PDA

View Full Version : Guessing What do you expect in the next story arc?

Living Oxymoron
2014-02-24, 12:52 AM
What are your expectations for the next story arc? There is some question you wish to be answered in it? Let everyone know and discuss about it. :)

My expectations:
- The Vector Legion becomes interested in the Gates/Rifts and reassemble to fight the OotS. Maybe Tarquin will take advantage of that interest as an excuse to go after Elan to "correct" that narrative structure once for all.
- The return of Hilgya. Seriously, I loved that girl and want to see more of her. Would she replace Malack in the Vector Legion? Or would she be some essential part in the destruction of Durkula and recovery/resurrection of Durkon? It would be great anyway.
-The destiny of Nale in the afterlife. Many questions about his alignment raised with time, and I think that this would answer a lot of them. Plus, disintegration really means the end? There is no way to bring him back? Would Sabine try something to revive her lover?
-What happened to Xykon, Redcloak and the MitD during all those days? Have they succeed in conquering the gate?

I think there are other things, but for now, these are the only things I remember. What about you?

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-02-24, 01:48 AM
Since you focused on the antagonists, I'll say what I expect to see regarding the protagonists.

First, I expect that the next arc will have a lot of Durkon in it, since he is supposed to be more in the spotlight. Perhaps we will see the Order struggling with having a Vampire in their midst, and we might see more of why Belkar seem to hate the High Priest of Hel.

Second, I think we will see something related to Vaarsuvius. Perhaps they will leave the Order in an attempt to atone, or perhaps some other things will happen, but I think they will try to seek redemption.

Third, I'm kind of expecting to see Belkar's prophecy fulfilled. I think there is a very real possibility that it will come to pass in this upcoming arc. How it happens, I can't say. Perhaps it has something to do with the High Priest of Hel, perhaps not.

Finally, I think we will see Ian and the others who are resisting the Vector Legion again.

ti'esar
2014-02-24, 02:09 AM
The Vector Legion becomes interested in the Gates/Rifts and reassemble to fight the OotS. Maybe Tarquin will take advantage of that interest as an excuse to go after Elan to "correct" that narrative structure once for all.

Tarquin may return for the finale, but I very much doubt we'll see him in Book 6, similar to how Nale and O-Chul were absent from this book (except even moreso, because neither of them tried to actively hold back the plot). It would be repetitive.

It's possible that the other members of the VL will show up, but I doubt it.

Edit: I meant "how O-Chul was absent from this book and how Nale was absent from DStP".

kailkay
2014-02-24, 02:50 AM
Are we closing in on a year since comic #572? I bet Belkar's about to fulfil a prophecy.
Speaking of prophecies...
Remember that time Durkon's clan had a prophecy that the next time he returned home, he would bring destruction? Well, he's on his way back to dwarven lands now...
I imagine O-Chul and Lien are going to have a problem with Darkon (I personally prefer this to Durkula and HPH), and will probably smite his evil all over the place. I bet the majority of the OotS will stand up for Darkon and there'll be this big whole betrayal thing that happens after that at some point.
Also, awesome battles with giant monsters! Woot for massive huge monster dungeons!

zimmerwald1915
2014-02-24, 04:23 AM
- The Vector Legion becomes interested in the Gates/Rifts and reassemble to fight the OotS. Maybe Tarquin will take advantage of that interest as an excuse to go after Elan to "correct" that narrative structure once for all.
After nearly having been undone by the Snarl - and because they can examine the body of that one EoS soldier who was undone they'll know just what kind of fate they escaped - I'm having a hard time imagining a scenario where Miron and Laurin want to have anything more to do with the Rifts. And Tarquin no longer has the pull he needs to drag them kicking and screaming into stuff they don't want to do.

Maybe they could be forced into continuing the struggle for the Gates by the Directors, Tiamat, or Nergal, but I doubt it.

Second, I think we will see something related to Vaarsuvius. Perhaps they will leave the Order in an attempt to atone
Nope. That was her first thought in strip 945 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0945.html), but Roy talked her out of it. "Making restitution" is firmly on hold and we won't be witnessing it in this story.

I imagine O-Chul and Lien are going to have a problem with Darkon (I personally prefer this to Durkula and HPH), and will probably smite his evil all over the place. I bet the majority of the OotS will stand up for Darkon and there'll be this big whole betrayal thing that happens after that at some point.
We already had this scene with Miko in the place of your O-Chul and Lien (I say "your" because they don't act anything like the O-Chul who befriended MitD and the Lien who never even tried to kill any of the orcs who imprisoned her) and Belkar in the place of Durkon.

Roland Itiative
2014-02-24, 05:37 AM
I expect death. And also destruction.

Kish
2014-02-24, 08:44 AM
Many dwarves dying. Including one undead dwarf being destroyed and probably resurrected.

Gift Jeraff
2014-02-24, 08:44 AM
First half: Something happens that makes them stop in the Elven Lands. They get a glimpse through Lirian's Rift and the plot thickens.

Second half: The Mechane arrives in the Northern Lands and picks up Lien and O-Chul. Big climax in the Dwarven Lands.

