PDA

View Full Version : Please help, level 7 build!!!

Bellberith
2014-02-23, 10:42 PM
wizard 5/ ninja 1/ spellwarp sniper 1

basically i am going a ray build.... i have my feats and everything set. right now i am trying to find ANY way (even questionable ways) to still have 4th level spells. at the moment i count as a level 6 wizard for spells/day and spells known. just need that extra bump from any source.

please any ideas post them.

(im fine with removing the ninja level for something better that allows for what i am aiming for)

OldTrees1
2014-02-24, 01:45 AM
Generic Spellcaster (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm) 6 / Spellwarp Sniper 1

+2d6 Sneak Attack, 4th level spells

Bellberith
2014-02-24, 01:55 AM
Generic Spellcaster (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm) 6 / Spellwarp Sniper 1

+2d6 Sneak Attack, 4th level spells

that says it has level 3 spells still. but it still may be better than what i had lol.

OldTrees1
2014-02-24, 02:29 AM
that says it has level 3 spells still. but it still may be better than what i had lol.

Oops. I misread. I thought they used Prepared casting as the template for the Generic Spellcaster. I guess they used spontaneous instead.

Andezzar
2014-02-24, 02:33 AM
Also the generic classes are supposed to replaces all non-generic classes. If generic spellcasters exist, wizards, clerics etc. should not.

Bellberith
2014-02-24, 11:47 AM
Is there any way at all?

Andezzar
2014-02-24, 11:50 AM
Wizard 7, but that does not help you with Spellwarp Sniper.

OldTrees1
2014-02-24, 12:08 PM
Is there any way at all?

The Best I can do while remaining at full prepared casting requires waiting 4 more levels.
Wizard 10 / Spellwarp Sniper 1
With Dark Chaos Shuffling 2 feats into Martial Study and Martial Stance(Assassin's Stance)

Full prepared casting, +2d6 Sneak Attack

Rebel7284
2014-02-24, 12:22 PM
Without questionable ways, impossible.

Questionable ways:
You can pull something like this with sorcerer if your DM allows you to apply Loredrake to a dragonwraught kobold.

Also, if you want to COUNT as being able to cast 4th level spells (perhaps as a prerequisite), there are a bunch of ways to get that.

Kraken
2014-02-24, 12:37 PM
In order to avoid very dubious methods, you'd need a prestige class that both advances casting and grants sneak attack at first level. I'm fairly confident that unless one exists in Dragon Magazine somewhere, the only such prestige class is magelord, from Lost Empires of Faerun. However, it requires the ability to cast 5th level spells, among other things, so it's not useful here unless you want to greatly rejigger things for some serious early entry shenanigans. Unseen seer is the only other prestige class that comes close, but it doesn't grant sneak attack, it very clearly only advances your existing sneak attack (or sudden strike, or skirmish, if you have either of those instead). Even if it did grant sneak attack, due to the wizard's lousy skill list, you don't qualify for unseen seer in time anyway.

Urpriest
2014-02-24, 12:39 PM
If you could do this with your build, you could boost your casting by a level without a ninja dip. If you could do that, you'd be trying to cast as a level 8 wizard instead. So there really isn't any way to productively answer this question.

Fouredged Sword
2014-02-24, 12:43 PM
Yeah, your best bet lies with the purest of gouda.

Vulnerable Spellhording Loredrake Dragonwraught Kobold with the White Dragonspawn template.

You then buy off your LA at 3rd level and take the Greater Draconic Right of Passage feat.

All in all, you have 4 levels of wizard casting on top of whatever classes you take.

Then it's simply a matter of taking

Spellthief 1 / Wizard 5 / Spellwarp Sniper 1. You end up with 10th level wizard casting, and TONS of int bonus.

OldTrees1
2014-02-24, 12:45 PM
If you could do this with your build, you could boost your casting by a level without a ninja dip. If you could do that, you'd be trying to cast as a level 8 wizard instead. So there really isn't any way to productively answer this question.

Huh?
The OP was asking if there was a way to get Sneak attack without spending levels on non prepared casting classes.

While the answer is "not until 10th level", I do not see where you are drawing your interpretation(underlined) from.

