorably as well.

If I should find that you have a disease of a less embarrassing, but more easily communicable nature, concerns of quarantine would override those of privacy, but only to the extent necessary for prudence.

If I should be asked questions by the police... I should probably retain the services of a barrister to advise me.

If you are a sorcerer or some such, I would be surprised that you would wish that kept secret, since anyone with an ounce of sense knows that the whole 'blood of the dragons' thing is just a theory, and besides which, I've heard that not all dragons are ravaging monsters. In other words, my chief challenge would be to avoid humor about the situation, and I suspect I am entirely up to that.

If you are concerned about our employer, know that, in general, my loyalty to my patents outweighs my loyalty to him.

I've seen the effects of the opium addiction and drunkardliness first hand. I'll not inform anyone if you wish to break yourself of either, although I MIGHT feel it necessary to give fair warning to any one considering placing long-term trust in you if you are an unrepentant over-user of opium. You want to negotiate a deal on behalf of a third party, that's fine, but if you are going to be contracted to maintain that arrangement over years... I might feel it necessary to inform him before he leans on a broken reed as it were.

I'm not the best at subterfuge, so I can't guarantee that my poker face if whatever topic comes up in public conversation, or ability to keep what medical supplies I'm ordering secret will be flawless, but I'll do my best. It will be much harder if you don't trust my colleague, who, I'm given to understand, DOES follow all the normal ethics for this country."

The honest illusionist
2014-03-11, 04:51 PM
Finnegan laughed, of course the doctor was unlikely to find anything unusual, and would likely disregard it if he did. There were all kinds of unusual characters entering the castle, whatever Finnegan was would be unlikely to raise any alarm.

"I am sorry old chap, though I must say my irrational fears have been more than well assured. I have been trained as a legal advocate and negotiator, you see, so I've always been frightfully careful about the privacy of sensitive information, even when I have precious little to hide." While Finnegan was suppressing his gift, he had his entire lifetime of experience in duplicity.

"I will cease my pedantic fussing, though I would be honored to debate with you after the physical exam. It's been a long time since I have had the privilege of discussing ethics, and you seem to have quite the capacity for explaining your nuanced views."

Bluff check, un-augmented by Beguiling Influence: [roll0]

DracoDei
2014-03-11, 05:45 PM
"Perhaps we could at that... now if you will take off your shirt, we can get started."

The honest illusionist
2014-03-11, 07:23 PM
"Yes, by all means," Finnegan agreed. "Just give me a minute, won't you? Disrobing my tie, vest and suspenders can be of some trouble. It would be easier to dress as a peasant, but I fear I would not be taken seriously..."

Finnegan unclasped the incriminating necklace, careful to conceal it beneath the cloth of his shirt. Who knows what this strange doctor is capable of knowing? In the unlikely event the doctor could identify it for what it was on sight, Finnegan's plans would be over before they began—and would likely end in needless bloodshed. Using the infernal device wasn't part of Finnegan's plan, but he knew it was well within the necklace's abilities to utterly incinerate all but the hardiest warriors...

It now occurred to Finnegan that he could have pocketed the necklace while the doctor's back was turned. He would have to be more careful.

Bluff: Finnegan is lying about having trouble with his tie and suspender straps. [roll0]

DracoDei
2014-03-11, 09:33 PM
Sense Motive [roll0]

(Going to assume that since you didn't roll sleight of hand, and I beat your bluff I DO notice the necklace.)
Huh? He's leaving something out? Maybe something to do with that necklace.

Oh, well, whatever, hardly matters. I suppose he COULD have stolen that necklace from some place, but if so I'll have to be discrete in my inquiries to the police when I am next in town. I don't GUESS doctor-patient confidentiality would apply to such an item unless perhaps he had swallowed it and was suffering from digestive distress... Nathan thinks to himself.

Nathan proceeds with the examination, which is... surprisingly thorough, venturing into areas more appropriate for someone entering the army than a mere disease prevention method.

(Feel free to ask about the thoroughness, or to just chat more.)

kreenlover
2014-03-11, 11:36 PM
"Ah, no need to stand on ceremony with me. I'm just like you, a maid"
The woman smiles and presses a bucket and a mop into your hands.
"The name is Daisy"
She's a pretty curl with bouncing red curls and an impish face.
"You were one of the ones who arrived new right? So you'd be knowing that cute Doctor man then? I asked him to give me a physical examination, as I don't like old Caleb looking at me, and he seemed quite miffed, I don't know why. Well, come along. Lets get mopping"

After a long day of cleaning floors she points you towards the infrimary.
"You'd best be going to see the new Doctor"

Demer is shooed into the room by the maid who talked to you in the hallway earlier.
"Oh, by the way Doctor, my name is Daisy. If your schedule isn't too busy I was hoping you could fit me in; I'd rather not have to see Caleb for the examination"

DracoDei
2014-03-12, 12:00 AM
"Yes, Demer if you could wait outside while I see to her *Points to Daisy* I think that would be best."

He escorts Demer out, making sure to leave the door open about 2 inches.

(We can play out Daisy's appointment or not as you like kreenlover.)

Celesyne
2014-03-12, 10:20 AM
Oh... oh... oh! Mousey! Her eyes went wide, pupils taking up almost their entirety as her belly grumbled at her in her predicament. She wasn't REALLY hungry.... since Mara had got her the shiny rock above her head she played with... she never actually really got hungry or thirsty at all anymore... but she still really really liked her noms... Claws dug deeply into bed and little muscles flexed and squeezed her out from under and between the fur-less woman's chest and onto the bed proper. Head and shoulders hunched down as low as they could get, eyes locked on her juicy, juicy prey. Rear and tail up in the air as she poised for the moment... and... Her rear and tail waggled just a bit only a moment before she launched herself out across the room, tongue hanging from the side of her mouth. Roma would have a great morning noms today!!

D20ragon
2014-03-12, 11:09 AM
A maid sees you walking about and pauses to answer your questions.
"You'll be wantin' ta talk ta Brother Caleb" she says as she looks him over. Her accent seems familiar, but hard to place "He's tha one in charge of the medicine and healin' of the staff. If you're plannin on doin' physicals though, I wouldn't mind one meself"
She giggles as she points Nathan in the direction of the castle's chapel.

Not three staircases, four corridors, and five chambers later, you are lost. You turn a corner, and suddenly the suit of plate mail beside you shakes violently.
It steps off the pedestal, and begins to raise its arms, the sword coming with them, clenched in gauntlets.

Willow leaps sideways, heart in her mouth.
Was she actually in the lair of the Dread Dragon?
She didn't recall her games being quite so real.
"Hello?"
She calls nervously.
"Is somebody in there? Are you stuck?"

kreenlover
2014-03-12, 11:25 AM
"Thank you Doctor. See, I was hoping that you could do my physical because I don't like Brother Caleb. He always... well, he always strikes me as odd. I don't like the feel of his eyes on me as he gives me the physical. So I am very grateful that you could do so instead"
She looks around and passes you a wooden tube, then turns around and lowers the back of her dress.
"He usually starts by listening to my heartbeat and breathing"

{You can do the RPs (hers and Demer's) simultaneously if you like}

As you lunge for the mouse it scampers into a hole in the wainscotting. Thankfully you are still small enough that you can fit in after it.
Mara rolls over behind you and begins to rub at her eyes as you dart into the small network of tunnels.
The mouse leads you on a merry chase through a set of passages, some small, some human sized, that run through the walls of the Castle. Eventually you manage to catch it as it scurries across a hallway. A bit of a ways down you can see the nice lady who petted you yesterday trying to pull the helmet off a suit of armour. A top hat sits beside you.

"Yes"
The voice is quite muffled until the hands raise not to strike with the sword bu to push the visor of the helm up.
"Hello Miss Willow" Cousin Xavier smiles at you.
"I see to be stuck again. I really need to stop poking at that teleportation wheel. I swear it has a sense of humour, sticking me into these suits of armour"
He tries to shake his head, but it sticks.
"Would you mind helping me out of it? Oh, and my top hat should be somewhere around here; try not to step on it please"

DracoDei
2014-03-12, 12:52 PM
"Well, I'm sorry to say I'm odd myself. But hopefully in a much more pleasant manner! Perhaps we can counter oddity with more oddity. Would you mind if I did your and Demer's examines at the same time, alternating between the two of you?

I assure you that my procedures today will be nothing you couldn't find in an army, and that they are purely functional.

It all comes down to that I've heard some odd things about this place, and, as a healer with some talents that differ from those of most of the clergy, I need to know a few things about my clients that will allow me to plan out what to do should some sort of dire emergency strike."