I suspect Tarquin will either attack the OOTS halfway through Kraagor's Tomb/Book 7, mirroring the Linear Guild in the Dungeon of Dorukan/Book 1, or he will be defeated by Amun-Zora's resistance and/or in-fighting after the rest of the Legion blames him for getting half the party killed (or, if Laurin and Miron survived, getting Malack killed and causing Laurin to go insane) and won't get the chance to hijack the plot again.

kailkay
2014-02-24, 08:52 AM
We already had this scene with Miko in the place of your O-Chul and Lien (I say "your" because they don't act anything like the O-Chul who befriended MitD and the Lien who never even tried to kill any of the orcs who imprisoned her) and Belkar in the place of Durkon.

Neither MitD nor the orcs, nor Belkar represent an undead abomination mockery of a dear friend and companion that these people once had, not to mention a very obvious main villain for the upcoming arc. If they and Darkon end up in the same place, my money's on them smiting him with the hopes of resurrecting him at a later point. Of course, they might not meet Darkon before he is destroyed/resurrected, etc.

Heksefatter
2014-02-24, 09:01 AM
- Resolution of Belkar and Durkon's prophecies.

- Hel taking a more active hand in the story.

- Seeing Nale's fate in the afterlife.

- Not much about the Vector Legion. They had a big part in this book, so prolly much less in the upcoming one.

jidasfire
2014-02-24, 09:10 AM
Seeing as the story arc is unresolved with a whole bunch of foreshadowing regarding the Western continent's future and the Vector Legion is still mostly standing, it seems certain we will see them again. Still, I agree with the idea that they are not likely to have a huge stake in the Gate arc. Powerful though they are, it seems like their interaction with the Gates has brought them nothing but woe, and being practical villains (except for Tarquin during his breakdown there), they should be smart enough not to throw away what they have for that.

So what part will they play? I also can't imagine the story having room for the Order to come back and deal with them when the only really important conflict (Elan vs. Tarquin) has been dealt with, and it doesn't make sense to go back when there's no future stake in their actions. What might make sense is if the Vector Legion was sacrificed on the altar of a new Linear Guild. It would require the resurrection of Nale, which is a stretch when so much effort was taken to put him down for good, but he was a useful pawn to the IFCC, and it's easy to imagine Sabine pushing for that. Anyway, not sure if that will happen, but it would give a reason for us to go back there.

But I think the main crux of this arc will be Hel's plans for the dwarven homelands. Hard to say what it will entail yet, but the High Priest of Hel could probably produce a lot of vampires in fairly short order with the right opportunity, which would be very bad. I do strongly hope that by the end of the arc, Durkon will be back and the Order will be poised to take down Xykon at Kraagor's gate or the Astral Fortress, or wherever the last battle is.

Kolhammer
2014-02-24, 10:26 PM
An explosion.

Grey Watcher
2014-02-24, 11:23 PM
I expect the unexpected.

Peelee
2014-02-24, 11:32 PM
I expect the unexpected.

Honestly, that was expected.

I'd like to see O-Chul. Also, I suspect whether the vampire is killed Durkon may not be brought back. Just because resurrection exists doesn't mean everyone will get it.

Jay R
2014-02-24, 11:51 PM
Surprises. Stuff not found on this thread.

skim172
2014-02-25, 12:21 AM
Dwarves, Kraagor's Gate, the return of Lien and O-Chul and other Azurites, fulfillment of at least one prophecy, Belkar biting the dust (two prophecies), Eugene making a ghostly appearance again, the reveal of the fate of Serini, and the tying up of at least one loose thread that has been left alone for so long that none of us expect it and then suddenly it yanks us off our feet, yet ties into the story so well, we'll feel like idiots for having missed it.

Also, what is the "Vector Legion"? It sounds cool, but I have the creeping feeling that I will be disappointed because it's just a forum nickname for something.

Gift Jeraff
2014-02-25, 12:29 AM
Also, what is the "Vector Legion"? It sounds cool, but I have the creeping feeling that I will be disappointed because it's just a forum nickname for something.

When asked what the official name of Malack, Tarquin, Laurin, etc.'s group was on Twitter, Rich said Vector Legion, continuing the gag that all the adventuring parties are named after their artstyle.

ScubaGoomba
2014-02-25, 01:30 AM
A minor sidequest to cleanse the pallet after the previous book, which was long, punctuated by a few scenes showing what's happening with Team Evil, Nale/Sabine, and the paladins.

I don't expect the Vector Legion to show up now or, honestly, ever again. I think their portion of the story has been told and, while they may make a brief reappearance, I don't expect it to be in any significant manner. Tarquin was defeated, not through might (although, technically, he was), but through being written out of the story; his greater loss was in realizing he was a B-lister. If he shows up again, we run the risk of him becoming a B+-lister, and that doesn't really jive with me. I do expect reference to be made to the Western Continent later, but I think the aftermath of the Snarl is going to be left to the imagination. The OotS returns and sees wreckage or some other characters report the news. Some parts of the story are better left implied, you know?

