PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Harvesting

Dromuthra
2014-02-24, 05:05 AM
Hello!

Recently, my party has killed two young adult (large) dragons, red and black respectively. This was accomplished with minimal flesh damage, and wounds inflicted were promptly sutured shut following the combat to preserve the creature. We have acquired methods of preserving and transporting the creatures whole back to the nearest big city, and we want to sell it. Now comes the hard part.

I can find reasonable ways of estimating the prices of the skin, bones, teeth, and blood of the dragons. What I can't find is anything that would suggest a baseline price for organs such as the eyes or the stomach (who knows, some wizard probably wants them). Is there a guide to pricing spell components? Does anyone have suggestions as to how we ought to estimate the price of the dragons?

(I know that this will all be subject to DM approval, he's just really busy and I'd like to do as much of the work for him as possible so this is easy and fast.)

Turelim
2014-02-24, 05:12 AM
Hi, I think you can find this Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187378) useful :smalltongue:

Averis Vol
2014-02-24, 05:17 AM
Hello!

Recently, my party has killed two young adult (large) dragons, red and black respectively. This was accomplished with minimal flesh damage, and wounds inflicted were promptly sutured shut following the combat to preserve the creature. We have acquired methods of preserving and transporting the creatures whole back to the nearest big city, and we want to sell it. Now comes the hard part.

I can find reasonable ways of estimating the prices of the skin, bones, teeth, and blood of the dragons. What I can't find is anything that would suggest a baseline price for organs such as the eyes or the stomach (who knows, some wizard probably wants them). Is there a guide to pricing spell components? Does anyone have suggestions as to how we ought to estimate the price of the dragons?

(I know that this will all be subject to DM approval, he's just really busy and I'd like to do as much of the work for him as possible so this is easy and fast.)

A dragons hide is used in armor production (look in the PHB for some rulings, races of the dragon/draconomicon for a bit more specifics) and bones and teeth can be made into weapons (again, draconomicon). The rest of the stuff like blood and organs are going to be something very specific for your DM to figure out.

I could see embalming the eyes and hardening them to make a really cool staff topper (though its more so just intimidating than anything) and you might be able to sell its gas chamber/fire stones to an alchemist (not sure how black dragons create acid actually, there might just be two pouches of inert acids that only activate when fused together in the dragons throat)

a dragons blood sounds like a seriously Mc Guffin, you cast a spell, you drink some dragonblood, bam; instant sorcerer powers.

weckar
2014-02-24, 05:27 AM
Not all parts of a creature are useful, unfortunately. You'd probably be best off selling the creatures to a taxidermist, and the leftovers to a luxury butcher's.

Iruka
2014-02-24, 05:29 AM
a dragons blood sounds like a seriously Mc Guffin, you cast a spell, you drink some dragonblood, bam; instant sorcerer powers.

Gaining some kind of DR from bathing in it seems appropriate. Just don't place your bathtub under a tree. :smalltongue:

Averis Vol
2014-02-24, 05:35 AM
Gaining some kind of DR from bathing in it seems appropriate. Just don't place your bathtub under a tree. :smalltongue:

That seems more like a way to become needlessly sticky. A dragons scales and hide are what give it it's defensive capabilities (And sorry, I don't get your reference D:) not particularly it's blood.

weckar
2014-02-24, 05:36 AM
Silly question: Is it anywhere in RAW that dragons HAVE blood/organs? Being creatures of magic, that is not something to be assumed :smallconfused:

Iruka
2014-02-24, 05:50 AM
That seems more like a way to become needlessly sticky. A dragons scales and hide are what give it it's defensive capabilities (And sorry, I don't get your reference D:) not particularly it's blood.

The whole thing was a reference to Sigurd (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigurd) from norse mythology. It has also other advice on How To Use Your Dragon Corpse.

Odin, posing as an old man, advises Sigurd to dig trenches also to drain the blood, and to bathe in it after killing the dragon; bathing in a dragon's blood confers invulnerability. Sigurd does so and successfully kills Fafnir; Regin then asked Sigurd to give him Fafnir's heart for himself. Sigurd drinks some of Fafnir's blood and gains the ability to understand the language of birds. Birds advise him to kill Regin, since Regin has also been corrupted by the ring and is plotting Sigurd's death. Sigurd beheads Regin, roasts Fafnir's heart and consumes part of it. This gives him the gift of "wisdom" (prophecy).

The tree was a reference to this:

From bathing in the dragon's blood, he is invulnerable except for a spot on his back where a leaf adhered to his skin.

Which apparently only happens in a german poem version of the mythos, the Nibelungenlied (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nibelungenlied).
Should have known that this is not so well known outside of Germany. :smalltongue:

Erik Vale
2014-02-24, 05:51 AM
Yes, stomach [swallow whole] with all the bits that connect to it, and some sort of latin sounding thing for containing elemental energy for element breathing, lungs since they have to breath and breath element. See Dracomonicon for stuff about muscle etc.

Averis Vol
2014-02-24, 06:43 AM
The whole thing was a reference to Sigurd (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigurd) from norse mythology. It has also other advice on How To Use Your Dragon Corpse.

The tree was a reference to this:

Which is apparently only happens in a german poem version of the mythos, the Nibelungenlied (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nibelungenlied).
Should have known that this is not so well known outside of Germany. :smalltongue:

ahh, okay, that makes sense. the version I know just has him eat Fafnirs heart after he singes his finger and tastes the eternal knowledge and hears the birds in the tree talk about how Regin is going to betray him. He did so by digging a pit under where he knew the ragon was going to be, covered it with his cloak and thrust up into the dragons heart. I dont think I ever heard any mention of bathing in the blood. (may have got the dwarves names mixed up as well.) He then kills the dwarf, eats the whole heart and goes on to carve a great swathe for himself in history.

Dr. Cliché
2014-02-24, 07:33 AM
You could plant the dragon teeth and grow an army of skeletons.

Dromuthra
2014-02-24, 08:28 AM
Hi, I think you can find this Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187378) useful :smalltongue:

I did in fact use this thread; it gave me the estimates that I have (I estimated blood based on the amount of a horse*1.5)

Yes, stomach [swallow whole] with all the bits that connect to it, and some sort of latin sounding thing for containing elemental energy for element breathing, lungs since they have to breath and breath element. See Dracomonicon for stuff about muscle etc.

Hm. I'll have to look into that again. I didn't remember seeing prices.

Baron Malkar
2014-02-24, 08:30 AM
You could plant the dragon teeth and grow an army of skeletons.

Wern't those Hydra teeth?

Dromuthra
2014-02-24, 08:39 AM
Wern't those Hydra teeth?

Well, we have those too. We were also planning on draining the hydra's blood, but I figure that estimate that will be relatively easy.

Milo v3
2014-02-24, 08:48 AM
Silly question: Is it anywhere in RAW that dragons HAVE blood/organs? Being creatures of magic, that is not something to be assumed :smallconfused:

It's detailed in Draconomicon.