PDA

View Full Version : BARD BUILD TO COUNTER THE "Mail Man"

quandong
2014-02-25, 09:30 AM
Is there even such a thing ?

Nerd-o-rama
2014-02-25, 09:35 AM
Spellbreaker song?

Dragonfire Inspiration cheese to match his metamagic cheese? No wait, you still have to find/hit a full spellcaster with a weapon, and even on a damage-focused sorc that's unlikely

Why a bard, particularly?

Rebel7284
2014-02-25, 09:36 AM
A bard that knows Ray Deflection spell from SpC?

Brookshw
2014-02-25, 09:51 AM
Or better yet friendly fire if they get it. Otherwise just about anything that would grant full cover.

Psyren
2014-02-25, 10:03 AM
Use Diplomancy to send an army of Inferi orphan children patsies to soak up his spells, and finish him off when he runs out.

quandong
2014-02-25, 10:09 AM
Im choosin bard because I never played one and now I realized how badass they are.

ImaDeadMan
2014-02-25, 10:11 AM
Use Diplomancy to send an army of Inferi orphan children patsies to soak up his spells, and finish him off when he runs out.

"And I sent wave after wave of my own men until the enemy hit their kill limit and shut down"
- Zap Brannigan (paraphrased)

But maybe you could cast silence on him or an object near him.

Another option would be to use a fear build as a bard and shut down the caster with no save fear spells until he actually can't take any actions.

Snowbluff
2014-02-25, 10:20 AM
A bard that knows Ray Deflection spell from SpC?
Take it a step further and use Friendly Fire. "Orbs are useless and every time your try one of your friends dies."

Being immune to to the energy damage types and finding a way around force damage would do it as well.

Urpriest
2014-02-25, 11:06 AM
Take it a step further and use Friendly Fire. "Orbs are useless and every time your try one of your friends dies."

Being immune to to the energy damage types and finding a way around force damage would do it as well.

Friendly Fire is fine for this, yeah, and no harder to get on a Bard than on most casters.

Might I ask why you're so interested in countering a specific build?

Rebel7284
2014-02-25, 11:33 AM
I specifically looked up friendly fire (http://dndtools.eu/spells/exemplars-of-evil--64/friendly-fire--4965/) before posting as it is a better spell.
It is Druid 4, Sorcerer 4, Wizard 4,

However, Ray Deflection (http://dndtools.eu/spells/spell-compendium--86/ray-deflection--4063/) is Bard 4, Sorcerer 4, Wizard 4.

With Sublime Chord being featured in most optimized bard builds, it may be a small difference, but since we ARE talking about bards, I felt a bard spell is a better suggestion. =)

Larkas
2014-02-25, 11:40 AM
Summon Monster I -> Celestial Dog?

Oh, wait-

Axinian
2014-02-25, 11:43 AM
He's a bard, he shouldn't even be in the path of destruction to begin with. He can do plenty of damage by being elsewhere. A bard villain (I assume this is a villain) is the sort who doesn't let himself get caught in a straight up fight unless he's desperate. If he does, he has a bunch of charmed/dominated minions to soak up damage

But yeah, Ray Deflection.