PDA

View Full Version : Question about Attacks of oppertunity 3.5/PF

RLFHOG3
2014-02-24, 01:19 PM
So here's an interesting question. Suppose I'm a lvl 6 wizard with a dex of 16 and the combat reflexes feat. Now suppose I have the Reach metamagic and prepared my Chill Touch spell with it in the morning.

I have now casted my Reach Chill Touch spell and held my charge. Next thing I know, an angry Barbarian comes rushing in at me from 50 feet away with his weapon in both hands, ready to split my face open. But what's this? I'm armed with my reaching chill touch spell and that spell has a range of 25ft +5ft/2CL (or 40 ft in this instance). Am I able to make 4 attacks of opportunity on this barbarian with my reaching chill touch spell because he's moving through the squares that I'm threatening? Or is my face most assuredly split open?

Also, would this apply with any spell with a range that requires a ranged touch attack? (Assuming that the perception check to notice such an opponent that far away was made?)

Immabozo
2014-02-24, 01:28 PM
You only get one AoO per time it is provoked, I.E. if you get AoO like this (I tend to doubt that you do) you will only get one.

But better would be the abrupt jaunt ACF from PHB II (?) and after he charges, before his attack connects with your face, you teleport away.

EDIT: I think you have a very strange build, but apparently, according to the post above, it works, so it could ba an interesting one.

But you still only get 1 AoO for someone moving into your threatened squares

RLFHOG3
2014-02-24, 01:43 PM
It's for a boss battle I'm building. I wanted to try something new and interesting and wanted to make sure it worked and apparently, it does except for the whole, can't make more than 1 AoO against a moving opponent thing so i'll have to think of something different (unless there are feats that let you make more that 1 AoO on the same moving target that is.)

Drachasor
2014-02-24, 01:50 PM
This doesn't work. Chill Touch isn't a melee touch attack anymore with Reach Spell, it's a ranged touch attack. It can't be used for AoO and it doesn't threaten.

Barstro
2014-02-24, 01:58 PM
Attack of Opportunity

You threaten all squares into which you can make a melee attack,

Reach Metamagic

You may cast a spell that normally has a range of touch at any distance up to 30 feet. The spell effectively becomes a ray, so you must succeed at a ranged touch attack to bestow the spell upon the recipient.

Adding the Reach Metamagic did not give you a reach weapon, it gave you a spell with an increased range. You do not resolve it with a melee attack number, but a ranged attack number.

I think the idea, despite how cool it is, fails.

Edit; Damn ninja, waiting until I start getting online cites to post ahead of me.

Barstro
2014-02-24, 02:03 PM
It's for a boss battle I'm building. I wanted to try something new and interesting and wanted to make sure it worked and apparently, it does except for the whole, can't make more than 1 AoO against a moving opponent thing so i'll have to think of something different (unless there are feats that let you make more that 1 AoO on the same moving target that is.)

Would that even be a good use of a spell? It goes away when you cast something else.

Does 3.5 allow storing a spell in a reach weapon or casting through a weapon like PF's Magus?

ImaDeadMan
2014-02-24, 04:30 PM
How AoO's work is that you get one per round unless you have the combat reflexes feat which allows you to make additional AoO's equal to your dex modifier. AoO's can only be made when people move through your threatened squares or are performing a distracting act such as picking up a weapon on the ground. Your threatened squares are every square you can reach with a melee attack and an AoO is not provoked from someone first entering the threatened square but each square they move through that you threaten after the first will provoke an attack of opportunity. No matter how many AoO's they provoke from moving through your threatened squares, you still only get one attack of opportunity in the round unless you have combat reflexes. Ranged attacks such as a bow or, in your case, a charged spell with a ranged touch attack, do not threaten squares within their range.

Now on to your question. You will not get any attacks of opportunity against this charging barbarian because your spell, though charged and ready for use, is a ranged touch attack. If you instead ready an action to attack the barbarian with the spell if he charges you then you will get your attack off once.

I hope I was able to clarify everything :) Also, these rules are for 3.5

Immabozo
2014-02-24, 07:45 PM
Would that even be a good use of a spell? It goes away when you cast something else.

Does 3.5 allow storing a spell in a reach weapon or casting through a weapon like PF's Magus?

There is a PrC I saw that does this... Spell Blade? Or something? From Unapproachable East? Or some oriental-themed book I think

FrznTear
2014-02-24, 07:54 PM
There is a PrC I saw that does this... Spell Blade? Or something? From Unapproachable East? Or some oriental-themed book I think
Spellsword from complete warrior.

That actually seems like a neat idea using your standard action for ranged spells and your move action to charge a reach weapon with a spell to discharge on an attack of opportunity. bonus points if the discharged spell stops the charge.

For the spell storing enchantment it requires the use of a free action when you hit so I don't think you would be able to do it an an AoO

TuggyNE
2014-02-24, 08:13 PM
Your threatened squares are every square you can reach with a melee attack and an AoO is not provoked from someone first entering the threatened square but each square they move through that you threaten after the first will provoke an attack of opportunity.

This is not quite correct. Rather, an AoO is provoked by movement that leaves at least one threatened space. Movement that goes through several spaces still only provokes once, and even with Combat Reflexes only one AoO can be taken.

Other than that, yes; the OP's case does not allow any AoOs at all.

ImaDeadMan
2014-02-25, 09:38 AM
Ah, thanks for the correction Tuggy.

PaucaTerrorem
2014-02-25, 12:03 PM
If I have 15' of reach, a spiked chain, Dex of 14 or higher and Combat Reflexes, do I get 2 AoO when they move next to me?

ImaDeadMan
2014-02-25, 12:26 PM
If I have 15' of reach, a spiked chain, Dex of 14 or higher and Combat Reflexes, do I get 2 AoO when they move next to me?

No, because as Tuggy stated, "movement through several spaces still only provokes once, and even with Combat Reflexes only one AoO can be taken."

Immabozo
2014-02-25, 12:45 PM
Spellsword from complete warrior.

That actually seems like a neat idea using your standard action for ranged spells and your move action to charge a reach weapon with a spell to discharge on an attack of opportunity. bonus points if the discharged spell stops the charge.

For the spell storing enchantment it requires the use of a free action when you hit so I don't think you would be able to do it an an AoO

Thank you!