((Diplomacy [roll0]))

Celesyne
2014-03-13, 11:24 AM
Ah-hah! She had it! It squirmed under her paws and she licked her teeth in antici-- Ohs? Where was she? Oooh! The hoomun girl who had petted her at the noms table last ni--

The mouse skittered out from under her distracted claws... and she only half-chased it for a second. Her curiosity was piqued. Why was she talking to the big metal hoomun looking thingy? And what was the big black thingy on the floor? She nosed at the brim.. managing to hook her nose under just barely and lift the edge before backing away and dropping it. There was a.... a.... space... inside the thing... Maybe the space had tasty noms... Likes the greasy meaty pie Mara had gotted for her a long time agos! She barely gave it any more thought, licking her teeth again as she nosed up under and into the hat.

It was dark... Maybe the noms were over he- her nose bumped into a wall... She turned around to get out and immediately bumped into another wall. She was... she was trapped... She pushed at the wall with her head... and the wall moved! But then the other wall bumped into her rear! The walls were chasing her!! She pushed against the wall again, running around almost frantically. She had to get away from the wall!!

D20ragon
2014-03-13, 11:42 AM
Willow could barely contain a giggle at the sight of Xavier's predicament.
"Oh dear! I really shouldn't laugh, I know it's rather wicked of me, but you do look so! Funny!"
She leans against a wall, helpless with laughter for a moment.
"You know, I really thought you were a demon of some sort, or a ghost, you know, when you moved all of a sudden like that.
But oh! I'm terribly sorry, I'm going on like this.
Here, I'll loosen some of the buckles.

There, is that better? I'm afraid I don't know much about armor so..."

Something caught Willows eye.
The fine black hat of Xavier's was laying some three feet from her, but it was bumping about in the most absurd manner.
Willow picked it up, gingerly, and peered inside.
The small, soft kitten she had seen at dinner was inside!
"Oh you poor thing! How on earth did you get stuck in there? Here you go."
She scooped the kitten up and put it on her shoulder, rubbing between it's ears and petting its chin.
"Cousin Xavier, there was a kitty in your hat!
And speaking of your hat..."
She picked that up hastily,
"I'm afraid you can't have it back until you show me the teleport thingamajig. I never get to see magic."
She grinned mischievously.
"And also, you must promise to be my friend, and to let me follow you about, and to play with me sometimes.
I haven't had a proper friend since the plague. Since then it's only been Samantha, and she's frightfully dull, and only talks about boys she's going to marry, and she called me a urchin once, and she doesn't even have a castle!"
Here Willow stamped her foot.
"And her father was only a lord, and she thought she was better then me when everyone knows that a counts better then a lord, and she was most awfully stuck up. So you see, I'm afraid you can't have your hat until you promise.
The kitty can sleep in it, if she pleases, in the meantime."

The honest illusionist
2014-03-13, 05:41 PM
Finnegan ducked into an empty room and renewed his invocation. He sensed in his bones and sinew that the doctor would be trouble. It is never good, Finnegan thought, to have an inquisitive man of high ethical standards present when trying to run a grift. Especially not one with standing as high as a doctor's. Did he mention a superior? Perhaps I could conspire to have the doctor dismissed.

In the meantime, Finnegan still needed to make himself indespensible to Master Dustham or Master Strange AND, let's not forget, get the infernal gems of probable self-immolation off his bloody neck!

Finnegan decides to seek out David Drakhollow, a positive acquaintance within the castle, for information regarding the availability of Master Dustham or Master Strange, as well as whatever David knows about the castle. Perhaps cloaked in the guise of trading anecdotes...

Celesyne
2014-03-14, 11:29 AM
Oh...oh! There was light! And there was the girl from the noms table again! Before she knew it , Roma was up in the air and on a shoulder, gettin all sorts of pets! It was very very nices. She continued to rub her head and face against the girl's cheek and chin long after she'd stopped scratching her. Though... now she was talkin to the big metally... hoomun thing... again. And she had the black thingy in her hands.... Roma didn't like the black thingy... Wait... why did the girl think Roma wanted to sleep in it? The black thingy had tried to trap and eat Roma! Roma wanted nothing to do with the black thingy! She reached out with a paw and swatted repeatedly at the black thingy, trying to smack it from her hands before she put Roma back in its mouth...

D20ragon
2014-03-14, 03:47 PM
"Oh kitty! Do you not like the hat? Well, I won't put you in it then.
But if cousin Xavier doesn't promise, you must scratch it all over with your clever little claws."

kreenlover
2014-03-15, 11:03 PM
"Ah, Master Finnegan! How good to see you again"
David sits on a bench outside the kitchen. He stands up from tying his shoes and looks both ways down the hallway.
"You heading somewhere in particular?"

"Ok, ok, I relent! I promise! Just don't scratch my hat kitty cat"
Xavier moves his arms enough to take off the helmet and the breastplate.
"It'll have to do. Now, if you wish to see the device, come with me"
Xavier turns and walks briskly down the corridors of the Castle, shedding pieces of armour as he goes. Finally he is down to just his suit again. He turns, smiles, and suddenly his cane flies out of his sleeve, pops his hat out of Willow's hands, and deposits it on his head.
"I learned that from the stage magicians in Qorks"
He turns back in time to run into a door.
"Ouch" he says from the floor "I learned that from my brother"
He stands up, dusts himself off, and throws the door open with a flourish.
"I present to you Miss Willow, Miss Cat, the Marvelous Map!"
The room is dusty and old. Rays of sunlight filter down through the dust to strike the far wall. And on the far wall is a magnificent piece of blank canvas.
"Oh. It was different the last time I was here"
Xavier walks up and taps the canvas. "C'mon, I promised Willow I'd show you to her. Don't make a liar of me canvas"
Finally Xavier leaps back as the canvas begins to scrawl lines of ink across its surface.
It shows the room that you are standing in, the hallway it took to get there, and, some ways off, a round room with a spiral in the center of it.
"I don't know what that spiral room is, but it always shows it, no matter what other room it focuses on.
"Anyways, this is the magical map! I hope that you like it. What happens is, if you aren't careful, it'll teleport you to wherever you are touching. And it likes to deposit you inside of suits of armour for some odd reason"

You see the castle before you. It has been a long walk through the hills to get here, but you may have finally caught up with your brother. Hopefully.
As the sun sets at the end of a long day you finally reach the large imposing iron bound oak doors. A large knocker in the shape of a dragon's head (The mouth holds the knocker) awaits beside the doors.

The castle looms above you, foreboding and dark. Almost evil as night falls. You see as it stretches away above you, something sinister about it. But you got here, its too late to turn back.
You can see the fall below you; the water crashes against the rocks below at the bottom of the long cliff.
The window before you finally creaks open with a final jimmying of the hinges.

The honest illusionist
2014-03-16, 08:23 AM
"Just seeking out good conversation in an unfamiliar castle, if you're not too busy." Finnegan joins David on the bench.

"You've been here a longer than me, and I thought you would have some perspective. How have you been enjoying your tenure at Castle Strange? I'm sure these halls are rich with stories."

Gather information: [roll0]

Arch warrior
2014-03-16, 09:24 AM
James goes and knocks with the knocker. He then waits for someone to arrive and then says. "I am sorry sire (or madam if it is a women), but my brother has found a way to sneak away from me and this looks like the kind of place that he would go. Would you mind if I had a look around for him? You may have someone keep an eye on me if it is any concern to you.:vaarsuvius:

LordotTrinkets
2014-03-16, 09:55 AM
Jimmy looks long and hard up at the window. The best way for him to get in is by being unseen, and this is probably the most unseeable. He hides behind a bush as he pulls a dose of suregrip powder (+1 Alchemical bonus to Climb) out of his backpack and applies it.

Jimmy walks up to the wall and is about to spit on his hands... He quickly realizes how counter-productive that would be.

Climb [roll0]

D20ragon
2014-03-16, 12:24 PM
Willow bent towards the map, her nose almost touching the parchment.
It smelled of old age, and importance, of leather and thick books. But at the same time there was an electricity about it, lightning and rain and cloves and cinnamon mingling to make a odd, but not entirely off-putting scent.
So this is what magic smells like....
She wrinkled her nose.
"So you've never been to the spiral room? How come?"

Celesyne
2014-03-16, 12:27 PM
Ohs? What was this? The wall thingy was gettin covered in all sorts of... of ... of scratches... It made a very pretty picture. Still... Roma was curious. How had the metal hoomun made the wall go all... scritchey? She couldn't really investigate from here... and it was too high up for her to..

She hopped to the floor from her perch on the girl and skittered behind a dusty old... old dusty thing. She was only back there a few seconds... and then she came walking out, wide eyed and curious. All barely three feet of naked, extraordinarily pale her. Her tail flitted around behind her idly in her curiosity, black cat ears with little tufts of white poked out of her almost shoulder length black hair. She didn't seem bothered by her complete nudity in any manner, and in fact seemed completely comfortable. She walked right past the pair of hoomuns and investigated it closely, scritching beside her ear in her deep thought. "How metal hoomun make wall all skritchy? Roma no can skritchy wall... Wall hurt Roma's claws if Roma try... but... but hoomun made wall all skritchy..."