I think the major focus in the next arc will be Durkon's prophecy and will culminate, likely, in Belkar fulfilling his own prophecy in order to put a stop to Durkon. The seeds are there and, while it may seem obvious, sometimes good storytelling is. The point is about the how we get there and not the where we wind up.

Actually, as I type this, I really wouldn't be surprised to see the party take a trip to Evil afterlifes. OotS has been devoid of much plane-hopping and this seems like a perfect opportunity. The party has an Evil character destined to die soon, an undead Cleric whose soul is trapped in some kind of eternal torment, and a pair of recurring antagonists that are somewhere in the hellish regions. I don't think Rich would have mentioned Eric unless he would play into the story soon; maybe Roy will have to face his own demons in order to rescue Durkon and, maybe, Belkar.

Edric O
2014-02-25, 03:30 AM
Snow. I expect a lot of snow. :smalltongue:

But seriously, I'm also looking forward to seeing a lot more of Redcloak and Xykon, after their non-involvement in the struggle for Girard's Gate.

Also, now that at least one god is actively involved in the race to the next Gate, I expect some divine intervention. From multiple gods.

Sunken Valley
2014-02-25, 06:21 AM
The Book to be White in Colour.
Vampire Durkon or Belkar on the front cover.
Snow
Vampire Durkon to abandon the Order once they reach Dwarf lands
Real Durkon to try and fight the vampire controlling him from inside.
Belkar to be instrumental in Vampire Durkon's defeat.
A bunch of Dwarf side characters.
Hilgya to return.
Durkon to find out the prophecy on him.
Belkar to survive this book.
Durkon to either become a dwarf again or die for good.
Sabine in the Lower Planes with Nale, Thog and Z's ghosts and her quitting the IFCC.
Xykon and Redcloak at the Gate and finding it completely empty. Xykon knew about this but wanted to attack the other gate's first because it was more fun. The ritual takes "weeks" so they spend time doing that.
MitD wandering around and finding O-Chul, who tries to persuade him to fight against Xykon.
The IFCC using one of their slots on V.
The Order making it to the Gate by the end of the book but failing to stop the ritual.
The ritual not going as planned.
A cliffhanger ending with the Order, team evil and others sucked into the rift.
Book 7 to start in the Rift World.

ti'esar
2014-02-25, 06:33 AM
That is an... implausibly specific list.

zimmerwald1915
2014-02-25, 07:02 AM
Actually, as I type this, I really wouldn't be surprised to see the party take a trip to Evil afterlifes. OotS has been devoid of much plane-hopping and this seems like a perfect opportunity.
We the audience were treated to a glimpse of Baator in War and XPs and slightly fuller looks in Don't Split the Party and Blood Runs in the Family. As of the latest book, two of the party have actually been there, and we know they're scheduled to make at least two return trips.

dtilque
2014-02-25, 07:37 AM
I expect....

.... the Spanish Inquisition!

Ghost Nappa
2014-02-25, 08:32 AM
The Book to be White in Colour.
Vampire Durkon or Belkar on the front cover.
Snow
Vampire Durkon to abandon the Order once they reach Dwarf lands
Real Durkon to try and fight the vampire controlling him from inside.
Belkar to be instrumental in Vampire Durkon's defeat.
A bunch of Dwarf side characters.
Hilgya to return.
Durkon to find out the prophecy on him.
Belkar to survive this book.
Durkon to either become a dwarf again or die for good.
Sabine in the Lower Planes with Nale, Thog and Z's ghosts and her quitting the IFCC.
Xykon and Redcloak at the Gate and finding it completely empty. Xykon knew about this but wanted to attack the other gate's first because it was more fun. The ritual takes "weeks" so they spend time doing that.
MitD wandering around and finding O-Chul, who tries to persuade him to fight against Xykon.
The IFCC using one of their slots on V.
The Order making it to the Gate by the end of the book but failing to stop the ritual.
The ritual not going as planned.

Well, shoot! You took all the good ones!

rbetieh
2014-02-25, 10:52 AM
I think a certain soul is going to start mis-informing a certain vampire....and Belkar will somehow save Hinjos life (although I cannot imagine how Hinjo is going to magically appear on a completely different continent when he has said he will serve are coordinator and not get actively involved...we will see though)...and that O-chul will end up replacing a dead Belkar on the orders roster, at least temporarily.

Living Oxymoron
2014-02-25, 10:56 AM

Interesting you mention this. My impression by the comic 945 is that maybe the World 1.0 doesn't have any inhabitants other than the Snarl (the Rift has a whole ocean and "no fish"). That said, if this speculation comes out to be true, what all these characters would do there, that would likely devote a complete book to be done? This subject probably deserves a particular thread to discuss about it, in the case it doesn't have one yet.

I think there are many elements in the World 2.0 that probably won't be concluded in this book, like a very probable quest where the Order goes to Xykon's fortress in the Astral Plane (ok, it's a plane, not the world itself, but I think you understand) to look after his (false) phylactery.

