PDA

View Full Version : [PFS] Confused newbie trying to build a melee Bard

Crackers
2014-02-24, 06:58 PM
Hi, I'm starting out on D&D in general, except if you count PC RPGs :smalltongue:, I have lots of questions!, hope you can help.

This char would be for playing in PFS, so I only have 12 levels.

I was choosing an Aasimar Azata-Blooded Dawnflower of Dervish/Savage Skald and I was going to start with these ability scores:

STR 8
DEX 18
CON 13
INT 12
WIS 10
CHA 17

I am choosing bard as my prefered class and choose inspire courage as the performance to improve.

After some reading I thought this would be good traits:
Reactionary (For getting better initiative)
Indomitable Faith (I was thinking this would help with my low will saves)

For feats I was going to initially choose Arcane strike but then read that this was only good at the first levels and would lose efectiveness later on.

Without being completely sure I was thinking of choosing the flagbearer Feat since I have an empty hand.

Besides any tips for my build choices, I am more curious about how and if I should be doing some dipping in other classes, this is what I was thinking:

I could go with 10 levels of bard and at some point (maybe 6th level) dip a couple of levels in:

Sohei/Master of many style monk
Not sure about what styles to get, many people seem to like the crane style, I was thinking in phanter to get extra attacks and maybe boar?

Dipping here would also improve my will saves right?, so maybe I could change my Indomitable trait for a maestro of society?

or

Urban Barbarian
Since dipping would cost me getting the 12th level ability score I tought his rage would help with some dex bonus, not sure if I can perform while raging but I guess I could choose the lingering song feat

and

Ninja/Rogue/Viviseccionist
I was thinking these classes could help me by giving me the sneak attack option, but not sure which would be better. Also if I am going to be doing sneak attacks should I use the two weapon fighting feat?, then I should change the flagbearer feat since I wouldn't have a free hand (except if going viviseccionist and vestigial arm right?).

I was confused about the powers too, I read that bleeding damage would help with the low sneak attack damage later on, but then I read that bleeding damage was overrated?

If choosing the sneak attack classes, I wasn't sure if I should take only one level, and mix it with a single level of monk or barbarian or if I should dip 2 levels.

I also read that sorcerer and dragon disciple were good options but didn't understood how they would help this build.

And of course there is the option of sticking to bard all the way to 12th level.

The thing is I'm not completely sure what I loose and what I gain with each option.

Thanks in advance!! :smallsmile:

Crackers
2014-02-25, 10:39 AM
After reading some more I see now that I can't go TWF because of the dervish dance feat.

Would that mean that I shouldn't dip to get sneak attack?

I was also wondering about the gladiator fighter archetype, would you recommend the performance feats?

Snowbluff
2014-02-25, 10:47 AM
Stay bard. I would say Pick up Words of Creation (BoED, doubles inspire courage bonus), Song of the HEart (+1 Inspire Courage, MoE or PGtE) and Snowflake Wardance (Frostburn, Cha to attack). Dragonfire Inspiration would help your damage output, as well.

Do not play and archetype. By doing that, you are giving up the value of playing a bard and the support in 3.5 for the class features that make the class worthwhile.

Crackers
2014-02-25, 02:08 PM
I think I can't use any of those options in Pathfinder Society, I don't see them in the list of allowed resources.

I was having doubts about the Dervish archetype too, since I wouldn't support my team so much, but is the loss of fascinate too much? maybe I could keep the savage skald archetype.

If I'm not keeping the dervish archetype, what weapon would be good?, or should I get the feat via level progression? I read somewhere that whip is a good weapon?

Thanks a lot!

Snowbluff
2014-02-25, 02:15 PM
Your title is labeled incorrectly. When I see 3.5P, it leads me to believe 3.5 material is available. PFS would be better there.

Derivsh dance is still a good option, just don't use that archetype.

Crackers
2014-02-25, 02:29 PM
Fixed, thanks! I didn't knew about that

Kudaku
2014-02-25, 02:38 PM
Do you mean the Dervish Dancer or the Dervish of Dawn (Dawnflower Dervish) archetype?

The Dervish of Dawn archetype is excellent for a melee concept, though you do lose out on some of the party buff potential inherent to the bard.

Crackers
2014-02-25, 02:46 PM
Initially I was thinking on creating a dawnflower dervish/savage skald, but now I'm not sure if it's a good tradeoff, I could be helping the rest of the party if I don't choose that archetype.

Snowbluff
2014-02-25, 03:04 PM
Fixed, thanks! I didn't knew about that
No problem. :smallsmile:

Initially I was thinking on creating a dawnflower dervish/savage skald, but now I'm not sure if it's a good tradeoff, I could be helping the rest of the party if I don't choose that archetype.

Yeah. Keep in mind you could accomplish a similiar effect with a scimitar magus if you're not interested in party buffing. :smallwink: