PDA

View Full Version : Trample, Overrun, Bullrush & Trip

lady2beetle
2014-02-24, 10:57 AM
Good morning! I checked in with you guys a couple months ago about a paladin character and you were awesome, so I'm back! I'm looking for advice, input and experience using the special attacks listed in the title. Here's the basic info:

D&D 3.5; Core rulebooks only, except we are using the traits & flaws system
Character: 5th level gnome paladin
Feats (+2 because of flaws): Mounted Combat, Ride-by-attack, Spirited Charge, Trample
Skills: Diplomacy, Riding
Primary weapons: Lance, gnome hooked hammer

Paladin's Mount: Wardog/Riding dog
Mount feats: Power Attack, Improved overrun, (Improved Bullrush at next feat)
Skill: Jump

I've been playing my paladin since 1st level and have enjoyed using rules that we had always before ignored. Jump has been a lot of fun because my mount (a regular riding dog up until now) has a pretty amazing jump check, even better because she is four-legged. In a recent combat, some frogs covered the floor in grease and we just jumped over it to get across the room. In another combat against kobolds, we managed to jump over the mobs to get behind them.

On the other hand, my gnome is small so her weapon damage is minor, and if she doesn't have room to charge with her lance, it's even less. Now that she's hit level 5 and will get her real paladin's mount, I'd like to focus more on being defensive, leaping into the fray and knocking the enemy down so that the rest of the party can mop them up. So my questions:

1. Does anyone have any experience with this sort of character?

2. I know with a successful ride check, I can allow my mount to attack at the same time that I do. I'm wondering if I can use that to allow my mount to do an overrun/trample attack while I do a trip attack on another mob (with my gnome hooked hammer). Any thoughts?

3. What kind of tips or tricks or advice would you give me? Any gear or magic items that I should look for? I'm looking for anything that would increase my mount's mobility, both of our AC, my ride check or attack bonus.