She poked at the lines, smudging with a cla- finger... to see if they would come off...

D20ragon
2014-03-16, 01:15 PM
Willow stared in frank surprise at the little cat girl, forgetting to even be embarrassed at the nudity.
Something about her seemed familiar...
Where was the kitty?
Willow cast about distractedly, her eyes fixed on the cat-girls ears and tail.
They looked soft....
Willow put out a cautious hand, and felt the ear. It was soft, very much so.
"Are you the kitty?"
She asked doubtfully, her hand still petting the ear absently.
"Perhaps you could teach me how to turn into a cat..."
She mused.
"Would you be my friend? Because I would rather like to be friends with you, I think, unless you'll claw me. You won't, will you?"
Willow continues, a little breathless.

kreenlover
2014-03-16, 01:21 PM
"Oh they are. They really are. Its been...interesting. Did you want to hear about the time that there was a ghost?
"So, it started out a few weeks ago. Things were going missing all the time, disappearing, then reappearing, and nobody had any idea what was going on. And then people started to see a mysterious figure all in white, almost see-through, walking around the halls.
"Well, after a few scares the Master eventually came out of his rooms and went to talk to it. They wandered and had a long conversation, then the master went back into his rooms, and the ghost left. It was quite amazing actually.
"But, yah, its been really great. Have they told you about the days off and payment package yet? Its good. Twice a month they drive you down into town, and all the way up to Qorks if you like. And asides from your usual payment of one gold piece a day, they give you an extra twenty to spend however you like. So, you're really making seventy gold a month here! At this rate I'll soon have enough saved up to help my mother and family move out of the slums"

An older man opens a smaller door set into the wall to your left. You had not noticed it until it opened.
"Yes? How may I help you?"
Then "Ah yes, most unfortunate. Well, I suppose you can come in after the long walk up here. I'll get someone to show you around"
He rings a bell, and waves you into a small room. There is another door leading off of that into presumably the main entry, but he sits in his chair and motions for you to sit in the other chair by the fire.
"Did you walk all the way up here?" he asks as another young butler walks in.

You ascend the wall quickly enough, and haul yourself through the window. You almost fall back out when you hear a pop, there is a flash of light, and suddenly a three foot tall naked woman with cat ears and a tail appears before you.

The hall you find yourselves in is wide enough, and brightly lit by the many windows. Despite the sun being on its way down now you can easily enough see that there are no other visible exits from the hallway.

"Well, I can't find it. For one, the map doesn't always take you to where you are pointing so I can't get close, and it never ever activates while you touch the spiral room. Plus, if you look closely at the room, you can see that there are no-MY GOD WHAT?!?!?"
He flails backwards and falls over as Roma walks out from behind the chair. You can both see his cheeks have turned bright bright red and he is trying his best to look anywhere but at Roma.
As such he is not looking when Roma vanishes with a flash and a pop.
He looks back at Willow at the sound.
"Well crap. Now we need to go find her. And get her some clothes" His cheeks get even redder as he says that last line.

I can't find a video or image of what Xavier does, but it is that kind of flailing arms jerking back on one foot astonished/scared reaction that you sometimes see in animes.
Also, what he was going to say is that there are no doors into or out of the room.

Arch warrior
2014-03-16, 01:36 PM
James response with ""Why yes I did. I am currently looking for a place that is interested in hiring a young Wizard, and I usually keep my brother with me because, well, it just isn't safe to leave him alone for too long."

D20ragon
2014-03-16, 01:59 PM
Willow fumbles, and places her finger firmly where the kitty/girl had disappeared.
"Come on then!"
She manages, before she is whisked away.
(Perhaps)

LordotTrinkets
2014-03-16, 02:33 PM
Jimmy's face flushes as he covers his face with his deerstalker cap.
"Of all of the rooms I could have climbed into," he thinks to himself, "Why did I have to manage to climb into the 'women's dorm'!"

As he looks away, Jimmy notices that he isn't in a room at all... He's in a HALLWAY!

Jimmy's heart starts pounding as he pulls his hat over his eyes all the more and asks the lady a question. Exu-exuse me, but sh-shouldn't you be wearing... CLOTHES?"

kreenlover
2014-03-16, 03:12 PM
You hear Xavier say "No wait!" before you disappear with a flash and a pop.
Wherever you are, its dark, and wet. You can hear dripping coming from behind you.
As you try and turn you realize that you are in a very very cramped space. As you turn you notice a set of rungs behind you, and a ray of light coming through a hole in the wall. If you put your eye to it you can see a nervous looking man with a deerstalker pulled over his face halfway through the window.
At about hand level there is a doorknob.

"You wish to be hired on? We can always use more butlers, and your magical expertise may make...something easier. I am sure that we can find you a job. In the meantime, why don't you go with young Mathias there and see if you can't find your brother?"
Mathias nods to you.
"I'll take you to the servants dining hall. Its as good a place to start as any. There, or maybe the stables"
With that he turns, and begins to descend a staircase.

Arch warrior
2014-03-16, 03:21 PM
James's respons is "Thank you for the offer. I will most certainly think about it. Yes I think that the dining hall would be a very good place to state of in."

For a search cheek in the dining hall [roll0]

kreenlover
2014-03-16, 04:17 PM
"Of course, that is fine. What did you need to know Doctor?"
oh, my, so sorry. I didn't know you were waiting on my response.

DracoDei
2014-03-16, 05:48 PM
"Well, lets start with how often you get sick, and what sorts of disease risks you expose yourselves to... caring for others with illness versus avoiding them, that sort of thing."

The exams continue from there.

(If things get this far.)

He is a bit surprised when he discovers Demer's armor.

"Prepared for the rumors about this place then are you? I've got a bit of armor in my room myself... just in case things get interesting."

The honest illusionist
2014-03-16, 09:57 PM
Finnegan wasn't sure what to make of these stories. "He spoke with the ghost. And it left? That's—I've never heard of that happening. What is the Master like? I've been in Castle Strange a night and a day and I've only heard people speak OF him. Do you know when he will be present?"

Celesyne
2014-03-17, 11:13 AM
Now where was this? The skritchy wall was gone.... There was another hoomun here... but... he appeared to be having problems wif his head thingy. So she didn't pay him much mind. What she was paying attention to was that someone had stopped skritching her ear... Why had they stopped... and where were they? She spun about, looking around the room... trying to find her way back to the skritchy wall room and dancing lightly with herself. "Roma go find girl from noms table... find Roma some noms. Roma hungries. Girl can pets Roma and skritch Roma's ears while Roma noms. Maybe Roma find mousie again... Roma had fun chasin mousie..."

D20ragon
2014-03-17, 11:16 AM
"Who's there?"
Willow calls as soon as she gets her breath back.
Then she ducks down as far as she can so the man can't see that she's there.

LordotTrinkets
2014-03-17, 11:27 AM
After hearing the Feline-woman leave, Jimmy lifts his head up a little bit in curiousity. "Roma?... Noms?... MOUSIE??..." Jimmy thinks to himself, "Hmm, she gives new meaning to the term 'crazy cat lady'.

"Who's There?" Comes a voice out of nowhere. Jim didn't know who said that or where they are, but he knew he had to hide. As such, he quickly ducks behind a suit of armor.

[roll0]

dark.sun.druid
2014-03-18, 03:21 AM
Demer was honestly surprised when the Doctor didn't seem more upset about the armor. He said he has some, too. Maybe I won't be so out of place here after all.
Her response was to blush as if embarrassed at having her secret discovered. She avoided the doctor's eyes when she said,
"I just don't feel safe when I'm not wearing it," and now she looked back at him, "You can understand that, can't you doctor?" Demer did her best to look demure and out of her depth, half smiling in what she imagined was a shy-girl sort of way and shrugging a little bit. "Do I have to take it off for the examination?"

kreenlover
2014-03-18, 09:56 AM
Daisy answers all your questions, is friendly but not improperly so, and leaves when you are done.

"Yep, it was incredible. As for what he is like? I don't know. Thats the only time I've ever seen him. He really sticks to his rooms more often than not. Almost always in fact"

Jimmy ducks behind the suit of armour just as it steps away from the wall.
There is a muffled cry of "Not again!" as it falls on its face.
There, unfortunately, no exits from this room.

D20ragon, you are looking through a peephole. There is no way he could see you.
Also, its really really hard to duck down in the pipe barely big enough for you to turn around in.

