PDA

View Full Version : Need Handheld Gaming Reccomendations

Thanatos 51-50
2014-02-24, 06:31 PM
Hey there, Playground!
The title of the thread pretty much says it all.

I know that here in the Playground, most people are stern advocates of PC gaming, and I completely understand that, I really do.
However, There's also a space in the market for on-the-go, handheld gaming, and, as small as the niche is, I enjoy exploiting it.

Recently-ish my wife and I have both acquired a 3DS (Okay, mine is a 2DS, but the principle stands). We've gotten our hands on the obvious draw of the platform (Pokemon), and a few other games. For the sake of completion the list of games we currently have are listed below:

Pokemon, X & Y
Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Fire Emblem: Awakening

Recently, my wife approached me, and complained that she'd lke t o acquire a few more games for her system.
She's not nearly as deep into gaming as I am, and so she came asking for reccomendations. Admittedly, I don't know much about the 3/DS side of the gaming pool, so I asked after parameters she'd like met and told her I'd do some research.
This thread is one arm of that research
The Parameters

Legend of Zelda-eque, in that it has the soft puzzle-y, action-adventure vibe and game-play
She has mentioned a strong distaste for the turn-based combat system in most JRPGs (Pokemon, for whatever reason, gets a pass)

Of course, we're also looking for something good.
As previously mentioned, she's not much of a gamer, herself, so anything way out in the "hardcore" section of the playing field is right out.

Okay, Playground, Recommend me/(us) a 3DS game!

Ogremindes
2014-02-24, 07:10 PM
Rune Factory 3 and/or 4. Action RPG crossed with a lite version of Harvest Moon's farming sim and social sim elements. Not much on the puzzles, but they are very good games with a lot to do. 4 may not an option if I'm a Protagonist! is in a PAL region.

Zevox
2014-02-24, 07:36 PM
3DS specifically, I can't think of anything Zelda-esque, with both puzzles and action-adventure elements, but I can think of a couple that are just one or the other:

Kid Icarus: Uprising would be my first recommendation. It's just an all-around great game, with the only problem being the awkward control scheme (it uses the stylus to aim your attacks and camera, due to the lack of a second control stick on the system). Action-adventure, with both on-rails shooting segments and 3D ground stages, a ton of different weapons to try for different styles, and very good writing with characters that are just fun to listen to bantering with each other.

There's also the remake of Tales of the Abyss. It's a JRPG, but an action one, and one of my favorite games of all time. I only hesitate about it because it's very long, as RPGs tend to be, and I haven't actually played the 3DS port (despite owning it), so I don't know how they handled the need to save at any time or the like that becomes a bigger issue on handhelds.

Another good one might be Code of Princess. It's basically a beat-em-up, with a lot of silly, tongue-in-cheek humor to the writing.

For a game that is strictly puzzles and story, Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies is a great one. It's the most recent entry in the series, and a download-only 3DS title. Obviously you might want to try the earlier entries first, which are all available as DS games (which the 3DS can play), but it should be perfectly possible to pick up Dual Destinies without having played the previous games. You'll miss some oblique references to characters and the appearance of some old fan favorites in the last case won't have the impact it does for long-time fans, but it should otherwise still hold up great.

Speaking of, if we look at DS games as well, I could perhaps give a few more, although my own collection is dominated by turn-based RPGs.

A Rainy Knight
2014-02-24, 09:58 PM
Kid Icarus: Uprising would be my first recommendation. It's just an all-around great game, with the only problem being the awkward control scheme (it uses the stylus to aim your attacks and camera, due to the lack of a second control stick on the system). Action-adventure, with both on-rails shooting segments and 3D ground stages, a ton of different weapons to try for different styles, and very good writing with characters that are just fun to listen to bantering with each other.

This would be my first recommendation, too. The action is fun and fast-paced, and the controls themselves are simple enough that it's really not that difficult to dodge attacks and return fire like a champ. You can scale the difficulty to your liking, so it's not painfully demanding to clear the story (although the weapons you're rewarded are better at higher difficulties).