Jay R
2014-02-25, 11:14 AM
In the next two books, I expect:

a happy ending (for Elan, at least),
Durkon will return to his homeland posthumously,
death and destruction will accompany Durkon, and
Belkar will draw his last breath within the year (that's an in-comic year)

ScubaGoomba
2014-02-25, 11:19 AM
We the audience were treated to a glimpse of Baator in War and XPs and slightly fuller looks in Don't Split the Party and Blood Runs in the Family. As of the latest book, two of the party have actually been there, and we know they're scheduled to make at least two return trips.

Yeah, you're right. I guess I meant more that the party, as a unit, hasn't been plane hopping. Off the top of my head, I can't remember who's been there besides V? Was it Haley? It's been a while since I've gone through and read the archives.

Still, I think a full mission to the lower planes might be in store for the party. With the dwarf story coming up, I'd wager it won't happen immediately, but it could serve as a nice second or third act to the upcoming arc.

laylowmoe
2014-02-25, 11:24 AM
I'm willing to bet money that Belkar's death will be at Darkon's hands.

The seeds of their enmity were already planted in #909 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0909.html) and #939 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0939.html). I think there'll be an ongoing subplot of Belkar being suspicious of Darkon and trying to warn the rest of the Order, who keep brushing him off. Until he discovers Darkon's true allegiance, forcing Darkon to kill him.

Not by vamping him, though. After all, two vampires in the Order would be redundant - but also, Belkar ought to be smart enough not to let himself get vamped. I imagine his heroic, self-sacrificing death would be to die in order to tip the others off as to what he found out about Darkon.

NerdyKris
2014-02-25, 11:45 AM

I seriously hope not. It would be retreading the same ground all over again. That story is done. You'd also have to explain why a group that wants to maintain anonymity and live behind the scenes is suddenly going to want to make themselves a giant target for every do-gooder on the planet.

Not to mention that bringing Tarquin back for Tarquin 2: Electric Bugaloo would be pointless. We already saw his entire argument, his breakdown, and his defeat. What more could possibly be gained from having him show up and say "Remember the argument we had? Let's have it all over again, but this time in the snow!"

halfeye
2014-02-25, 11:52 AM
I think we will see a lot more of the snarl. I don't have a clue what if anything its motivation is going to turn out to be.

I think if she survives, Laurin is going to say to Tarquin something to the effect of "Idiot, the snarl is much more powerful than us, we're obviously comparatively speaking the sidequest. Now let's actually help the OotS, they've got a lot more on their plate than they can comfortably deal with".

Grey Watcher
2014-02-25, 11:53 AM
Honestly, that was expected.

What I did not expect was that I would be the first to make that joke. :smalltongue:

zimmerwald1915
2014-02-25, 12:03 PM
Off the top of my head, I can't remember who's been there besides V? Was it Haley?
It was Blackwing.

Orc Warrior
2014-02-25, 12:10 PM
Here' what I expect;

Hilgya's return
Hel becoming active
The Dark One rallying the goblin armies
The Snarl erupting through the other rifts
Sabine returning to hunt down Tarquin
Fulfillment of Durkon's prophecy
The destruction of the last gate
Redcloak betraying Xykon
Return of either Kraagor or the halfling lady
MiTD joining O-Chul against Xykon
_________

I believe that the climax of this book will be Xykon's defeat at the hands of the OOTS, followed by him fleeing to his Astral Fortress with the Order is hot pursuit. I think that Belkar's prophecy won't be fulfilled until the last book. I also think that Durkula's also going to persist until then.

Auburn Bright
2014-02-25, 01:41 PM
I'm not expecting anymore Vector Legion for a while. They seemed like arc-specific villains to me, and they're more tied to Elan's character arc than the unfolding story.

I'm pretty excited about the focus on Durkon, and I imagine he's going to take a more proactive role. I'm also betting Belkar's arc is going to continue, given his hatred for the High Priest.

Also, add me to the list of Hilgya-watchers. Maybe her arc was truly done, but I'm at least hoping the event will be revisited somehow, in regards to how it affected Durkon.

I'm also expecting an explanation of this prophecy business for those of us who didn't read the prequel.

Zmeoaice
2014-02-25, 01:57 PM
I honestly don't expect or care for Hilgya's terurn. I don't get why people like her, except that Durkon porked her that one time.

If she hasn't been killed in the explosion, she wouldn't be near the Dwarven lands she dislikes so much, and it's unlikely that she'll get involved with what's left of the Linear Guild since they're pretty much defunct, and she stated she never cared for them.

zimmerwald1915
2014-02-25, 02:06 PM
If she hasn't been killed in the explosion, she wouldn't be near the Dwarven lands she dislikes so much, and it's unlikely that she'll get involved with what's left of the Linear Guild since they're pretty much defunct, and she stated she never cared for them.
On the other hand, she could fit in quite well attitude-wise with the Elves, and the Mechane is poised for a flyover of that country. Which has a million to one chance of being interrupted.

DolGrenn
2014-02-25, 02:24 PM
Not really an expectation, more of a hope:
Hilgya will tell Durkula that she left her husband for him, but HPoH will instead capture her and begin torturing her in order to gain more control over Durkon, who breaks free due to his intense emotions regarding the situation.
Just a thought.:smallbiggrin:

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-02-25, 02:50 PM
I think a certain soul is going to start mis-informing a certain vampire....and Belkar will somehow save Hinjos life (although I cannot imagine how Hinjo is going to magically appear on a completely different continent when he has said he will serve are coordinator and not get actively involved...we will see though)...and that O-chul will end up replacing a dead Belkar on the orders roster, at least temporarily.

