PDA

View Full Version : PF - Inquisitor and Paladin working together

mevans7
2014-02-25, 12:17 PM
Me and my group are getting ready to start a new homebrew campaign. While the setting is homebrew, we generally like to stick to RAW as far as everything else goes.

So, we've got a group of characters that's a bit eccentric:
a bones oracle (played as a clumsy gravedigger with the haunted curse),
a maniacal cackling witch of questionable sanity (and morals, though generally not evil,
druid with a flare for spiders,
me - the oradin, and oddly gifted paladin who doesn't actually "know" she's an oracle, but when her friends are hurt she literally feels their pain,
and an LE inquisitor of pharasma who's seeks to toe the line between life and death in order to greater understand mortality.

With the introductions out of the way, one of our rules is that we've got within the first 2 (3 max) games to play with our guys and figure out how they work in a group and if necessary, retcon their backgrounds and lore in order to make it work as a cohesive group.

A paladin would have been a good match for ou previous campaign, but in this setting, I've actually become the outcast. My group is generally neutral, but mostly chaotic. The inquisitor and I have mutual respect for one another and, though evil, we understand the importance of lawfulness. My general question is, how could an inquisitor and paladin work together effectively?

My general idea was to say the we could worship the same lawful neutral deity, and work as two sides of the same coin, but the only real choice there is Abadar, which is a huge depature for him from Pharasma. What other ways could we get through without my paladin-ness being a roadblock for the rest of the party?

Psyren
2014-02-25, 12:44 PM
If it's a homebrew setting, why stick to PF deities? Wee Jas would be perfect for both of you.

stack
2014-02-25, 01:12 PM
I thought Pharasma could have paladins despite the neutral alignment, but I don't know where I got that idea.

Ravens_cry
2014-02-25, 01:24 PM
I thought Pharasma could have paladins despite the neutral alignment, but I don't know where I got that idea.
No deity has Paladins, as they are empowered by the forces of Law and Good in the universe as a whole and not by specific deities. If you want Paladins of specific gods, the Holy Warrior cleric archetype from the old campaign setting book (full BAB, no domains, heavy armour and favoured weapon proficiency) would work awesomely. One of my dream characters is such a 'Paladin' of Pharasma, wielding a scythe* and riding a pale horse. Well, grey anyway.
*Yes, I know that's not her weapon. But she is a Death goddess, and there is ways to wield that weapon.

BWR
2014-02-25, 02:19 PM
No deity has Paladins, as they are empowered by the forces of Law and Good in the universe as a whole and not by specific deities.

Where are you getting that?
There are tons of references to deities being patrons of paladins in D&D games. Gods are not the only source of paladins but they are most definitely a legitimate one.

Spore
2014-02-25, 02:22 PM
There are tons of references to deities being patrons of paladins in D&D games. Gods are not the only source of paladins but they are most definitely a legitimate one.

PF CRB flavor text about paladins.

BWR
2014-02-25, 02:33 PM
You mean the bit that contains

paladins seek not just to spread divine justice but to embody the teachings of the virtuous deities they serve.
?

Ravens_cry
2014-02-25, 02:41 PM

Just because you serve someone does not necessarily mean they are a source of your power. A druid or ranger might revere nature gods and think of a certain one as their patron, but that's not the source of their power either.
On the converse, any fighter or rogue can, if they so chose, be considered to serve a god, even if they don't receive anything directly back.

grarrrg
2014-02-25, 08:48 PM
My general idea was to say the we could worship the same lawful neutral deity, and work as two sides of the same coin, but the only real choice there is Abadar

According to the Wiki (http://pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Lawful_neutral_deities), there are 7 LN deities (possibly more, the wiki is kinda scatterbrained like that).
Granted, most of those are lesser, but there are more options than just the one.

Psyren
2014-02-25, 09:26 PM
According to the Wiki (http://pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Lawful_neutral_deities), there are 7 LN deities (possibly more, the wiki is kinda scatterbrained like that).
Granted, most of those are lesser, but there are more options than just the one.

Good find but it's still... kinda sparse. Irori is basically for monks, Alseta is "goddess of doors" which doesn't seem to fit, Aroden's dead and the rest are dwarves.

(I wonder what an Inquisitor of Irori would do. Maybe go beat up clergy that aren't working out often enough...?)

EDIT: I think Magdh (http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Magdh) would fit well.