PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Baseball

Elvaris
2007-01-30, 10:16 PM
So, now that the (American) football landscape is down to just one game, (and no, the pro bowl doesn't count,) I thought I'd see who's interested in playing in a GitP fantasy baseball league this year. League would be hosted on Yahoo, and a live draft would be held some time in mid to late March (time negotiable.) Anyone interested post here, and remember, pitchers and catchers report for spring training in just two weeks.

The managers so far:
1) Elvaris
2) headwarpage
3) purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
4) Malachi, the Lich King

headwarpage
2007-01-31, 10:10 AM
I'm in.

(Accursed character limit)

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-01-31, 11:43 PM
I'd be interested. I nfact I might be starting a league with some people I knew from college. If it goes through, anyone that's here that wants to be in on it let me know. If it doesn't, I'd be more than happy to set a league up.

Edit: You don't actually have to do a draft live on Yahoo. We can actually do a draft here on the boards and then input everyone's team into the yahoo after we're done. (I've set up a league last year on Yahoo and that's how we did it).

Malachi, the Lich King
2007-02-01, 02:58 PM
Oooo! Oooo! Me!

:)

Elvaris
2007-02-01, 05:05 PM
Edit: You don't actually have to do a draft live on Yahoo. We can actually do a draft here on the boards and then input everyone's team into the yahoo after we're done. (I've set up a league last year on Yahoo and that's how we did it).

I have two questions about this:
1) How long does it take?
2) How much work does it require of the drafters? If the football league was any indication, we'll have a few first time players in this league... I'd like for them to at least have the option of auto-pick.

2007-02-03, 07:49 PM
Well, the length depends on the number of people. In the live draft it orders the participants and you choose your players. (Ex: for this let's say we have 6 people. The draft would go 1 2 3 4 5 6 6 5 4 3 2 1 1... until you have your players. I believe it takes around an hour with 12 people, and there is a time limit per selection.) Or we could do a draft like that here on the boards if everyone can't get together at the same time. I don't recommend auto pick to be honest. In my experience it's much more fun, and have more interest if you are able to pick your own team. I suggest getting one of the fantasy baseball magazines for newcomers, and that's what I learned how to play with. The best thing to do before a draft is to sit down and write out a draft list of the top 5 players you want at each position, so if the player you really want is taken you aren't scrambling for your next pick. That also makes a draft go faster.

Elvaris
2007-02-03, 09:09 PM
Yes, my question was how long it takes to run a draft on the boards...
and I wasn't so much recommending auto-pick, as suggesting it as a possibility for someone who may not be... invested enough to put in that kind of research. I'm just trying to balance the complication issues of a possible message board draft versus the scheduling issues of a live draft.

2007-02-03, 09:39 PM
well I think it everyone could post 3 picks a day I bet it would take around a week and a half to two weeks. As of right now we've got a lot of time, and I have yet to talk to other people I know who might be interested.

headwarpage
2007-02-05, 08:08 PM
My vote is for just doing a live draft on Yahoo. I don't know if I can promise three picks a day for two weeks, but I'm fairly sure I can swing an hour or so sometime.

Malachi, the Lich King
2007-02-06, 09:40 AM
My vote is for just doing a live draft on Yahoo. I don't know if I can promise three picks a day for two weeks, but I'm fairly sure I can swing an hour or so sometime.

Yeah, I don't check these boards quite so frequently anymore but I could set aside an hour or so for the live draft. We did the fantasy football one in less than an hour. A couple of people did pre-picks because they weren't available at the best common time we could muster and their results were a little mixed.

Elvaris
2007-02-16, 03:16 PM
Alright, I have a Yahoo league thrown together. As of right now, it's scheduled for a live draft on Saturday March 24th at 8:45 pm EDT, though that's still changeable. Now it's just a matter of recruiting more people.

headwarpage
2007-03-10, 10:01 AM
Um... Bump?

I'd like to see this happen. How many more people do we need?

Elvaris
2007-03-10, 11:16 AM
Well, I've been in leagues with as few as 6 people, though you'd want to limit the players to AL or NL only to keep from having superteams, but 10 to 12 is preferable.