The last time we saw him, Hinjo was on/near the Western Continent, specifically in lands formerly occupied by the Elves. (Source (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0643.html)) So your hypothesis is more likely than you think.

halfeye
2014-02-25, 06:03 PM
Not really an expectation, more of a hope:
Hilgya will tell Durkula that she left her husband for him, but HPoH will instead capture her and begin torturing her in order to gain more control over Durkon, who breaks free due to his intense emotions regarding the situation.
Just a thought.:smallbiggrin:
... Durkon is only able to speak, and the only one listening is Belkar; when the others catch up, they don't believe Belkar, and the High Priest of Hel is back in control. Low jinks ensue.

CaDzilla
2014-02-25, 06:10 PM
Everything from OtOoPCs to come back and the original Linear Guild

Auburn Bright
2014-02-25, 07:33 PM
I honestly don't expect or care for Hilgya's terurn. I don't get why people like her, except that Durkon porked her that one time.

Basically. :smalltongue: I wasn't attached to her as a character, but her relationship with Durkon is interesting to me. I also like to wonder how Durkon's rejection affected her, and where she went afterwards.

I admit I have no idea why she'd be near the Dwarven Lands.

Ghost Nappa
2014-02-25, 09:09 PM
Oh! Here's one that no one in the thread has mentioned: Bandana as a sort of Mechane Taxi Driver.

Roy, Elan, and Haley are taken. I don't expect V to take any action so soon (especially not with somewhat unresolved family issues) but I could see Belkar and Durkon fighting over wooing her to further drive their personal conflict...only for her to reject them both.

Ramien
2014-02-25, 10:18 PM

Because she's the only member of the original Linear Guild we haven't seen return yet. Z came back at just about the right time to show V's character growth even before the true nature of Familicide became apparent. Why not bring Hilgya back to show not only Durkon's narrative growth, but also how the church of Loki is feeling about Hel's machinations?

ti'esar
2014-02-25, 10:22 PM
Oh! Here's one that no one in the thread has mentioned: Bandana as a sort of Mechane Taxi Driver.

Roy, Elan, and Haley are taken. I don't expect V to take any action so soon (especially not with somewhat unresolved family issues) but I could see Belkar and Durkon fighting over wooing her to further drive their personal conflict...only for her to reject them both.

Can we have a female character go more than five strips before the audience starts sizing her up as someone's potential romantic interest? We can? 'k, thanks.

NerdyKris
2014-02-25, 10:34 PM
Can we have a female character go more than five strips before the audience starts sizing her up as someone's potential romantic interest? We can? 'k, thanks.

THANK YOU.

I felt like I was the only one.

Gift Jeraff
2014-02-25, 10:36 PM
-V's 3-minute debt to Nero will be called in at a crucial moment; Belkar dies at this point probably due to the vampire (Belkar and V team up in the Lower Planes during her/his 20-minute debt to Lee in Book 7)
-Haley getting wasted in the name of Thor made her officially recognized as a member of Thor's church, which will come into play in Dwarven Lands

Zmeoaice
2014-02-25, 11:38 PM
Basically. :smalltongue: I wasn't attached to her as a character, but her relationship with Durkon is interesting to me. I also like to wonder how Durkon's rejection affected her, and where she went afterwards.

She probably would have shrugged it off, considering she knew Durkon for like, what 30 minutes? If she's still alive.

Another thing: why do so many people think Belkar will perma-die in this book? He's one of the core 6, I'm pretty sure he'll make it to book 7.

WolvesbaneIII
2014-02-26, 01:14 AM
I expect it to be good.

I'd like the snarl to be of greater consequence.

I see redcloaks plan to be foiled by an ally. A betrayl.

Xykon ascends to a demi-lich or whatever having -2- phylacteries somehow and reveals he suspected RC to betray him at some point and worked ahead of him. His 2nd phylactery is aside his other -fake- one.

I see tarquin to pull off a -swoop- and claim the last gate for himself defying all expectations. His team works together their plan involving -somehow- nale or his spirit to secure info from -i don't know- the 3 fiends.

Varsuuivus never has his 3rd debt used up.

I'd really like a duel between xykon and another souped up wizard that ends with a close win for xykon making him look bad ass and competent.

Thank you for your time.

ScubaGoomba
2014-02-26, 07:43 AM
THANK YOU.

I felt like I was the only one.

Have to throw in a +1

Coat
2014-02-26, 09:07 AM
I think the next book will focus on Good/Evil choices more complex than just hitting Evil in the face with a hammer.

I think Nale's spirit will be offered an option of significant demonic power, but at the cost of Sabine's continued existence. And I think he'll take it, and come back to be a major threat to all parties.

We will certainly see a focus on Durkon, his predicament and how he deals with it. I predict that this will involve talking to the Evil inside, but I have no idea how it will end.

