PDA

View Full Version : How efficient is ghostwalk to use as a campaign book?

CyberThread
2014-02-25, 12:21 AM
So various settings, has one sourcebook so to say, where it tells everything about the world; I want to try something radically different, and treat ghostwalk as the sourcebook, I think it was meant to be not just a supplement.

How do folks feel, about the book overall, to not have it lean on other settings for inspiration ?

CyberThread
2014-02-25, 10:20 AM
good morning, bump.

Cirrylius
2014-02-25, 06:54 PM
As settings go, it's obviously not nearly as well fleshed out as Faerun or Eberron, but it's got a fair list of local magic items, monsters, classes, feats, and such. The local rules of life, death, resurrection, reincarnation, and afterlife get a significant amount of attention. Most of the geographical material focuses on Manifest, the largest and busiest city of the setting, but the surrounding... few hundred miles of territory and their major cities get fairly comprehensive flavor blurbs of several paragraphs each.

Considering that the second hit for "ghostwalk 3.5" is an open viewer of the PDF, I'd suggest glancing at that if you still have any doubts.

...BEFORE PURCHASING A HARDCOPY OR DRIVETHRURPG COPY, BECAUSE ADVOCATING PIRACY IS PROBABLY AGAINST FORUM RULES AND MIGHT STILL BE ACTIONABLE VIA COPYRIGHT EVEN TEN YEARS LATER.

nyjastul69
2014-02-25, 07:29 PM
As settings go, it's obviously not nearly as well fleshed out as Faerun or Eberron, but it's got a fair list of local magic items, monsters, classes, feats, and such. The local rules of life, death, resurrection, reincarnation, and afterlife get a significant amount of attention. Most of the geographical material focuses on Manifest, the largest and busiest city of the setting, but the surrounding... few hundred miles of territory and their major cities get fairly comprehensive flavor blurbs of several paragraphs each.

Considering that the second hit for "ghostwalk 3.5" is an open viewer of the PDF, I'd suggest glancing at that if you still have any doubts.

...BEFORE PURCHASING A HARDCOPY OR DRIVETHRURPG COPY, BECAUSE ADVOCATING PIRACY IS PROBABLY AGAINST FORUM RULES AND MIGHT STILL BE ACTIONABLE VIA COPYRIGHT EVEN TEN YEARS LATER.

The last bit here is very important. Do realize that Ghostwalk is a 3.0 supplement. It's one of the very last ones. There is an update document which, along with some other info, can be found here (http://www.seankreynolds.com/rpgfiles/ghostwalk/).

Kaje
2014-02-25, 07:36 PM
Note that it's probably best to just houserule away the whole "Ghosts can't take more levels in the ghosty classes than their other classes" rule. That coupled with the rule that ghosts can't take non-ghosty classes makes them nearly unplayable. Which is frickin stupid in a setting built around playing ghosts.

nyjastul69
2014-02-25, 08:13 PM
Note that it's probably best to just houserule away the whole "Ghosts can't take more levels in the ghosty classes than their other classes" rule. That coupled with the rule that ghosts can't take non-ghosty classes makes them nearly unplayable. Which is frickin stupid in a setting built around playing ghosts.

Heh, I haven't read Ghoatwalk in years but your first point rings a very solid 'memory bell'. I'd have to reread the rules to have an opinion on your second point. My guess is that the designers didn't really want the rules to be abused in an unforseen manner and put caps in place that they thought would prevent abuse. That's my vague recollection anyhow.

Fax Celestis
2014-02-25, 08:17 PM

Pg 17 has a variant that handles explicitly that.

I almost feel like Ghostwalk has it backwards: you should use the Eidolon/Eidoloncer classes to represent playing a Ghostwalk ghost in a regular game, whereas in a Ghostwalk game, you shouldn't use them.

avr
2014-02-25, 09:51 PM
On the non-ghost stuff, the Ghostwalk campaign setting is very much of the opinion that classes should be linked to setting elements - barbarians come from this nation only, sorcerers are encouraged to come from that nation and to have green eyes, etc. If you like this sort of linkage you may like the setting, if you'd prefer to have your barbarian be a drunken brawler from a 'civilised' nation you may find it irritating.

Irk
2014-02-25, 10:49 PM
Pg 17 has a variant that handles explicitly that.

I almost feel like Ghostwalk has it backwards: you should use the Eidolon/Eidoloncer classes to represent playing a Ghostwalk ghost in a regular game, whereas in a Ghostwalk game, you shouldn't use them.
What's funny about that is I have a player using Ghostwalk ghost WITHOUT those classes in an upcoming ghostwalk game. I can't take him too seriously though as he is playing an unseelie fey ghostwalk ghost gnome Beguiler 1/Shadowcaster 5 using the enhanced reality tricks with earth spell and heighten spell. He may have to die be spoken to OoC in a calm and mature manner.

ZamielVanWeber
2014-02-25, 11:09 PM
Using a ghostwalk character in a normal game actually works out pretty spiffy, especially since ghost feats do a good job of copying class features, you end up playing a fun, if somewhat under powered at times, warlock.

Nihilarian
2014-02-25, 11:16 PM
If you're playing a ghost campaign, there's no reason you can't just give all the PC's the ghost template for free. I agree that it's likely pretty interesting if you want a ghost in a part of nonghosts, though. The template and the feats at least. I'd probably let the character play whatever class they want and be able to pick up the ghost feats with bonus feats if they get bonus feats from the class. And of course, they can pick them up with regular feats as well.