PDA

View Full Version : Need help building Spellfire wielder

Xarteros
2014-02-24, 05:35 AM
Firstly, as a note, I've got no DM set in concrete but most of the DM's I know are really open minded, and will let us do basically anything if there are rules to back it up (they always seem to balance the combat for us, so we're not too OP)

So, I want to make a big, hulking spellfire wielder (Forgotten Realms: Magic of Faerun) with the concept of a walking reactor, capable of unleashing massive destruction and literally glowing with power.

The current plan is a Goliath with the Feral template, starting off as a Swordsage, and going to take the Spellfire Channeller class for his sixth level. I also plan on taking the Mineral Warrior and Lolth-touched templates along the way for those sweet constitution bonuses and other abilities. He's going to be the biggest, tankiest reactor I can make him whilst still letting him be mobile and ferocious. Not sure how level adjustment buyoffs work, or rather why they are actually good, the rules from UA don't seem to make much sense to me.

So, I need to take the Spellfire Wielder feat, and Endurance feat, and I'm thinking of taking Stalwart Determination (to use CON instead of WIS for my Will saves). What else would be good?

I'd love if someone could give me some ideas on what feats to take, or other classes that would compliment this character at higher levels (so I can have a rough idea of what he needs to take to meet prerequisites). I was originally toying with the idea of going Master of Nine way later on, but that seems to take up heaps of feats for prerequisites and doesn't seem to give me all that much more in return.

Also, is there any way to use Spellfire as part of a melee attack action, preferably using natural weapons? I'd rather not dip into classes too much, so feats or permanent spells or whatnot would be preferable =)

I'd also love to find out if there's a good way to permanently turn yourself large without imposing stat penalties (don't care too much about the bonuses either), so I have reach with my natural claw attacks.

Erik Vale
2014-02-24, 05:49 AM
Not to clear on spellfire myself, but don't you need something to charge you? [Though enemy mages should help with that]

If so, perhaps a warlock/dragonfire adept dip to charge yourself might be good.

Enlarge person can be permanancied, and Expansion can be made into a permanent item, but they both drop your dex by 2.

Xarteros
2014-02-24, 06:49 AM
Yeah, I need stuff to charge me. Part of the Spellfire Channeller class is the ability to absorb magic from scrolls, potions and to temporarily absorb permanent enchantments. I'll keep some of the magical trinkets we get as loot as a backup power source, to draw from in times of need. I looked into going warlock, but I can't charge myself since I need to take a readied action to absorb the energy from Eldritch Blast.

Xarteros
2014-02-25, 03:39 AM
Any suggestions for feats, or another class for level 16+?

I doubt there'd be any class that can let you use spell-like abilities as part of a melee attack, but if there are any, i'd love to hear about them =D

Erik Vale
2014-02-25, 04:10 AM
With the cheese going on, you may be allowed to 'borrow' the conductive enchantment from PF. For a +1 enchanmnet, you can have anyone hit by an attack hit by any SLA/Spell/etc for double cost [so two uses, two spell slots, etc]. Some argue it can only be used once a round, I think what I've read makes me agree but I'm not sure, but it's a starting point...
But no, there are only 3 things that allow you to affect things with stuff like that and their all pf.

Xarteros
2014-02-25, 06:00 AM
using double really takes its toll on Spellfire though. At level 15, with my templates, I'll have something like 35 Constitution, giving me 175 maximum spellfire capacity. I can unleash up to 35D6 at once, but costing double just to use it in melee would be so wasteful, i'd be better off just using it normally and provoking AoO's.

Erik Vale
2014-02-25, 06:16 AM
There's a reason I use conductive gloves of endless javalens/concealed weapons from complete scoundrel with a warlock instead.