I think we're going to see some more character development for Redcloak, and quite possibly the Order beginning to question who he is, what he wants, and why he's working with Xykon. And possibly Reddie asking himself the same questions - or at least avoiding them more obviously than he is currently.

I think we'll see the final gate fall in the next book, and the release of the Snarl, with a confrontation with the Snarl itself being the theme of the last book - but I would not be surprised if the Order fails to reach the Gate at all in the coming book, and that the book ends with them arriving at Kraagor's dungeon.

I think we'll see the Order increasingly coming together to work as a cohesive and very capable unit, with all members - including Elan - providing an important role.

And most importantly, I expect my predictions to be proved wrong in ways I do not expect. Including this one.

cheesecake
2014-02-26, 01:15 PM
I hope to see progression of the main plot with out B lister villains getting in the way.

I am eager to see what happens to Belkar. I don't recall seeing much if any back story on Belkar. We know snippits of everyone else. Other than his "fake" "roleplaying" story back ages ago about being the smallest halfling

Sir_Leorik
2014-02-26, 01:28 PM
Here are my predictions for Book Six:

The Order have to make a pit stop in the Dwarven Homelands. While there, the High Priest of Hel, as per his instructions, begins to murder Dwarves, albeit surreptitiously.
Belkar is going to discover what the HPoH is doing, try to stop him and be murdered in the process. HPoH will decline to Sire Belkar.
Hilgya will return. She will immediately realize that "Durkon" is not herself, and ask Loki for a Divination. Loki will discover what Hel is up to, and ask her for a piece of the action.
Xykon and Redcloak will have another "reverse dungeon" adventure, as they travel into Kraagor's Tomb to locate the Gate. Hilarity will ensue.
O-Chul and Lien will team up with the MitD to battle Team Evil. Xykon will not be happy.
The Vector Legion will be in full crisis mode trying to contain the Snarl, which is lashing out from the Rift, which is expanding. At the same time, the anti-Tarquin underground strikes.

Of course these predictions could easily turn out to be completely wrong, so YMMV. :smallbiggrin:

Sir_Leorik
2014-02-26, 01:31 PM
I am eager to see what happens to Belkar. I don't recall seeing much if any back story on Belkar. We know snippits of everyone else. Other than his "fake" "roleplaying" story back ages ago about being the smallest halfling

That's kind of the point: Belkar's not supposed to have a detailed background that explains who he is and why. He's just a psychopath who likes to stab people and also has a few ranks in Profession (gourmet chef).

However, if you want to know more about Belkar, one of the Kickstarter Rewards was a black and white comic about Belkar's early adventures. Who knows, maybe it will be collected in a print volume someday.

Ghost Nappa
2014-02-26, 02:24 PM

I'm not talking about Bandana's role in the comic so much as I am talking about Belkar and Durkula. I agree wholeheartedly: I will be incredibly surprisedif Bandana turns out to be someone's love interest. But given how Belkar can and will hit on every single woman he meets (see OtOoPCs p. 40, #0035, Jenny, Haley when retrieving Roy's body, his comment about whether or not Julia was "fugly"...) I expect him to try for the same reasons Vaarsuvius continued "the exercise."

To answer your question more sarcastically, it's actually been 15 comics (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0931.html). (946-931 = 15). So yes. Yes we did go that long without someone sizing her up as someone's potential romantic interest. And I contend that it could go on further, as that is not what I'm suggesting.

Edit: Your comment also pre-supposes that Belkar is capable of love/romance towards another person.

Sunken Valley
2014-02-26, 02:53 PM
I can't believe no one here has remembered that the Greysky Thieves Guild know Haley is at the North Pole and that they may make an appearance.

ti'esar
2014-02-26, 06:26 PM
Actually, I don't think I'm going to bother.

Jay R
2014-02-27, 12:57 AM

But it's our solemn duty to size up female characters as someone's potential romantic interest. It's like, in the fanboy charter or something (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0160.html).

DanaK
2014-02-27, 05:59 AM
I will put money on Serini showing up again. :smallbiggrin:

LordRahl6
2014-02-27, 03:30 PM
I can put some small value of money on Hilgya showing up again due to the conflict between Loki and Hel. I also expect that Sabine will show up again due to the IFCC's interest in the gates. Whether or not Nale will is murkier, but it should interesting what the combined Infernal Powers do next. Don't expect Tarquin with any new VL minions just yet, but perhaps a couple books down the road, if we get that far. Definitely more of the Snarl and Bucoo amounts of individuals that Roy has to look down upon. (Pun intended:smalltongue:) Betrayals, lots of them and on all sides save Hinjo's Paladins, and fulfillment of prophecy. Finally, this is not the last arc/book the Giant has planned.

Vendanna
2014-02-27, 03:35 PM
What I expect is:

- Fencing
- Fighting
- Torture
- Revenge
- Giants
- Monsters
- Chases
- Escapes
- True Love
- Miracles.

nogall
2014-02-27, 04:12 PM
I expect to learn more about this intriguing banana commander.

http://i.imgur.com/KNcVlYX.png

I apologize for the off-topicness.

