PDA

View Full Version : The Dread Druid

Zombulian
2014-02-25, 10:05 AM
Alright guy, I've been working with a concept that I need your help with. I'm trying to make a necromancer that pretends to be a druid. I've already come up with a basic concept of how it'll work: gentle repose on all of my summons/minions to make it seem like I've got SNA, and either having the Dread Necromancer imp familiar always be in wolf form, or cast gentle repose on the Death's Master's Zombie Wolf companion.

I am having trouble finding other ways to pull tricks like this, and I'm a little stuck deciding on which class to work with. The both have certain tricks I could use to help the idea along.
What does the playground recommend? Any PrC ideas are welcome as well.

Falcon X
2014-02-25, 11:30 AM
Blighter (CV) pretty much IS the prestige class with this flavor. He has undead wildshape and other anti-druid flavor. But it wouldn't get you very far with the necromancer side.
Possibly a blend with Archivist?

Plant grafts from Eberron might be a good idea too.

Ruethgar
2014-02-25, 11:42 AM
A Reaver Druid can pass as a necromancer, it was in either Wilds or Wildscape I am AFB atm though. They also can replace your AC with an undead.

etrpgb
2014-02-25, 11:52 AM
Archivist and try to get as many Dread Necromancer and Druid spells?

nedz
2014-02-25, 11:52 AM
Dread Necromancer with a few Arcane Disciple feats would get you some divine spells potentially with a nature feel. AD does require a patron deity though so you'd have to choose a suitable one.

Grabbing the Animal Domain would open up Spontaneous Summoner (from 9th) which would give you some SNAs.

Wild Soul (Complete Mage p84) is also an option. This is an arcane Fey type class which gets you some more spells known, as well as some more summons. It does cost you a level of spellcasting though.

Telonius
2014-02-25, 12:06 PM
You might want some sort of Tongues effect to emulate the secret Druid language, in case an actual Druid shows up and says hello.

Zombulian
2014-02-25, 12:56 PM
You might want some sort of Tongues effect to emulate the secret Druid language, in case an actual Druid shows up and says hello.

That's definitely a good idea.

Thank you to everyone for your additions. But I would like to point out that I actually want to still be a necromancer who is simply pretending to be a druid, not embracing druidic ways.
Maybe Arcane Disciple for Illusion Domain to disguise my minions?

etrpgb
2014-02-25, 02:54 PM
About the language, it is a weird case where clever roleplaying can workaround a problem. Find a Blighter or an ex-druid, ask him to teach you the language. 2 skill points at the next level-up and you are done.

Otherwise consider the feat Bardic Tutelage (Druidic), but you need to be a bard :).

gorfnab
2014-02-25, 05:55 PM
Druid (Wild Reaper ACF, Drag#311) into the Talontar Blightlord (UE) prestige class might be an option.