DracoDei
2014-03-18, 10:56 AM
"Unfortunately, yes, you do, just as with any yearly exam... but actually that might short-cut several aspects of my exam. I believe I mentioned that my exam would have aspects of the military? If you could tell me about any times that armor has been of utility to you, that could speed things along greatly. If not, we can do this the other way.

You don't need to tell me anything about the circumstances beyond what ways an enemy has managed to make contact with you with weapon or spell and how strong the attacks were.

Or is it entirely as-yet hypothetical threats that you wear that for?"

LordotTrinkets
2014-03-18, 12:46 PM
Jimmy sits behind where the suit of armor was for a few seconds. He stares at the suit of armor as it stands up with a blank expression, considering the entirety of the minute he's spent in Castle Strange. First a naked crazy cat lady... then voices coming out of the walls... NOW the suit of armor falls over as if this has HAPPENED before. He stands up and takes a deep, calm breath of air and says.

"This place is messed up!!!". Jimmy abandons all efforts of being stealthy and runs around frantically, trying to find an exit.

D20ragon
2014-03-18, 01:16 PM
Willow giggles despite herself, and turns the doorknob, stepping out into the hall.
She makes a mental note of the position of the secret door - always a good thing to have, and looks around.
Oh! There was the kitty girl!
"Over here!"
She calls softly.
"Can I pet your ears again? They were so soft and fuzzy."
Looking over at the running man, she calls out.
"Er... It's really not to bad, if one can get used to the strangeness. Oh! My names Willow. Who're you?"

kreenlover
2014-03-18, 03:16 PM
Xavier groans and rolls over. He pushes up the visor of his helmet and looks around.
"How come you guys get nicely dropped into the middle of the hallway?"
Then he sees Roma again, turns beet red, and slamming his visor shut, turns and runs the other way, only to collide with Jimmy.
"Ah, sorry about that. My name is Xavier, but please, call me Xavier. Who are you?"

LordotTrinkets
2014-03-18, 03:29 PM
Jimmy is stunned for a few seconds by the collision, but that fortunately gives him time to come up with a good excuse.

*clear's his throat* "I am John the third, my role in this house is the... 'security advisor'. You have recently dropped in on one of my security tests." He looks over at the window and shakes his head, "I'm most displeased with how poorly guarded that window is. *sigh* Oh well, I suppose I'll have to contract a wizard to place some abjurations on it."

[roll0]

D20ragon
2014-03-18, 03:41 PM
"Xavier! I'm sorry, I shouldn't have rushed off like that. Are we still friends?"

dark.sun.druid
2014-03-19, 11:52 AM
Demer paused... She was going to have to lie a little bit, it was only a matter of how much. After a moment of consideration, she decided that all the best lies were based in truth, and so she said,
"I grew up in a difficult neighborhood, in a smelting town. There were lots of large men there with bad tempers and strong arms, and I wasn't exactly the most popular person. I had to fend for myself a lot of the time. Naturally, I grew accustomed to wearing armor. I have heard the rumors about this, place, but even if I hadn't I wouldn't feel comfortable without my armor." She paused, considering the Doctor's question, "It's mostly protected me against attacks with blunt objects, pipes and the like, although it's saved me from being stabbed a couple times. I've never been attacked with magic."

Celesyne
2014-03-19, 01:08 PM
Oh?... Oh! There was all sorts of peoples in the place now.... There was the man from afores... he seemed to have fixed his head thingy now though... The metal hoomun appeared to be here toos, though he was tumbling around again. What about the... She heard a soft voice and turned to find the hoomun girl! Yay! She bounced in her little dance, twirling over to her side and cuddling up against her, rubbing her head against whatever she could reach. "Roma likes pets! Can pets Roma always!"

Still she was lost... and in want of much noms... and there was no door in this... this... long room. And the metal hoomun seemed to be super clumsy. "Metal hoomun always all fally and sillys? Roma sit on shoulder if needs help wif balances.... Roma use tail for helps wif balance! See!" She spun and pointed at the gently swaying tail.

kreenlover
2014-03-19, 03:26 PM
Xavier looks at Jimmy, then pumps his hand,
"I didn't know we had a...security adviser you said? Neat. Now, would you mind helping me get this suit off?"
Then Roma talks to him, he remembers she is there, looks, and then turns beet red (again) at the idea of her sitting on his shoulder.
"Actually, my thanks dear...Lady, but I was just startled. Here, why don't you put something on? Then it'll make things much easier, and I'll be less startled"
He turns to Jimmy and whispers. "My god, does she actually not know what decency is? I swear, if this keeps on, I'm going to have to blindfold myself"
He closes his eyes as he looks round towards Willow.
"Of course my dear Cousin! We needed to find this girl, and so you acted as any person should; you leaped to the task to try and save your friend. Umm, could you make sure that she is clothed though? Please?"

LordotTrinkets
2014-03-19, 03:36 PM
"Yeah, while you two take care of Lady Godiva here, I'm going to find an exit to this place." Jimmy walks off and takes a secret sigh of relief.

Search [roll0]

D20ragon
2014-03-19, 04:31 PM
"Of course! C'mon, we'll get some food first, all right? I'm starved."
Willow pauses, then turns back to Xavier.
"Errrr... Where are the kitchens, and my room?"

kreenlover
2014-03-19, 04:41 PM
There are no exits from the hallway except for the door that Willow opened. If she closed it, you cannot find it again.
"I...I am not quite sure Cousin. I have never been here before"

LordotTrinkets
2014-03-19, 05:52 PM
"Well, I suppose we could always get out through the window..."

The honest illusionist
2014-03-19, 08:59 PM
So this wasn't a precaution, the Master was indeed a recluse. That settles it then, Finnehan decided at that moment that he would have to seek his audience with Dustham. Still, it would be a risk. If he was to have any chance of his plan working, he would need aid.

This information about the Master of Castle Strange wasn't useful to Finnegan's schemes, but he knew of at least one party interested in the strange happenings of castle strange. The false peasant girl, Mariah. Finnegan would seek her out and offer his knowledge in exchange for whatever assistance she may be able to lend.

Finnegan thanked David Drakhollow for his company and made arrangements to meet again at the Great Library for the next day. Then he headed back towards the infirmary to meet again with the woman who calls herself Mariah.

DracoDei
2014-03-19, 10:34 PM
"All very interesting, but that only gets me about a quarter of the way to what I need to know. If you could describe the size and skill levels of your attackers, or even the specific blows that you took if your memory of any of the fights is clear enough, that might help me."

((OOC: You can just state that you cooperate if you like. He doesn't actually give a rat's butt about your history. It is about how resilient you are.))
He doesn't actually give a rat's butt about your history, he's going after your hitpoints and fortitude save so he can do mid-combat and disease triage regarding the usage of his spells.

Celesyne
2014-03-31, 11:09 AM
"Whats a.... Lady....got...if..a? No minds... Cloh-thes... hoomun furs? Roma no like hoomun furs... make Roma all itchy. tangle Roma up... and no room for Roma's tail eithers..." She grabbed a hold of the tip of her own black tail, holding it just in front of her... almost as if she were contemplating its plight. "And Roma already wearing Roma's fur, so Roma no needs!"

She skipped about the room slowly and softly, looking around for somewhere to go. Sadly her definition of places to go are a little different, as she looks along the molding of the walls for mousy holes, and under tables, chairs, and armor stands for somewhere warm... and wif noms. "Roma wish Mara was here.... Mara always know what do...."

DracoDei
2014-03-31, 11:49 PM
Dr. Dodgeworth makes a few notes on a piece of paper with a pencil (?), then folds it up and tucks it into his breast pocket.

"Well madam, that concludes the official, and not-quite-official interactions with us for the day... or at least I rather hope so! That having been said, you seem like a stalwart sort, and I'd like to have a bit of a look around this place... see how many of the rumors are true. What say you?"

dark.sun.druid
2014-04-01, 01:20 AM
Demer was somewhat surprised at the offer,

"Seriously?" she asked, a little bit skeptical, "I mean, I'd love to. I'm very curious about this place. The rumors are so strange! They couldn't all possibly be true, but I'd love to investigate. I just wasn't expecting that sort of invitation from the resident physician. I'm sorry if that sounds rude..."

She thought her response wasn't quite demure enough for the part she was playing here at the castle, but through the course of the examination she'd decided that the doctor was probably trustworthy; he didn't seem the type to betray anyone's confidence.

DracoDei
2014-04-01, 01:15 PM
"Physicians can't be curious? That is hardly logical. Besides which, if there is excitement to be found, then my being in the thick of it could protect people, and if there isn't then we will be wanting some company. Err... and besides which, some of my innate skills are difficult to develop the practical applications of outside of an VERY immediate emergency."

dark.sun.druid
2014-04-01, 07:23 PM
Demer nodded, acknowledging his point,

"You're right, one can never be too careful about that sort of thing. Well doctor, I would be honored to join you on your adventure!" Demer agreed, but at the same time she tried to make it sound as if she'd had no intention of going exploring on her own, "Lead the way!"

