PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class [PrC Variant] Necromantic Alienist

Xuldarinar
2014-02-24, 04:23 PM
ALIENIST VARIANT: NECROMANTIC ALIENIST

Class Features

Familiar Abilities: This functions identically to the standard alienist's class feature by the same name, except it may be used to advance any one of the following class features instead of advancing a familiar: Skeletal Minion, Rebuke Undead, Undead Minion.

Warp Undead: Whenever a necromantic alienist would use any spell that would create or summon an undead creature,she automatically applies the pseudonatural template to that creature. For example, by casting summon undead IV, she could summon a pseudonatural allip. This adds the pseudonatural template to the allip.
A necromantic alienist gives up the ability to create standard undead. This replaces the standard alienist's summon alien class feature.

Pseudonatural Familiar: This functions identically to the standard alienist's class feature by the same name, except that it can be applied to what ever they choose to apply their familiar advancement instead. If they choose to advance rebuke undead, they may now rebuke creatures that are considered native to the far-realm.

Extra Necromancy: From 6th level on, a necromantic alienist gains one extra spell slot at her highest spell level. This slot can be used only for spells that create or summon undead creatures.
This replaces the alienist's extra summoning.

Just a variant that came to mind. Not sure if it is any good, but here it is.

Silva Stormrage
2014-02-25, 03:00 AM
The main problem is that the summon undead line of spells ends at 5th level. Maybe homebrew 6-9 level version of the spell so that the class can continue summoning? As the alienist is mostly a summoning PRC if I remember correctly.

Xuldarinar
2014-02-25, 02:06 PM
The main problem is that the summon undead line of spells ends at 5th level. Maybe homebrew 6-9 level version of the spell so that the class can continue summoning? As the alienist is mostly a summoning PRC if I remember correctly.

You have a good point there. To counterbalance that, I had expanded rhe application to any spell that creates or summons undead instead of just shifting from summon monster to summon undead. Its unfortunate that the summon undead line ends on V, a point that makes me wonder as to why, but there are fortunately other means. Now, I could brew VI-IX, and perhaps I will. I've adjusted the features dealing in summoninng, but you are right that the base is purely a summoning PrC and this variant remains one in part.