PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Loxodon PEACH

CrankyPsion
2014-02-25, 12:23 AM
I fell in love with the idea of these sage elephant-folk, here is my attempt:

Racial Traits

+2 Str, +2 Wis, +2 Con, -2 Cha, –2 Dex: Loxodon are physically impressive and wise, but none too nimble or overly friendly.

Medium: Loxodon are Medium (though on the upper scale towards large) creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.

Normal Speed: Loxodon have a base speed of 30 feet.

Low-Light Vision: Loxodon can see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light. See Vision and Light.

Powerful Build: The physical stature of Loxodon lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever a Loxodon is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for a Combat Maneuver Bonus or Combat Maneuver Defense (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the Loxodon is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. A Loxodon is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature's special attacks based on size (such as grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A Loxodon can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefts of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject's size category.

Hardy: Loxodon gain a +2 natural armor bonus and a +2 racial bonus to Survival checks.

Perceptive: Loxodon gain a +2 to perception.

Tusks: Loxodon gain a gore attack with their tusks treated as natural weapons that deal 1d6 points of damage.

Languages: Loxodon begin play speaking Common and Loxo. Loxodon with sufficiently high intelligence can choose among all the common languages.

CrankyPsion
2014-02-25, 03:08 PM
....is it that bad?

DeusMortuusEst
2014-02-25, 03:13 PM
It's not bad, though I would say that it feels a bit bland. There's nothing that makes it stick out and with all the 'brew around it can be hard to attract people sometimes.

Anyway, the race itself looks good, though it feels slight more powerful than a standard race. OTOH I play mainly 3.5 and I don't know if PF upped the average strength of the standard races.

I would say that this at least worth +1 LA, if PF still uses that.

CrankyPsion
2014-02-25, 03:37 PM
Pathfinder does not use the whole LA thing, which can make the line between pc and monster a little....hazy.

I agree, looking back it does seem a bit bland. Im afraid if I spiff it up too much ill end up with something too OP for a character to play.

Which leads me to the question, if you were to add or subtract something, what would you do?

(flavor wise I had the loxodon from Magic The Gathering in mind but...I wont lie I was also thinking about the elephant people from the new Thundercats cartoon. Couldnt help it, loved them)

DeusMortuusEst
2014-02-26, 07:10 AM
When I said bland, what I meant was that there was nothing special about the entry that made it stick out among all the other homebrew around, which might be why you didn't se any replies.

I actually think that the race itself is fine rules-wise, though it would be interesting to have some fluff along with it. Right now it's just a couple of rules with nothing that holds them together.

Debihuman
2014-02-26, 10:12 PM
Just for comparison, see this version: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12693253&postcount=1

Debby

CrankyPsion
2014-02-28, 03:23 AM
Well I be....
If I had seen his version earlier I would have just used his!
Oh well, atleast it was neat to see how two strangers can think very much alike.