PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to make an Ork Warboss

flamewolf393
2014-02-24, 12:38 AM
I need help with an idea to make an Ork Warboss from warhammer in my d&d game.
Basic premise: What class? I would like to have both a barbarian rage like feature, but at the same time I need heavy armor. I plan to dip a couple levels of psychic warrior for fluff if nothing else.

Leadership: Plan to take an artificer as my cohort to craft gear and slap his daily weird science inventions on my main character. The followers will most likely be small kamikaze style goblin gangs. Obviously taking Might Makes Right for this.

Any ideas are welcome. What other things might I need to take into account?

Squirrel_Dude
2014-02-24, 12:49 AM
I would recommend Crusader instead of Barbarian, but that might require some heavy refluffing to make them fit with a character archetype that's all about shooting, smashing, chomping, and stomping. You could do that + Divine caster and go Ruby Knight Vindicator for your magic + maneuvers feel.

There might also be a homebrew class or prestige class somewhere that is set up for a Tome of Battle + psionics, or simply a Full BAB Melee Psionic class.

Doc_Maynot
2014-02-24, 12:54 AM
The class mentioned in this would be perfect for you. (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030301a)

Also consider Warchief from Minatures Handbook.

Hytheter
2014-02-24, 01:10 AM
Wait, why Psychic Warrior? I seem to remember the Warbosses having less psychic powers and more Power Klaws...

flamewolf393
2014-02-24, 01:48 AM
Wait, why Psychic Warrior? I seem to remember the Warbosses having less psychic powers and more Power Klaws...

Because all warhammer Orks are slightly psychic. Its the only reason their tech works right. RED MAKES IT GO FASTER!! WAAAAGH! :smallbiggrin:

Andezzar
2014-02-24, 02:09 AM
Wait, why Psychic Warrior? I seem to remember the Warbosses having less psychic powers and more Power Klaws...Orc with a C, so no Power Klaws. Not sure about the Fantasy Orcs, but the 40K Orks actually are all somehow psychic. Otherwise all their equipment wouldn't work. They basically will the junk they bolted together to function.

Drat, Kommandos

Hytheter
2014-02-24, 02:28 AM
Because all warhammer Orks are slightly psychic. Its the only reason their tech works right. RED MAKES IT GO FASTER!! WAAAAGH! :smallbiggrin:

I know that, but it doesn't actually manifest in anything worthy of an actual psionic character...

Squirrel_Dude
2014-02-24, 02:54 AM
There are the psionic claw powers that might be helpful, but yeah, unless we're building a weirdboy, who are pretty much spellcasters that are just always failing their UMD checks, looking for psionic powers probably isn't necessary. Again working of the Crusader suggestion, there are some psionic feats in the Tome of Battle, so there could be some synergy there.

I would have suggested the Warblade but they don't do heavy armor, and I can imagine an Ork would have high intelligence. If the OP is open to Pathfinder rules: there's the Warlord or the Warder from DSP. Again there are issues of refluffing it, though.

Juntao112
2014-02-24, 08:51 AM
I need help with an idea to make an Ork Warboss from warhammer in my d&d game.
Basic premise: What class? I would like to have both a barbarian rage like feature, but at the same time I need heavy armor. I plan to dip a couple levels of psychic warrior for fluff if nothing else.

Leadership: Plan to take an artificer as my cohort to craft gear and slap his daily weird science inventions on my main character. The followers will most likely be small kamikaze style goblin gangs. Obviously taking Might Makes Right for this.

Any ideas are welcome. What other things might I need to take into account?
Power Armor (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070212a)

Hytheter
2014-02-24, 09:21 AM
Power Armor (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070212a)

Whoa

That is just so perfect for this

(although do you mean Mega Armor? Power Armor is what the Space Marines have got)

Fouredged Sword
2014-02-24, 09:33 AM
Ok, here is my shot at it.

Water Orc

Sorcerer 1 / Barbarian 2 / Fighter 2 / Renegade Mastermaker 10 / Warforged Juggernaut 5

Sorcerer 1 is an odd start, but here me out. You want spellcasting to progress, and will be picking up some magic. Eat the ASF chance as you are going to focus on one spell and one spell only, and it's an hour/CL buff, so you can cast it until it sticks. You need a cha of 13 after modifiers, so you can eat a 10 starting charisma.

