PDA

View Full Version : Level 1 Sorcerer feats for low level Core only campaign

Zethex
2014-02-24, 03:29 PM
I'm asking pretty much what it says in the title.

I've thought about Spell Focus/Greater Spell Focus, especially because the DM approved one players crazy request to let you increase the effective caster level instead of the difficulty class (i.e. you choose one of the two when gaining the talent). But I really didn't want to specialize in only one school as that takes away a lot of the versatility of the sorcerer and will just make me regret not playing a wizard. Is it still powerful enough to take it even if I have only 1 or 2 spells of the same school until I have reached level 3 spells?
The truth is that I am rather inexperienced, so much in fact that I couldn't even bring up a good example on why it is so overpowered. Or to know with a 100% certainty if it even is as overpowered as I think it is.

Also, is it really worth taking mostly metamagic stuff even at the beginning where all I could hope to enhance are level 0 spells?

More info: My Human Sorcerer is relatively low on Charisma because I rolled 14 14 13 13 10 10 for my stats. I chose Color Spray and Charm Person as level 1 spells and plan on forgetting both of them for spells that can keep up in higher levels. I thought of cheesing Burning hands with that modified Greater Spell Focus for 3d4 area damage on level one, but that really didn't fit the character concept I had in mind.

So... What do you people think?

Ivanhoe
2014-02-24, 04:36 PM
Core sorcerer?
Best guide on the subject ever... (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74801):smallsmile:

Zethex
2014-02-24, 05:04 PM
I know that guide, but I can't find a Feats section (other than Metamagic that is). Am I just blind?

Then there is the difficulty in that house-ruled version of Spell Focus and my difficulty in gauging just how overpowered it is.

Chronos
2014-02-24, 05:18 PM
I don't see that Solo's guide really says anything about feats, beyond mention of a few metamagics that can't be used yet.

Shining Wrath
2014-02-24, 05:40 PM
I'd suggest that for your L1 spells you not neglect the invaluable Mage Armor.

Depending on which foes you face, Sleep is a win button. I'd replace Charm Person with Sleep, if it were me - and since I'm rolling up a L1 sorcerer right now, it is me.

I don't think the linked guide discusses feats beyond Metamagic. One I like is Energy Substitution, which allows you to choose, e.g., Fireball and then turn the damage into, e.g., acid damage. Or not, so you get two energy types for one spell. You probably don't want to focus on blasting spells, but you should have a couple in your pocket.

Energy Substitution(electric) lets you take the wonderful Born of the Three Thunders (search; read). There are cheesy ways around the daze penalty, but unless you want your DM to throw a series of creatures immune to electric and sonic damage at you, eschew to chew the cheese. Being able to inflict stunned on those who fail Fort saves (read: enemy casters) followed by prone on those who subsequently fail Reflex saves (read: enemy casters) is a wonderful thing.

There's always Improved Initiative if you can't do any better.

Consider Apprentice and Precocious Apprentice, each of which gives you more spells at first level, although Apprentice requires DM cooperation.

Ivanhoe
2014-02-24, 05:44 PM
In that case I'd recommend Improved Initiative and silent spell for a level 1 core human sorcerer: be sure to get to act first and spontaneously cast cantrips 5 times per day like ghost sound or message without being heard to do so. Get an owl familiar to avoid being surprised, bluff the rest and hope for the best :smallsmile:

Zethex
2014-02-24, 06:17 PM
@Shining Wrath: Is "Complete Arcane" considered to be part of Core? If so I misspoke. All I am allowed to use is the PHB and the DMG. No PHB II ect. either.

@Ivanhoe: Wouldn't Silent Spell bump all those cantrips to level one, thus limiting my ability to cast them that often?

Jeff the Green
2014-02-24, 09:53 PM
Oof. This is why I hate rolling stats. Technically you don't qualify for a reroll, but ask if you can get one anyway. They're about as bad as you can get without qualifying.

With a low casting stat, you need some no-save, high impact spells. That means buffs are a good idea. What's the rest of the party playing? If there's a bruiser, enlarge person is a very good choice. Ray of enfeeblement and silent image are also good choices. Check with your DM about how he plays illusions, though, and only pick it if you're creative. I like making illusory walls, fog, and summons to do a bit of battlefield control.

For feats, I'd say Improved Initiative and Spell Focus (Illusion or Enchantment). Definitely choose DCs to boost, though, since CL can be boosted with items and isn't as important for you with your low stats.

@Shining Wrath: Is "Complete Arcane" considered to be part of Core? If so I misspoke. All I am allowed to use is the PHB and the DMG. No PHB II ect. either.

@Ivanhoe: Wouldn't Silent Spell bump all those cantrips to level one, thus limiting my ability to cast them that often?

No and yes. Wait until you get second-level spells for metamagic and then get Extend Spell.

Chronos
2014-02-24, 10:50 PM
No and yes. Wait until you get second-level spells for metamagic...
Which would actually mean waiting until you get third-level spells. You might be better off to take Extend at level 3, and just put up with having a dead feat for one level.

Ivanhoe
2014-02-25, 02:13 AM

Ah, true - got that wrong. Still, the potential to cast cantrips like that without vocal component can be useful at that level, I think.