PDA

View Full Version : Tier 4-5 gestalt

DrGonzo
2014-02-25, 04:24 AM
Hey guys,

We're starting a new campaign with 2-3 players, and everybody plays a gestalt character made up of tier 4 or 5 classes. The setting is sort of late 18th century, think 3 musketeers.

I have totally no inspiration for what to play, so I thought: maybe the playground has some interesting ideas.

Race is human, and we have to fit in (No half naked greataxe wielding barbarians and such)..

Thanks in advance!

Kennisiou
2014-02-25, 04:44 AM
If nobody's playing it, maybe consider going utility mage. Grab Adept and Warlock and you have a ton of utility as well as the ability to contribute meaningfully to combat.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-02-25, 08:34 AM
Illumian, two flaws, Subtle Sigil, Improved Sigil: Krau, Versatile Spellcaster, Warmage 1/ Rainbow Servant (reflavored to Phoenix Servant) 10/ whatever 9. A Phoenix Servant would gain the Good, Fire, and Renewal domains, get Detect Evil and probably Detect Magic, and everything else would pretty much be the same. Even if your DM doesn't allow the text to override the table and give full spellcasting, it's worth it. Plus Versatile Spellcaster gives you early access to the next higher level of spells anyway. Combine that with Warlock 20 or even Rogue 4/ Swashbuckler 16 with Daring Outlaw.

If the above spellcaster wouldn't fit in for some reason, a Warlock 20// Mystic Ranger 5/ Enlightened Spirit 10/ Mystic Ranger 5 is actually quite good. Enlightened spirit doesn't actually progress any Warlock class features, it simply improves a few via a separate, different progression (bonus damage without a caster level increase for EB), so everything it gives you will stack with Warlock. It gives you an invocation that grants flight for free, so you don't need to spend one on Fell Flight. It also gives you a greater invocation at your 10th level, so your third lesser invocation can be a greater invocation instead.

Diovid
2014-02-25, 08:48 AM
For an actual Musketeer I'd go with Rogue // Swashbuckler or better yet Rogue 1 / Swashbuckler 3 / Rogue +16 // CW Samurai 20 with the Dead Levels update (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20070227x) to the Swashbuckler and Samurai and using the Daring Outlaw feat (Complete Scoundrel).

Also note the various alternative class features (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=3ovjpf022hvbutnllqqtcod0q4&topic=7908) for the Rogue and Swasbuckler.

Krazzman
2014-02-25, 08:53 AM
Hey guys,

We're starting a new campaign with 2-3 players, and everybody plays a gestalt character made up of tier 4 or 5 classes. The setting is sort of late 18th century, think 3 musketeers.

I have totally no inspiration for what to play, so I thought: maybe the playground has some interesting ideas.

Race is human, and we have to fit in (No half naked greataxe wielding barbarians and such)..

Thanks in advance!

Barbarian//Dragon Shaman with a Bonespear and such for when playing as Aztec or something?

Ranger//Dragon Shaman for playing Indian?

Ranger//Rogue when playing somewhere around Europe?

Gunslinger//Ranger for playing a western scenario.

What Gunsystem do you use?

Psyren
2014-02-25, 10:28 AM
Warlock//Rogue is a great choice for the skillmonkey. Sneak around to a hiding place and you should be able to snipe holes in people with ease, especially if you add in Craven, while also being extremely useful outside of combat too. "Tap: Destroy target creature."

mangosta71
2014-02-25, 10:57 AM
How would you feel about soulknife/soulbow//rogue? Kill people with your brain. The psionic class also opens up some neat feat options (Speed of Thought and Up the Walls, Psionic Charge is fun if you're a melee type). Plus, autohypnosis is an awesome skill.

Fouredged Sword
2014-02-25, 11:00 AM
I would be tempted to do a swashbuckler build of some kind. I think something like...

Rogue 3 / Swashbuckler 17 // Ranger 3 // Scout 17.

You want to take daring outlaw, swift tracker, and swift ambusher. Spring attack into flanking positions and deal massive damage with your rapier.

Trade one of your instances of evasion for ray reflection to deal with pesky warlocks!

Nihilarian
2014-02-25, 11:18 AM
I would be tempted to do a swashbuckler build of some kind. I think something like...

Rogue 3 / Swashbuckler 17 // Ranger 3 // Scout 17.

You want to take daring outlaw, swift tracker, and swift ambusher. Spring attack into flanking positions and deal massive damage with your rapier.

Trade one of your instances of evasion for ray reflection to deal with pesky warlocks!Swift Ambusher isn't worth it as it adds your rogue level to your scout level to determine Skirmish. In other words, +1d6 for this build. And if I were the DM I wouldn't let multiclass feats function across the gestalt line.

For another idea: The Knight has a great chassis. Some kind of Knight//Marshal build could be fun. Or maybe a dragon shaman.

Raimun
2014-02-25, 12:37 PM
I would combine Ranger with Warmage.

I would go for the twohander-power attack-shock trooper-leaping attack build.

Ranger because of flexibility and easy access to Horizon Walker and the sweet 11th level Dimension Door. Ranger combat style could as well be archery, I don't care about that. You could also sneak a bit, since Hide and Move Silently are class skills for both the class and PrC and Horizon Walker can give you bonuses for that and also Darkvision. After 6th level of Horizon Walker (at 11th level) you could take the rest of your levels as a Ranger or continue as a Walker.

Not sure if this is that effective but I think it sounds like fun. All the combat power of Leaping Power Attack Shocktrooper but with the extra flexibility of Dimension Doors and (up to) 9th level* spells*.

*Evocation but still...