1st level feat - Practical spellcaster. Yes, not helpful now, but wait.
3rd level feat - Craft wonderous item - Prereq for you, but also nice on it's own.
6th level feat - Craft Magic Arms and Armor - Ok, so this may not work, but if your DM lets you take your feat for this level and use it to qualify for Renegade Mastermaker, great, if not, take it and start mastermaker at level 7, removing one level of Juggernaut at the end of the build.

You are using the dungeoncrasher fighter 2 level, for bull rush fun.

Build points
5th level - You are a large and in charge fighting force who bullies his way around the battlefield. You have some minor, unreliable magic you use to cast mighty wallop on a greatclub. If it works, great, if it doesn't, you still have power attack and a sick strength score. Enlarge person is another great buff for you to pick up for self casting. Again, eat the ASF.

10th level + - You are now a orcish cyborge spellcaster who gets greater mighty wallop. You want to pick up supreme unarmed strike if you have the feats for it, then get beast strike, then go for knockback. Don't bother casting enlarge person, just get a wand or permenancy. You want to cast Greater mighty wallop on your battlefist and then on your unarmed strike. You now punch people for 16d6+str damage, throwing people around the battlefield.

Andezzar
2014-02-24, 09:42 AM
Whoa

That is just so perfect for this

(although do you mean Mega Armor? Power Armor is what the Space Marines have got)Yup, it is also about as unreliable as orky tech.

Now where iz me powa klaw?

Your build is very interesting, Fouredged Sword. Why wouldn't he be allowed to take Craft Magic Arms and Armors at levle 6? He has CL 5 through Practiced Spellcaster.

Vhaidara
2014-02-24, 09:56 AM
It's taking the feat and the prestige class that requires the feat at the same level. It's an argued point if that's allowed (personally, I say no)

In other words, you need CMA&A to enter RMM. At level 6 you want to be Sor 1/ Barb 2/ Fighter 2/ RMM 1. But you are taking CMA&A at level 6.

Andezzar
2014-02-24, 10:05 AM
It's taking the feat and the prestige class that requires the feat at the same level. It's an argued point if that's allowed (personally, I say no)

In other words, you need CMA&A to enter RMM. At level 6 you want to be Sor 1/ Barb 2/ Fighter 2/ RMM 1. But you are taking CMA&A at level 6.Ah, I missed that. That indeed is illegal.

Fouredged Sword
2014-02-24, 10:18 AM
Then I will revise the levels to look something like this

Sorcerer 1 / Barbarian 2 / Fighter 2 / Duskblade 1 / Reneagde Master maker 10 / Warforged Juggernaut 2 / Spellsword 2

Duskblade gets combat casting for free, and I couldn't think of a better dip.

Ellowryn
2014-02-24, 10:50 AM
Duskblades get Combat Casting at second level, and why Barbarian 2? Wouldn't it be better then to go Sorcerer 1, Barbarian 1, Fighter 4, Renegade Mastermaker 10, Warforged Juggernaut 4? Unless anybody can find a base class that gives a free metamagic feat at 1st or 2nd level there really isn't a way to get craft magic arms and armor before level 6. :smallfrown:

Also, i know barring special rules orks can waaaag once per battle, but is there a limit on how many times per day they can? Might mean the difference between taking extra rage or not.

Andezzar
2014-02-24, 11:24 AM
Wizard 5 (probably the expected entry for Renegade Mastermaker) can take Craft Magic Arms and Armors as a bonus feat at level 5.

shylocke
2014-02-24, 12:33 PM
Your gonna need some sort of homebrew size increase as you level up, as orks get bigger as the go. Warlord Ghazkul Mag Uruk Thraka, the beast of Armageddon, is the size of a dreadnaught.

Meth In a Mine
2014-02-24, 12:58 PM
Your gonna need some sort of homebrew size increase as you level up, as orks get bigger as the go. Warlord Ghazghkul Mag Uruk Thraka, the beast of Armageddon, is the size of a dreadnought.
The aforementioned Warforged Juggernaut can help there (How exactly the player is going to attain that class is beyond me)
Perhaps a quick dip in Skald could help, since it allows the player to basically yell in a special way and whip his friends into a frenzy. However, since Skald prevents him from being a barbarian, I think Frenzied Berserker with inspire frenzy would be better So I think that Ghazghkull would look like this: Armored Hulk Barbarian 3/Frenzied Berserker 10/Figher 2/Warforged Juggernaut 5.