DracoDei
2014-04-01, 08:08 PM
"Well, the first thing I suggest is that we see if anyone else has a similar idea... we can keep them safe since I would be very surprised if any of the other new arrivals had been in real fights... besides which, safety in numbers."

Trying to provide an IC excuse for the third PC that was mentioned to join us.

The honest illusionist
2014-04-02, 06:52 PM
Finnegan retraced his steps through the halls of Castle Strange, until he found Mariah and the Nathan chatting outside the infirmary. They seemed to be talking about exploring the castle. She recruited the new doctor? Interesting.

"Oh, what luck!" Finnegan chimed, "Mariah, Doctor, good day. I had just heard the most peculiar story about the Master of Castle Strange." Finnegan looked over his shoulders before whispering:

"A seasoned butler swore on his life that he had seen a phantasmal apparition walk the halls of Castle Strange. It stole, stormed the halls, and wailed frightfully. Then Master Strange walked out of his chambers—the chambers he seldom leaves. The Master walked up to the apparition..." Finnegan paused for effect, and then with something like awe in his voice continued, "he spoke to the thing, it walked with him, and then the cursed being agreed to leave quietly."

"What do you make of that? I have never heard anything like it in all my life, and he swore he had seen it with his own eyes."

DracoDei
2014-04-02, 09:25 PM
"An interesting enough tale. A little politeness can go a long way, even in such cases. Do you think it is true?"

dark.sun.druid
2014-04-02, 11:14 PM
"That's... unusual," Demer said. To be honest, she didn't know much about apparitions, but it did seem to be somewhat unlikely. If it was true, it would certainly be something her employers would want to know about. "It sounds like it would be difficult to investigate though."

The honest illusionist
2014-04-03, 06:25 AM
"Politeness? Perhaps. But I've heard apparitions are wicked, jealous, vengeful things. I do not believe that speaking one away would be within the realm of possibility without some threat or form of mesmerism. I've only heard of great Bards achieving such feats through hypnotic songs."

"Indeed, Mariah. It would be hard to investigate, but as far as I can know, it is a true account. Perhaps this is a taste of what we find if we choose to explore the castle?"

DracoDei
2014-04-03, 01:27 PM
"Indeed... she and I were just about to do some exploring... after I get some stuff from my room. In all honesty I'd say it would be a bit risky for you to join us, but much less so than exploring on your own. You in?"

The honest illusionist
2014-04-03, 02:26 PM
"If I had no thirst for adventure, I would have no stories to tell. Let us see what we can learn of our new home."

Finnegan looked around, "Where would you suggest we start?"

kreenlover
2014-04-03, 03:03 PM
"I...uh. Umm. Hmm. I guess that I could have some clothes made for you that don't itch and have room for your tail...or maybe I could just invest my allowance in an item of disguise or some such. Actually, I may just be able to ask Master Dustham for the money straight out; he's a big fan of decency after all" Xavier mutters to himself.
"As for the window, I don't know about you, but I am no climber. And I'm not sure about Miss Willow being a climber either..."

I love all these real-world references, but not too many. Its giving this game a really funny and, to me, unique feel. Keep them up!
And you'd likely be using a stylus or a quill to write with, but pencils could exist (they'd just be more expensive)

LordotTrinkets
2014-04-03, 06:45 PM
Jimmy sighs and rolls his eyes. "Well then, let's try this..."
He is now casting Detect Magic.

DracoDei
2014-04-03, 09:48 PM
"Well, we could try asking some of the more experienced staff, if that isn't too boring for your tastes. Actually, I think that asking for some place 'interesting, perhaps risky, but not actually forbidden' could be good. I've no idea of the layout, so where-ever we go we need to keep careful track of our turns."

The honest illusionist
2014-04-03, 10:23 PM
"I think you have the right idea, doctor... though we may want to be subtle about it. I can't imagine Master Strange would just allow sell-swords roaming the countryside to set up shop within the castle." Finnegan frowned.

"Hm, perhaps we could ask about parts of the castle that are prone to causing unusual injuries? As a doctor it would be prudent of you to investigate such phenomena, as would awareness of risks to guests benefit a butler, and both workplace safety and castle upkeep would be of great service to a maid."

Gather information:[roll0]

dark.sun.druid
2014-04-04, 12:44 PM
"Who's a sell sword? Not me," Demer said, "I work here.

And one of the more interesting rumors I've heard is that there's something strange about the basement. Apparently people go in, and they don't come back out again. It could be rather unsafe, but also probably worth looking into at some point in the future if we don't now," She gave the doctor a look, "And I'd rather go down there with the two of you than anyone else I've met here. Most of the kitchen and cleaning staff are rather... vapid."

DracoDei
2014-04-04, 01:48 PM
"Well, I agree that some of them APPEAR a bit vapid, but they can't be that bad if any of the rumors are actually true, or they would have gone into one of the wrong areas and become a mess to be cleaned up, rather than one who cleans up messes."

dark.sun.druid
2014-04-04, 02:05 PM
Demer's only response was, "Castle Strange is always hiring..."

DracoDei
2014-04-04, 02:16 PM
The doctor pales visibly at Demer's words and resolves to check if they are actually true a bit later.

The honest illusionist
2014-04-04, 08:38 PM
"The Castle basement sounds like as good an investigation as any," Finnegan said. "Perhaps we will find someone along the way who can offer guidance. If there are indeed dangers from the depths, I can not imagine the doorway would go unguarded by some means."

"Shall we see what we can discover?" Asked Finnegan.

DracoDei
2014-04-08, 02:54 PM
"Well, I think I might know someone we could ask..."

He tries to lead them to his SECOND to last patient for the day, and asks her if there is anything they should be aware of about the basement in question.
I really don't want to RP talking to the maid or whatever she was out since it doesn't seem like it would be very interesting. Ciould the GM just give us the gist?

He then takes the front position ((but not necessarily the "I know the way, follow me" thing, just physically in front)) as they head for the ((NOT forbidden, or nix this destination)) area.

Arch warrior
2014-04-09, 03:20 PM
After a bit of searching, James is not confident that this is the best way to find his brother. He then says "You know what? It has just occurred to me that my brother might be trying to find some magic to take. Let me see if I can find some good magic nearby and we will try again." He then cast "Detect Magic".

D20ragon
2014-04-09, 03:46 PM
"Whats a.... Lady....got...if..a? No minds... Cloh-thes... hoomun furs? Roma no like hoomun furs... make Roma all itchy. tangle Roma up... and no room for Roma's tail eithers..." She grabbed a hold of the tip of her own black tail, holding it just in front of her... almost as if she were contemplating its plight. "And Roma already wearing Roma's fur, so Roma no needs!"

She skipped about the room slowly and softly, looking around for somewhere to go. Sadly her definition of places to go are a little different, as she looks along the molding of the walls for mousy holes, and under tables, chairs, and armor stands for somewhere warm... and wif noms. "Roma wish Mara was here.... Mara always know what do...."

"Who's Mara? Should we find her?
Oh! And what's your name? I have been rather rude, haven't I, not even introducing myself.
I'm Willow.
And no, I don't suppose I'm the best climber. I could try though!"
She adds brightly.

The honest illusionist
2014-04-10, 10:48 PM
Finnegan followed Nathan down the hallway. He wasn't sure why the doctor insisted at be at the front of the group, but standing between him and Mariah suited Finnegan just fine.

"So what are you two hoping to find? Ancient dangers? Lost treasure? Adventure? Excitement?"

DracoDei
2014-04-10, 10:54 PM
"Ideally? Some interesting art, including architecture. But it isn't what I'm HOPING to find that has me exploring. It is what I'm worried about finding. Which is, basically, anything dangerous." says Nathan.

The honest illusionist
2014-04-10, 10:58 PM
"Adventure on both counts then, eh? Same for me. In my line of work stories and information are currency," Finnegan said, vaguely.

DracoDei
2014-04-11, 12:25 AM
"I'd call the first more 'sight seeing' in my case, but I suppose so."

I DID stop back at my room and get my equipment... except for the spiked chain, whose box I removed from the bag of holding.
Nathan leads the way, his net out.

kreenlover
2014-04-11, 06:28 PM
The stairs take you down the stairs towards the basement that Daisy discouraged you from going to saying that 'its too dangerous. Well, umm, I don't mean that a strong man like yourself couldn't handle it, but, you really shouldn't..." before finally relenting and telling you how to get there.
The closest entry is by the kitchens.

