PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Mount Feats + Skills

Theomniadept
2014-02-24, 02:56 AM
Simple question; for a riding dog with the Warbeast template what are the best feats for the dog to gain as it 'levels up'? Other than ToB martial stances, that is. I'm heavily leaning on Power Attack and possibly Vow of Poverty, but other than that I'm at a loss. Improved Natural Attack?

Also, it says that the creature gains skill points but I can't find anywhere where it lists 'animal' class skills. Are all skills cross-class for the mount?

Also, does the mount gain +1 to one of its ability scores every 4 HD?

Finally, I read in the Paladin Handbook that the inherent feats of the mount can be retrained. Is this true? If so, I can think of many feats a heck of a lot better than Alertness.

Techwarrior
2014-02-24, 03:19 AM
Urpriest has a great Monster Handbook that should answer all those questions, although a look at the Mount Handbook would be a good read a well.

Theomniadept
2014-02-24, 03:35 AM
Okay, that really does clear a lot up. The dog's skills would be Jump, Listen, Spot, Swim, and Survival, and Alertness and Track could be retrained (though I'll leave Track to make use of Scent).

I'm guessing Vow of Poverty is my best bet so I'll take that (as a paladin I can use any benefit that's allowed, and as a celestial creature the dog will be more suitable for VoP). Oh god, that qualifies it for Touch of Golden Ice, doesn't it?

Firest Kathon
2014-02-24, 04:53 AM
If Pathfinder material is in play, Step Up (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/step-up-combat---final) is an good feat for a mount: If an enemy you threaten makes a 5-ft.-step, make one yourself. Wizard stepping away to avoid casting defensively: NO.