Fouredged Sword
2014-02-24, 01:03 PM
You have to take Renegade mastermaker before you can take Warforged Juggernaut.

shylocke
2014-02-24, 01:04 PM
The aforementioned Warforged Juggernaut can help there (How exactly the player is going to attain that class is beyond me)
Perhaps a quick dip in Skald could help, since it allows the player to basically yell in a special way and whip his friends into a frenzy. However, since Skald prevents him from being a barbarian, I think Frenzied Berserker with inspire frenzy would be better So I think that Ghazghkull would look like this: Armored Hulk Barbarian 3/Frenzied Berserker 10/Figher 2/Warforged Juggernaut 5.

Indeed. Maybe a few levels of war hulk from miniatures handbook? The class is pretty much the prime class you wanna be anything stronger than a 'ardboy.

flamewolf393
2014-02-25, 03:55 PM
Indeed. Maybe a few levels of war hulk from miniatures handbook? The class is pretty much the prime class you wanna be anything stronger than a 'ardboy.

Problem with Warlhulk is it disables all mental based skill checks. And this is going to be a PC, not an NPC.

Andezzar
2014-02-25, 04:01 PM
Problem with Warlhulk is it disables all mental based skill checks. And this is going to be a PC, not an NPC.No it does not. It merely makes you count as having 0 ranks, so all skills can still be used, as long as they can be used untrained. Skill ranks invested in them would be wasted though.

Slipperychicken
2014-02-25, 04:30 PM
Psionic Artificer, make all your gear tek-themed and require Race: Ork and 1 rank in Perform(WAAAGH!).

shylocke
2014-02-26, 02:06 PM
Problem with Warlhulk is it disables all mental based skill checks. And this is going to be a PC, not an NPC.

Take the jack of all trades feat.

shylocke
2014-02-26, 02:08 PM
Psionic Artificer, make all your gear tek-themed and require Race: Ork and 1 rank in Perform(WAAAGH!).

Can you really perform WAAAGH! Pretty sure its a state of being brought upon by overwhelming gorkiness and sheer morkdom.

Andezzar
2014-02-26, 02:23 PM
Take the jack of all trades feat.This will only help with skill that you usually cannot use untrained. All other skills still can be used, albeit as if you had 0 ranks in them. Whether that is worth a feat is debatable. How many skills can you name that are tied to a mental attribute, cannot be used untrained, and still are likely to succeed with only your ability bonus and miscellaneous bonuses?

Can you really perform WAAAGH! Pretty sure its a state of being brought upon by overwhelming gorkiness and sheer morkdom.Without some kind of performance, how do you show your gorkiness and morkdom?

shylocke
2014-02-26, 03:32 PM
This will only help with skill that you usually cannot use untrained. All other skills still can be used, albeit as if you had 0 ranks in them. Whether that is worth a feat is debatable. How many skills can you name that are tied to a mental attribute, cannot be used untrained, and still are likely to succeed with only your ability bonus and miscellaneous bonuses?

Without some kind of performance, how do you show your gorkiness and morkdom?

Quite true on the first account. Your lvl of gorkocity is how cunningly brutal you are, while your morkinity is how brutally cunning you are. These aspects being reflected in badassery and kickassyness of said character.

flamewolf393
2014-02-26, 06:25 PM
I ended up going with Feral Orc half-giant, with trollblooded feat, for +2 LA that get bought off.

For classes I decided on barb2/psy warrior1/warhulk 4/orc warlord 3.

What you guys think?

babus
2014-02-26, 06:38 PM
In DMG II (page 114), there's a magical event called Avatar of the Horde which lets you bring about a mighty WAAAAAGH (the book recommends 100 soldiers per hit dice you have, but it says it's up to the DM). You'd need to either find info on the ritual yourself (very hard) or get Gruumsh to give you the details of it directly (might be an issue depending on alignment). You'll need to kill some elves at a special ritual site, but it can be in combat, and not all elves are good, so there's that.

Minor note, to keep the horde going, you need to kill 1000 intelligent beings a month. Not personally, mind, just via the horde. Might be possible to do this and still be good if you're up against another army and aren't raiding villages.

Slipperychicken
2014-02-26, 07:09 PM
I ended up going with Feral Orc half-giant, with trollblooded feat, for +2 LA that get bought off.

Doesn't troll-blooded have toughness as a prereq? How did you get both at first level?

flamewolf393
2014-02-26, 09:21 PM
Doesn't troll-blooded have toughness as a prereq? How did you get both at first level?

Flaws for extra feats. Also if I do the p warrior at 1st, it grants a feat.