PDA

View Full Version : Soulknife multi-throw vs free draw

Silentone98
2014-02-24, 11:19 PM
one of my players is trying out a thri-kreen soulknife.

while discussing it, we ran into a bit of confusion on the free draw(Lvl5)

Free Draw (Su)

At 5th level, a soulknife becomes able to materialize his mind blade as a free action instead of a move action. He can make only one attempt to materialize the mind blade per round, however.

and Multi-throw(Lvl17)

Multiple Throw (Ex)

At 17th level and higher, a soulknife can throw a number of mind blades per round equal to the number of melee attacks he could make.

as you cant throw something that isn't manifested- do you need to manifest these mind blades first? which would force you into making 1 each round before you could multi-throw it.

or do you simply throw them all as if you already had the mind blades? I.E. instantaneous manifest as the text would suggest- since you cant throw something that's not manifested.
If this ones the case, do we at this point chalk this up to something only possible during a multi-throw, or is the soulknife at this point capable of spawning 4 Mind Blades at once in each hand for regular purposes as well?

perhaps we are reading into this a bit much- but I would hate to tell him "No you can only spawn 1 mind blade at a time, even at lvl 17, as that is a function of multi-throw only and free draw clearly states your limitation" if he was legitimately entitled to it, this wouldn't be very cool.
and then,... maybe since soulknifes get little as it is, I should just houserule it as giving him that capability anyhow,... its level 17 after all and such a small thing.

thoughts?

Phelix-Mu
2014-02-24, 11:43 PM
The fifth level ability lets you regain a mindblade every round, effectively letting you throw one per round if you wish (or two, but you can't throw two every round). The 17th level ability is an improvement, letting you throw as many as you want (and thus removing the restriction to remanifesting one mindblade per round).

The overall thing to keep in mind is that Soulknife is generally not going to crack the game wide open. You could give him the full 17th level ability at 5th, and it would basically be like giving a normal fighter that gauntlet of infinite daggers thing from the the MIC, along with Quick Draw. In other words, it's a crappy 17th level ability.

Silentone98
2014-02-25, 01:29 AM
lol, thank you.

I wish they were alittle more clear on the restriction from Free draws one blade per round, having been lifted.
Still doesn't quite answer if the manifesting regular non-thrown blades restriction is lifted at level 17 because of that ability- or if mind blades, for the purpose of throwing, simply bypass the restriction.

But I agree there is nothing game breaking there and we may well do as you suggest.
Thanks for the input

StreamOfTheSky
2014-02-25, 02:17 AM
I'd just like to also agree. Delete that dumb sentence from Free Draw and just Delete the 17th level class feature entirely.

ZOMG, the soulknife can full attack with thrown weapons at 5th level! Egads!

I seriously don't get how the designers can be so insanely stupid when it comes to what's overpowered and what's not. Soulknife and Monk being the prime examples, along w/ CW Samurai.

Psyren
2014-02-25, 09:00 AM
For the love of the gods, use the Pathfinder Soulknife (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/soulknife) instead. Waiting until level 17 to make multiple ranged attacks is cruel and unusual punishment.