Dovetail
2014-02-27, 10:26 PM
What I want to know is how the events of strips #906 and #945 will affect the Vector Legion. Nale and Zz'dtri killed Malack and the Snarl caused Laurin to go catatonic, and we don't know if it is even possible for Laurin to recover from Snarl-mind-attack.
If Laurin remains catatonic, Tarquin's scheme is in an even more precarious position than before, with only four out of six functional members.

I don't expect the Order to find out about not-Durkon's plans until he actually starts killing dwarves. He'll give himself away at some point (but not before the dwarven homelands have been utterly and completely trashed), and at some point they'll realize he's not Durkon, but not-Durkon (not channeling Thog here, I swear) and be forced to rush him and drive a stake through his heart.
(As much fun as it would be to have Vampire Durkon helping against Team Evil, I kind of doubt it.)

Just my take on things.

Living Oxymoron
2014-02-28, 08:22 AM
What I expect is:

- Fencing
- Fighting
- Torture
- Revenge
- Giants
- Monsters
- Chases
- Escapes
- True Love
- Miracles.

This is a very concise and realistic list. I like it. :smallsmile:

What I want to know is how the events of strips #906 and #945 will affect the Vector Legion. Nale and Zz'dtri killed Malack and the Snarl caused Laurin to go catatonic, and we don't know if it is even possible for Laurin to recover from Snarl-mind-attack.
If Laurin remains catatonic, Tarquin's scheme is in an even more precarious position than before, with only four out of six functional members.

I don't expect the Order to find out about not-Durkon's plans until he actually starts killing dwarves. He'll give himself away at some point (but not before the dwarven homelands have been utterly and completely trashed), and at some point they'll realize he's not Durkon, but not-Durkon (not channeling Thog here, I swear) and be forced to rush him and drive a stake through his heart.
(As much fun as it would be to have Vampire Durkon helping against Team Evil, I kind of doubt it.)

Just my take on things.

I believe that the VL will not interfere with the OotS in the next book, because there are some things to be done between them, like this thing that will possibly happen to Laurin that you mentioned, and the action of Amun-Zora, Ian and the others. At least, I hope we'll get to know the SPG.

Also, I wonder if Nale and Zz'dtri would be together in the afterlife, if the theory about Nale's alignment is right.

Jay R
2014-02-28, 11:52 AM
This is a very concise and realistic list. I like it. :smallsmile:

A good job by William Goldman.

Sir_Leorik
2014-02-28, 01:06 PM
What I expect is:

- Fencing
- Fighting
- Torture
- Revenge
- Giants
- Monsters
- Chases
- Escapes
- True Love
- Miracles.

... There's not going to be any kissing, is there?

Living Oxymoron
2014-03-02, 01:19 AM
A good job by William Goldman.

Hmmm, I didn't know that, thanks.

davidbofinger
2014-03-02, 02:08 AM
It seems to me there are at least four places you'd sort of expect the story to go, either because things are expected to happen there or because otherwise why have they been mentioned. In decreasing order of confidence:

The dwarven lands
Kraagor's gate
The world within the rift
Xykon's fortress
The eastern continent

I would guess the first two in the next book and the last three in the last book. But even at this vague level, I'm unlikely to be right.

Rad
2014-03-02, 03:06 AM
I doubt we will ever see action in Xykon's astral fortress. Remember there is nothing of value there.

Bedinsis
2014-03-02, 06:20 PM
I expect us to see that character a bunch of people kickstarted to have in the story.(S/he hasn't appeared yet, right?)

I expect the last gate to be destroyed.

I expect to see the House Kato child. (S/he should have been born by now, right?)

I expect Xykon to find out about Redcloak's treason.

I expect Hylgia's return, with Durkon's child.

I expect us to see the Order/part of the Order team up with one of the other eight sides for the gate. (Gods are being involved; under those circumstances teaming up might be necessary)

I expect us to see Durkon's reactions inside of HPoH.

I expect the Order to arrive near the next gate with the Ritual already started.

I expect to be dead wrong, but it'll be fun to look back on this post to see what I speculated would happen.

ReaderAt2046
2014-03-05, 11:40 PM
I expect that as a result of Laurin's probe, all four rifts have gone active and Gobbotopia has been destroyed. Redcloak will hear about this and freak out.

I also predict that there will be a young female dwarf named Steffie Belladonna who will fall madly in love with Durkula.

Trubbol
2014-03-06, 03:10 AM
I predict Banjo's ascension into true godhood!

The DeathKnight
2014-03-06, 05:13 AM
I recon that it will have lots to do with Monsters (or Monster Manual Entries) since that is the Theme of Kraagors Gate, i recon we will learn more about Durkon and his Vampirism, and we will learn more about The Monster in the Dark, as well as things I'm sure i forgot about. all speculation though.

Dr. Simon
2014-03-06, 06:05 AM
... There's not going to be any kissing, is there?

Someday you might not mind so much.

Zarzar
2014-03-06, 10:19 AM
I expect the over-arching themes of:

Monsters - What is a monster (Vamp-Durkon), what isn't a monster (MitD) and every bit of grey area inbetween.