The butler looks at you.
"Umm...I don't think I should be showing you where the magic things are. After all, no offense to you, but you could be here to steal from us instead of searching for your brother. No offense of course.
"How about we go to the kitchens? I'm sure that we'll be able to find something more there"

"Oh" David Drakhollow turns towards James and motions to the three others coming down the hallway "These guys are started working here yesterday; are either of them your brother?"
David then turns and waves to the three.
"Finnegan! This man is looking for his brother. You wouldn't happen to have seen anyone who might be this guy's brother? Oh. Wait. Thats kinda vague huh? So, umm...I don't know your name, but maybe you could describe your brother to them and see if they've seen him? Unless of course one of them is your brother.
"Now I've talked myself in circles"
David shakes his head and throws up his hands in annoyance.

The honest illusionist
2014-04-11, 09:16 PM
Finnegan jovially greets the butler, "David Drakhollow, we meet again! I suppose it's possible that we have crossed paths with this man's brother. I was actually just accompanying the doctor and Mariah on an investigation into possible workplace hazards, and, perhaps, preventing them, but I am confident that we could spare a few moments to assist you."

"Please," Finnegan said to the new arrival, "tell us a bit about your brother. Is he alright?"

DracoDei
2014-04-11, 10:00 PM
Nathan gets out his bull's-eye lantern, fills it, lights it, and holds it out to Finnegan.
"Could you hold this my good sir? I'll need both hands if we run into anything."

The honest illusionist
2014-04-12, 03:49 AM
Finnegan takes hold of the lantern, and gives Nathan a nod.

DracoDei
2014-04-12, 09:32 AM
Nathan leads the way.

The honest illusionist
2014-04-12, 04:10 PM
"Ah, Nathan, just a moment? Sorry old sport, this shouldn't take too long. This man has misplaced a brother. If we are heading into danger, it may be of use to know what he looks like, in case we cross paths."

Finnegan takes an opportunity to study the new arrival.

Finnegan uses his at-will Detect Magic ability to take notice of James' magic auras and possessions.

DracoDei
2014-04-12, 05:20 PM
"Certainly! We are unlikely to find him in the basement, but if we do, then it will be a good thing we looked where we did."

Arch warrior
2014-04-12, 06:09 PM
James quickly apologizes to the butler and promises not to cast detect magic again.

James' response to the questions is, "He is about my height and is wearing a deerstalker hat and cerulean blue padded leather. If you see him, he will probably be doing what he thinks is being very sneaky. Oh, and I expect that he is in perfect health... Until I get my hands on him for running away, for the eighth time this week!!!!!"

LordotTrinkets
2014-04-12, 06:21 PM
Jimmy perks up with excitement, at long last an escape from this closed room!

"Hey everybody! I think I've found the exit!" shouts Jimmy to the others before running head long into the illusion (the one to the right of the window).

kreenlover
2014-04-12, 07:45 PM
David looks at the group.
"I guess that that is not any of you then. Master James, would you like continue looking elsewhere, or continue with these men to the basement?"

Jimmy, turns, and then bounces backwards as he hits the pillar in the center of the wall.
But, after a moment of pause, he manages to get up and miss the pillar this time as he walks into another hallway.

Easier than typing names; I'll now just use group designations of location

Arch warrior
2014-04-12, 10:54 PM
With being talked to, James switches from his angry big brother mode, back to his disciplined Wizard mode, like you flip a switch and says,"Ah yes, of corse. I think that I shall go to the basement with these men. My brother might be there."

Celesyne
2014-04-14, 01:16 PM
She held onto her tail again, hugging it close to her chest. A sheepish look on her face as she watched the people around her look for a way out. Though the man hopping in and out of the wall was strange... and almost made her giggle. "Roma is Roma silly! Mara... Mara is... friend...is.... is... how Mara say..... Mara is Come-panty-none! Roma walk places wif Mara... Mara bring Roma to Strange place. No have to find Mara... Mara sleepies in room. Roma no like wakey Mara..." Her playful dancing had stopped, now that she'd been reminded of her leaving Mara all alone. She paced from one end of the hallway slowly and slightly depressedly, mumbling to herself and nibbling on the end of her captured and unhappy tail. "Roma hope Mara okies...."

D20ragon
2014-04-17, 08:50 PM
"Oh, I'm sure Mara is all right," Willow says hastily.
"Now, how are you at climbing?"

The honest illusionist
2014-04-17, 10:15 PM
Finnegan bids farewell to David Drakhollow and leads James down the corridor after Nathan. He holds the lantern with one hand, straightens the creases of his fine suit with the other, and makes a hurried introduction.

"I am Finnegan Morningstar. Solicitor by trade, ethnographer by hobby, negotiator when necessary, and now, it seems, butler, as I await my meeting with Master Strange. Our companions are Mariah the suspiciously inconspicuous maid and Nathan, the Strange doctor. We are on a quest to the darkest and most dangerous reaches of this ancient castle, for duty, fame and curiosity. Why don't you tell us a bit about yourself and what talents you may be able to lend to our doubtlessly perilous expedition?"

Finnegan is attempting to convince James of the basement's (ill defined) danger, to get him to lend as much assistance as possible. [roll0]

kreenlover
2014-04-18, 12:15 PM
This newly discovered room is darker and danker. A bit grim, it has some cobwebs, and there is a single staircase leading further down.

The other wall wasn't an illusion...only this one is.

Before you stands a door. Before any of you can reach out to try it, a voice speaks up from the plaque above the door.
"I wouldn't do that if I were you. That door leads to the basement. The basement is dangerous"
The plaque looks down at you, the carved image of an elderly man frowning slightly.

The honest illusionist
2014-04-18, 12:28 PM
Finnegan blinked at the picture, unsure of what he was seeing. "We have heard that the basement is dangerous, but we do not know why. None of us, I think, are unfamiliar to perils or unwilling to face them. Is there perhaps another reason beside our well being that we should not venture downstairs? If it is expressly forbidden by the Master of Castle Strange, I will respect that."

[roll0]

Arch warrior
2014-04-19, 08:13 AM
James is a bit startled by Finnegan, but after a little bit of time he returns to his senses and says, "I am a conjurer, and I fear no force. If anything stands in my way, I will summon a....", he stops talking when the painting starts to talk.

James rolls a spellcraft check of [roll0] and a knowledge arcana check of [roll1] to see if he knows what the magic in the painting is:vaarsuvius:

DracoDei
2014-04-19, 10:57 AM
"Well, well, well... always something better..." says Nathan, thinking of his own magical paint-set.

LordotTrinkets
2014-04-19, 11:04 AM
Absolutely drooling at the sight of potential excitement/adventure, Jimmy walks toward the stairway as though in a trance. A voice suddenly whispers in his head "What about the others?" Is what it says. He ponders about what this means and then suddenly recalls those people in the other room.

Jimmy rushes back toward the false wall, bashes into the exact same pillar, and then crawls slowly through the illusion.

He then walks up into the middle of the group (having quickly recovered from the impact) and speaks, "Hey guys! We don't have climb down through the window." He points over at the fake wall, "There's stairs behind that wall. It may be creepy looking, but I'd personally rather go down that way than have to deal with climbing all the way down and acting as spotter for all of you. Es..." Jimmy looks at Roma for a split second, blushes, and looks up at the ceiling, "Especially when dealing with 'Puss in no Boots'."

kreenlover
2014-04-26, 10:06 PM
"Oh no, I'm just supposed to tell nobody to go by. Its his rule, but, you know, he never said not let anybody through.
"But, I'll only let you through if you all promise to come back and chat with me, yes? It gets so lonely here"
The door swings open with a creaking noise, revealing a dark and musty hallway.
"Have fun"

There is a moment of silence, and then Xavier lurches to his feet.
"I agree!" As he steps forwards he begins to shed pieces of armour until he is once again in his suit and tail coat.
"Has anyone seen my hat?"
He spins his cane around his arm, links arms with Willow, and begins to walk down towards Jimmy
"If you don't mind Cousin, I think that this man has the right of it"
He goes to link arms with Roma, brushes bare skin with his hand, leaps backwards, and trips.
He sits up rubbing his head and quickly looks down, blushing again, and muttering something about 'being at eye level'

Arch warrior
2014-04-26, 10:33 PM
James is still dumbstruck about the talking picture. When he manages to walk through the door, he says, "Fascinating! What a powerful Wizard that must live here to leave such magic just lying around."