Urpriest
2014-02-24, 01:06 PM
Huh?
The OP was asking if there was a way to get Sneak attack without spending levels on non prepared casting classes.

While the answer is "not until 10th level", I do not see where you are drawing your interpretation(underlined) from.

Hmm, I had missed the line about being open to giving up the ninja dip. That does make matters simpler, if not utterly simple.

Incidentally, there's probably a heavily cheesy way to get Hunter's Eye Persisted at this level, which would also give you the sneak attack you need.

Bellberith
2014-02-24, 01:29 PM
Hmm, I had missed the line about being open to giving up the ninja dip. That does make matters simpler, if not utterly simple.

Incidentally, there's probably a heavily cheesy way to get Hunter's Eye Persisted at this level, which would also give you the sneak attack you need.

That seems very cool. would you somehow be able to permanency hunter's eye? that way i could go wizard 6/spellwarp sniper 1 and not have to go dragon-wrought kobold =/

But i am willing to go any class combo, any race, any anything to acheive this (with spellwarp sniper)

if it doesn't have an LA that would be better. but i think the DM banned dragon-wrought kobold.

Fouredged Sword
2014-02-24, 01:33 PM
Well, persist may be easier than permanency. Persist is a metamagic that turns "any" buff into a 24 hour buff. "any" includes personal range buffs like hunter's eye.

The best way to get hunter's eye on your wizard list is through unseen seer 2. Getting 8 ranks of hide, search, and spot may be a problem on a pure wizard.

Metahuman1
2014-02-24, 01:44 PM
If you need to have access to sneak attack but wanna work another caster level in there, maybe pick up a couple of feats from a magical location to get access to assassins stance?

Rebel7284
2014-02-24, 01:49 PM
If you need to have access to sneak attack but wanna work another caster level in there, maybe pick up a couple of feats from a magical location to get access to assassins stance?

You need initiator level 5 to get it. Without initiator classes, you can only get that at character level 10.

Snowbluff
2014-02-24, 02:20 PM
Wizard5.

Spontanteous Divination.

Versatile Spellcaster.

Heighten Spell if your DM is dumb pedantic.

OldTrees1
2014-02-24, 02:35 PM
Wizard5.

Spontanteous Divination.

Versatile Spellcaster.

Heighten Spell if your DM is dumb pedantic.

When the OP said they wanted to be able to cast 4th level spells, I don't think the OP wanted to be restricted to only Divination spells. After all a Versatile Spellcaster Spontaneous Divination Wizard still casts non Divination spells by memorizing them in spell slots.

Although it is still closer than a non Spontaneous Divination Wizard.

Snowbluff
2014-02-24, 02:54 PM
When the OP said they wanted to be able to cast 4th level spells, I don't think the OP wanted to be restricted to only Divination spells. After all a Versatile Spellcaster Spontaneous Divination Wizard still casts non Divination spells by memorizing them in spell slots.

Although it is still closer than a non Spontaneous Divination Wizard.

*ahem* Scribe spells into your spellbook.

I thought it was implied. :smalltongue:

OldTrees1
2014-02-24, 03:19 PM
*ahem* Scribe spells into your spellbook.

I thought it was implied. :smalltongue:

That was implied. However Versatile Spellcaster does not give you spell slots for the spells that you need to prepare in order to cast. Spontaneous Divination Wizards only known how to cast Divination spells spontaneously.

Snowbluff
2014-02-24, 03:23 PM
That was implied. However Versatile Spellcaster does not give you spell slots for the spells that you need to prepare in order to cast. Spontaneous Divination Wizards only known how to cast Divination spells spontaneously.

Any spell you know.
Spells known is your spellbook.

OldTrees1
2014-02-24, 03:28 PM
Any spell you know.
Spells known is your spellbook.

Any is in the Sorcerer example. Socerers can spontaneously cast any spell they know. Wizards do not inherently have the ability to cast any spell they know and the Versitile Spellcaster RAW does not necessarily grant Wizards that ability.

Minimum OP interpretation of RAW: Versatile Spellcaster gives a specific permission to cast spontaneously using 2 lower level spell slots instead of 1 spell slot.

Maximum OP interpretation of RAW: Versatile Spellcaster gives a specific permission to cast spontaneously, using 2 lower level spell slots.