PDA

View Full Version : [3.5/PF E6] Solo Blind Adventures

Lonely Tylenol
2014-02-25, 06:37 AM
OK, so in my long-running E6 group, I have two members of the party who are essentially on solo adventures in the coming week: The first player is a blind Vow of Poverty monk (who has, being voluntarily blind, made some accommodations to his character to adapt to his blindness). The second is a Shadowcaster who is temporarily blind.

The situation is as follows:

The party (which consists of eight people) traveled by flight for several hours to find a portal to the Plane of Shadow so that they could attune the Shadowcaster to her staff. When they finally got to the portal, they cleared out the there creatures that had been corrupted by the Plane of Shadow, and then--just as they were stepping through the portal--the monk declared that he had no desire to join them in the Plane of Shadow, and went back down the mountain on foot. The rest of the party joined the Shadowcaster, so the monk was left to go alone.

Following the lore of her weapon, the Shadowcaster and the rest of the group sought out the Blinding Tower, and were able to make it there with relatively little difficulty. When they made it at last to the Blinding Tower, the entire party ventured into the light--and every last one of them was stricken blind. The Shadowcaster listened for guidance from the staff, and alone was led to the location of the actual tower, where she awaits the final trial to ascension.

The result of all this is: I now have two characters who are completely separated from the rest of the party--and also completely blind.

The reward for this Shadowcaster is something I concocted a long time ago (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250972) (the third tier of the weapon's legacy, and the upgrade from Shadow to Shade as described here). As such, I would like the inside of the tower to actually have some meaningfully difficult trials, and perhaps even consciously incorporate the blindness aspect--but I'm not sure exactly how I should go about this.

There is no reward for the monk here; he simply made a decision that caught me flat-footed, and now he's several towns away, in the wilderness, alone, and blind. Saying "you arrive in town a few days later" seems like something of a cop-out, since navigation itself will be difficult, so maybe I will use this opportunity to throw him some largely environmental challenges, and perhaps an encounter that develops his morality a bit (ambushed by impoverished bandits, or something; he can choose to simply fight them down, or, if he hears them out, help them).

I guess I wasn't expecting to have to challenge two players to overcome their characters' blindness in two very different ways at exactly the same time, so I'm caught more than a little off-guard here. Do you have any pointers?

Psyren
2014-02-25, 09:14 AM
Any reason you can't just use normal encounters? The blindness itself is challenge enough.

If what you're worried about is killing them, place something in each dungeon to give that player an edge. Maybe the VoP monk comes across a bandit camp or a monster's lair with a prisoner, who helps him out (e.g. by shouting warnings) after being freed. Towards the end, the prisoner might try to betray him in some way, putting his exalted nature to the test. As for the Shadowcaster, maybe she finds a strange potion not far into the dungeon that lets her see every other round - this forces her to use her mysteries as tactically as possible during the periods where she can aim them.

Beyond that, if a player chooses to be blind they should expect to have a rough time of it unless they've specifically got some kind of special power to deal with it. It's not a condition that lends itself well to adventuring really. If they've dealt with being blind for a long time I might give them 10ft. blindsense and 5ft. blindsight or something.

Lonely Tylenol
2014-02-25, 05:28 PM
Any reason you can't just use normal encounters? The blindness itself is challenge enough.

I would like the Blinding Tower's challenges to be centered around that fact, like a sort of adventure themed around overcoming that difficulty, due to the special nature of the location. That's the part I'm having trouble with--creating an encounter (perhaps even puzzle-style) that highlights blindness as a centerpiece.

The monk's can be whatever, but the challenges, in my opinion, are going to be simply finding the way back.

Lonely Tylenol
2014-02-26, 02:28 PM
I hate to bump my own posts, but is there anyone out there who has any other suggestions? I'm planning on running both of their adventures tomorrow, so I'd like to be as prepared as possible. Notably, I'd like to see if there is a non-combat encounter or obstacle I can fit within the Blinding Tower that one can solve blind (with lateral thinking) to round out such an adventure.

Yorrin
2014-02-26, 03:08 PM
That tower run sounds like a lot of fun! For puzzles I think what you're looking for is the sort of thing that couldn't be solved by sight alone anyway, but that is made more difficult by being blind, yes?

The problem is that a lot of these types of puzzles could get EXTREMELY frustrating. Especially if you have a solution planned out already.

Something as simple as a multi-floored maze could be interesting, as tracking progress could be difficult. But that would take a good amount of time to draw up, which you're apparently short on. Another idea is some sort of puzzle involving multiple items of identical shapes and differing weight. Or even a classic "closing walls" room with a clearly visible button as the disarm on a fairly easy Search check to cause a brief moment of panic. Bonus points for the button not actually stopping the trap, but rather opening a trapdoor directly underneath and having her land on/in the next puzzle.

Averis Vol
2014-02-26, 03:08 PM
I know you said it was E6, but what level are they?

As for general purpose, if the tower requires you to be blind, I feel like the trials should test their other senses.

So maybe one for each sense besides sight.

Sound: the first chamber you enter is filled with a multitude of sounds, coming from seemingly every angle imaginable. You try to parse out the individual voices, but the sheer numbers make it difficult (Listen check W/ appropriate DC) when you finally start to separate the voices, you hear they are each telling you directions. (make the room actually only have one true walkway, maybe over a pit of water, or something more deadly, and have each voice give different steps. Something like "2 left 5 forward 3 right 2 back 2 right ten forward" and have maybe, 5 variations. your player can then try and guess, or smese motive, which is right.)

Smell: this is harder without scent or some extra ordinary sense of smell. It could also very well be ignored. (this is sort of a cop out as I really cant think of anything for smell)

touch: also a bit hard, maybe have a square room with the only noticeable feature being different wall textures. When the player enters in, the staff tells him that he must return the stones in the center of the walls to their proper resting places. One wall will be fine grained, one very coarse, one entirely smooth, and one grooved. they will also all be different shapes, so the player then needs to decide if it's the shape or texture that determines the stones true home. If they get it wrong, maybe start forcing low level spell effects on them. (doesn't matter which as this is more a war of attrition and reasoning.)

taste: beats me here. good luck getting a blind PC to put something in his mouth.

So, only two really that I can help with, but I hope the idea at least helped.

Lonely Tylenol
2014-02-26, 09:09 PM
Thank you both for the great ideas!

Yorrin: you are spot on! I want encounters that use something other than sight to succeed, but can be made more difficult by being sightless. I also like your suggestions; in particular, I like the "multiple floor maze" and "weight puzzle" things.

Averis Vol: the both of them are level 6, but the Shadowcaster, having been around longer, is several feats in, whereas the monk is working on his first extra feat. Like the ideas here as well, and I'll have to find a way to incorporate sound and touch more!

Averis Vol
2014-02-27, 12:44 AM
No problem! I hope the encounter goes well for all involved!