DracoDei
2014-04-26, 10:34 PM
((Post destroyed by bad quoting in an attempt to grab color code... this is the SECOND time this has happened to me, although the other time wasn't in this game I

The honest illusionist
2014-04-27, 09:10 AM
"I would not have it any other way, I am sure we will have many stories to trade. What is your name, good fellow? I am Finnegan Morningstar. This is Nathan, Mariah, and James."

dark.sun.druid
2014-04-28, 06:50 PM
Demer waved at the door when her adopted name was called, but still refrained from speaking. The whole situation was rather strange, but she simply assumed that there was magic at work here beyond her understanding, and left it at that. Let the more scholarly types sort out the details, she was just along to observe and report back.

kreenlover
2014-04-29, 05:02 PM
The face turns from one to another as they speak, then turns back to James.
"There is no wizard"
To Nathan:
"I don't know, do I look like I can walk down there and find out?"
"I am Bellamy Bartholemew Bertram Bartleby the First. And", he amends after a moments pause, "Likely the only. But, I am very glad to make your acquiantance. And may I say that you are a most polite fellow? It is a pleasure to known you!
"Now, did you want to go through the door?"
With a creak it swings closed, then open again, revealing that same musty hallway.
"I look forwards to hearing just what the ecological and scientific categorization of the dangers reveals"

DracoDei
2014-04-29, 05:15 PM
That one didn't realize that I meant "species" metaphrorically? They must not be very bright... still a marvelous form of artificial life! I wonder... perhaps after we have had a first look around, we could set a guard in their place to warn other's off, and carry them around a bit... it must get DREADFULLY boring hanging in one spot. Seems cruel now that I think about it. Nathan thinks to himself.

"I see. I thought you would have been informed as part of your duties, or overheard people exiting the area mention stuff. It seems I was mistaken, but it never hurts to ask. See you soon!" he says, and leads the way once more.

Arch warrior
2014-04-29, 05:28 PM
James is just walking and muttering to himself. Every once and a while you think you hear words like "Take the job" or "Study the place" but nothing more.

The honest illusionist
2014-04-29, 06:37 PM
"It would be my honor, Bellamy the First. I will return to share with you all that I learn."

Finnegan stepped through the door. He whispered to James, "perhaps we will be able to share notes?"

LordotTrinkets
2014-05-04, 06:39 PM
Jimmy smiles and starts to think to himself, "I can't wait to see what kind of juicy secrets this place has. After all, people just aren't called 'Strange' unless there's something fishy about 'im." He catches himself before he looks too suspicious.

"This way," says Jimmy as he leads everyone to the wall. Recalling the last few times, he stops himself before he runs into the pillar for a third time. "Watch out, there's a solid beam right here, so don't run through too quickly."

D20ragon
2014-05-04, 09:27 PM
Willow reaches down to grab hold of Roma's hand.
"Let's go! This looks exciting, doesn't it? Have you ever had an adventure before? I haven't.
Have you, Xavier?"

Celesyne
2014-05-06, 07:47 AM
The strange lady.... umm... Willow she thought... tried to hold her paw, but Roma kept it to herself. She shied to the back of the group, face tucked down and away shyly with her ears matted against her head. Waited and watched as she bide her time for everyone to go through the... the... the not-wall. The moment she thought no one could see her anymore, she pranced forward on all fours. The tiny black kitten barreling through the not-wall and bouncing off the corner of the post clumsily and sliding across the floor. Shaking her head, she picked herself back up and continued moving... following the Willow, crisscrossing between her feet and rubbing against her ankles.

kreenlover
2014-05-06, 09:55 AM
Xavier nods as he walks through the wall with Willow.
"There was the time that the Blood-knives gang wanted me to give them the newest manuscript for my story; I can tell you, that was an incredible adventure! Well, there were seven of them, chasing me and Robert, the coachman, through the streets..."
The story goes on for a few minutes as you descend a cold stairway. It gets slowly darker as Xavier relates a story of midnight escapes, a chase in the carriage and on horseback, a duel, greataxe versus cane, on the back of the rapidly moving carriage, a daring escape, smugglers, damsels in distress...
At some point you all realize that the story has long ago left reality behind. Xavier does not appear to have any more practical knowledge of adventures than Willow does.
The story finally trails off as you enter into a dark and grimy corridor. Bare bricks form the walls, and the corridor stretches away in both directions, with many side passages.

You enter into a dark and grimy corridor. Bare bricks form the walls, and the corridor stretches away in both directions, with many side passages.
You hear a voice from behind you.
"Someone just used the Invisible Doorway. If you want to meet up with them go left now, and then keep going left until you reach the round room. You'd be on your own after that. If not, then go have fun!"

The honest illusionist
2014-05-06, 10:36 AM
"You have my gratitude, Sir Bellamy!"

"Perhaps it is your precocious brother," Finnegan mused to James. "Either way, we would do well to rendezvous. Either they can provide us strength in numbers, or they are part of a mystery we would do well to be seeking out."

DracoDei
2014-05-06, 11:42 AM
"Yes, thank you very much. Would it be safest for all in the household if we closed the door, left it open to mark our passage, or does it make no difference and we should just close it to be polite?"

((After reply))
"Yes, let us go meet these others."

The honest illusionist
2014-05-06, 11:45 AM
"I imagine it would be most improper to leave the door open." Once everyone was through, Finnegan closed the door behind them.

DracoDei
2014-05-06, 12:18 PM
Feeling somewhat paranoid in this new and potentially dangerous environment, Nathan ducks back and opens the door about an inch, then closes it again.
Assuming it CAN be opened from this side, which is what he was wondering. The talking painting could be pranking us, and if this area is dangerous, then having the door mechanically or magically set up to allow stuff in but not out (at least not without some sort of hidden lever, magical pass-phrase, or keyed object... shoot, we never examined the door closely, so it could just require a key from this side for all we might know).
He then takes his place at the forefront and leads the way to the left unless anyone objects.

LordotTrinkets
2014-05-06, 12:43 PM
Having played Castle Wolfenstein numerous times, Jimmy takes the nearest right turn.

Arch warrior
2014-05-06, 01:01 PM
James stops mumbling to himself when he hears about the Invisible door. He then says "Wait! An invisible door down this hall!" He says while he points down the left hall. He then runs down the hall so quickly that you don't even see him leave. All that is left is a puff of smoke that is in the shape of James before he ran of, and the smoke slowly disappears.

DracoDei
2014-05-06, 03:00 PM
"Wait up!" shouts Nathan, sprinting after James.

The honest illusionist
2014-05-06, 03:02 PM
Finnegan follows them quickly but cautiously.

kreenlover
2014-05-14, 03:52 PM
As Jimmy turns right, he sees a large and strange symbol.
"DANGER! DO NOT ENTER!

As James dashes down hallways filled with dust and cobwebs, nothing seems to happen, Turn after turn appears before you as you run until finally your fearless leader runs out of breath, and has to stop, gasping.

A slow pace you takes to you a large circular chamber with shafts going off in all 6 directions.

The honest illusionist
2014-05-14, 03:59 PM
Finnegan scans the area with his magic detecting eyes. "This is indeed... strange. I thought this basement was supposed to be perilous. It can't be just cobwebs and empty tunnels."

DracoDei
2014-05-14, 04:42 PM
"Well, actually, I'd say we may very well have run afoul of a certain danger already... we're lost I think, unless this is the Round Room? I did bring chalk, for what it is worth."

Arch warrior
2014-05-14, 04:53 PM
James, still gasping for air, rolls a knowledge (architecture) to see if he notices any sign of were the chambers go.

[roll0]

LordotTrinkets
2014-05-14, 05:41 PM
Jimmy walks along and casts detect magic to see if he can sense anything ahead, ignoring the warning entirely.

The honest illusionist
2014-05-14, 05:58 PM
"Best to mark which paths we've been in with an arrow, should we need to retrace our steps." Said Finnegan, without ceasing his search for magical auras.

DracoDei
2014-05-14, 08:48 PM
"Best to mark which paths we've been in with an arrow, should we need to retrace our steps." Said Finnegan, without ceasing his search for magical auras.
"Floor or walls do you think? We want something we won't smudge, but that won't damage our employer and or hosts house."

Nathan examines said surfaces for there serviceability as ersatz chalkboards.

The honest illusionist
2014-05-14, 10:13 PM
"Make them faint, but for each mark you put on the floor in plain sight, hide a subtle mark between the bricks in the wall nearby in case they are tampered with."

DracoDei
2014-05-15, 01:27 AM
"A wise thought. Do any of you have any particular idea of which way we should go first? Perhaps back the way we came?"

Arch warrior
2014-05-15, 09:18 PM
James snaps out of his out of breath mode and says "We must make the wisest and most intelligent decision. Eenie, meenie, mienie, moe. Lets go left."

kreenlover
2014-05-16, 06:21 PM
The room has no signs of magic about it, except for a thin wall across the bottom opening. Likely it lets whatever is supposed to go through it through, but stops people from falling down.
The ceiling tunnel is accessed by a set of rungs in the wall. That likely goes...somewhere? It seems to go up for a long way.
The other tunnels have no easily guessed destination. They all curve or split fairly close down.
The walls and floor will both serve as easy chalkboards.