Loyalty - Stunning Acts of Betrayal (Vamp-Durkon v. OOTS, Redcloak v. Xykon, MitD v. Team Evil), and Shocking Acts of Loyalty (Mitd and O-Chul, Hilgaya and Vamp-Durkon, Belkar and OOTS).

Beans - Between some hilarious comedy scenes and the fact that so many good cans of beans will be opened.

Order of the Stick - Tales of Monsters, Loyalties and Beans. (c) 2018

zimmerwald1915
2014-03-06, 10:55 AM
Beans - Between some hilarious comedy scenes and the fact that so many good cans of beans will be opened.
Just as long as Elan doesn't share his mommy's bean recipe then try and lead Roy and V in a round.

Speaking of which, perhaps we'll meet Elan's mommy - and learn her name! - at some point.

Living Oxymoron
2014-03-07, 02:29 PM
I predict Banjo's ascension into true godhood!

I think that it will happen in the end of the story. :smallbiggrin:

kailkay
2014-03-09, 01:53 AM
I think that it will happen in the end of the story. :smallbiggrin:

No... the world is not yet ready to face the wrath and madness of DREAD BANJHULU.

Codex
2014-03-09, 08:23 PM
I predict an epic four way duel between Banjo, Giggles, The Snarl, and Hel. I expect at least one Hel spawn joke. Everything else has already been said.

CaDzilla
2014-03-09, 08:28 PM
I expect HPoH to try to make it up to Durkon in a twisted way by helping him accomplish all of the goals he couldn't do before due to his morals. I also expect him to build Hel's temple by growing trees in the shape of a church.

Mad Humanist
2014-03-22, 05:46 AM
Can I jump ahead to the final story arc? I predict that the Snarl will turn out to be a big lovable beast that just wants to be loved but doesn't know how.

Anarion
2014-03-31, 11:47 AM
Let's see. I think there will be a marriage, a birth, a death, another death, an undeath, a soul-erasure, an undeath to death, another undeath to death, and no less than seven climactic battles.

zimmerwald1915
2014-03-31, 12:13 PM
Just control-f'd through the thread, and nobody predicted an art upgrade. Shame on us.

Anarion
2014-03-31, 12:15 PM
Just control-f'd through the thread, and nobody predicted an art upgrade. Shame on us.

I'm going with so obvious it didn't need to be said. That's ma story and ah'm stickin to it.

oppyu
2014-03-31, 12:21 PM
- At some point, the Giant will upgrade the artwork further to incorporate moving fingers.
- Fingers immediately become the Giant's least favourite thing to draw.
- The Giant will likely abandon the plan to incorporate moving fingers.

Living Oxymoron
2014-03-31, 05:53 PM

Yeah, shame on us... the calendar was probably the major hint of an in-comic art upgrade, but even so, no one predicted that.

Auburn Bright
2014-03-31, 06:32 PM
I expect more Sergeant Mama awesomeness. Or at least, I hope...

- At some point, the Giant will upgrade the artwork further to incorporate moving fingers.
- Fingers immediately become the Giant's least favourite thing to draw.
- The Giant will likely abandon the plan to incorporate moving fingers.

And no one would blame him. No one ever made a regularly-updating webcomic who had to draw all those fingers. I know people have; they're probably cool. But fingers suck.

EDIT: And yeah, I've been one to gripe about the fingers... but just because I think it's a little odd doesn't mean I expect the Giant to drop everything and change it.

CoffeeIncluded
2014-03-31, 08:06 PM
You know, I honestly expect Hilgya to figure out what's going on with Durkon. After all, he did say that the "proper dwarven protocol" is to lock up such feelings and never even think about them. If the high priest doesn't know to look, he'll never know.

Mad Humanist
2014-04-06, 04:14 AM
I think I just realized the significance of #947:

Durkon's Mama is going to be the one tasked with tracking down the Vampire. And that is going to bring her into conflict with the Order.

And Durkon's words about his Mama burying icky feelings will also haunt us. She will be an utterly ruthless and determined son-killer.

Socksy
2014-04-06, 09:13 AM
Laurin going catatonic/otherwise mentally broken at least temporarily and Miron looking after her *o* She gets better and everything is adorable.

More realistically, I think we'll get to see the significance of Blackwing taking that Ioun Stone , and whether it's canon or homebrew (possibly it helps protect Laurin from any possible backlash when she uses Scrying-type things, like a mental IP blocker, or something).

Mad Humanist
2014-04-07, 09:26 AM
Laurin going catatonic/otherwise mentally broken at least temporarily and Miron looking after her *o* She gets better and everything is adorable.

Laurin strikes me as the sort of character who can look after herself without any assistance.

b_jonas
2014-04-07, 10:54 AM
Instead of Hilgya, I expect a different dwarf to return. We haven't seen the last of Kaboom Redaxe (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0225.html), the red-haired dwarf who was paid ot assassinate the King of Nowhere together with the shadowmancer. He'll be involved in the story some way or another.

Socksy
2014-04-07, 11:34 AM
Laurin strikes me as the sort of character who can look after herself without any assistance.

"Catatonic" sort of implies... Catatonia. A comalike state, if I'm correct. People generally can't look after themselves like that.