And the writing and voice acting are both just wonderful. It's been a while since a game made me genuinely laugh so often.

Another good one might be Code of Princess. It's basically a beat-em-up, with a lot of silly, tongue-in-cheek humor to the writing.

I wish I could recommend this one, but for some reason it really fell flat for me.

As far as 3DS beat-em-ups go, I thought Senran Kagura Burst (a downloadable game) was a lot more enjoyable, but I don't think I can safely recommend it here unless you don't mind anime tropes and fanservice.

For a game that is strictly puzzles and story, Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies is a great one. It's the most recent entry in the series, and a download-only 3DS title. Obviously you might want to try the earlier entries first, which are all available as DS games (which the 3DS can play), but it should be perfectly possible to pick up Dual Destinies without having played the previous games. You'll miss some oblique references to characters and the appearance of some old fan favorites in the last case won't have the impact it does for long-time fans, but it should otherwise still hold up great.

Seconded. Ace Attorney is a really enjoyable franchise.

If you're interested in puzzles, I would also strongly suggest the Professor Layton franchise. The earlier games are for the DS, but Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask is on the 3DS. You don't necessarily need to play the earlier games to enjoy the newer ones, though it does help you get to know the characters a little better.

Gnoman
2014-02-24, 11:02 PM
Note that the 3ds is DS compatible, so you have that entire library to choose from as well. There are a couple of Zelda games for the DS that are worth a look.

Woot Spitum
2014-02-24, 11:16 PM
Have you considered the downloadable classic Zelda games? Link's Awakening, Oracle of Ages, and Oracle of seasons are all excellent. Another option would be the DS (sadly there are no 3ds versions yet) Castlevania games. Portrait of Ruin is my favorite, but they are all good. Finally there is are the two Shantae games. The original is a downloadable Gameboy color title, but the second one came out more recently and has more up to date graphics.

Thanatos 51-50
2014-02-25, 09:43 AM
I can't believe I'd forgotten about the Ace Attorney games. I have all of the DS ones laying around somewhere (Sans the Miles Edgeworth game, if that ever became a thing) , so I could introduce her to those.

I'll show her your recommendations thus far and give more in-depth feedback based on her reactions.

Tengu_temp
2014-02-25, 09:49 AM
I third (fourth?) Kid Icarus Uprising. Just the characters and the banter between them are already worth playing, and that's even before you get to the actual game!

From DS titles, I would strongly recommend The World Ends With You (amazing jRPG, the combat is action-y and not turn-based), the Castlevania games (exploration-based platformers with RPG elements, kinda like a platforming Zelda! Order of Ecclesia > Dawn of Sorrow > Portrait of Ruin, but all are good), the Phoenix Wright/Ace Attorney series, and Ghost Trick.

Illieas
2014-02-25, 12:05 PM
Ghost trick is a top pick for me. It is puzzle based manipulation game. You change the enviroment to change the course of fate of people. mainly stop people from dying. It got the quirky characters and a solid story.

Wookieetank
2014-02-25, 01:10 PM
3DS Recommendations:
Project X Zone: A huge crossover game (everything from Resident Evil to Xenosaga making an appearance) with combat being a combination of TBS and fighting. Has a very large cast of characters and you get some huge battles (20+ units of your own against 30-50 units).
Devil Survivor Overclocked: Only played the DS version myself, but this is considered the complete version. Combat is a TBS/RPG hybrid that works quite well. Has a pokemon like element with the demons and the fusing thereof. Overall game is like a mashup of a visual novel and an RPG. Has mutilple endings based on who you align with, and I've managed to get 4 of them so far.

DS Recommendations:
Devil Survivor 2: Very similar in style and gameplay to DS1/DSO, but has a very solid story.
Radiant Historia: RPG involving time travel and one of the better put together plots I've played in recent years. Besides being quite fun to play, the game creates characters that you actually care about by the time you get to the end and you're not just saving the world to save the world, but for the sake of the characters you've met along the way.
The World Ends With You: One of the most unique games I think I've ever played and definitely in my top 5 for the DS. Takes a bit to get into, but once you get the hang of it you'll be hard pressed to put it down.

huttj509
2014-02-25, 04:08 PM

I feel the need to point out: You can MASSIVELY change the controls in that game. I'm a lefty, so first thing I do with games like that is check options to alter controls. You could assign any of the directional things to the touchscreen, control stick, d-pad, or xaby buttons, assigning additional stuff to buttons, LR, or buttons on the touchscreen. I was easily able to find a setup that felt comfortable to me.

