PDA

View Full Version : ToB Gestalt Build Advice

Macabros
2014-02-24, 08:37 PM
Ok so I wanted to make a build using the Warblade//Arcane Swordsage.

Can anyone help me make the build? I just imagine it as a Swordsmen who has dabbled in the art of magic and knows some interesting tricks and so forth.

We are playing Rise of the Runelords (We use Gestalt due to there only being 2 players)

Grod_The_Giant
2014-02-24, 08:41 PM
We're going to need to know exactly what rules you're using for the arcane swordsage, since that "adaptation" is so vaguely defined that <insert hyperbole here>

Macabros
2014-02-24, 08:44 PM
If you prefer, you could instead emphasize the magical talents of the swordsage by giving the swordsage the ability to learn arcane spells in place of maneuvers of equivalent level.

Well the Swordsage can select a spell list like the Wizard and then learn spells from that list of the same level as he would learn maneuvers, so a level 1 spell in place of a level 1 maneuver.

The arcane spell is "cast" as if it were a martial maneuver.
This is vague but I think it means no Arcane Spell Failure.

Yorrin
2014-02-24, 08:51 PM
This is vague but I think it means no Arcane Spell Failure.

Is this your DM's opinion too? It would be worth checking.

Anyhow, I'm not sure what you're looking for here. Spell selection? Depends if you're allowed to pick any Wizard spell or if you're just using the suggested schools in the Arcane SS paragraph or what. Maneuvers/Stances? There are a lot of ways to go with those. Depends what you want to be able to do in combat (magical swordsman theme can inform your mechanics, but it's not enough to define your mechanics). Something else? Just not sure what you're asking for...

Macabros
2014-02-24, 08:52 PM
Spell list and Feat advice.
So far it seems to be the DMs view as well. Since we need to be the equal of 4 characters I am given some leeway.

And those are suggestions and even my DM had to admit they are just suggestions.

Dromuthra
2014-02-24, 08:55 PM
Enlarge Person is always good. Haste would be another good one to grab when you can.

Yorrin
2014-02-24, 09:02 PM
Spell list and Feat advice.
So far it seems to be the DMs view as well. Since we need to be the equal of 4 characters I am given some leeway.

And those are suggestions and even my DM had to admit they are just suggestions.

Cool. That's my ruling as well, but I'm a pretty lenient DM, so I always check when giving advice.

Well, there are a few directions to go with spells. Firstly I'd advise picking though these (http://community.wizards.com/comment/20798751#comment-20798751) to see if anything catches your eye. That being said if you're planning on emphasizing the swordsman side of things you can't go wrong with self buffing with things like like Mirror Image, Greater Blurring, Haste, Greater Invisibility, etc. If you're planning to just toss out a Save-or-Suck before jumping into melee then the classic batman wizard stuff like Grease, Glitterdust, Cloudkill, etc is great if you can get immunity to their effects as well. Or you could be a summoner/minionmancer with your own army to aid your battlefield tactics. And with smart spell selection you can pick two or three of these (at least?) and be pretty effective with them.

Feats are pretty dependent with your overall direction as well. Save-or-suck would push you toward CL and DC boosting feats, Summoning/minions have their own set of stuff (Augment Summon and/or Corpsecrafter line, for example). And all of them will likely want metamagic (if allowed, which it sounds like is likely). Extend spell is especially good for summons/buffs. And of course you can always grab the classic power attack->imp. bull rush->shock trooper->leap attack line to keep melee DPS high and/or get stuff like Imp. Trip if you're mostly just using your spells as buffs.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-02-24, 09:27 PM
"...giving the swordsage the ability to learn arcane spells in place of maneuvers of equivalent level."

If you would gain a maneuver, you can instead choose to learn an arcane spell of equivalent level.

There's a spell called Heroics in Spell Compendium that temporarily grants a Fighter bonus feat. You can learn this as a maneuver, and use it to temporarily gain Martial Study. In place of the maneuver temporarily gained from Martial Study, you can temporarily learn an arcane spell. You can then ready this spell as a maneuver and initiate it.

Example spells to use this with include Greater Magic Weapon, (Greater) Mage Armor, Heart of Air/Water/Earth/Fire, Greater/Superior Resistance, Rope Trick, Energy Immunity, Mind Blank, Primal Hunter/Instinct/Senses/Speed, and anything else with an hour/level or 24-hour duration. Keep in mind you can buff the rest of the party with a few of these.

In addition, you can learn and use any arcane spell in the game whenever it's needed. You always have exactly the right spell to handle any given situation you'll ever find yourself in. Plus you can use it for situational spells like Magic Circle against Evil, Resist/Protection from Energy, Mass Resist Energy, etc.

Needless to say, my gaming group doesn't allow Arcane Swordsage any more.

Yorrin
2014-02-24, 09:30 PM
stuff

Haha, I was trying to go for non-abusive use of the class. As BF points out, this could potentially be one of the more powerful classes in the game...

Abithrios
2014-02-24, 10:54 PM
Needless to say, my gaming group doesn't allow Arcane Swordsage any more.

Would Arcane Swordsage still be crazy if that specific trick isn't used/allowed?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-02-24, 11:05 PM
Would Arcane Swordsage still be crazy if that specific trick isn't used/allowed?

Yes. Most classes only get 2-3 daily uses of their highest level spells when they gain them, an Arcane Swordsage can use it as often as every other round as soon as he gets it. Whirling Blade every other round at 3rd level, Fireball every other round at 5th level, Ice Storm every other round at 7th level, etc. Plus he can get spells like Shrink Item and Ruby Ray of Reversal and Disintegrate.