Jimmy sees nothing magical yet.
"Umm, sir safety inspector! Maybe we should not go down the passage marked with 'Danger', right?" Xavier steps out in front of him, and blocks his path with the cane "I don't think it wise to either split up down here, or to bring Miss Willow into somewhere we are clearly not supposed to go"

LordotTrinkets
2014-05-16, 10:47 PM
It takes Jimmy a while to remember his little bluff from a few minutes ago, but when he does, he crosses his arms and looks at the floor "Fine... Which way would YOU suggest we go then?"

Arch warrior
2014-05-18, 03:16 PM
If Finnegan tells us about the magic walls, James walks over to the center were the magic is and says "I will try and see if their is a way to open the magic wall. If it does come down to it, I can try and use "Abrupt Jump" to teleport through. However, I would like to hold out on that, seeing as how I have never tried it before, and I don't know if I can get back in one peace."

I make a Knowledge (Arcana) check of [roll0] and a Spellcraft check of [roll1] to study the wall:vaarsuvius:

The honest illusionist
2014-05-18, 06:33 PM
Finnegan tells the party about the magical walls, without revealing how he knows about them.

DracoDei
2014-05-18, 10:18 PM
Nathan walks around the the hole going down to see if it has rungs or other signs that it might be intended to ever be entered.
Both of these are probably unnecessary, but:
Spot [roll0]
Search [roll1]

kreenlover
2014-05-28, 03:17 PM
Xavier looks at Jimmy, and then at the others.
"Umm...The other way?"

The hole at the bottom is very clearly never meant to be entered. It has no rungs, no holes where rungs might have been, nothing.
As for the magic walls, well, there is only the one covering the bottom hole. More of a magic floor really.
Its an easy spell to identify, just a wall of force or some such. He could easily teleport past it, but then he would fall with nothing to hold on to. Not such a good idea...

LordotTrinkets
2014-05-28, 03:43 PM
Jimmy crosses his arms and glares at Xavier. "Well that's just brilliant! 'Let's go this way' He says, 'Why?' 'Because we should go the other way!'" Jimmy starts to pace mid-rant, "You know? It's really something to be telling the castle security adviser how to do his job. I mean, do I tell You how to..."
There is a short pause as Jimmy tries to think about what Xavier does around the castle. Not knowing that much, Jimmy instead goes with what he does know. "...Get stuck in suits of armor in the hallway? NoooOOOooo!!! Because I mind my own business. Anyways, I'll do what you suggested never-the-less, in the interest of not starting a fight."
Jimmy then heads in the other direction, muttering to himself about not getting to see anything exciting.

Arch warrior
2014-05-28, 05:20 PM
James says to the others "I can see no importance in this floor, it was probably put here to keep people from falling down. Anyway, I suggest that we pick a path and follow it..." James stops there. It is as if his Wizarding mind has just stumbled on something. He then goes and says "However, if we are trying to find those who went through the invisible door, and it is down one of these hallways, we could just shout down each of these paths and wait for a response, the one that gives us anything but an echo is the path we take. There is a good chance that this will bring a flood of monster out to attack us, but I think that there is a chance of that happening no mater what. Anyway, what do you guys think?"

DracoDei
2014-05-28, 06:17 PM
"Yes, that was extremely fool-hearty. What ever possessed you to do such a thing?"

"Calling out sounds good, but perhaps best to go a bit down each corridor to better direct the sound, and a good long pause for anything that wishes to approach us to do so, whether friend or foe. I'll try to net any foe... incidentally, what does your brother look like?"

Spamming Gift of Shielding on whomever is the least combat-worthy in my estimation, and Gift of Protection on the lady with the hidden armor. Details to follow when and if combat occurs.

Arch warrior
2014-05-28, 06:50 PM
"My brother looks like me, only a little shorter, in a deer stocker hat, and wearing cerulean blue armor. Anyway, I will make the first shout." He then walks down one of the paths a little and Shouts "HEY! FREE ICE CREAM FOR THE FIRST SPELL-THEIF TO GET HERE!!!!" He then turns to the others and says "My brother is also a nincompoop."

DracoDei
2014-05-29, 04:32 PM
"Great, now get behind me, and watch the other passages."

When and if this has happened, Nathan moves to the mouth of the passage, standing just inside the room, and waits, peering down the passage, looking for anything interesting, but especially for anything/anyone approaching.

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

The honest illusionist
2014-05-29, 08:20 PM
Finnegan raised an eyebrow. "Our party is a neophyte mage, a maid, a doctor, and a lawyer. I know the lot of you have tricks up your sleeves, but if we encounter a 'flood of monsters' we will not last a turn of a minute-glass. Something killed or maimed all those who ventured down here before us, and it would be wise not to invite the same fate on us all."

Finnegan will stand behind Nathan and Demer. If he spots an enemy with weapons and armour, he will attempt a Baleful Utterance. If he spots an enemy without weapons or armour, Eldritch Blast.

Spot 1d20+2
Listen 1d20+2

The honest illusionist
2014-05-29, 08:27 PM
Tried to preview my post, it botched my rolls, won't let me edit in proper rolls.

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

Arch warrior
2014-05-29, 08:47 PM
"I should of asked this sooner, but what are we doing down here? I mean, I am here looking for my brother, but what are the rest of you doing here?"

Spot [roll0]
[roll1]

The honest illusionist
2014-05-29, 08:59 PM
Finnegan shrugs, "Duty? Mystery? Intrigue? I have a theory that the rumours around Castle Strange attract ambitious and adventurous sorts. Like your brother perhaps? You might notice that everyone in the castle seems to be packing magic."

DracoDei
2014-05-30, 08:46 PM
"Well, if I'm going to be living here, and treating people for whatever dangers it may or may not hold, I might as well know them first hand. I also confess to an adventuresome spirit. That and safety in numbers, explains well enough I think.

And I don't expect us to fend off a great number of attackers unless they be half-starved rats. I just suspect that we are better prepared than most.""

The honest illusionist
2014-05-31, 07:11 AM
"Better prepared than most?" Finnegan laughed, "well, you do have a good lawyer with you."

kreenlover
2014-05-31, 09:56 AM
There is a long echoing 'ere ere ere' before it finally fades away. There is a long pause, and then a longer pause, and then nothing happens.
After a few more minutes, it seems that really nothing is going to happen.
Well, Castle Strange is weird. People go missing in the basement, there are ghosts, there are monsters, there is magic, that kind of thing. The Master of the Castle never goes outside ever, is never actually seen, the staff are all very close-lipped, etc.

The hallways continues on until it branches into two corridors. Three suits of armour stand on the corners.

DracoDei
2014-05-31, 01:18 PM
"I wasn't referring to yourself. You are probably about average.

In any case... let us repeat for each of the other three corridors, plus those stairs."

The honest illusionist
2014-05-31, 01:56 PM
"Oh probably," Finnegan grinned.

Arch warrior
2014-05-31, 09:22 PM
"I suppose that you are probable right Finnegan, my brother does like magic. On another note, why don't one of you shout down a corridor. I am saving my voice for a scream fest with my brother."

LordotTrinkets
2014-05-31, 09:56 PM
Looking at Xavier for a moment, Jimmy goes and raps his knuckle against each of the statues. Anticipating people with luck like the ordinary gentleman.

DracoDei
2014-06-03, 03:50 PM
Nathan moves clockwise one corridor (if he hasn't already moved from the first corridor he shouted down).

"ANYONE HERE? ESPECIALLY THE BROTHER OF JAMES?"

kreenlover
2014-06-04, 04:28 PM
As Jimmy raps on the suit of armour he hears echoes from somewhere.
"Ames-ames-mes-mes-s-s"
And then the suit of armour swings it fist up to try and connect with his jaw as the other two step down off their pedestals as well.
[roll0]
[roll1]
As the suits' arm goes up Xavier yells in surprise, then brings his cane up, and down on the suit's arm with a clang.

There is a long pause, and then a faintly echoing *clank* comes back to the three. Then there is the faint echo of a shout, and then a *clang*

LordotTrinkets
2014-06-04, 04:42 PM
Jimmy staggers back as the armor hits back. He feels his jaw a little and tastes the taste of blood.

Jimmy then puts his fists up and goes into a sloppy front stance, "I'm just going to assume these aren't friends of your's, Top Hat. Hope you don't mind me hitting them!" Jimmy then goes to strike the armor the attacked him.

[roll0]
If connects [roll1]

Arch warrior
2014-06-04, 04:46 PM
James hears the *clang, scream, clang*, then roles up his sleeves and says "That's Jimmy!!!" He then walks down the path in a way that makes you think that you don't want to get in his way.

DracoDei
2014-06-05, 03:14 PM
Nathan takes a peice of chalk out of his pocket, and moves after James, still holding his net in the other hand. He lets the chalk scrap against something likely-looking several times before each intersection he they approach.