I have not seen that many control options since, like, Goldeneye which had a variety of options for the various ways to grip the N64 controller (though deciphering the names for them and remembering which one you liked was awkward, as well as the partygame controller handoff, which led to "WTF is this control scheme!?").

The default is awkward, yes, so don't play on the default control setup.

Zevox
2014-02-25, 05:31 PM
I can't believe I'd forgotten about the Ace Attorney games. I have all of the DS ones laying around somewhere (Sans the Miles Edgeworth game, if that ever became a thing) , so I could introduce her to those.
Miles Edgeworth's first game did get an international release, as Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth. It has some surprising gameplay differences from the main series, but it's in general just as good. There is a second one too, but it never got released anywhere but Japan.

3DS Recommendations:
Project X Zone: A huge crossover game (everything from Resident Evil to Xenosaga making an appearance) with combat being a combination of TBS and fighting. Has a very large cast of characters and you get some huge battles (20+ units of your own against 30-50 units).
Devil Survivor Overclocked: Only played the DS version myself, but this is considered the complete version. Combat is a TBS/RPG hybrid that works quite well. Has a pokemon like element with the demons and the fusing thereof. Overall game is like a mashup of a visual novel and an RPG. Has mutilple endings based on who you align with, and I've managed to get 4 of them so far.

DS Recommendations:
Devil Survivor 2: Very similar in style and gameplay to DS1/DSO, but has a very solid story.
Radiant Historia: RPG involving time travel and one of the better put together plots I've played in recent years. Besides being quite fun to play, the game creates characters that you actually care about by the time you get to the end and you're not just saving the world to save the world, but for the sake of the characters you've met along the way.
The World Ends With You: One of the most unique games I think I've ever played and definitely in my top 5 for the DS. Takes a bit to get into, but once you get the hang of it you'll be hard pressed to put it down.
Much as I like all of those games, all but The World Ends With You are turn-based, so if she doesn't like turn-based gameplay, she likely won't like them.

The World Ends With You is certainly a very good one though.

I feel the need to point out: You can MASSIVELY change the controls in that game. I'm a lefty, so first thing I do with games like that is check options to alter controls. You could assign any of the directional things to the touchscreen, control stick, d-pad, or xaby buttons, assigning additional stuff to buttons, LR, or buttons on the touchscreen. I was easily able to find a setup that felt comfortable to me.

I have not seen that many control options since, like, Goldeneye which had a variety of options for the various ways to grip the N64 controller (though deciphering the names for them and remembering which one you liked was awkward, as well as the partygame controller handoff, which led to "WTF is this control scheme!?").

The default is awkward, yes, so don't play on the default control setup.
Honestly, I found the alternatives worse. The loss of precision from trying to aim with the buttons was just too much. Maybe it works better for a lefty, since you could make the analog stick the aiming mechanism more comfortably, but as a righty, I found the default preferable, even though it took some getting used to and was even painful on my wrist if I played for too long.

cha0s4a11
2014-02-26, 12:51 AM
On the games that are story + puzzles front I'd have to recommend Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (999) for the DS, a visual novel with multiple endings/escape the room by solving puzzles game that has an interesting combination of horror + mindscrew + math elements. Also, only one person in the game can be legitimately described as being "Too Dumb to Live" (and even then that could be debated), which is a refreshing quality in a horror game/story.

If you happen to like that, I'd then suggest playing its sequel Virtue's Last Reward on the 3DS. It consists of about the same amount of horror + way more mindscrew + Game Theory elements. I'd strongly advise against playing them out of order, given how stuff in Virtue's Last Reward either spoils 999 or requires knowing what happens in 999 to appreciate.